Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 01/07-01/13/2019 Week Discussion Thread

Tagged: 

This topic contains 268 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Humphrey 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 269 total)
  • Author

Yahtzee
    Participant

Plugs not Poes.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

It’s early but 5 inches of snow forecasted for Sunday

1 user thanked author for this post.

Before Fatty deletes once he learns the ball was tipped:

Goat of the Week

Cody Parkey, kicker, Chicago. He picked a brutal time for his 11th miss of the season—and quite possibly his last kick ever as a Bear. What incredible drama, missing the game-winning kick from 43 yards with 10 seconds left in a magical season for the rebuilt Monsters of the Midway. Two things made it hurt more: one, he hit his first attempt, but Eagles coach Doug Pederson called a last-millisecond timeout to ice him; and then of course, the double-doink. Just heartbreaking, but goat-worthy nonetheless…

Clearly, the miss is on Parkey. He knows it; we all know it.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Happy “thousandth daily thread” week! :blink:

Participant

I think you’ll be missed, Ozzie Newsome. After 23 years of making every personnel call for the Ravens in their history, you deserve a break. Find 100 golf courses in your beloved Alabama. Play them all in the next 100 days, weather permitting.

chicowalker
    Participant

. Saw “Vice.” Really good—particularly the Dick Cheney character played by Christian Bale. I cannot believe how closely Bale resembled the former vice president.

Is this how you’d phrase it- “the Dick Cheney character?”

. Also recommend “Love, Gilda,” about late comedian Gilda Radnor, who was an absolute phenom in the early SNL days. It’s a 98-minute doc that could have been 68 minutes … but it’s still really interesting about the pressures a talented woman faced in the seventies and eighties in a male-dominated field.

“Radnor” Couldn’t expect him to know how to spell the last name of this obscure actress.  Also, do you generally recommend something that you found to be 40% too long?

Jesus, this tastes weird, you should try a piece! :rollseyes:

Hacksaw
    Participant

. Saw “Vice.” Really good—particularly the Dick Cheney character played by Christian Bale. I cannot believe how closely Bale resembled the former vice president.

Is this how you’d phrase it- “the Dick Cheney character?”

. Also recommend “Love, Gilda,” about late comedian Gilda Radnor, who was an absolute phenom in the early SNL days. It’s a 98-minute doc that could have been 68 minutes … but it’s still really interesting about the pressures a talented woman faced in the seventies and eighties in a male-dominated field.

“Radnor” Couldn’t expect him to know how to spell the last name of this obscure actress. Also, do you generally recommend something that you found to be 40% too long?

Jesus, this tastes weird, you should try a piece! :rollseyes:

Cant wait for his Howard Stern cast review.

“Sal the Stockbroker….great guy.”

Yahtzee
    Participant

I think you’ll be missed, Ozzie Newsome. After 23 years of making every personnel call for the Ravens in their history, you deserve a break. Find 100 golf courses in your beloved Alabama. Play them all in the next 100 days, weather permitting.

Weather permitting?

How strange.

Coma
    Participant

Before Fatty deletes once he learns the ball was tipped:

Goat of the Week

Cody Parkey, kicker, Chicago. He picked a brutal time for his 11th miss of the season—and quite possibly his last kick ever as a Bear. What incredible drama, missing the game-winning kick from 43 yards with 10 seconds left in a magical season for the rebuilt Monsters of the Midway. Two things made it hurt more: one, he hit his first attempt, but Eagles coach Doug Pederson called a last-millisecond timeout to ice him; and then of course, the double-doink. Just heartbreaking, but goat-worthy nonetheless…

Clearly, the miss is on Parkey. He knows it; we all know it.

How does King not know the kick was tipped? The information about the ball being tipped was on twitter by about 10 last night. There’s no reason why PK shouldn’t have known and updated his column. Actually, we know why: A combination of arrogance, ignorance and obliviousness.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

He has an editor too, one he praises extravagantly every week. What’s an editor for, if not situations like this?

RedSeat
    Participant

I’m sure the 100th best golf course in Alabama is fantastic.

chicowalker
    Participant

:lol:

He told me to hit 100 golf courses in 100 days, but it’s really coming down…thankfully he mentioned to pay attention to the weather

I wonder if he tried to get in touch w/Cody Parkey.  Would he have put in his column that he was told to pound sand by someone after the lowest point in their career?

chicowalker
    Participant

Great point :lol: And I’d guess there are at least a couple that Ozzie might not feel entirely welcome at, despite his resume/(presumed) wealth :ohmy:

3 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

Probably also true.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

He has an editor too, one he praises extravagantly every week. What’s an editor for, if not situations like this?

Memphis Mafia-type sycophancy?

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Major Intangibles
    Participant

GolfWRX had that, oh; you know. 

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

2 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

Philip Rivers, the only passer in the Class of 2004 left standing, jogged off the field in his grass-green Charger uniform late Sunday afternoon …

Foles and Luck are the only two QBs left drafted in the same year, so this is like a 6-2 streak.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Arians is Ryan without the foot fetish (afaik) right?  I’m sure he’ll coach the ints right out of Jameis.

chicowalker
    Participant

Arians is Ryan without the foot fetish (afaik) right? I’m sure he’ll coach the ints right out of Jameis.

Do you…ahhhh…uhh..wear that hat when you make whoopee?

Nick B
    Participant

Peter King  later on this week.

another week, another cross country trip for the 12 win charges to a lesser win team. get your house in order mr commissioner

Humphrey
    Participant

I could very easily see Gilda as Roseanne Rosannadanna doing a monologue on some gross habit of Peter King. He has plenty of them.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Humphrey.
    6 users thanked author for this post.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Arians went from “I will only come back to coach the Browns” to “I can fix Jameis Winston” pretty quick.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I’d guess Ozzie wouldn’t be permitted to golf around 1/3 of those courses, for reasons.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Arians went from “I will only come back to coach the Browns” to “I can fix Jameis Winston” pretty quick.

The bigger the phony, the bigger the sports media love-fest.

Arians is Exhibit A-Z.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Always enjoy the ‘and he made the kick that didn’t count!’ point of order.  Of course the whistle gets blown before the snap, the defensive guys typically know a TO is coming and/or hear the whistle and adjust effort accordingly, but we’ll ignore that.

I wasn’t a fan of how the Bears handled the last few plays.  Thought after the Robinson catch they should have gotten up to the line and clocked it, so you have 2nd down and a time out.  Instead they call time, run a first down play then clock it so you just have the one play left no timeout and no room for error in terms of staying in bounds or a short yardage sack.  So the only play is to get it to the end zone and put it where no one has a chance of picking it.  Might not have made a difference but I think you give yourself a better flow of play/down situation if you don’t call the timeout when they did.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 269 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar