Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 01/14-01/20/2019 Championship Week Thread

This topic contains 318 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  BrianInLA 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 301 through 319 (of 319 total)
  • Author

Claude45
    Participant

Great win and I love this team but I’m really disappointed the Pats didn’t run more Yankee Concepts.

Bill Simmons is an unparalleled Nancy douchebag. With apologies to all Nancies.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

Somewhere Steratore has to be wondering why Peter isn’t lobbying for him?

Dean Blandino is as trustworthy as the day is long.

The upshot. As soon as this call got made, I heard from a couple of acquaintances/sources about the impact of it. “Al Riveron [EVP of Officiating] is gone,” one said. “He can’t survive this.” Another said the league will have to pay big to bring back Dean Blandino or Mike Pereira (less likely). I think Riveron was on thin ice before Sunday. What the NFL should do, if it decides to dump Riveron, is pay realistic money to get Blandino back from his cushy gig at FOX. He’s a trusted and trustworthy guy.

BrianInLA
    Participant

They threw a pick from the 1 yard line. The went for it on 4th and 1 and failed with a terrible play call. They didn’t go for it on 4th and short and did that clusterfuck punt switch and the ref stood over the ball and prevented them from hiking it and they got a delay even though KC had 12 guys on the field. They gave up 31 points in the 2nd half. They had the expected PI calls go against them at the worst times and then not called when KC ran the most obvious pick play in history that looked like it wiped out 3 Pats players at once.

And won.

The delay of game call made sense because the Pats subbed so late in the play clock. Ref had to let KC sub.

Flowers hit to Mahomes head was more obvious than the Jones one.

Still, bad calls abound in both games. Sad.

I hate the punt switch play. I keep thinking its setting up something with a great, eventual payoff where they fake the punt and run 40 yards for  a TD. Alas it never seems to do that and I often wonder why not just line up for a normal punt and hope to draw them offsides or line up for a regular play and do the same and worst case take the 5 yard penalty. Have they ever been able to catch the other team with 12 on the field and a flag thrown? Just seems like it would be a lot easier drawing them offsides by lining up to go for it but what do I know.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    I hate the punt switch play. I keep thinking its setting up something with a great, eventual payoff where they fake the punt and run 40 yards for a TD. Alas it never seems to do that
    One more opportunity  :smile:

BrianInLA
    Participant

Pats ran 94 plays and had only one negative play. A kneel down.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

The irony is they’re instructed to let more things go in the postseason so the refs don’t become the story of the game and unduly influence the outcome, but by letting an obvious foul go uncalled, they became the story of the game and unduly influenced the outcome..

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Enjoying this asshole’s salty tears. He says he loves triggering Pats fans but he is so triggered.

The fact that he names himself “SportsTalkBarry” says more about his lonely, deluded, and all-but-celibate existence than all the lists he and Butch Stearns could ever compile.

He’s the heir to “Disco Stu.”

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Pats ran 94 plays and had only one negative play. A kneel down.

Godammit, Tom! Kneel forward like you did in preserving your 100 yards rushing next time!

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Lotta F-bombs from TB12, but the best part (4:35 in) is Marcus Cannon’s “Who we playing? The Rams? They got Suh, right? That’s good … Ooops, don’t get that on camera.” Not sure this is Antonio Brown-like, but …

:lol:

4 users thanked author for this post.

Humphrey
    Participant

The irony is they’re instructed to let more things go in the postseason so the refs don’t become the story of the game and unduly influence the outcome, but by letting an obvious foul go uncalled, they became the story of the game and unduly influenced the outcome..
    What I find bad about that play is that you got the impression no one saw it at all.   Who was the guy standing at the goal line looking at; two other guys?   Don’t they pick up the ball after it’s thrown and start looking in that direction?   And is the linesman on that side who’s only 10 or so yards back at the LOS supposed to keep his mouth shut when he sees a helmet-to-helmet?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  Humphrey.

RedSeat
    Participant

Lotta F-bombs from TB12, but the best part (4:35 in) is Marcus Cannon’s “Who we playing? The Rams? They got Suh, right? That’s good … Ooops, don’t get that on camera.” Not sure this is Antonio Brown-like, but …

:lol:

Gronk saying he’s over 50% (going to the SB) for his career is great. 5 for 9.  “That’s crazy!”

BrianInLA
    Participant

Not sure if any of you follow Cousin Sal but last week he and his work buddy bought a Saints futures ticket from last February that had the Saints at 20-1 to win the Super Bowl and the guy put $8k down on it. He offered the ticket for sale and Sal/friend bought it for around $56k. They were both heavy on the Saints to win it all and figured they could get almost 2-1 on their money (ticket paid around $168k if it wins). Naturally the non PI call had to be a kick in the groin as they had planned to hedge if the Saints won yesterday but instead end up eating $28k each. The guy selling the ticket has to feel like a genius.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Watching Gronkowski yesterday was a reminder of how much that guy gets mauled and no flags.  And when he does catch a ball everyone goes at his knees.  Reminds me of when Shaq was at LSU and Dale Brown told him to go pro, you might as well get paid if you’re going to get assaulted like this.  Except for Gronkowski he can’t go anywhere else, this is just what it is.  I don’t want to see him quit but I don’t blame him if he does.

Humphrey
    Participant

Watching Gronkowski yesterday was a reminder of how much that guy gets mauled and no flags. And when he does catch a ball everyone goes at his knees. Reminds me of when Shaq was at LSU and Dale Brown told him to go pro, you might as well get paid if you’re going to get assaulted like this. Except for Gronkowski he can’t go anywhere else, this is just what it is. I don’t want to see him quit but I don’t blame him if he does.
    If I ran the Pats or some other team,  especially with a great wideout corps; I’d be happy as hell and pay him accordingly if he just blocked and never went out for a pass.   He’s still devastating when it comes to that, game after game.

BrianInLA
    Participant

In watching the OT again I completely zoned out that they ran the Flea Flicker in Chiefs territory.

Romo really was on fire getting every play call correct.

Reid should be getting killed not calling a time out when the Pats were on the 2. The defense is gassed.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  BrianInLA.
    3 users thanked author for this post.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Agree a bazillion percent on Gronk. Would love him to just be there and block and catch a pass here and there. But I wonder if he thinks his body has had enough. He doesn’t need the money. He’d be only doing it to play with Brady. And I can see Brady hanging it all up if they win this year. Would be the perfect way to go out.

Was trying to determine if the Pats just let Williams score that second-to-last Chiefs possession in regulation. I mean, I assumed at the time they did, because he walked right in, and doing so would preserve time and timeouts. But on rewatch, it looked like they defended.

On the second interception, did I see right and Edelman was able to duck getting flattened by the LB? Because that looked like it was about to be particularly nasty shot.

If you were Belichick game-planning on how to stop the Pats in the Super Bowl, wouldn’t you just double Edelman like they did Hill? I couldn’t believe they still had one guy on him after he kept carving them up.

The Rams look good on paper, but I don’t think they have anywhere near the fight KC has.

Participant

“There seems something unfairly unjust about a team not even getting a chance to touch the football in an overtime.”

Schefter

BrianInLA
    Participant

Rams have a lot of just happy to be here going on for them. Of course I said the same thing last year and was dead wrong on Philly.  Just seems to be too perfect beating the Rams right after the Sox beat the Dodgers and the same team and same day they started this run back in 02.  Plus 6-3 is far better than 5-4 and by god we are due just ONE blowout win in the super bowl silimar to the Chargers game last week.  I’ve been saying this for the last 4 of them.

Any minute now Jeff Fisher is going to once again want his due.

Some major speculation on sports radio that Gurley is hurt far worse than anyone is letting on and his knee could be pretty f’d up.  Good investment.

Viewing 19 posts - 301 through 319 (of 319 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar