Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 02/12/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 55 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Kevin 1 year ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like Paul Pierce’s number retirement ceremony?

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Piggybacking on FWL’s post that closed the weekend thread, I suppose Nick “Canard” Cafardo, if he were general manager, could choose his entire 25(26)-man roster from Scott Boras’ stable of clients, although he’d probably pick a few guys (good sources all!) with local connections as a (futile) attempt at objectivity. And we all know who his manager would be.  :rollseyes:

Hacksaw
    Participant

I liked how Dombrowski pretty much ended any Hosmer speculation by signing Moreland to a short deal.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Sports-mad hyperlocal Beantown, where the 98.5 call screener has nearly 4,000 Twitter followers, where Lou Merloni’s cute 11 share is nearer to the floor than the ceiling, BSJ is still looking up at the 8,000 subscriber plateau.  :lol:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

InThisTown
    Participant

On the Tomase was catfished possibility, I just want to spitball a bit to understand this as best we can:

– Was the videographer a Belichick era employee? The only two Bill era video guys who had left as of 2007 according to BBTL are Scar’s kid and Walsh. Scar’s kid went to the Jets and Walsh never worked in the league again. So two possibilities: not a Bill era guy or a fake.

– Did this emailer reach out to Tomase? If so, did Tomase verify who he was and check his employment?

– It would seem curious for Tomase to *not* keep up contact with a person who claims to have this kind of insider information.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I don’t see how the Pats/Panthers guy isn’t fake.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

Been a fun month for sports  :weei:

Major Intangibles
    Participant

I found an old article where Tomase might have been catfished:

September 11th, 2007 A former cameraman speaks Posted by John Tomase at 3:16 pm A former Patriots video coordinator e-mailed to say what happened during the Jets game was incredibly common and not a big deal. To wit: “I read your article with amusement about the Patriots camerman being nabbed at NY. Having worked in the NFL as a video coordinator with both the Pats and the Carolina Panthers, I can tell you this happens all the time. I was often asked by coaches to film opponents, usually during pregame warmups. I find it hard to believe that the Pats would be so brazen with it. We often had cameras hooked up to monitors that the coaches would watch in the booth. I never actually recorded anything, so as not to leave evidence! And I can guarantee you the Jets and everybody else are doing it too.”

The link (here) is dead, and also brings up nothing in the Wayback Machine, but the content was preserved on patsfans.com, as well as a few other spots. I’m sure when I first saw it, my focus was on the alleged former “camerman” (Walsh? Scarnecchia? Who worked for both the Pats and Panthers?) and not the laughable content of the email. Such as the fact it’s been well-established the cameras they had used videotape and couldn’t possibly be “hooked up to monitors”. And what, pray tell, could possibly be garnered from recording “pregame warmups”? So who emailed Tomase, and what due diligence did he take to confirm the sender was who he said he was? Such as simply cross-referencing to determine what videographers worked for both the Pats and Panthers. There is the slight possibility it was legitimately the pathological liar Walsh on the first leg of his Burning Bridges Tour. But he never worked for the Panthers that I can recall.

Reposting, for reference purposes.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Piggybacking on FWL’s post that closed the weekend thread, I suppose Nick “Canard” Cafardo, if he were general manager, could choose his entire 25(26)-man roster from Scott Boras’ stable of clients, although he’d probably pick a few guys (good sources all!) with local connections as a (futile) attempt at objectivity. And we all know who his manager would be. :rollseyes:

I shake my head at how Nick doesn’t even pretend that he’s anything but a mouthpiece for his semi-reputable sources any longer. Yesterday, his “Apropos of Nothing” #1 was about how Larry L was having trouble squeezing money out of Pawtucket and/or Worcester.  #3 floated that Contender X (somewhere in MA, I think) was interested in bringing the PawSox to their burg. Classic war among the rumoured bidders — Boras 101.

And while I still can’t stand Felger, I cheered his disdain for the Martinez deal (mostly because his reasoning was much like mine: long-term big money to an over 30 player who had one big season (a half, really) in 5 years and it happened to be his walk year.

Lastly, LouSpittle is DAMN mad about the Borges/Fake Don Yee incident and wants to give Borges 5 minutes in a room with the hoax perpretator. He’s upset that some prankster “took away” Borges’ livlihood. Not a word about the fact that Ronno never checked or cross checked his sources or anything a real journalist is obligated to do (not to mention the look-away at the Herald editorial level). DAMN, Lou is mad — and it’s all the other guy’s fault. The only remedy: a good old-fashioned Framingham beat-down. No word on if Ron gets to bring his “walking stick.”

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Sports-mad hyperlocal Beantown, where the 98.5 call screener has nearly 4,000 Twitter followers, where Lou Merloni’s cute 11 share is nearer to the floor than the ceiling, BSJ is still looking up at the 8,000 subscriber plateau. 😆

Easy solution: Sign Shank.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Speaking of fun month wonder if the Guerrero getting cut off access from the team was all about the Tom vs Time stuff since they are showing a lot of back channel workings.

Kevin
    Participant

Is Tom vs. Time over? Too short.

jforb
    Participant

One more episode in production

InThisTown
    Participant

The taping (sorry, filming) warmups piece makes the most sense to me and gives the claim the most credibility. (see link below) BUT that would also largely increase the likelihood this was a Belichick era employee. Was Pete Carroll taping warmups?  :rollseyes: Also undercutting the value of that is the fact that ERNIE CAN STAND RIGHT NEXT TO THEM. Now he can’t see everything and everyone, but…

Participant

Damn…..

Former Yankees pitcher Esteban Loaiza was arrested on Friday in San Diego, Calif. with over 20 kilograms of heroin or cocaine, according to a San Diego Sheriff’s Office.

Loaiza, 46, was also charged with felony counts of possession or purchase of narcotics and transportation or sale of narcotics.

Hacksaw
    Participant

I bet the wire taps are what lead to his downfall.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Again, what’s the benefit of filming warmups?

InThisTown
    Participant

Seems pretty straightforward. The video sums it up well. There’s intel to be gained.

It may be retroactive excuse making but what is the earliest record we have of Marty Hurney complaining about spying? I’d most likely believe that it was because it eventually became a safe claim to make…but if there were actually a former NEP guy on staff down there, I’d think about that being a possibility.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Everything don’t you know Ernie has 100s of minions analyzing film in real time so he knows the play even before its called.

Since we’ve won every game and SN since 2001 you can see the value.

InThisTown
    Participant

Also 2018 benefit would be quite different than what they were likely doing in 2003. Sean Harrington’s machine learning wouldn’t pass warmup routes as an input. And I would assume it’s in no way illegal and they are currently doing it from an approved location.

The language of the video portions of the rules and the policy manual state “from the start to the finish of any game in which a club is a participant”, so pre-game falls outside those parameters. So does the walk-through, come to think of it.  :lol:

But playing devil’s advocate, let’s say it’s a Parcells or Carroll era videographer (Jimmy Dee goes back to 1994, and Walsh himself to 1996) who was doing something done by every team, and just oblivious to the fact it’s perfectly legal.

Here’s what I could transcribe at the end of K&C’s time with Tomase today:

TOMASE: “I’d still like ‘Nick in Boston’ to give us his real name.”
    CALLAHAN: “Why?”
    TOMASE: “Give us your full name. ‘Cuz if you’re, if you’re..”
    MINIHANE: “Why? He’s not a journalist. He doesn’t claim to be.”
    TOMASE: “If this act is so heroic, if you exposed, he exposed lazy journalism, how about you let us know who you are.”
    CALLAHAN: “He’s not the story, though. You know that, John, you know that. He’s just a guy…”
    TOMASE: “He’s, he’s part of the story, are you kidding me?”
    MINIHANE: “Borges is the story.”
    TOMASE: “Borges is the story, but Nick is, he plays more than just a small role in that story.”
    CALLAHAN: “So if he comes in here and sits right there, what are you going to ask him?”
    TOMASE: “What’s your name?”
    CALLAHAN: “So what, he’s Bill.”
    MINIHANE: “He’s gonna say?”
    TOMASE: “Tell us your name. Tell us your full name. If you’re willing to ruin the guy’s career…”
    MINIHANE: “Oh, stop. Get over yourself.”
    TOMASE: “…then put your name to it.”
    MINIHANE: “John, John, this is Borges’ fault.”
    TOMASE: “It is Borges’ fault, but this other guy takes blame too.”
    MINIHANE: “OK, Then why don’t you say the name of the sourcing when you were wrong?”
    (pause)
    TOMASE: “That’s different.”
    MINIHANE: “Why? But it’s his fault, no?”
    TOMASE: “No! I’ve never said it’s his fault.”
    MINIHANE: “But he, but he was wrong, though.”
    TOMASE: “That’s my fault. That’s why.”
    MINIHANE: “But it’s also Ron’s fault.”
    TOMASE: “No, this one…”
    MINIHANE: “It’s not Ron’s fault?”
    TOMASE: “Hold on. My situation was my fault. That’s why…”
    MINIHANE: “Yeah, yeah, yeah, OK…”
    TOMASE: “…there’s never gonna be anyone’s name. This one is different. This guy intentionally misled him. And it is gonna result in him being fired. You’re right. This story never should have made print. I’m not arguing that at all. But I’m not absolving this guy. What did you tweet about him? ‘He’s a hero!’ or whatever you said..”
    MINIHANE: “He should be honored!”
    TOMASE: (laughs) “He should be honored. He should be honored. I’m not…”
    MINIHANE: “He should.”
    TOMASE: “I’m not going, well if he should be honored, we should at least know who he is.”
    MINIHANE: “We know his name. He’s ‘Nick from Boston’.”
    TOMASE: “Nick from Boston. I’d like to know a little bit more.”
    CALLAHAN: “Is it a fake name?”
    MINIHANE: “I don’t know. Is that a fake name, Chris?”
    CHRIS: “No, it’s his real name.”
    MINIHANE: “Is it?”
    CALLAHAN: “But so what? Who cares who he is?”
    TOMASE: “I’m just saying that if Ron Borges just lost his job because of this, and we’re celebrating him…”
    MINIHANE: “Did you want like Melrose Larry Green’s real name when he prank phone called CNN in the middle of crisises and stuff?”
    CALLAHAN: “And if we got the guy’s real name, the guy’s real name who gave you bad information, how does that change anything?”
    TOMASE: “That’s a totally separate thing. I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about this guy with Borges.”

Minihane changes the topic.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

So lazy, agenda-riddled Borges getting skunked and exposed by a prankster, is totally different than lazy, agenda-riddled Tomase getting skunked and exposed by a source who was maybe wrong by accident?

Not seeing the real difference in journalistic culpability there, chubby.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Get over yourself …

Should have been:  Get another career, Tomase!

Feejis
    Participant

“There’s never gonna be anyone’s name”

There it is. He made it all up.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar