Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 02/04/2019 – 02/10/2018 Championship Week, Parade Week

This topic contains 271 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Yahtzee 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 272 total)
  • Author

Participant

Couldn’t here what was going on where I was at Sunday.

Rewatched last night – it was nice of the league to stop things and tell McVay he fvcked up and to decline the penalty on the fg drive.

The pic bunker needs a GIF of Bill yelling WTF is going on at a side judge.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Rewatched last night – it was nice of the league to stop things and tell McVay he fvcked up and to decline the penalty on the fg drive.

Tony was so excitable I had a hard time following along, I’m sure the casual fan was 100% lost.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

What a 24 hours for John Henry – Pats win super bowl and Liverpool drips points at west ham, daminging their tital hopes. That’s a shame.

What If They Held a Truck Day, and Nobody Gave a Rat’s Ass?
    It was essentially ignored yesterday*, and this is coming off a world championship season.

*Even by a baseball fan like me.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

Was it smart to decline that penalty? My memory is that they probably would have been out of field goal range and there would have been 25-30 seconds left in a one score game. Instead they got 5 more yards and kicked the game clinching field goal.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Was it smart to decline that penalty? My memory is that they probably would have been out of field goal range and there would have been 25-30 seconds left in a one score game. Instead they got 5 more yards and kicked the game clinching field goal.

Two things that they could have used a quick graphic for:

The measurement for first down on that drive was extremely close, closer than the 4 inches the ref tried to show. Why did CBS not have a graphic showing the casual fan where the ball needs to be relative to the stick for a first down? And they did not zoom in.

They have a ref in the booth and 500 productions guys on the broadcast, no one could have quickly thrown up a side by side of calculated time left to accept/decline the penalty?

InThisTown
    Participant

I want to wear Anna Meiler’s ass as a hat.

Hacksaw
    Participant

What a 24 hours for John Henry – Pats win super bowl and Liverpool drips points at west ham, daminging their tital hopes. That’s a shame.

It was essentially ignored yesterday*, and this is coming off a world championship season.

I thought it was a Red Sox thing….even the Giants, Cubs and Padres did that same shit.

Feejis
    Participant

There was 2:25 left when the clock stopped. If they accepted the holding on Gronk they’d have given the Pats a 1st and 20 from the Rams 43 with no timeouts left.

1st down takes them to the 2 min warning. 2nd down takes it down another 45 seconds or so. Assuming a 3rd down run takes another 45 seconds, Pats would’ve been punting with about 30 seconds to go assuming they had been stopped. So LA has the ball with 27-28 seconds left in a 7 point game with no timeouts. Not sure that is markedly better but it’s probably a little better.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Feejis.
    4 users thanked author for this post.

Humphrey
    Participant

And Shira Springer will have one less space to put up one of her obscure ladies’ championship banners at the airport.

Humphrey
    Participant

I’m guilty of complaining about the NFL’s leadership and how they tinker with the game and it’s rules, usually needlessly. One thing I have enjoyed, though, is the week long coronation the SB winner gets on the NFLN. The game gets replayed multiple times, the Sound FX show, interviews, etc. I wouldn’t pay much attention if my team wasn’t in the Super Bowl or if they lost, but it is nice when they win.

I’ve heard a little grousing about the penalty for the helmet to helmet hit on Burkhead that gave the Patriots a first down early in the game, but I haven’t heard any talk about the officials calling a pass complete when the LA receiver only got one foot down inbounds. The Rams ran a play quickly after that, before replay could even show it should have been ruled incomplete. In the end, it didn’t end up meaning anything, like the Burkhead play. It’s a nice quirk of the game – A team thinks they might have benefited from a questionable call, so they race to run another play to prevent the play from being overturned. I think we would have heard a little more about that situation if it had been Hogan only getting one foot down and the Patriots running a quick play.

One of my favorite plays of the game: Dietrich Wise clotheslining CJ Anderson on a running play. I think Michel received a similar hit earlier, but it was impressive to see Wise put someone Anderson’s size flat on his back like that. The Rams didn’t do Anderson any favors by handing him the ball on the next play.

It seems like if the throw is in the end zone and its close, the back judges are instructed to call it a touchdown because the replay will sort it out and the only negative will be the game will be a bit slower. However, on the field, that shouldn’t be the standard. The offense can challenge and/or in the last two minutes and overtime it’s reviewed anyway. The defense can’t speed up the action to create a situation where the play gets run w/o the chance to look at the video.

Humphrey
    Participant

And the Beanpot too…

NASCL
    Participant

Pats fan Fitzy is a real hoot.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Pats fan Fitzy is a real hoot.

Like a hernia

Coma
    Participant

Been listening to Pittsburgh radio for the salty tears. They begrudgingly acknowledge Belichick and Brady as the GOATs, respectively, and the six SBs in 18 years as more impressive than however long it took them to get their six.

They’ve got a new go-to, though. They don’t accept it all as one dynasty, but two separate ones. This way, they can say four in six years is more impressive than three in four or three in five.

And they say outcoaching Tomlin, Reid or McVay isn’t the same thing as outcoaching Noll. Felger should listen and take notes.

Their takeaway is that one dynasty is better than 2 dynasties? Even when they try to twist things in the Steelers favor, they fail.

Suzy
    Participant

Hey, the bastard got to attend the parade this year!  :ohmy:

:lol:

NASCL
    Participant

One of the more underrated parts of the Patriots dynasty(ies) is that they got to stomp on a competitive Steelers franchise, including winning two AFCCG in Pittsburgh.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Since then NFL was essentially a different league before the salary cap and free agency, the Yinzers and the Cheese Heads should duke it out for supremacy. And in that case, the Stillers weren’t even the Greatest Dynasty (Lombardi’s five titals in seven years vs. Noll’s four in six) of that bygone era.

jforb
    Participant

One of the more underrated parts of the Patriots dynasty(ies) is that they got to stomp on a competitive Steelers franchise, including winning two AFCCG in Pittsburgh.

If Tomlin was the least bit competent, we’d probably have dueling dynasties right now.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Armageddon for the haters.

Speaking of whom, BBTL or any other Board expert on these matters might want to contact AP Sportswriter Paul Newberry and straighten him out.

Pats win, but still …   <link>

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I tried to work out which teams would have won in a world in which the Brady/Belichick Pats were never a factor, based on who gave the Pats the hardest time in the playoffs.

2001 – 50/50 Rams/Raiders. F the Steelers.

2003 – Carolina, maybe Tennessee.

2004 – Phillie was the only competitive game

2014 – Seattle, maybe Baltimore

2016 – Atlanta was the only competitive game.

2018 – Probably KC. We denied Reid twice!

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Did the entire membership of The Gang Green have aneurysms last night when they saw Namath hand the Lombardi to the Patriots? (Wasn’t he the last one in line, or was it Emmitt Smith?) I also thought, as that Namath thing was going on, that the Pats players probably wondered who that sketchy-looking old man carrying the trophy was …

Shit run by New York, from New York, commanded by lifelong outer boroughs lifers. In their minds, Namath was never a draft-dodger (that would be non-New Yorker Cassius Clay) but the symbol of football and freedom across the electrified world. It’s only fitting that Namath be the one to pass the trophy to the justifiably befuddled 2018-19 team because he won the Super Bowl Noo Yawk J-E-T-S in their first of, um, one Super Bowl appearance(s).

The logic behind the “one dynasty is better than two” take is since they were cheating for the first dynasty, we can dismiss it altogether.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

My takeaway from Brady, after all these years, is that he doesn’t always make the perfect read, or put the ball in the exact right spot, or deal with pressure ideally. His legacy should be that he competes with the absolute maximum competitive intensity on every single play. And that’s not eye test shit. At some point there is so much evidence of a thing being true that you don’t have to evaluate it mathematically.

One of the dustiest cliches ever is “Great players aren’t great all the time, they’re just great when they have to be.” Cliches normally suck and are often false, but that one’s true. Brady fits it just as well as anyone. Hell, Elway used to make a living out of looking shitty early in games then killing you at the end.

The sad part is the small amount of time you look human is what the media gloms on to because they need their takez and storylinez about cliffs and declining skills. Giving Wade Phillips too much credit takes the blame away from Brady looking less than superhuman at times, so we can’t have that.

Romo’s motor-mouth performance spent a lot of the first half gushing over Wade P. Not a peep when his D had too many men on the field, though.

:ozzy:

chicowalker
    Participant

Im starting to feel like its just over.Theres literally no good that can cone over the next 30 years that can make up for how horrible this team has been & how invincible this turncoat vindictive piece garbage’s teams have been & all the shots hes taken while we’re down.

You win bill.Time to follow indoor lacrosse.Anyone but the fucking boston team

3 users thanked author for this post.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Rumors abound that the Pats won’t get the opener next season. Wouldn’t want to feature your signature franchise on your 100th anniversary. That would be dumb.

Giants vs. Jets is what America is clamoring for.  :blink:

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 272 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar