Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 02/12/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 55 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Kevin 1 year ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Lebron
    Participant

My guess is Tomase is trying to parse it by saying the guy didn’t tell him that the cameras were recording, that was his own “devastating leap of logic” whereas this guy told Borges that Brady was going to make those demands.

God I hate Tomase.  The use of the word logic really ticks me off.  Well any normal person would have logically concluded no you fat fuck any person with a natural level of curiosity would have dove a hell of a lot deeper.  Infuriating.

andrew
    Participant

Borges probably won’t get fired from the Herald, but I hope this incident gets him kicked off from the Hall of Fame voter board. Brady and Belichick don’t need any speech from Borges for induction, but other Patriot players will, and Borges is too lazy and spiteful to make their case. The only problem is that there are worse alternatives than Borges.

There’s something missing from the Borges story. There’s nothing in either the Nick from Boston text screenshots or in his recounting of his phone call with Borges wherein “Don Yee” tells Borges to keep his name out of it. He has to have said it or written it to Borges somewhere, else Borges would have used Yee’s name. It’s a much, much stronger story with Yee’s name, so that request had to have happened earlier.

We do know it was a long con, establishing this text relationship. At any rate, I wonder if more of those screenshots will be released by Borges, in order to make himself appear more sympathetic as the victim of the con.

Coma
    Participant

So lazy, agenda-riddled Borges getting skunked and exposed by a prankster, is totally different than lazy, agenda-riddled Tomase getting skunked and exposed by a source who was maybe wrong by accident? Not seeing the real difference in journalistic culpability there, chubby.

This is my favorite part of the segment (Thanks, BBTL for transcribing):

MINIHANE: “OK, Then why don’t you say the name of the sourcing when you were wrong?”
    (pause)
    TOMASE: “That’s different.”

The frustrating thing from reading that is Minihane and, to a lesser extent, Callahan have Tomase on the ropes. He’s flip-flopping from saying Borges is at fault to saying he’s not at fault and from demanding that the identity of Borges’ source be revealed while his source can remain anonymous. All it would have taken was asking “Why do you want the name of the guy who pranked Borges to be revealed while your fake walkthrough source must be protected?” for Tomase to have a conniption.

If Borges wrote his story and Nick from Boston didn’t say anything for a week or a year, everyone in the media would have defended Ron’s work. He says he had sources! You can’t question his journalistic integrity! In the meantime, the prankster would be laughing by himself or with a couple of close friends. Did it ever occur to Tomase that maybe his source was pranking him in 2008? Maybe Tomase’s source just heard a rumor or maybe, as Feejis said, he never existed.

One other thing that Kevin pointed on twitter is that Borges wrote that “Brady is hopeful that this will not become a public battle.” There’s nothing in the texts that says that, so that’s a theory that Borges is throwing out that as fact. It’s ironic that Borges must have wondered how Brady would want to handle the contract situation and decided, based on what he knows, that Brady would want to handle it privately. It never occurred to him that his agent reaching out to the media and publicly making contract demands doesn’t mesh with how his imagines Brady would behave.

It’s screwed up that Tomase’s operating on the theory that Nick in Boston must be identified because he may have damaged Borges career. Meanwhile, his career suffered no real damage for doing the same thing, so it’s okay for his source to be protected.

Participant

I look forward to this prick being popped for roids/ped’s/a live boy or a dead girl..

#REFRESHINGNESS

“I just think that ‘The Patriot Way’ is a fear-based organization,” Johnson said, via NESN. “Obviously, do they win? Hell yes, they win. They’ve won for a long time. Do I think people enjoy and can say, ‘I had a lot of fun playing there’? No, I don’t. That’s just the God’s honest truth.

“They’re successful, but when they go to interviews, they act like [expletive] robots. Hey, stop being a [expletive] head. We can be cordial for a little bit. You only get to do this job one time, so let’s have fun while we’re doing it. Not to be reckless, but I’d much rather have fun and win a Super Bowl than be miserable and win five Super Bowls. But hey, it is what it is.”

Right after the Herald apology and Tomase’s “explanation” in May 2008, Dan Pompei wrote this:

The Herald meanwhile, bit on a story that more responsible media outlets did not. The Herald was not the only outlet that had the information it printed Feb. 2, the day before the Super Bowl, but they were the only outlet that deemed the story solid enough to print.

Neil Best of Newsday said he heard the rumors too:

I have a pretty good idea of who the dude’s source was, and it was understandable for him to believe what he or she said.

I think Curran’s said something similar, that they all heard the rumors, but didn’t act on them because there was nothing beyond the rumors. All it took, then, was somebody willing to eschew ethics and run with the smoke.

I’ve wondered for a long time if we could – while not tracing the rumors back to the actual event – at least trace them back to whomever was spreading the rumors, by talking to all the reporters who were hearing the rumors and see if they heard them in the same circles.

The logical conclusion is that Walsh – disgruntled, vindictive and a pathological liar – was always the source of the rumors, and was willing to embellish his “present at the walk-through” story to “filmed the walk-through” if it made the Patriots look worse. Mike Fish and Greg Bishop both pursued Walsh in Hawaii, where he hinted at shit but never really gave any goods without legal protection (which both ESPN and the Times refused to give him), and the Herald didn’t come clean until Walsh finally spoke to Goodell. Walsh had to have been the initial rumor-spreader.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Walsh had to have been the initial rumor-spreader.

And like I’ve said many times, all it takes is a few other people to regurgitate to media people the rumor that Walsh started, and all of the sudden the story looks better sourced than it really is, because people other than Walsh are talking about it. Which doesn’t change the fact that the false story still originated with one bullshitter.

Feejis
    Participant

I suspect his argument would be that Nick intentionally outed himself so he should go all the way.

Its a very stupid argument.

Claude45
    Participant

I suspect his argument would be that Nick intentionally outed himself so he should go all the way. Its a very stupid argument.

It really is dumb. Nick gives his full identity and then what? He lives in fear of Borges and the local media? They try to taint his reputation?

Hey Tomase, the guy was not a legitimate source. He lied to Borges. What changes if we know who the guy is?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Hundreds (or more) anonymous people lie to the media every day. It’s on the media to figure out who’s lying and not to print the shit they say.

Why is that so hard for Tomase and Buckley and all the Borges Binkies to understand?

Tomase on K&C today was sort of revelation to me. Not that I ever thought Tomase was bright or anything, but I always did think his story (in addition to wanting the scoop badly) was driven in part by personal bias against Belichick. His first story after the Walsh meeting (pulled quickly then edited) was how Walsh did in fact spy on the Rams during that walkthrough. And he admitted on Minihane’s podcast that even as he was writing his “apology” column, he still was convinced he’d be vindicated in the end.

All this time, I thought it was some Pats hatred blinding him to the serious journalistic mistakes he was making, but it wasn’t. Today revealed that he is just really, really stupid.

Lebron
    Participant

This Borges bit made me think of those guys that crank called Buddy Nix (brick phone jpg) and the Bucs GM, I think it was Mark Dominik.  They just picked up the phone and called some general number, asked to be put through.  Granted they then ended up taping a conversation between Nix and Dominik but it all started because no one vetted who they were or asked any kind of questions.  You’d think either Nix or Dominik would have said “I didn’t call you” at some point, but they never did, because apparently neither of them asked the other.  You can’t teach that kind of dumb.

Lebron
    Participant

I look forward to this prick being popped for roids/ped’s/a live boy or a dead girl.. #REFRESHINGNESS “I just think that ‘The Patriot Way’ is a fear-based organization,” Johnson said, via NESN. “Obviously, do they win? Hell yes, they win. They’ve won for a long time. Do I think people enjoy and can say, ‘I had a lot of fun playing there’? No, I don’t. That’s just the God’s honest truth.

“They’re successful, but when they go to interviews, they act like [expletive] robots. Hey, stop being a [expletive] head. We can be cordial for a little bit. You only get to do this job one time, so let’s have fun while we’re doing it. Not to be reckless, but I’d much rather have fun and win a Super Bowl than be miserable and win five Super Bowls. But hey, it is what it is.”

They won so he can say whatever and it will get picked up but the guy is wholly unoriginal

@Lanejohnson65
    60m60 minutes ago

No one likes us, we don’t care. 🏆 #Philly

No one likes you except the 90% of the country that wanted you to win.  Also, you’re ripping off a Patriots motivational bit, the organization that you’re mocking.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I don’t see the Eagles as a team that will handle success well.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

They’ll have all kinds of “fun” though, and that’s what matters.

Fatty, citing a Football Zebras guy:

In this case, Jeffrey apparently got the thumbs up from veteran line judge Byron Boston, the margin of noncompliance was less than a yard, the reference point (the snapper’s belt) is about 20 yards away from Jeffrey, and he was matched up by a Patriots defender. This all adds up that there was no deceptive practice and no advantage leveraged by the offense, therefore the best call is to hold the flag.”

Mike Pereira:

“We always use a yard [within the line of scrimmage], maybe a yard-and-a-half. But that’s two [yards], and even a little bit beyond two. It’s kind of one of those that has no effect on the play. I get it. But they didn’t line up properly. And it really should’ve been called.”

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Lets see them handle playing a first-place schedule. :dry:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Lebron
    Participant

Deceptive?  Jesus Christ fucking Brother John and his whining about ‘deception!’ now  it’s a bad word.  Deceptive’s got nuthin’ to do with it.

Football blows.  Well, it was determined there was no ‘real’ advantage and well he was ‘close enough.’  Fucking garbage.  I almost want Bill and Tom to stop now so I can just quit watching this shit.  It’s got zero standards and caters to brain dead fucks who want catches.

Coma
    Participant

I suspect his argument would be that Nick intentionally outed himself so he should go all the way. Its a very stupid argument.

It really is dumb. Nick gives his full identity and then what? He lives in fear of Borges and the local media? They try to taint his reputation? Hey Tomase, the guy was not a legitimate source. He lied to Borges. What changes if we know who the guy is?

The media gets to make an example out of Nick. He didn’t break any laws, but he could face some backlash in his personal/professional life if this gets enough negative feedback. It will become a cautionary tale for the next person who decides to pull a prank on the media – Sure, I might be able to embarrass Dan Shaugnessy with this fake story, but I’d have my identity out there for everyone to see.

On the other hand, outing Nick might backfire and he might be able to use that notoriety to get a better job and get free donuts for a month from Dunkin Donuts.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Tomase on K&C today was sort of revelation to me. Not that I ever thought Tomase was bright or anything, but I always did think his story (in addition to wanting the scoop badly) was driven in part by personal bias against Belichick. His first story after the Walsh meeting (pulled quickly then edited) was how Walsh did in fact spy on the Rams during that walkthrough. And he admitted on Minihane’s podcast that even as he was writing his “apology” column, he still was convinced he’d be vindicated in the end. All this time, I thought it was some Pats hatred blinding him to the serious journalistic mistakes he was making, but it wasn’t. Today revealed that he is just really, really stupid.

Tomase wasn’t stupid he wanted to make a name for himself. Instead of checking his sources better he printed the story and got burned.

Coma
    Participant

Since Borges likes his WWII analogies, Tomase, Merloni and company would have been demanding that the identity of “Joe in Oahu” be revealed for feeding the false story to the Japanese about Midway’s faulty fresh water condenser.

He embarrassed Yamamoto! He did! The man has a family and is Ivy league educated! He deserves better!

Yahtzee
    Participant

Beat BU!

jforb
    Participant

Comcast pulls ads from EEI. Who gets canned to bring them back?

Yahtzee
    Participant

Has Julie Kahn tweeted #metoo?

Yahtzee
    Participant

Good for Northeastern.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar