Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 01/01/2019 – 01/06/2018 Week Thread

This topic contains 170 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  jforb 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 171 total)
  • Author

Major Intangibles
    Participant

The national media seems this close to actually blaming Tomlin for the shit-show known as the Pittsburgh Steelers. This close. Yet in the end they somehow can’t bring themselves to do it. The same jackals that wanted Brady and Bellichick’s head on a pike in Times Square with zero credible evidence suddenly have found restraint. :wall:

But they’re also crying about how incredibly awesomely eclecticly superior they actually were to every other team. Record just didn’t show it. Sad trombone

I have heard from at least 3 different people that the only reason the Steelers aren’t in the playoffs and the Patriots are is because of the division they play in and if one reversed the divisions the Steelers would have won 15 straight AFC East Titals while the Pats would be struggling every year to overtake the Ravens. Then again these same people listen to Simmons’ podcasts practically nonstop. And speaking of that, I was privy to the Simmons podcast going over the movie Rounders (ie, overheard it thanks to the guy in the office next to me playing it full volume thinking he was doing me a favor because, after all, since Simmons is from Boston and I’m from Boston we must be cool with each other) and was laughing to hear how little Simmons actually knew about anything poker related especially when he tries to come off as the end-all, know-all of all things poker related once it became “cool”. He actually admitted that the first time he saw the movie that just about everything poker related went completely over his head including the “Teddy and the Oreo’s” bit which is a key part of the movie and they actually spell it out for you right there in the scene. He really is the worst and by far the biggest shoe peeing Boston sports fan I’ve ever known. But I have to give him credit. He plays well here in LA and has a HUGE following. Plus he has to be making $5m+ a year with all of the podcasts he’s currently a part of.

That ignorance that banality; I’d recognize it anywhere! Some charlatan has stolen a Chico’s IT Guys story and passed it off as his own!

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

2 users thanked author for this post.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I just worked out that Gase’s last win as Dolphins’ coach was the Miracle in Miami. They lost to Min, Jax, and Buf to close the season.

1 user thanked author for this post.

328 Chauncey St
    Participant

Does anyone have a link to an article or articles about poor Jen’s failure to launch? I can’t find anything other than her Twitter whines.

You’ll be shocked to find out that she has progressed from whining to a full blown tirade/temper tantrum. She posted a poll asking if people would come to her family style slop house if there was no liquor license. Despite the best efforts of her legion of white knights, the answer was NO….now that she got an answer she doesn’t like, she’s mother-fucking her potential customers, and arguing with those who would like a glass of wine with dinner…before the doors have opened! Now, I’m no marketing expert… :lol:   :lol:

5 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

I just worked out that Gase’s last win as Dolphins’ coach was the Miracle in Miami. They lost to Min, Jax, and Buf to close the season.

At least Gase got a t-shirt commemorating that play on his way out. (I’m assuming players and coaches were offered that shirt for free.)

Coma
    Participant

The silver lining of Simmons writing about poker was that it made it easier to stop reading him. I was losing interest in his columns around that time, so when he started focusing on a topic I had no interest in, I started skipping them and realized I had no desire to go back.

Feejis
    Participant

On Royle – Interestingly (perhaps anyhow) I know of a full 2am liquor license available for sale. I won’t be passing her information along.

6 users thanked author for this post.

NASCL
    Participant

Not sure what kind of liquor license she’s going for as the game has changed a bit.

Traditionally, the City has about 1,100 full liquor licenses which were bought/sold at market value which, these days, I’m guessing approaches $400,000.  Big nut for a small business owner to purchase right out of the gate.  It seems that every almost dive bar in Boston has closed and sold their license to chain restaurants. :ozzy:

There are also beer/wine licenses which are much cheaper.

Over the last couple of years low income neighborhoods have been able to purchase full liquor licenses at a significantly reduced price but there are strict limitations – non-transferable, etc.  Pretty sure the North End would not qualify for that.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Interesting you mention a big following for Simmons out West, I haven’t heard his name mentioned in years.

Same guy says he wouldn’t dismiss Darren Sharper’s eligibility for the Hall of Fame for his off-field crimes.

He’ll argue that Brown’s actions cost him a game, and so that missed game is the on-field rationale for removal. But let’s call it what it is: carrying the Rooneys’ water. Wonder if Brown has any All-Pro clauses in his contract.

Feejis
    Participant

Not sure what kind of liquor license she’s going for as the game has changed a bit.

Traditionally, the City has about 1,100 full liquor licenses which were bought/sold at market value which, these days, I’m guessing approaches $400,000. Big nut for a small business owner to purchase right out of the gate. It seems that every almost dive bar in Boston has closed and sold their license to chain restaurants. :ozzy:

There are also beer/wine licenses which are much cheaper.

Over the last couple of years low income neighborhoods have been able to purchase full liquor licenses at a significantly reduced price but there are strict limitations – non-transferable, etc. Pretty sure the North End would not qualify for that.

I’m sure she wants a full license but you’re right that the North End isn’t the market for the new breed of licenses the city started giving out. Which I’m sure she thinks is totally unfair.

It’s hard to piece it all together but her complaints seem not to be that her license is somehow delayed, but that she just doesn’t have one. Which is stunning (but not really, given who we are talking about). The pushback on her was fun to read though. Nice planning.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

At least Gase got a t-shirt commemorating that play on his way out. (I’m assuming players and coaches were offered that shirt for free.)

Don’t forget the cash cow that the “Miami Miracle” trademark will not doubt become.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

It’s almost like she has no restaurant experience at all.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

NASCL
    Participant

How do you hire (dedicated) staff when you can’t give them a firm start date?

jforb
    Participant

Going with she hasn’t. And won’t.

chicowalker
    Participant

I haven’t been to the North End in forever, but are people hurting for quality italian food choices there?  Off the top of my head, I can’t think of a new restaurant that has opened on Federal Hill in the last decade or so that was Italian since there’s the half dozen or so institutions that have that covered.

chicowalker
    Participant

For all the (correct) pushback, there are a lot of white knights who are like “huh? who likes alcohol with their dinner?”  Yeah, especially Italian food, I definitely didn’t see one of these every sunday for 20+ years :lol:

3 users thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

One last parting tribute shot for Daryl Dragon, the late Captain …

He will never get enough shite for Muskrat Love.  He didn’t write it, but I never would have heard it had he and Tennille not covered it. That song will make me run from any store stupid enough to play it in their Muzak feed.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Interesting you mention a big following for Simmons out West, I haven’t heard his name mentioned in years.

I work with 12 other IT folks, 10 of which are male sports fans. I’d say 5-6 listen to one of his many podcasts almost daily. When I’ve questioned what people like in him they basically all say they find him very entertaining, funny and self deprecating. On a non-racial note: not one of these people is white.

Feejis
    Participant

Most will start staff a few weeks early to train them, get familiar with menu, do friends and family type tuneup service. So they’ll get paid for a few weeks even if not open yet.

Suzy
    Participant

For all the (correct) pushback, there are a lot of white knights who are like “huh? who likes alcohol with their dinner?” Yeah, especially Italian food, I definitely didn’t see one of these every sunday for 20+ years :lol:

My little Greek Yia Yia & great aunt enjoyed tumblers of that stuff with dinner & didn’t touch alcohol otherwise.  :wub:

Humphrey
    Participant

For all the (correct) pushback, there are a lot of white knights who are like “huh? who likes alcohol with their dinner?” Yeah, especially Italian food, I definitely didn’t see one of these every sunday for 20+ years :lol:

Have to have beer and wine at the bare minimum. Or something like that place Il Forno that is/was BYOB but that probably has a bunch of hurdles that need crossing, too.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I work with 12 other IT folks, 10 of which are male sports fans. I’d say 5-6 listen to one of his many podcasts almost daily. When I’ve questioned what people like in him they basically all say they find him very entertaining, funny and self deprecating. On a non-racial note: not one of these people is white.

Is anyone talking about the Plugs v. Poes game this weekend?   :lol:

Because somebody will ask, MI had this list:

Jets – Planes
    Cowboys – Pokes
    Dolphins – Porps
    Bills – Payables
    Vikings – Purple, Plunds, Purps
    Steelers – PEDs
    Browns – Pauls
    Chargers – Plugs
    Lions – Pride
    Ravens – Poes
    Cardinals – Popes
    Raiders – Plunds, Perps
    Chiefs – Piolis, Pows
    Colts – Ponies
    Bucs – Pewts
    Seahawks – Plovers
    Bears – Papas
    49ers – Panners
    Panthers – Pumas
    Saints – Prayers
    Texans – Poised

5 users thanked author for this post.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Carlo Rossi Paisano was the go to in my Italian grandparents house.  On Simmons, when I see he has a guest that I might enjoy I do the Bart Simpson stick your finger in a light socket thing and always bail out 10-15 min in when he makes some obnoxious, uninformed claim.  Today it was that they should extend the playoffs by 2 teams and give only the 1 seed the bye.  Part of the argument was that the Patriots don’t deserve a bye because they’re not good enough.  Someone speculated he makes $5million/yr I think that’s a vast underestimate.  He’s got dozens of employees he’s built himself quite a little fiefdom.

chicowalker
    Participant

Paisano is right! Merlot a bit too fancy for my family.  Just the first picture I found.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 171 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar