Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 02/04/2019 – 02/10/2018 Championship Week, Parade Week

This topic contains 271 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Yahtzee 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 272 total)
  • Author

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I hadn’t noticed that Gilmore got a hand on Cooks’s arm on that second pass breakup. What a game he had.

Speaking of that was Sunday this first time in the last 4 Super Bowls where the Pats didn’t need to bench or dramatically modify defensive back personnel mid-game?

Losing Chung in the third quarter to injury probably qualifies.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

The thing about these anti-Belichick media jackals (like Buckley) is that, if the Pats do go into a 2009-2010-like rebuild and go 10-6, 9-7, etc., or if they get bounced in an early playoff round, they will totally ignore the fact that he won six rings and is the acknowledged greatest coach in the history of the NFL and resort to score-settling and petty criticisms. They only shut up when he wins it all. Do you see the level of sniping about the Malcolm Butler decision being the same if the coach were Andy Reid or Doug Pederson or Pete Carroll?

Remember when, during the Hernandez arrest, they were all crowing that the big, bad national media were coming to Foxboro to teach Bill a little humility? Yeah, sure.

I read Ben Bradlee Jr.’s 2013 bio of Ted Williams a few months ago and he pointed out that the Herald was still going after Williams in 1966 after his Hall of Fame induction ceremony. Tim Horgan wrote a piece in which someone claimed that Williams cursed out late columnist and nemesis Dave Egan at some presser in Cooperstown. So naturally the Herald (which was then a staid, locally owned broadsheet, not a tabloid like the Heart-owned Record American) runs a banner headline to the tune of Williams’ Vulgar Behavior Mars Induction.  Except it turned out that (as multiple witnesses and a tape recording of the presser proved) Williams had really said “Yeah, that Dave Egan!” NOT “Yeah, fuck Dave Egan!”  The Herald printed a retraction.

We should never underestimate the lasting power of bitterness among sportswriters.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Are you happy?/Yes, I’m happy/I’m so happy!

Reimer should off himself after what he said about that kid.

In any other city, with an athlete of Brady’s magnitude, Reimer’s comments would be a career killer or, at least, a career derailer. If someone worked for a local station in New Orleans and made a comment like that about one of Brees’ children or someone in LA/Cleveland/Miami said something negative about one of Lebron’s (the basketball player) kids, there would be such a backlash, they’d be done in that market. Maybe they wouldn’t be fired immediately, but they would “move on” to an opportunity at a station in Nevada or New Mexico. Reimer got a short suspension, where he was stilled allowed to write anonymous articles for EEI, is right back where he was pre-incident and everyone acts like nothing happened.

In other words, business as usual at WEEI.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Mic’d up was great last night.  Couple things that stood out for me.

Aaron Donald has quite a Rainman streak in him.  No wonder they couldn’t stop the Pats at the end he was in an OCD frenzy before the game even started.  Also, he spends the whole game telling the Pats to single team him then when he gets singled up he admits he didn’t win.  Pats interior line is maybe the best unit on the team imo.

There’s no way McVay/Goff have staying power.  McVay sounds like Mr. Rogers “you’re doing great Jared” and Goff has the testicular fortitude of Tony Eason.

Edelman should never not be mic’d.

Love Belichick stalking McVay on the sidelines “Josh where’s McVay I lost him”.

Lebron
    Participant

I couldn’t make out 3/4 of what Donald was saying.  I love how Bill worked with his assistants, gave them the big picture – we got like 15 calls left – then gave them direction, namely make sure they’re right.

I think with McVay or any of these guys buried in call sheets on either side of the ball it’s going to be difficult.  Bill does what any leader should do, surround himself with the right people and empower them.  Gather input on big decisions and create an environment where guys don’t fear providing input.  How can you keep track of the clock or what’s going on when you’re balls deep in a Cheesecake Factory menu of plays that you won’t delegate to someone else to call?  How can you keep track of what adjustments you need?  How can you step away for a few minutes and talk to one side of the ball?  Bill is watching/observing and able to adjust, all while being free to talk to people and see how it’s going, give them feedback and tell them what he’s observing.  These other guys have all these plays in front of them, and that’s it.

Lebron
    Participant

Like with McVay, I’d assume he has no idea what goes on with the defense.  On the one hand, great, you hired Wade Phillips.  Smart hire, guy has been a head coach multiple times and is a proven defensive coordinator.  But do guys like Donald or Suh or nut jobs like Peters and Talib take anything McVay says seriously?  Do they even listen to a word he says or talk to him?  He’s so buried in the offense and calling plays he has zero impact on those guys.

4 users thanked author for this post.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

I couldn’t make out 3/4 of what Donald was saying. I love how Bill worked with his assistants, gave them the big picture – we got like 15 calls left – then gave them direction, namely make sure they’re right.

I think with McVay or any of these guys buried in call sheets on either side of the ball it’s going to be difficult. Bill does what any leader should do, surround himself with the right people and empower them. Gather input on big decisions and create an environment where guys don’t fear providing input. How can you keep track of the clock or what’s going on when you’re balls deep in a Cheesecake Factory menu of plays that you won’t delegate to someone else to call? How can you keep track of what adjustments you need? How can you step away for a few minutes and talk to one side of the ball? Bill is watching/observing and able to adjust, all while being free to talk to people and see how it’s going, give them feedback and tell them what he’s observing. These other guys have all these plays in front of them, and that’s it.

Yep Bill wades into the details when he thinks he needs to then backs off and looks big picture.  He didn’t tell Flores what to call on those last 15 plays just to make sure his guys are in position to execute it.  Then later tells McDaniels to pick his best plays, not which plays specifically.  Excellent delegation.  Also liked when Bill decided they had this thing figured out and told the D the rams had nothing for them.  Shows the killer instinct.

jforb
    Participant

Yep Bill wades into the details when he thinks he needs to then backs off and looks big picture. He didn’t tell Flores what to call on those last 15 plays just to make sure his guys are in position to execute it. Then later tells McDaniels to pick his best plays, not which plays specifically. Excellent delegation. Also liked when Bill decided they had this thing figured out and told the D the rams had nothing for them. Shows the killer instinct.

Meanwhile, 0 people are paying for this

It doesn’t really matter. It’s not like Schiano is bringing his own defensive system (which is terrible). This is Bill Belichick’s defense, his system and the defensive coordinator is window dressing. Bill sets the tone for the gameplan and has input throughout, including in-game adjustments. Yes, the DC is the playcaller and that makes some difference.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Mic’d up was great last night. Couple things that stood out for me.

Aaron Donald has quite a Rainman streak in him. No wonder they couldn’t stop the Pats at the end he was in an OCD frenzy before the game even started. Also, he spends the whole game telling the Pats to single team him then when he gets singled up he admits he didn’t win. Pats interior line is maybe the best unit on the team imo.

There’s no way McVay/Goff have staying power. McVay sounds like Mr. Rogers “you’re doing great Jared” and Goff has the testicular fortitude of Tony Eason.

Edelman should never not be mic’d.

I actually had a post half written saying exactly that about Donald and comparing him to Rainman last night. I ended up deleting it because I got distracted watching the rest of the Mic’d up but that guy sure babbles to himself the entire game. I would be annoyed as heck having to play next to him.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I hadn’t noticed that Gilmore got a hand on Cooks’s arm on that second pass breakup. What a game he had.

Speaking of that was Sunday this first time in the last 4 Super Bowls where the Pats didn’t need to bench or dramatically modify defensive back personnel mid-game?

That would certainly count :lol: I was thinking more along the line of a performance based adjustment.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Yep Bill wades into the details when he thinks he needs to then backs off and looks big picture. He didn’t tell Flores what to call on those last 15 plays just to make sure his guys are in position to execute it. Then later tells McDaniels to pick his best plays, not which plays specifically. Excellent delegation. Also liked when Bill decided they had this thing figured out and told the D the rams had nothing for them. Shows the killer instinct.

It doesn’t really matter. It’s not like Schiano is bringing his own defensive system (which is terrible). This is Bill Belichick’s defense, his system and the defensive coordinator is window dressing. Bill sets the tone for the gameplan and has input throughout, including in-game adjustments. Yes, the DC is the playcaller and that makes some difference.

‘Which is terrible’

I assume this is Craig. What an ego Craig has for running a low rent site.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

That would certainly count :lol: I was thinking more along the line of a performance based adjustment.

I wasn’t trying to be snarky but, like many here, I was thinking about Rodney Harrison (and Geno Wilson) getting hurt in SB 38. Your point certainly stands and I flashed back to the Seattle game and the in-game assignment changes that shut down their tall receiver.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

‘Which is terrible’

I assume this is Craig. What an ego Craig has for running a low rent site.

Did AAC happen to notice Belichick high-fiving anyone with a hand over Flores’ play call on the Gilmore pick?  It matters alot.  Also, all we heard all year was how Flores made things simpler and allowed players to play fast.  Bedard personifies “doesn’t know what he doesn’t know”.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Ironhead
    Participant

I stole that Bedard clip for Twitter, which is terrible on its own merits.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Hacksaw
    Participant

I couldn’t make out 3/4 of what Donald was saying. I love how Bill worked with his assistants, gave them the big picture – we got like 15 calls left – then gave them direction, namely make sure they’re right.

I think with McVay or any of these guys buried in call sheets on either side of the ball it’s going to be difficult. Bill does what any leader should do, surround himself with the right people and empower them. Gather input on big decisions and create an environment where guys don’t fear providing input. How can you keep track of the clock or what’s going on when you’re balls deep in a Cheesecake Factory menu of plays that you won’t delegate to someone else to call? How can you keep track of what adjustments you need? How can you step away for a few minutes and talk to one side of the ball? Bill is watching/observing and able to adjust, all while being free to talk to people and see how it’s going, give them feedback and tell them what he’s observing. These other guys have all these plays in front of them, and that’s it.

I thought Bill using the word “right” at the end of each sentence was to keep them in the mindset of keeping the message positive so they are focused and confident at what they are doing. As if he said “Don’t fuck it up” they would have played it safe with the fear of failing.

BrianInLA
    Participant

That cracked me up for some odd reason. “He’s on the plus 40…” “Oh, ok”. Wonder what Bill is looking for when looking for McVay. To see his reactions to the plays? To get a read on what he might do? To see if he’s talking to the offense or defense? That’s something I wish a media guy would ask because I’m sure there is a technical and awesome answer waiting to happen but instead we’re stuck with the typical 5 questions they always ask.

And can anyone ever imagine Belichick talking to another coach (before the Super Bowl) the way McVay was gushing to Bill? Granted McVay was just saying what all of us already believe and think. Was really unusual hearing the opposing coach saying it just before kickoff.

Then the whole “Are they closing the roof? Whats with this roof? Is there wind?” stuff because they had to have the flyover and no one could give Bill an answer as to how long it would take the roof to be closed prior to kickoff which changed what they were thinking as far as the direction they were choosing to go.

It never gets old nor dull.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

And can anyone ever imagine Belichick talking to another coach (before the Super Bowl) the way McVay was gushing to Bill? Granted McVay was just saying what all of us already believe and think. Was really unusual hearing the opposing coach saying it just before kickoff.

To be fair, Bill was very complementary to Pedersen last year, like he always is (“We tried to find film of you guys trailing in a game, and it was difficult”). The difference is Bill’s manner and tone of voice always makes it sound like he’s just exchanging a pleasant compliment rather than gushing.

Coma
    Participant

SB 39 is on NFLN right now. For the “The Patriots Get All The Calls” crowd, here’s a sequence from the 1st quarter:

McNabb completes a 30 yard pass to Terrell Owens down to the NE 17. Owens was open and able to pick up so many yards because Freddie Mitchell knocked Randall Gay onto his back on a pick play. There’s flag on the play, but it wasn’t on the Eagles. It was a personal foul on Roosevelt Colvin for putting a shoulder into Jon Runyan’s shoulder as Owens was running down field. Colvin’s hit knocked Runyan off balance for a step, but was marginal contact compared to what Mitchell did to Gay and had nothing to do with the play. The penalty moves the ball to NE 8. Two plays later, McNabb throws an interception, but it’s wiped out by an illegal contact penalty on Roman Phifer. The Eagles TE ran down to where Phifer was, made contact with him, then turned around to look for a pass. This was the year they started enforcing illegal contact more frequently, but if that was all it took to draw a penalty, Eric Berry should have been ejected and suspended for what he did to Gronk in the AFCCG this year. The play after that, McNabb threw another interception and there was nothing the officials could do to overturn this one. But, yeah, the Patriots get all the breaks.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Belichick wanting to know where McVay was reminded me of 49 with Carroll – something just didn’t look right over there.  Again, Bill has surrounded himself with the right people and doesn’t have his head buried in a call sheet, so part of his observation is the opponent sideline and what they’re doing.  Hell Bill doesn’t even cover his mouth when he talks like these other guys. He doesn’t have time for that bullshit.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Feejis
    Participant

Did anyone ever get an explanation for the Rams accepting then declining the penalties on that final FG drive? BB was irate.

BrianInLA
    Participant

MLB is proposing a rule change that every pitcher would have to face at least 3 batters before another pitcher can be brought in. I didn’t realize Goodell was in charge of baseball now as well. :dry:

Participant

Did anyone ever get an explanation for the Rams accepting then declining the penalties on that final FG drive? BB was irate.

The refs told McVay he fvkced up, but than did the right thing for him and the league.

Wonder why it didn’t make mic’d up?   :lol:

4 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

I’ll set myself up for later gotchas but I have no idea why you would trade amongst other things a 20 year old who looks like he has multiple All NBAs in his future barring injury for a 25 year old who may or may not want to play here with the standard baggage of being a James binky.  So you can maybe pair him with perpetual cunt hurt all the time Kyrie?  Fuck that a thousand times over.

Lebron
    Participant

He did the same with Gus Bradley a few years back playing the Jags, Gus complimented him Bill said I see what you’re doing here and you’re on the right path Bradley came back with how observing Bill has really helped him over the years just by watching him and at that point Bill was sort of uh huh yeah thanks.   Doesn’t like too much focus being on him.  He’s the first person to say he’s not perfect.

Suzy
    Participant

WordPress ate my post but basically McVay seemed a bit *too* much in awe of BB before the game, not that anyone can blame him.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 272 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar