Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 02/03-02/09/2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

John Henry needs to personally finance a revival of “No No Nanette”

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Participant

Other than Bell Biv Devoe – the Fenway Concert Series is a Tom Yawkey wet dream this year.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Verdugo is a pig. I’d be shocked if he lasts in Boston. He’s gotten into it with Rich Hill a few times who tried to set him straight and tell him to stop being a douche. They trade the most popular player in a generation for a guy with very questionable character who hasn’t swung a bat in 6 months and a young kid who throws over 100 but has already had arm trouble. Well done Men Of Fenway.

BrianInLA
    Participant

The police report of the incident that happened in Arizona is kind of hard to read but the girl (who had facial bruises) ended up not pressing charges because she knew her life would only get worse by the harassment. The Dodgers were made aware of the situation and it wasn’t the first time something like this has happened. Amazingly its been mostly swept under the rug.

Lebron
    Participant

Still no manager, and still no verdict on the 2018 video relay of signs investigation.  They won’t do it, but they need to sell.  They cannot come back from this.  Instead they’ll just hang on and remain hated and incredulous as to why they’re hated.

Lebron
    Participant

Old friend and new Giants manager Gabe Kapler isn’t coming out of this looking good either.  In other/similar news I see that Gayle King is getting annihilated for daring to bring up Kobe’s rape accusation in an interview with Lisa Leslie.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

The Sox Brass have done a bang up job of completely cratering expectations for the 2020 season. They might as well hang one of those bomb collars around the neck of who ever they dig up to manage this team and tell the fans it will explode once the team falls 20 games out of a playoff spot. On the bright side now would be an ideal time to tell Jerry Remy to go pound sand over at NESN.

Participant

Nice to see Manny is still grabbing $2m a year from the Sox. :lol:

Coma
    Participant

Old friend and new Giants manager Gabe Kapler isn’t coming out of this looking good either. In other/similar news I see that Gayle King is getting annihilated for daring to bring up Kobe’s rape accusation in an interview with Lisa Leslie.

I had forgotten about it, but Kobe’s defense attorney mentioning his victim’s previously concealed name multiple times on TV was an all time scumbag move. Of course, Kobe gets a pass on that. I saw last night that his memorial service is going to be held on the 24th. If people are really serious about the significance of “24” and “8,” shouldn’t they hold off on doing anything until August 24th?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

Spotify buys The Ringer. Bedard gets a cash infusion. Shit ain’t right.

Regarding Bedard, I’m holding out hope that this will turn out like the bailout the AAF received last year. A big donor steps in, saves the day and then decides to pull the plug a couple months later. The idea of someone with Bedard’s ego having to grovel for financial assistance is nice, too.

Lebron
    Participant

Sounds like the Red Sox verdict from MLB on sign stealing should come down next week.  No players to be punished.  Interesting tidbit from Manfred is that in the Astros case where no players were punished, he granted them immunity so they’d talk.  At least explains why no players faced suspensions or anything.  Also reinforces assholes like Bregman who shrugged their shoulders and laughed it off.  Diplomatic Immunity!

Lebron
    Participant

Not that I care but I found it hysterical that Harden got picked last or near last in that stupid All Star draft.

Edit:  scratch that looks like he got picked 7th.  I must have misheard.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Lebron.
    Nick B
    Participant

Red Sox will reportedly name Ron Roenicke as manager after MLB investigation concludes

Roenicke, 63, was the team’s bench coach for two seasons under Alex Cora.

Lebron
    Participant

Morbid curiosity category I am watching the Simmons/Rusillo NBA trade deadline podcast.  Setting aside that this asshole is now a multi multi multi millionaire, he’s got some nice jowls forming.  I’m the same age as him and yeah 50 is 50 you don’t look 30 anymore but Christ lay off the Astroburger and get a trainer.  He’s the dictionary definition of skinny fat.

Lebron
    Participant

They should have just gotten the other Cora brother.  Seamless transition.  So good!

chicowalker
    Participant

Speaking of, up until 5 minutes ago I confused Ron Roenicke with Gary Roenicke, who I remember from those platoon happy early 80s Oriole teams. Per wiki he’s a member of the orioles HoF. .250/.355/.448 w/106 hr in 8 years w/Baltimore :blink:   Maybe because he was on the ’83 tital team? Off to check on Lenn Sakata! :ohmy:

Lebron
    Participant

Was he the one that wore the facemask, no wait that was John Lowenstein.  Christ that team was a bunch of parts.  Murray and Ripken then crap.

chicowalker
    Participant

Only 4 people on the 83 team qualified for the batting title, while 11 had between 115 and 448 plate appearances.  Of those 11, 7 had an OPS+ under 100.  How Murray and Ripken didn’t walk 120+ times each is a miracle.

chicowalker
    Participant

Fucking baseball reference rabbit holes.  For as much as Weaver* was willing to buck the system and embrace platooning (when Fisk was catching 150 games per year with the Red Sox :blink: ) he leaned in to that early 70s trend of pitching your starter until he dropped.  In 71 (the year they had 4 20 game winners) The Orioles 4 starters pitched 1081 of the 1451 innings the team threw that year :ohmy:

*Altobelli was the skipper in 83 EVERYONE FORGETS THIS

Lebron
    Participant

That Orioles roster.  Christ.  Benny Ayala, Jim Dwyer, Tito Landrum, Rich Dauer, John Shelby.  What a bunch of slop.  And they won 98 games.  Of course they faced the Wheeze Kids in the ’83 Series.  Joe Morgan, Pete Rose, Tony Perez all on the roster.  And they also faced the ‘winning ugly’ ’83 Chicago White Sox in the ALCS.  Holy shit.

NASCL
    Participant

With the possible exception of the Cardinals, early 80s baseball sucked in general.

Lebron
    Participant

I liked the Harvey’s Wallbangers Brewers.  But like most early ’80s teams they were only relevant for a couple of seasons.  I can’t believe how much baseball I watched back then.  I’d watch any game.  Indians-Mariners?  Hey Len Barker’s pitching I’ll watch!

Coma
    Participant

Interesting point by Rusillo/Chris Long in how everyone who shit on Andy Reid, and rightfully so for all of his terrible coaching over the years, are now all “I’m so happy for Andy Reid, always was a great coach!” Meanwhile these same people are now shitting all over Kyle Shanahan, for 3 years ago and now this, and how that may eventually turn in to the same where everyone will then claim to be happy for him if he wins.

Reid’s list of monster fuck ups still far outweigh him winning yesterday overall. Also Shanahan, while he was the offensive coordinator, was not the head coach in Atlanta, and he’s the guy that always gets the blame for that game. Somehow Quinn skates on that game and a big part of their problem was that they were completely gassed and weren’t ready for what hit them.

A little over a year ago, Andy Reid was claiming that the officials should warn his players instead of calling penalties on them and requesting that the rules be changed because his team didn’t bother to show up for the first half of a playoff game. A few years before that, an assistant coach stole the challenge flag out of his back pocket late in a game to keep him from wasting a challenge/timeout. To his credit, Reid didn’t make his usual clock management gaffe this postseason, but I think a large part of that had to do with those situations not coming up rather than Andy finally learning a lesson. I don’t think there’s any way that happens two years in a row. If it doesn’t, we’ll see how forgiving all those fans who love Reid now will be.

Lebron
    Participant

Same with John Harbaugh with the officials should warn us or remind us of stuff.  Coach of the Year needs to be told by officials what’s going on and what he should be doing.  “Coach, this guy is ineligible, so remember, you don’t have to cover him.  Leave him alone, double someone else, that guy is irrelevant.”

jforb
    Participant

Same with John Harbaugh with the officials should warn us or remind us of stuff. Coach of the Year needs to be told by officials what’s going on and what he should be doing. “Coach, this guy is ineligible, so remember, you don’t have to cover him. Leave him alone, double someone else, that guy is irrelevant.”

Wonder how long Bill, Josh, and Ernie debated actually running those plays and how long they just laughed at how nuts Harbro would go. That would make a great bit of an oral history.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar