Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 02/04/2019 – 02/10/2018 Championship Week, Parade Week

This topic contains 271 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Yahtzee 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 272 total)
  • Author

Participant

The Hi Vivi/Hi Gronky exchange is an all timer.

Anyone do a wellness check on the dentist and lucky?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

So what’s the BSMW list of undeserving Hall of Famers?

Has to start with Jerome Bettis, doesn’t it?

Participant

Shank?

Yahtzee
    Participant

I’ve always appreciated the anti-Lynn Swan contingent.

2 users thanked author for this post.

I’m sure there’s a bevy of Steelers to choose from. Actually, we should start with the bullshit with all these goddamn owners getting in.

It’s the moving goalposts that’s so annoying. I don’t know whether Edelman’s Hall-worthy or not, but he’s still playing, and he’s certainly put in some performances that make it at least worth discussing. I heard John Clayton today just shut it down cold: “Not a chance”. Now in fairness, he was citing some big numbers guys like Isaac Bruce who haven’t got in yet, and that’s a reasonable argument. But then he turned around and said, “Edelman has only been in one Pro Bowl!”, as if one bullshit subjective circle-jerk exercise is what predicates nomination into another one.

Weren’t Swann’s career stats questionable for the Hall even for when he got inducted? The unspoken understanding was he was a key part of a four-time Super Bowl winner, and he played his best football in those championship games. OK, fine, so there’s your alternative criteria for worthiness: championship-level performances on a multi-SB winning team. But no, instead, I hear some radio asshole (it might still have been Clayton) today say, “Edelman only has 30 touchdowns; Swann had 51.” I thought we already established Swann’s career numbers should be ignored. Stanley Morgan had 21 more TDs, 221 more catches and 5254 more yards than Swann; can I start ginning up his HoF campaign?

4 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

Inside the NFL is on Showtime.

EDIT And it’s glorious.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  02062.

Feejis
    Participant

I’m sure there’s a bevy of Steelers to choose from. Actually, we should start with the bullshit with all these goddamn owners getting in.

It’s the moving goalposts that’s so annoying. I don’t know whether Edelman’s Hall-worthy or not, but he’s still playing, and he’s certainly put in some performances that make it at least worth discussing. I heard John Clayton today just shut it down cold: “Not a chance”. Now in fairness, he was citing some big numbers guys like Isaac Bruce who haven’t got in yet, and that’s a reasonable argument. But then he turned around and said, “Edelman has only been in one Pro Bowl!”, as if one bullshit subjective circle-jerk exercise is what predicates nomination into another one.

Weren’t Swann’s career stats questionable for the Hall even for when he got inducted? The unspoken understanding was he was a key part of a four-time Super Bowl winner, and he played his best football in those championship games. OK, fine, so there’s your alternative criteria for worthiness: championship-level performances on a multi-SB winning team. But no, instead, I hear some radio asshole (it might still have been Clayton) today say, “Edelman only has 30 touchdowns; Swann had 51.” I thought we already established Swann’s career numbers should be ignored. Stanley Morgan had 21 more TDs, 221 more catches and 5254 more yards than Swann; can I start ginning up his HoF campaign?

At some point voters will start to recognize the slot positions as something different than the traditional outside receivers. Bruce and Marvin Hardison our up great numbers but neither guy was asked or was willing to take hits and go in the tough places. Better numbers but were they better at their respective jobs?

Take it to an extreme example with a guy like James White. If he keeps catching 75-80 balls a year but only runs for 400 yards a year, he could have some crazy numbers. Measured against a traditional running back, not so great. Larry Centers is a good comp. He has 827 career catches, most among RBs and top 30 overall all time. With 9,000 all purpose yards. He’s the best there ever was at doing that job. Why can’t he have a place?

jforb
    Participant

Ray Guy

Humphrey
    Participant

The Pelicans told the Lakers “no thanks” and then LA goes out and loses to the Pacers by 42 points. Guess Lebron wants Walton out whether or not he gets AD as his new playmate.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  Humphrey.

Gimp
    Participant

I still think Ghost should have been in the MVP conversation.  Scored more than half the Pats points.

Just sayin…

Big Fat O
    Participant

I’m surprised Walton has lasted this long.

Now that the Pats won we get the Celtics suck for the next 5 months. Time for the Celtics to shut them up.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Joe Namath, Underserving Hall of Famer.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

There are 24 guys in the Hall of Fame who’ve had some association with the Steelers. Removing guys who made their name elsewhere (like Bobby Layne), and the pre-Super Bowl era guys, they still have 16 guys in the Hall:

Name, Position (Years with the Steelers), Year Inducted
    Jerome Bettis, Running Back (1993 – 1995, Rams; 1996 – 2005, Steelers), 2017
    Mel Blount, Cornerback (1970 – 1983), 1989
    Terry Bradshaw, Quarterback (1970 – 1983), 1989
    Dermontti Dawson, Center (1988 – 2000), 2012
    Joe Greene, Defensive Tackle (1969 – 1981); Coach (1987 – 1991), 1987
    Kevin Greene, Linebacker (1985 – 1992, Rams; 1993 – 1995, Steelers; 1996 & 1998 – 1999, Panthers; 1997, 49ers), 2016
    Jack Ham, Linebacker (1971 – 1982), 1988
    Franco Harris, Running Back (1972 – 1983), 1990
    Jack Lambert, Linebacker (1974 – 1984), 1990
    Chuck Noll, Head Coach (1969 – 1991), 1993
    Arthur J. Rooney, Sr. Founder, President, and Chairman of the Board (1933 – 1988), 1964
    Daniel M. Rooney, President, Chairman (1955 – 2017), 2000
    John Stallworth, Wide Receiver (1974 – 1987), 2002
    Lynn Swann, Wide Receiver (1974 – 1982), 2001
    Mike Webster, Center (1974 – 1988), 1997
    Rod Woodson, Cornerback (1987 – 1996), 2009

Not sure where Greene falls; more a Ram than a Steeler?

Anyway, there are nine players in from their 70s Super Bowl run. How many are in just because of those Super Bowls? Bradshaw, for instance,  completed barely half his passes and his TD/INT ratio was nearly 1/1, but how could you possibly not have a 4 SB winning QB in the Hall of Fame? I don’t know enough about their 70s contemporaries to rate Ham, Lambert or Webster. Both Swann and Stallworth had to wait a while for induction; I wonder what kind of sentiment pushed them through in the early aughts.

One more thing I forgot to mention from those Pitt stations. One duo was talking to Ed Bouchette, who just got back from the game, and is himself one of the HoF voters. He was commenting on the Pats’ lack of HoFers from their long run, and in talking about this year’s deliberations, he couldn’t even remember Seymour’s name! In the meantime, they were pissed Alan Faneca didn’t make it.

Lebron
    Participant

Edelman has only been compiling stats for 4 or 5 seasons.  First big season was 2013. Had the foot injury in ‘15 and missed 2017.  Missed the first 4 this season.  2010 and 2011 he caught 11 passes total, had 4 career touchdowns through 2012.  So all the yammering about his numbers doesn’t take into account how hard he had to work to stick on a roster where Welker was ahead of him through the first 4 years of his career.  When Welker left and he got his chance he’s put up very respectable numbers.  I was looking at Biletnikoff, he was 589/8974/76.  One time All Pro four Pro Bowls.  One ring.  Numbers wise Edelman likely won’t stack up so it would have to be postseason considering.  And Biletnikoff got a SB MVP on 4/76/0.  That’s pathetic.

Lebron
    Participant

Funny you mention Ham as I thought of him but he’s the forgotten guy on that defense.  6x first team All Pro 2x second team.  DPOY in ‘75.  All decade team, 75th anniversary team.  Even had 32 picks.  Lambert was a 2x DPOY in 2 different decades and was all decade in 2 decades.  Same number of All Pros. 75th anniversary team.  Those guys were fucking good.

3 users thanked author for this post.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Enjoyed the Inside the NFL mic’d up segments although the panel “discussions” made my brain hurt.  Ray Lewis talking about how special he and Ed Reed are earned a hard ffwd.  I liked the sound of McDaniels and Brady talking Bill into kicking the FG in the 4th.  It’s almost like he values their opinions and is not a despotic my way or the highway automaton.  My impression was he was leaning towards going for the throat and the first down and thought the better of it after Brady spoke up.

Participant

Enjoyed the Inside the NFL mic’d up segments although the panel “discussions” made my brain hurt. Ray Lewis talking about how special he and Ed Reed are earned a hard ffwd. I liked the sound of McDaniels and Brady talking Bill into kicking the FG in the 4th. It’s almost like he values their opinions and is not a despotic my way or the highway automaton. My impression was he was leaning towards going for the throat and the first down and thought the better of it after Brady spoke up.

The last 90 seconds of the NFL Films portion is going to be there forever to remind everyone that Pee Wee Reimer called that child a pissant and weei, Bradford and Callahan pimped for Al’s “career” after the fact.

jforb
    Participant

Enjoyed the Inside the NFL mic’d up segments although the panel “discussions” made my brain hurt. Ray Lewis talking about how special he and Ed Reed are earned a hard ffwd. I liked the sound of McDaniels and Brady talking Bill into kicking the FG in the 4th. It’s almost like he values their opinions and is not a despotic my way or the highway automaton. My impression was he was leaning towards going for the throat and the first down and thought the better of it after Brady spoke up.

Which reminds me, why didn’t they try the get to the line and yell and scream and try to get LA to jump? Almost never works, but seemed like a waste to mill around waiting for the clock to run down before taking the timeout. Risk of flinching yourself too big?

Feejis
    Participant

Funny you mention Ham as I thought of him but he’s the forgotten guy on that defense. 6x first team All Pro 2x second team. DPOY in ‘75. All decade team, 75th anniversary team. Even had 32 picks. Lambert was a 2x DPOY in 2 different decades and was all decade in 2 decades. Same number of All Pros. 75th anniversary team. Those guys were fucking good.

I’m sure they were good. But “how” good remains to be seen. Games weren’t all on TV and the writers voting for such things didn’t all see these guys play all that much.  I’m sure the guy in Minnesota or Miami or whatever just relied on the Pittsburgh colleagues’ word that these guys were terrific.

Then it’s built into legend and guys who had the same impact on historic runs like Bruschi and McGinest couldn’t possibly be as good because steel curtain and yada yada.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

The San Francisco 49ers are hiring former Houston Texans assistant Wes Welker as their wide receivers coach, according to multiple reports Tuesday.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

BrianInLA
    Participant

Has anyone used the word “blueprint” in terms of how to defend the Rams after this?

Actually out here they have. They’re all talking about the Detroit blueprint that was copied by the Eagles and now the Patriots and some blame on McVay (and some on Goff) for being too one dimensional and not being able to adjust on the fly. The Pats beat the shit out of the Rams players coming off the line very similar to the old Colts playoff games in the early 2000’s before they changed the rules. There are a few clips of Van Noy destroying Reynolds off the line and then chasing down Goff to the sideline.

Yesterday they were grilling McVay on the Gurley usage and he swears Gurley is healthy (they pointed out that Gurley was the fastest player on the field for any play on sunday) and McVay claimed that they had such great success against Dallas using both backs that he wanted to do the same going forward and have them be a dual threat. If that is in fact all true the guy is a dunce and not the boy genius everyone is claiming.

BrianInLA
    Participant

The Pelicans told the Lakers “no thanks” and then LA goes out and loses to the Pacers by 42 points. Guess Lebron wants Walton out whether or not he gets AD as his new playmate.

Have to be impressed by the Pacer fans chanting at every Lakers player who went to the line “Lebron wants to trade you” quite loudly.

6 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

Jesus Ironhead

If there’s more energy than usual coming from the Boston Sports Journal’s Greg Bedard this week, it’s easy to understand why. Curiously, it’s not because he’s approaching #BSJ10K with the runaway momentum of a Super Bowl drive led by Jared Goff:

:lol:

6 users thanked author for this post.

chicowalker
    Participant

speaking of Ironhead, I took a page from his masochistic playbook and listened to the first hour of Bedard on Felger and Mazz yesterday.  The impotent rage of those three at the Pats victory is delicious.  Bedard seriously shocked that some of his tape-backed takes were proven to be wrong.  He watched film, for god’s sake!

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 272 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar