Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 02/02/2019 – 02/03/2019 Groundhog Day/Super Bowl Sunday Weekend Thread

This topic contains 118 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Miserable Fellow 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 119 total)
  • Author

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

A little comic relief before The Game.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

“…package him with Upton Sinclair…”   :lol:

Lefty

Uh oh.  Apparently the PMOW followed Mike Sando presenting someone for the HOF.  He probably just repeated Sando’s entire presentation.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Lefty

Here’s a couple of seconds of Borges presentation.  Does the HOF not know Wrong is no longer with the Herald?

https://twitter.com/profootballhof/status/1091700516420313088?s=12

Lefty

Happy Stanley Wilson/Barrett Robbins day!

2 users thanked author for this post.

NASCL
    Participant

Portnoy just posted video of Kraft dancing at some hip hop event.

Humphrey
    Participant

Will Ty’s cousin give his induction speech?

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Will Ty’s cousin give his induction speech?

Ty’s cousin did not get into the Fall Guy Hall of Fame this time.  :-(

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Moved to the right thread.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Canadian Soldier.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Lefty.
    1 user thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

If the Bruins flame out in the playoffs (or fall short of making the playoffs), I have found the team I would root for to win the Stanley Cup: the Winnipeg Jets.

Mark Scheifele is a massive Pats’ fan and Blake Wheeler, though a Viking fan at heart, is a huge Brady supporter. Just saw them interviewed on Hockey Night in Canada. Plus that noisy arena: what an atmosphere!

4 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

Do the people at NFL headquarters get tired of defusing the messes Goodell creates or does the challenge of finding a creative solution keep them energized?

When Goodell spoke on Wednesday, the media, particularly the New Orleans media, picked up on a statement he made about reaching out the the Saints players. They confirmed that Goodell had never spoken with any Saints players. Here is the quote from a 1/31 PFT article:

“We understand the frustration of the fans. I’ve talked to Coach Payton, the team, the players. We understand the frustration that they feel right now and we certainly want to address that.”

Here is the way the quote appears in the official transcript, with a small, but important change:

“Listen, we understand the frustration of the fans. I’ve talked to coach Payton. The team, the players, we understand the frustration they feel right now, and we certainly want to address that.”

I haven’t been able to find a clip of just this response, but the official story is he said “I’ve talked to Coach Payton <period>” not “I’ve talked to Coach Payton <comma>.”

The frustrating thing is everyone just nods and accepts this explanation without any pushback. These are the same media who still laugh at the deflator explanation, but are content to say “The commissioner didn’t lie, he started a new sentence” and act like that’s an acceptable explanation. As for the league people, they’ve got to be patting themselves on the back for dodging another bullet, but I hope someone is thinking “Maybe Mr. Integrity should avoid saying anything that might imply he spoke with the Saints players. It can’t be that hard.”

chicowalker
    Participant

Just got back from my very first monster truck rally  :ohmy:   :lol:   We went sort of as a goof (discount tickets through my friend’s job, brought his niece, etc) but I left ready to run through a fucking wall.  Legitimately awesome and fun, and puts you in the mood for football.  Is it 6:30 6:32 6:37 6:38 yet?

And Max D was awesome, but El Toro Loco got jobbed.  Think Jordan/Nique dunk contest  :ozzy:   :lol:

3 users thanked author for this post.

Chuck Schick
    Participant

That reminds me, Portnoy is about 5 years younger than me. When I hear him on the radio he sounds like late-stage Jack Klugman. He’s a fucking disaster.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Kraft looks like a color corrected Oompa Loompa.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Lefty

At this point, Jonathan must keep Sunny Acres on speed dial for Robert.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

#LFG

Brady’s hype video is awesome.

Is it 6:30 yet?

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Mark
    Participant

Today is going to be a great day. Enjoy the hell out of it everyone!

BrianInLA
    Participant

Edelman’s

Has a bit of Rocky 4 to it. Needed to be carrying a log up that mountain.

Doncabesa
    Participant

Today is going to be a great day. Enjoy the hell out of it everyone!

Nerves have already started, can’t believe we’re getting to see this for the 9th time.  God I hope they just absolutely destroy them, god damn heart attacks!

2 users thanked author for this post.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

BrianInLA
    Participant

Locally the fans are cautiously optimistic and I respect that. The media however need a beatdown of epic proportion. Complete contrast from what one sees on the east coast. Here its been nothing but “There is no way that the Rams lose this game… Rams have more weaponzzz….Pats aren’t that good..the AFC is crap….etc etc”. I’ve really never wanted a blowout more than I want one for the Pats today. If anything just to shut up the local media and temper the McVay lovefest. Plus beating LA twice in 3+ months for a Tital will always put a smile on my face.

https://twitter.com/EricPMusselman/status/1092120799639523328

When padding games, assistants are required to watch tape of a given game and — on every single play — draw the offense and defense on a sheet of paper, and map out the movement and assignment of each player on the field. They’re also asked to note everything from receiver and offensive-line splits to tendencies and protections, along with deeper observations about what players on each side are trying to accomplish on the play.

And when you consider that young assistants can be tasked with padding four or five games of an upcoming opponent — and NFL games average well over 100 total plays — it’s a task that is as intensive and difficult as it sounds, especially when Belichick’s famous predilection toward attention to detail is factored in.

For instance, all five Patriots assistants polled by Yahoo Sports this week said the task of padding a single game — especially in the early learning process — can easily last anywhere from seven hours to even a couple days.

jforb
    Participant

Young qb and young coach here for the first time? They’re killing them.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 119 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar