Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 01/14-01/20/2019 Championship Week Thread

This topic contains 318 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  BrianInLA 7 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 319 total)
  • Author

Nick B
    Participant

As we sit back and reflect on the Patriots season after a disappointing loss to the LA Chargers. Wait, What? you mean they didn’t lose? But I was told that the Pats were done. Brady was showing his age Gronk was already planning his retirement. The league has caught up with Belichick.

• This topic was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  Nick B.

Right out of the gate, Fatty gets it wrong:

The Patriots will play in the AFC Championship Game for the ninth straight year. 

7 users thanked author for this post.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Kid Gas had a great one on Saturday. He said it would be better for Brady to lose to the Chargers than to lose the AFC Championship game since he’s 8-5 in the championship game.

So Brady has/will play in 70% of the championship games in the past 20 years. The sheer dominance of this team goes right over the heads of the media and big fans.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Rob Gronkowski continued his 2019 invisibility Sunday (one catch, 25 yards)

:blink: Did he even see what Gronk was doing on the line? I mean it was only called out by Romo a half dozen times.

And what does “continued his 2019 invisibility” even mean? This was their first game of the new year.

9 users thanked author for this post.

Humphrey
    Participant

Maybe Gronk the Receiver should hang it up but Gronk the Blocker is still All Pro.

And, oh yes, 5 TDs by guys that Bill the GM picked up in the last 2 years.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Humphrey
    Participant

Rob Gronkowski continued his 2019 invisibility

Who wrote that?

Mut, KKK and Dickerson are all in agreement that the “everybody says we suck” thing was an obvious Belichick motivational ploy rather than a reflection of what people have actually been saying about the team.

They’re so conditioned to lie, mislead, equivocate and obfuscate,  their first instincts are always to presume deception. Because that’s what they would do in the same situation.

Heard a rival fan say Brady forced the Garoppolo trade, and Mut “corrected” him to say no, Kraft forced it. Everybody just mired in ignorance. What a terrible show.

Rob Gronkowski continued his 2019 invisibility

Who wrote that?

Fatty

GusChiggins
    Participant

Right out of the gate, Fatty gets it wrong:

The Patriots will play in the AFC Championship Game for the ninth straight year.

You’ll have to forgive King, he’s still shocked that the Pats had a good season after reading that Seth Wickersham story.

chicowalker
    Participant

BSMW mission statement, in two acts

Sad about the Colts.
    Means Capt. Andrew Luck won’t Tweet
    for months. A bummer.

Good to see that the country’s preeminent football writer watched app. 2.5 of the 4 games this weekend   :pk:

Claude45
    Participant

Driving to the game yesterday and I really wanted some Pats talk. Shame on me. On EEI, Keefe/Mut/Jones, I have no idea who does that show and I don’t really care, the first words I hear are him pleading “just lose today because you’re going to lose by 30 next week”. What a jerkoff.

Flip over to the flagship and I’m greeted with “we’re going to get into the Gronk retirement talk, there’s a lot of new news there.”  There’s nothing new. Gronk almost retired last year and this has been a tough year for him so he’s more likely to retire this year. Same story that’s been ongoing with a few additional anonymous rumblings.

It would be really sweet if the Pats can pull of a championship. We’d have the nice back to back of the “the Sox are flawed and can’t win it all, you’re a stupid fanboy if you think they can.” Then the Sox steamroll through the regular season and playoffs. If we can get “the Pats are flawed and if you think they can keep up with all the weaponz, on the road, then you’re a stupid fanboy” to win, it will almost be like the sports media has no idea what they are talking about.

6 users thanked author for this post.

BrianInLA
    Participant

So it looks like the Rams knew/stole the Cowboys defensive signals Saturday night which is why the recently good looking Dallas defense looked horrible. I’m sure there will be a full investigation that will result in loss of draft picks, fines and a stigma hanging over the Rams franchise for the next 20 years. :dry:

Fatty:

And, you know, we drafted Paxton Lynch in the first round [in 2016] and [head coach] Gary [Kubiak] was on board with Paxton and I thought he was a good fit with what Gary did. And then Gary gets sick and can’t do it anymore. Now all of a sudden we change a whole system that we had drafted a quarterback for. And once that [public] tidal wave started against him, he is getting bashed, and it’s hard for a 23, 24-year-old kid to beat that.

Just what you want in a GM: blaming an enormous draft failure (he traded up for Lynch, remember, and Fatty felated him for doing so) on: a. Kubiak getting sick; b. Lynch being a specific system QB; and c. Lynch not being able to handle public pressure. How about maybe the GM fucked up drafting somebody so limited?

5 users thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

To top everything off, Shank last week declared that the Chargers were the real deal, not a tomato can, and that the Patriots will have to handle a team that’s actually good in the divisional round.

So that means half of his go-to material has been taken away. Theoretically.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Elway continued:

Obviously, we’ve got to—Case [Keenum] is probably a short-term fix—find the long-term guy for us.

Can you imagine Belichick doing that? Even if he thought his current QB was a “short-term fix”, he’d never verbalize it publicly.

Humphrey
    Participant

Fatty:

And, you know, we drafted Paxton Lynch in the first round [in 2016] and [head coach] Gary [Kubiak] was on board with Paxton and I thought he was a good fit with what Gary did. And then Gary gets sick and can’t do it anymore. Now all of a sudden we change a whole system that we had drafted a quarterback for. And once that [public] tidal wave started against him, he is getting bashed, and it’s hard for a 23, 24-year-old kid to beat that.

Just what you want in a GM: blaming an enormous draft failure (he traded up for Lynch, remember, and Fatty felated him for doing so) on: a. Kubiak getting sick; b. Lynch being a specific system QB; and c. Lynch not being able to handle public pressure. How about maybe the GM fucked up drafting somebody so limited?

..Or you know, if you really liked Lynch wouldn’t you made sure that Gary’s successor had plans to use him the way that you, a Hall of Fame quarterback, felt was the best way to use him…and if not, don’t hire that person?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Rickkyboy
    Participant

:lol:    

advance to certain doom with playoff win over Chargers.

To top everything off, Shank last week declared that the Chargers were the real deal, not a tomato can, and that the Patriots will have to handle a team that’s actually good in the divisional round.

Rare to see Shank box himself in like that. He rarely makes pronouncements about teams in advance, so he can keep his Pats-criticizing options open.

Humphrey
    Participant

Rare to see Shank box himself in like that. He rarely makes pronouncements about teams in advance, so he can keep his Pats-criticizing options open.

He’ll just keep saying that the next one or two games because it’s basically true and if the Pats win it all, it will be more or less “you see, they weren’t pressed during the season, it’s unfair they’re playing all these bad teams, etc.”.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  Humphrey.

Participant

It’s the same thing Peter, minus the ordnance, fuel, propellers and jet intakes that can end your life or fvck your day up.

(equivalent to what you’d hear standing on the deck of an aircraft carrier with a fighter jet taking off), players noticed.”

Not at all, and based on his track record of success it really can’t miss.

“If Jameis is somewhere between 15 and 20 right now [in performance] among NFL quarterbacks,” GM Jason Licht told me, “is it really absurd to pick up his fifth-year option [at $20.9 million], considering what other quarterbacks make? No.”

He’s the little bulldog like George with the Penske file.  HE PUT ON SWEATS!

“Not long after arriving at the Broncos practice facility for the first time last Wednesday, late in the day, and before even getting a tour of the place, Vic Fangio went up to his new office, put on Bronco sweats, and started watching tape of his team. That’s who—and what—the Broncos hired. “

Peter, it’s not my fault – the FANZ turned on Paxton and it snowballed.

“The other thing that I’ve learned is that the bottom line in this league, it’s about winning. Forget about anything else. You want to do things the right way and we work on everything else. It’s very difficult to do it year in and year out unless you find a franchise quarterback. And, you know, we drafted Paxton Lynch in the first round [in 2016] and [head coach] Gary [Kubiak] was on board with Paxton and I thought he was a good fit with what Gary did. And then Gary gets sick and can’t do it anymore. Now all of a sudden we change a whole system that we had drafted a quarterback for. And once that [public] tidal wave started against him, he is getting bashed, and it’s hard for a 23, 24-year-old kid to beat that.”

An $18M a year backup, they just write it off.

“I don’t know what the Eagles will do about their quarterback situation this offseason, but I do know if I were Doug Pederson I’d want Nick Foles on my team if there’s a chance he’d accept a deal to be the backup if that’s how the quarterback competition falls … and could make $18 million (neighborhood) a year.”

#NeverForget Peter

“And graffiti. In a national park.”

BILA, can you confirm?

“Column of the Week: So this is how the Kliff Kingsbury departure from USC (after four weeks) is playing in Los Angeles, by Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times. Not pretty.”

And of course, he’ll miss this most of all.

“Sad about the Colts.
    Means Capt. Andrew Luck won’t Tweet
    for months. A bummer.”

BrianInLA
    Participant

No one cares about Kliff Kingsbury. Not a soul. Not even the diehard USC fans that I work with as it was met with basically a shrug and “so what?” Plaschke is a west coast Shank in that he makes more money and appearances by stirring up crap that no one cares about. He was all set to turn on the Rams and McVay if they lost this weekend but now has to save it for at least a week.

jforb
    Participant

Three coaches who’ve been in Super Bowls (Bill Belichick, Andy Reid, Sean Payton) and a fourth, Sean McVay, who just might go to four of them.

Why four?

jforb
    Participant

Comeback player: J.J. Watt, Houston. No argument with Andrew Luck, at all. Just thought Watt went through a little more to get back to playing great football, after being hit with two different career-threatening injuries the last two years, and fighting injuries throughout 2015 to just survive that season. This was a great comeback year for Watt.

As opposed to what Luck went through?

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Three coaches who’ve been in Super Bowls (Bill Belichick, Andy Reid, Sean Payton) and a fourth, Sean McVay, who just might go to four of them.

Why four?

Because he’s the fourth coach. Try and keep up.  :pk:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

3 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

He can’t manage to change his flight from SF to NO to either be direct or go through any airport other than JFK?
    ed: and why give mileage from SF to JFK but not from JFK to NO?

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  jforb.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 319 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar