Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 02/04/2019 – 02/10/2018 Championship Week, Parade Week

This topic contains 271 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Yahtzee 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 272 total)
  • Author

Suzy
    Participant

Albert Finney wont be down for breakfast or able to star in the sequel to Looker (a movie I liked a lot as a kid).

Good actor. RIP.

Maybe late to this but the great Frank Robinson passed yesterday. There were some really heartfelt tributes on Twitter. Man, Fred Lynn is a great follow–he seems like the nicest, most genuine guy in the world and in every picture of him, he’s smiling like, “Life is good!”

Anyhow, RIP Frank Robinson.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

Can’t edit because the posts disappear but obviously, Lynn posted a sweet tribute to Robinson.

1 user thanked author for this post.

At least he picked decent paintings, Gill would pick shitty metal albums.

Is there any other kind?

Lebron
    Participant

That guy was solid.  No Rebhorn obviously, but who is?

Albert Finney wont be down for breakfast or able to star in the sequel to Looker (a movie I liked a lot as a kid).

Suzy
    Participant

That guy was solid. No Rebhorn obviously, but who is?

Love Finney in “Two for the Road” with Audrey Hepburn.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Loved his scene with Roberts in Brockovich

What makes you think you can go in there and do whatever you want?

They’re called boobs, Ed.

His appearance in Skyfall was a great surprise as well.

I’m a big fan of Miller’s Crossing, and Finney’s great in it. Mostly I love the slang concocted for the movie.

take your flunky and dangle.

Mr. Inside-Outski, like some goddamn Bolshevik picking up his orders from Yegg Central.

What’s the rumpus?

She’s a sick twist all right.

I’M SICK A’ THE HIGH HAT!

Lebron
    Participant

I give up.

“The way I viewed the situation is that I think a lot of people, because of Kyrie’s announcement at the beginning of the year, thought that it was a marriage,” Ainge said on Boston sports radio 98.5 The Sports Hub. “And I think that it’s more like an engagement. And we’re going to get married on July 1st. I think that engagement is still on, as far as I know.

“In my individual conversations with Kyrie, we’re still engaged but we really can’t make those vows, sign that contract until July 1st.”

Feejis
    Participant

The NBA and its people seem exhausting.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

The NBA and its people seem exhausting.

You don’t have to follow the nonsense to enjoy the games though. NBA twitter is like Boston Sports Radio, not listening has brought me more joy.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Good actor. RIP.

Maybe late to this but the great Frank Robinson passed yesterday. There were some really heartfelt tributes on Twitter. Man, Fred Lynn is a great follow–he seems like the nicest, most genuine guy in the world and in every picture of him, he’s smiling like, “Life is good!”

Anyhow, RIP Frank Robinson.

I remember my parents thought that Finney’s breakout film, Tom Jones, was tremendous.  Very risqué and different. I saw it as an adult and it was kind of a letdown, I guess because what was bawdy and daring and funny in 1963 had been wayyyyyyy surpassed by 1993 or 1994, whenever I saw it.

Frank Robinson was the real deal, even in the twilight of his career with the Orioles. He would have been amazing in a Red Sox uniform, but he was a little too “militant” for Yawkey and his front office.  :ozzy:   However, he mentored a young Don Baylor and in 1986 Baylor, as a veteran, brought Robinson’s attributes — crowding the plate, getting on by HBP, sliding hard into second to break up the DP, leader in the clubhouse (judge of the Kangaroo Court), as well as power hitting — here to win a pennant.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I remember my parents thought that Finney’s breakout film, Tom Jones, was tremendous. Very risqué and different. I saw it as an adult and it was kind of a letdown, I guess because what was bawdy and daring and funny in 1963 had been wayyyyyyy surpassed by 1993 or 1994, whenever I saw it.

It’s like a tamer version of Moulin Rouge, with the weird cartoon sound effects and irreverent cutting and breaking the 4th wall. I totally get why 60’s audiences had never seen anything like it.

Coma
    Participant

What does BB have to atone for? The Miami game? Shitting the bed in Detroit?

Not producing multiple 19-0 seasons, where the offense scores at will every game and the defense shuts every opponent down, holding them to one score or less.

Somehow, these people believe they’re more realistic and rational than the “homers” who are happy after a close win or aren’t suicidal after a loss.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

The idea that Butler playing would have made the difference between defeat and victory is the most insane mind-virus that has spread through the brain-dead hottake collective in some time. Apparently Bill is “atoning” for that. They can all fuck off.

Lebron
    Participant

He’s a cornerback for crying out loud.  Bill didn’t play him because apparently he was a complete fucking mess leading up to the game.  If he played they may have lost worse.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Harmon went from 2 snaps in the AFCC to being ready when his number was called in the Soupey.

Shelton went from healthy scratch to important starter in the Super Bowl.

Why are we still talking about this?

Participant

Dak gets it….

“Nobody’s wife makes as much money as his wife does either,” Prescott told USA Today, referring to supermodel Gisele Bündchen. “When Tom Brady isn’t the breadwinner in the home, then that’s a great problem to have.

“So in that case, he can do that. He can do his contract however you want to do it.”

Big Fat O
    Participant

Ainge is the best GM at keeping the media at bay. I actually believe what he says which may be wrong but he’s talking to the players and the the “insiders” aren’t.

Humphrey
    Participant

I’m a big fan of Miller’s Crossing, and Finney’s great in it. Mostly I love the slang concocted for the movie.

take your flunky and dangle.

Mr. Inside-Outski, like some goddamn Bolshevik picking up his orders from Yegg Central.

What’s the rumpus?

She’s a sick twist all right.

I’M SICK A’ THE HIGH HAT!

I love the scene where Leo kills the guys who come to his house to kill him….with Danny Boy playing in the background.
    Jon Polito, another unfortunately dead actor who was great in that movie.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

So reputed smart person Craig Mustard just told me and literally tens of other listeners that the Sterling Moore pass breakup in the end zone was ‘a Lee Evans drop.’  :dry:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Lebron
    Participant

So Gase’s staff includes Hardo Gregg and Joe Vitt.  Is Gase not familiar with Vitt calling Hardo Gregg a liar and referring to his hardoness a schtick no one takes seriously?  And sounds like Hardo Gregg got mad at Gase because he didn’t originally hire his kid Blake but now he has.  And Vitt is Gase’s father in law.  I’m sure this will all go well.

Lefty

So Gase’s staff includes Hardo Gregg and Joe Vitt. Is Gase not familiar with Vitt calling Hardo Gregg a liar and referring to his hardoness a schtick no one takes seriously? And sounds like Hardo Gregg got mad at Gase because he didn’t originally hire his kid Blake but now he has. And Vitt is Gase’s father in law. I’m sure this will all go well.

Image result for adam gase eyes

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

So Gase’s staff includes Hardo Gregg and Joe Vitt. Is Gase not familiar with Vitt calling Hardo Gregg a liar and referring to his hardoness a schtick no one takes seriously? And sounds like Hardo Gregg got mad at Gase because he didn’t originally hire his kid Blake but now he has. And Vitt is Gase’s father in law. I’m sure this will all go well.

Image result for adam gase eyes

It’s remarkable how Adam Gase has gone from reasonable looking human being at the beginning of his Dolphins’ tenure to overacting ham cast in community theatre production of Glengarry Glen Ross in his Jets’ press conference.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Just got back from lunch at my daughter’s favorite restaurant, the 99 (in Braintree, not Charlestown, alas). On all the TVs were a replay of Super Bowl Fucking 42, because that’s all the rest of America has left, I guess. Anyway, Asante Samuel’s INT drop was precisely the same level of difficulty as Stephon Gilmore’s successful INT. Jump, slightly raise arms, grab ball and win Super Bowl. No interference from WR. That’s why Stephon is an all pro and Asante was just very good, I guess?

Something I forgot altogether: After Asante’s drop, after the helmet catch, Eli throws a tipped wounded duck popup that wobbles down at the 10 yard line that #31 gets his fingertips on for another chance at the game winning INT. That one would have been a spectacular catch, but it was a chance and I forgot all about it. Looked up the roster: Brandon Meriweather! Cripes.

At one point, Eli was 10 for 21 for 105 yards or so and Burress was 1 for 6 targets. Defense did its’ work that day, Asante’s drop aside.

Side benefit of this last Super Bowl: 42 is no longer the gold standard for awesome offense getting unexpectedly stifled in the Super Bowl.

In conclusion, fuck the Giants and fuck the refs for not calling the in the grasp and holding.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 272 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar