Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 01/01/2019 – 01/06/2018 Week Thread

This topic contains 170 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  jforb 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 171 total)
  • Author

Participant

During Tomlin’s press conference, Brown chimed in on social media:

“My opinions may seem limited by people or circumstances. It is then that I remind myself I am in command of my attitude. I am divinely blessed with free will. I utilize that gift, choosing to take charge of my life; to express the creativity, vitality, and wholeness that truly define me.”

And gosh darn it, people like me.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Claude45
    Participant

I can’t wait to watch the Ravens get their ass kicked in the playoffs.

7 users thanked author for this post.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Unless it’s moving to some other (smaller one recommended) venue, looks like the First Responder Bowl is dun before it ever started…next year’s Winter Classic is at the Cotton Bowl Stadium.

that place is the shits. Think of the Big E with big tank in the middle of it.

It seems like they’ve thrown money into the place (even upgraded it a bit) but for nothing other than the Texas/OU game. Strange to do that for one event.

The Cotton Bowl has been an after thought here in Dallas because of a few things.

– Jerry Jones has AT&T and the Ford Center which has some games

– Rangers have their Ballpark and a new one being built

-FC Dallas just had the Frisco Bowl in their stadium and will have 1AA National Championship

– Then Allen and McKinney High Schools just built two decent stadiums for High School football.

For outdoor hockey they probably could use the Rangers Ballpark or FC Dallas instead.

When I thought I was moving to the Dallas area 2 years ago I visited both Allen and McKinney. that Allen stadium is as big as Fitton Field at Holy Cross. Obviously nicer since it is a modern stadium. For a High School. Unreal.

And all the Frisco schools share
    Jerry Jones practice facility and FC Dallas for their football games. The area around JJ practice facility is like a mini Gillette stadium shopping area.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

The first time I was ever in Houston, I was gobsmacked to turn on the TV on Friday night and they were showing high school football. And, yes, this was way before Friday Night Lights, etc.

That and nearly everyone in crowded raucous roadhouses carrying firearms pretty much sealed the deal for me. Back to Boston toute suite.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Is it irony that Captain performed in perhaps the only musical genre in which the birth name Daryl Dragon would not be an immense asset?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

O Captain, my captain!

You mean to tell me that the genius behind “Love Will Keep Us Together” is no more, that his keyboard magic is stilled forever?

Damn Thank you, 2019!

Lebron
    Participant

Much like asking people if they know what the videotaping incident is and they have no clue, I’ve resorted to halting people mid sentence when talking about NFL trades and asking them if they know what Player X’s dead cap hit is.  Wait, what?

Gimp
    Participant

O Captain, my captain!

You mean to tell me that the genius behind “Love Will Keep Us Together” is no more, that his keyboard magic is stilled forever?

Damn Thank you, 2019!

Mean Gene, Funkhouser, and Captain Dragon.  Whomever hit that trifecta now has super-powers.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

The Tiny Weather lady’s Facebook page is a national treasure.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

3 users thanked author for this post.

NASCL
    Participant

9 users thanked author for this post.

chicowalker
    Participant

O Captain, my captain!

Damn Thank you, 2019!

Mean Gene, Funkhouser, and Captain Dragon. Whomever hit that trifecta now has super-powers.

all 76 too.  Jerry jones, Harry Ford, and Judge Judy better watch their back

Major Intangibles
    Participant

12/2/2016 Daily Thread

TWL appreciation & scouting report 12/2/2016 (may contain the phrase ‘twaddles the bean’)

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

jforb
    Participant

Haven’t taken a stroll to LJ’s world lately, are there any dates on the comics? Trying to get enough context on the last few to figure out what he was attempting.

Plus the Tomlin one. I see why Brady’s been off, it’s not a knee injury, it’s the Viking horn impaled on his throwing hand.

Suzy
    Participant

O Captain, my captain!

Damn Thank you, 2019!

Other than the questionable music, was the guy an a-hole or something?

Hacksaw
    Participant

O Captain, my captain!

Damn Thank you, 2019!

Mean Gene, Funkhouser, and Captain Dragon. Whomever hit that trifecta now has super-powers.

all 76 too. Jerry jones, Harry Ford, and Judge Judy better watch their back

76 is the new 62.

Rickkyboy
    Participant

RIP Bob Einstein

This one hurts. Funkhouser may be the best bit character in TV history. So many laughs…

His writing for Red Foxx story told on Gilbert Gottfried’s podcast also comes to mind.  :lol:

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

The national media seems this close to actually blaming Tomlin for the shit-show known as the Pittsburgh Steelers. This close. Yet in the end they somehow can’t bring themselves to do it. The same jackals that wanted Brady and Bellichick’s head on a pike in Times Square with zero credible evidence suddenly have found restraint. :wall:   :weei:

3 users thanked author for this post.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Ugh.

The @Patriots announce a multi-year extension with @985TheSportsHub that keeps the team on our air for “for many, many years to come.”

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

The national media seems this close to actually blaming Tomlin for the shit-show known as the Pittsburgh Steelers. This close. Yet in the end they somehow can’t bring themselves to do it. The same jackals that wanted Brady and Bellichick’s head on a pike in Times Square with zero credible evidence suddenly have found restraint. :wall::weei:

If only there were an enterprising reporter who could take readers behind the scenes of an NFL franchise so we could get all the gory details and interpersonal conflicts in a 20,000 word deep dive.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Ugh.

The @Patriots announce a multi-year extension with @985TheSportsHub that keeps the team on our air for “for many, many years to come.”

Zolak will work for Red Bull and sweet tarts, he will provide the grinder and dollar bill for snorting

There goes Jimmy G’s prospects.

Lebron
    Participant

The national media seems this close to actually blaming Tomlin for the shit-show known as the Pittsburgh Steelers. This close. Yet in the end they somehow can’t bring themselves to do it. The same jackals that wanted Brady and Bellichick’s head on a pike in Times Square with zero credible evidence suddenly have found restraint. :wall:

But they’re also crying about how incredibly awesomely eclecticly superior they actually were to every other team.  Record just didn’t show it.  Sad trombone

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

[49ers interested in Ryan Grigson]

There goes Jimmy G’s prospects cartilage.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

The national media seems this close to actually blaming Tomlin for the shit-show known as the Pittsburgh Steelers. This close. Yet in the end they somehow can’t bring themselves to do it. The same jackals that wanted Brady and Bellichick’s head on a pike in Times Square with zero credible evidence suddenly have found restraint. :wall:

But they’re also crying about how incredibly awesomely eclecticly superior they actually were to every other team. Record just didn’t show it. Sad trombone

“Sometimes, the best team doesn’t win.” – Kordell Stewart.  :dry:  

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

5 users thanked author for this post.

BrianInLA
    Participant

But they’re also crying about how incredibly awesomely eclecticly superior they actually were to every other team. Record just didn’t show it. Sad trombone

I have heard from at least 3 different people that the only reason the Steelers aren’t in the playoffs and the Patriots are is because of the division they play in and if one reversed the divisions the Steelers would have won 15 straight AFC East Titals while the Pats would be struggling every year to overtake the Ravens. Then again these same people listen to Simmons’ podcasts practically nonstop. And speaking of that, I was privy to the Simmons podcast going over the movie Rounders (ie, overheard it thanks to the guy in the office next to me playing it full volume thinking he was doing me a favor because, after all, since Simmons is from Boston and I’m from Boston we must be cool with each other) and was laughing to hear how little Simmons actually knew about anything poker related especially when he tries to come off as the end-all, know-all of all things poker related once it became “cool”. He actually admitted that the first time he saw the movie that just about everything poker related went completely over his head including the “Teddy and the Oreo’s” bit which is a key part of the movie and they actually spell it out for you right there in the scene. He really is the worst and by far the biggest shoe peeing Boston sports fan I’ve ever known. But I have to give him credit. He plays well here in LA and has a HUGE following. Plus he has to be making $5m+ a year with all of the podcasts he’s currently a part of.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 171 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar