Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 02/13/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 40 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Feejis 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Nick B
    Participant

Got nothing

InThisTown
    Participant

Callahan asked Dumbo Hart after Russell and Sam Jones to name the “other boys” on the first all black starting five. Jesus.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Enjoyed the Beanpot last night. The Garden seemed to be rocking, especially with NU students there in force. The Baseball Paper, however, says that the tournament is struggling, attendance-wise. And I’m sure it was a bit of a ghost-town during the consolation game. Is this a trend that started in 1995 when the building opened? Was the old barn just more fun for students and alumni to party in? Is it because of the BU/BC dominance of the past two decades (except for the last two tournaments, of course)? The rise of the Hockey East tournament since the 1980s?

So many questions …  :blink:   :lol:

Kevin
    Participant

Callahan asked Dumbo Hart after Russell and Sam Jones to name the “other boys” on the first all black starting five. Jesus.

Say it’s Pierce, Russell, KG, DJ, and Kyrie vs. Bird, Mchale, Cowens, Cousy, And Ainge.

Who does Gerry Callahan have?

Participant

Daily News going paywall – vaya con dios to noted turd Gary Myers.

Participant

Tony Mazz or Sam Kennedy?  Which one is the bigger brown nose?

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox/2018/02/linda_pizzuti_henry_now_has_ownership_stake_in_red_sox\\

“It’s an important moment for the Red Sox,” team CEO and president Sam Kennedy said yesterday. “It’s a great thing, one, for the Red Sox to have a woman owner, and two, she has become an absolute force in the city of Boston. She’s passionate about the city of Boston, she’s passionate about connecting with the next generation in terms of technology and content, and she’s a force. Many of our senior level women executives have worked with her, she’s gathered women executives from different industries to speak about leadership and technology. It’s a very important moment for the Red Sox.”

Is it important Sam or is it VERY important?

Lebron
    Participant

Jean Yawkey was in the clubhouse ready to accept the trophy in ’86, not like they haven’t had a woman around.

Nick B
    Participant

Jean Yawkey was in the clubhouse ready to accept the trophy in ’86, not like they haven’t had a woman around.

just as those who think the Pats history only exists starting from the Parcels era. Some think the Sox history only goes  back to the start of this ownership group.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Tony Mazz or Sam Kennedy? Which one is the bigger brown nose? http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox/2018/02/linda_pizzuti_henry_now_has_ownership_stake_in_red_sox\\ “It’s an important moment for the Red Sox,” team CEO and president Sam Kennedy said yesterday. “It’s a great thing, one, for the Red Sox to have a woman owner, and two, she has become an absolute force in the city of Boston. She’s passionate about the city of Boston, she’s passionate about connecting with the next generation in terms of technology and content, and she’s a force. Many of our senior level women executives have worked with her, she’s gathered women executives from different industries to speak about leadership and technology. It’s a very important moment for the Red Sox.” Is it important Sam or is it VERY important?

So she is Marge Schott with a filter and looks.

Suzy
    Participant

Tony Mazz or Sam Kennedy? Which one is the bigger brown nose? http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox/2018/02/linda_pizzuti_henry_now_has_ownership_stake_in_red_sox\\ “It’s an important moment for the Red Sox,” team CEO and president Sam Kennedy said yesterday. “It’s a great thing, one, for the Red Sox to have a woman owner, and two, she has become an absolute force in the city of Boston. She’s passionate about the city of Boston, she’s passionate about connecting with the next generation in terms of technology and content, and she’s a force. Many of our senior level women executives have worked with her, she’s gathered women executives from different industries to speak about leadership and technology. It’s a very important moment for the Red Sox.” Is it important Sam or is it VERY important?

A “woman” owner.  Would they refer to a “man” owner?  Just sounds so awkward. Maybe female/male would be better, but who knows what offends people these days.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

A “woman” owner. Would they refer to a “man” owner? Just sounds so awkward. Maybe female/male would be better, but who knows what offends people these days.

“Head Bitch In Charge”?  Probably going too far.

I’m sure Marty Walsh would have a prepared statement.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

A “woman” owner. Would they refer to a “man” owner? Just sounds so awkward. Maybe female/male would be better, but who knows what offends people these days.

I wonder about that, too. Apparently something is wrong with the adjective ‘female’ so ‘woman’ gets used. Link Another

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Participant

The New York Giants are hiring Mike Shula as their offensive coordinator, a source confirmed to ESPN.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

How about “She-Owner”?

TwoTimes
    Participant

I wonder about that, too. Apparently something is wrong with the adjective ‘female’ so ‘woman’ gets used. Link Another

These broads need to get together and figure out what they want us to call them.

Lebron
    Participant

Was reading something on Marvin Gaye singing the anthem at the ’83 NBA All Star Game and they had photos of the respective teams.  I would have lost my house betting against Bill Laimbeer being an All Star in 1983.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

I read somewhere that The Athletic is planning on covering all teams in MLB this year. I don’t think this town is big enough for two subscription sports sites.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Sam’s gonna get dinged by the Powders for not using the word visionary in that quote.

I assume Linda is also responsible for such brilliant decisions as (1) hiring the people, and approving the plan for, the change in distributors/delivery agencies two years ago, resulting in a massive delivery problem and a significant and permanent decline in readership; (2) moving the printing plant to Taunton on the far southern tier of the metro area, meaning that the northern suburbs, and sometimes the city and the western suburbs, get early editions of the newspaper that don’t carry game stories when the teams are in the Midwest, Rockies or West Coast; (3) while continuing to raise subscriptions prices, throwing money at CHB (aka “The Brand”), the worthless, talentless, hacko-di-tutti-hacki, rather than hire better news reporters who would make their online site a more worthwhile read.

Naw … let’s talk about Hub Week!

Humphrey
    Participant

Sam’s gonna get dinged by the Powders for not using the word visionary in that quote. I assume Linda is also responsible for such brilliant decisions as (1) hiring the people, and approving the plan for, the change in distributors/delivery agencies two years ago, resulting in a massive delivery problem and a significant and permanent decline in readership; (2) moving the printing plant to Taunton on the far southern tier of the metro area, meaning that the northern suburbs, and sometimes the city and the western suburbs, get early editions of the newspaper that don’t carry game stories when the teams are in the Midwest, Rockies or West Coast; (3) while continuing to raise subscriptions prices, throwing money at CHB (aka “The Brand”), the worthless, talentless, hacko-di-tutti-hacki, rather than hire better news reporters who would make their online site a more worthwhile read. Naw … let’s talk about Hub Week!

hacko-di-tutti-hacki :lol:

Chief
    Participant

Enjoyed the Beanpot last night. The Garden seemed to be rocking, especially with NU students there in force. The Baseball Paper, however, says that the tournament is struggling, attendance-wise. And I’m sure it was a bit of a ghost-town during the consolation game. Is this a trend that started in 1995 when the building opened? Was the old barn just more fun for students and alumni to party in? Is it because of the BU/BC dominance of the past two decades (except for the last two tournaments, of course)? The rise of the Hockey East tournament since the 1980s? So many questions … :blink: 😆

I haven’t been to a Beanpot since 95, but my recollection is that the consolation game was always a ghost town.

The Beanpot may be the thing I miss most about not being in Boston anymore.

Lefty

Wasn’t this the same ownership group that was making fun of Les Otten for being a “2%er” with such a small ownership stake.

Of course, Linda’s undisclosed small stake is extremely relevant and critical to the team.    :rollseyes:

Humphrey
    Participant

Enjoyed the Beanpot last night. The Garden seemed to be rocking, especially with NU students there in force. The Baseball Paper, however, says that the tournament is struggling, attendance-wise. And I’m sure it was a bit of a ghost-town during the consolation game. Is this a trend that started in 1995 when the building opened? Was the old barn just more fun for students and alumni to party in? Is it because of the BU/BC dominance of the past two decades (except for the last two tournaments, of course)? The rise of the Hockey East tournament since the 1980s? So many questions … :blink: 😆

I haven’t been to a Beanpot since 95, but my recollection is that the consolation game was always a ghost town. The Beanpot may be the thing I miss most about not being in Boston anymore.

…and because of the NESN telecast of the finals they start it considerably earlier than they used to, knocking down the crowd even more.

Suzy
    Participant

I haven’t been to a Beanpot since 95, but my recollection is that the consolation game was always a ghost town. The Beanpot may be the thing I miss most about not being in Boston anymore.

…and because of the NESN telecast of the finals they start it considerably earlier than they used to, knocking down the crowd even more.

knocking down the crowd

Fatty?  :ohmy:     :pk:   :wag:

Yahtzee
    Participant

Enjoyed the Beanpot last night. The Garden seemed to be rocking, especially with NU students there in force. The Baseball Paper, however, says that the tournament is struggling, attendance-wise. And I’m sure it was a bit of a ghost-town during the consolation game. Is this a trend that started in 1995 when the building opened? Was the old barn just more fun for students and alumni to party in? Is it because of the BU/BC dominance of the past two decades (except for the last two tournaments, of course)? The rise of the Hockey East tournament since the 1980s?

So many questions … :blink: 😆

I don’t really know because I didn’t grow up around here. But, I think it could be a byproduct of BU, BC and Northeastern working to become much more national schools. And also changes in the corporate makeup around town. The idea that everyone working downtown grew up around here and went to one of those 4 schools seems like part of the past. That sense of community that included the Beanpot is less prevalent. Just a thought.

Kingasaurus
    Participant
    These broads need to get together and figure out what they want us to call them.

I’m lobbying for “toots.”

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar