Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 05/18-05/24/2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Yahtzee
    Participant

Speaking of NASCAR, I was surprised to hear EEI running a race live yesterday.

Many years ago, I used to listen to NASCAR broadcasts with Eli Gold (I think he also did Alabama football). Surprisingly entertaining.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Watched NASCAR’s first race back yesterday with the kid. Was weird with no fans but less weird than the soccer since you can’t hear the fans over the engine noise anyway. No races were cancelled, all postponed, so the schedule is condensed now with two a week and doubleheaders so we’ll see how it goes. Was entertaining and good to watch something live again.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I was more entertained watching the 4 golfers play skins yesterday while miked up than 95% of most tournaments that I would normally watch. I think I’d rather watch golf without fans anyway but watching guys like Dustin Johnson do the same stupid things I do on the course (trying to hit it over a 400 yard dogleg, etc) was sort of fun.

Yahtzee
    Participant

And I have no idea why I dated this thread February. Any way to delete the thread or edit the title?

chicowalker
    Participant

Is there a “new coach’s gung-ho philosophy” spiel that Fatty hasn’t fallen for yet? Jesus, you’d think someone who has been around the NFL for 40+ years and has seen a lot of failure might have something of a cynical eye.  But nope- someone who chooses to be great is bound for glory, no questions asked.  That his last name is Rhule and can be used in the painfully obvious and un-clever manner you’d expect in the column, AND he returns your calls? Fatty full staffed

4 users thanked author for this post.
    stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Speaking of NASCAR, I was surprised to hear EEI running a race live yesterday.

Many years ago, I used to listen to NASCAR broadcasts with Eli Gold (I think he also did Alabama football). Surprisingly entertaining.

NASCAR on radio is definitely entertaining. The way they hand off play-by-play through each turn keeps the excitement level up. And then when there’s a wreck, whoever is closest interrupts the others by yelling TROUBLE!

jforb
    Participant

Someone want to explain why Darlington is considered a big thing for Nascar? I drove by the track a few years ago and you could almost pass it off as a high school football stadium.

Lebron
    Participant

Watched some of the Bundesliga return over the weekend.  I was totally fine with the no fans in the stands.  It was interesting somewhat in hearing the actual sounds of the game.

I really don’t understand all the ‘I’m so desperate I’m watching Bundesliga’ tweets.  What the fuck, find something to do that you enjoy. Or maybe take care of some shit that needs to be done.  I didn’t have my carcass planted on the couch watching, I was doing a faucet replacement in the kitchen and had it on in the background, which is somewhat of my normal routine during soccer season anyhow albeit I tend to watch Premier League.  But I wouldn’t otherwise watch it or have it on or be of the mindset it’s either German soccer or nothing.  Go for a walk.  Paint a room.  Plant a fucking shrub.  Get a god damn life.  This ‘oh my god I need sports just to offer me a glimmer of hope’ is fucking pathetic.  People are so dependent on other things for their existence.  I like sports too.  A lot.  But get past the point of telling me that baseball in May is a drop everything must see event.  It’s not. Hell in fact I’ve gotten a ton of shit done that I otherwise wouldn’t have before this thing.  I would have been tied up with soccer games all last weekend, and facing a tournament for both boys this weekend that would have been 6-8 games.  Instead I swapped out a kitchen faucet, 3 ceiling fans, removed a small tree and 3 dead/dying shrubs, replaced said tree and shrubs, practically strangled my kid over missing assignments at school, and got on my bike to climb Lookout Mountain in Golden twice.  My wife painted all of the baseboards and one kid’s room.  That shit would never get done otherwise.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Someone want to explain why Darlington is considered a big thing for Nascar? I drove by the track a few years ago and you could almost pass it off as a high school football stadium.

Historic track, home of the Southern 500 which in the old days was as big or bigger than the Daytona 500. I think when you drive by, that’s the old grandstand which is now on the backstretch. They moved the finish line to the opposite side and built a whole new facility over there.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Watched some of the Bundesliga return over the weekend. I was totally fine with the no fans in the stands. It was interesting somewhat in hearing the actual sounds of the game.

I really don’t understand all the ‘I’m so desperate I’m watching Bundesliga’ tweets. What the fuck, find something to do that you enjoy. Or maybe take care of some shit that needs to be done. I didn’t have my carcass planted on the couch watching, I was doing a faucet replacement in the kitchen and had it on in the background, which is somewhat of my normal routine during soccer season anyhow albeit I tend to watch Premier League. But I wouldn’t otherwise watch it or have it on or be of the mindset it’s either German soccer or nothing. Go for a walk. Paint a room. Plant a fucking shrub. Get a god damn life. This ‘oh my god I need sports just to offer me a glimmer of hope’ is fucking pathetic. People are so dependent on other things for their existence. I like sports too. A lot. But get past the point of telling me that baseball in May is a drop everything must see event. It’s not. Hell in fact I’ve gotten a ton of shit done that I otherwise wouldn’t have before this thing. I would have been tied up with soccer games all last weekend, and facing a tournament for both boys this weekend that would have been 6-8 games. Instead I swapped out a kitchen faucet, 3 ceiling fans, removed a small tree and 3 dead/dying shrubs, replaced said tree and shrubs, practically strangled my kid over missing assignments at school, and got on my bike to climb Lookout Mountain in Golden twice. My wife painted all of the baseboards and one kid’s room. That shit would never get done otherwise.

The sound of a ball getting hit hard on a long range shot sounded like a gunshot.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

And I have no idea why I dated this thread February. Any way to delete the thread or edit the title?

Longing for the days before quarantine?

jforb
    Participant

I’ve only watched the handful of Bundesliga games when Fox would occasionally show one, but at least at the top it’s as good as any league, so why would you be desperate to have to watch?

Coma
    Participant

Is there a “new coach’s gung-ho philosophy” spiel that Fatty hasn’t fallen for yet? Jesus, you’d think someone who has been around the NFL for 40+ years and has seen a lot of failure might have something of a cynical eye. But nope- someone who chooses to be great is bound for glory, no questions asked. That his last name is Rhule and can be used in the painfully obvious and un-clever manner you’d expect in the column, AND he returns your calls? Fatty full staffed

PK’s phrasing here is typically awkward:

Last month, Matt Rhule gave the speech he’d been preparing, one way or another, since he knew he wanted to be a football coach back in sixth grade

When I read that, I thought of Alex Reimer and how he dreamed of being the guy on sports talk radio, not the players they were talking about. If you’re twelve, at least you could hold out hope that your might hit a growth spurt in high school and not resign yourself to being a coach. It turns out that Rhule played HS football and then walked on as a linebacker at Penn State for 4 years. Also, Rhule has been the head coach of 2 different college football programs. King makes it sounds like this was his first “Address the team, let them know who I am and what I expect our team to be” speech.

King didn’t mention this, but another tidbit that I found interesting was that Rhule’s playing and coaching career was almost entirely on the defensive side of the game. From 1998 to 2006, he was either a linebacker or defensive line coach, with some special teams work and a season as running game coordinator at Western Carolina. In 2007, he switches from defensive line coach to QB coach at Temple. The next year, he’s Temple’s offensive coordinator. I bring this up because I remember O’Leary thought it was extremely suspicious for McDaniels to switch from a defensive assistant with the Patriots to QB coach and then OC. I tend to think this happens with coaches more than people realize, particularly early in their careers.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lefty

I am rusty as hell, but I think I fixed it.   Moved a couple of preemie posts from last weeks thread to this one, too.   (with a stop over in a thread from 2018, but we don’t need to get into that right now.)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

On Bundesliga no doubt, Bayern is always a top squad and I’ve always been impressed with how Dortmund reloads post transfer.  They take the transfer fees and bring a guy or two up and they don’t miss much of a beat.

Lebron
    Participant

I call complete and utter bullshit on anyone either claiming to or being characterized as wanting to be a coach in 6th grade.  In 6th grade you dream of being a professional athlete and actually playing the game.  I had zero hope of making the NBA when I was 12 but damn if I didn’t shoot baskets in my driveway or work on moves and think shit if I guy named Tiny can be in the NBA maybe I can too.  The dream of playing doesn’t die at that age.

Lebron
    Participant

Miz no doubt there were a couple of crossbar hits that sounded like grenades, even one that went in hit the low bar on the ground and it sounded like a miss initially, assumed he clanked it.

Lebron
    Participant

The list of coaches that change sides of the ball is too long to put together.  Or coaching on a different side of the ball than they played on.  Vance Joseph is a defensive coordinator, played fucking quarterback in college.

chicowalker
    Participant

I call complete and utter bullshit on anyone either claiming to or being characterized as wanting to be a coach in 6th grade. In 6th grade you dream of being a professional athlete and actually playing the game. I had zero hope of making the NBA when I was 12 but damn if I didn’t shoot baskets in my driveway or work on moves and think shit if I guy named Tiny can be in the NBA maybe I can too. The dream of playing doesn’t die at that age.

:lol: I did acknowledge at 13 that I’d make a better baseball manager than player (at the time, I had an exhaustive knowledge of the rules but couldn’t catch up to a 70mph fastball) The result, though, was just ditching baseball to focus on basketball

NASCL
    Participant

Did you hear about Eddie Haskell?

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

Of course they were, they are the Sainted Rooney’s after all Peter, and if I’m an owner I’m expected to run my business on what keeps Troy Vincent happy?

Art Rooney of the Steelers, a strong believer in diversity as his father was, and Troy Vincent want to see this pass. I’m not sure of Goodell’s ardor for it; usually when it comes to owner votes, what Goodell wants, Goodell gets.”

Fair’s got nothing to do with it Pete – it’s a fact.  And good for Payton that he’s still pissed.

“Fair or unfair, there’s a perception the NFL and the Steelers are very close. The late Dan Rooney advocated hard for Goodell to win the commissioner race in 2006, and when he did, it was Rooney who delivered the good news in person at a Chicago hotel. (I’ve never bought the favoritism claim. After Goodell issued a heavy fine to Steelers receiver Hines Ward for what the league deemed an egregious hit, Rooney complained bitterly. “Dan,” Goodell told him, “the problem is, you never think your players do anything wrong.”) But perceptions are perceptions.

8. I think the Saints are watching this very closely. If the NFL doesn’t at least investigate and speak to Harrison and Tomlin, it will buttress the Saints’ belief that they were creamed for Bountygate two years later, while a franchise they believe is tight with Goodell, the Steelers, is treated differently. In a radio interview last week, Saints coach Sean Payton said of the Harrison claim: “That’ll be something that’s tucked away or under the rug at Park Avenue. [NFL offices are located on Park Avenue in New York.] They’ll look into it briefly.”

As opposed to other times when no one dies Peter?

“So many people dying these days.” :ohmy:  

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I’m still shaking my head over the loss of Fred “Hey! Wha’ Happened?” Willard. Had forgotten that he had been busted for lewd and lascivious behavior in a movie theatre about 8-10 years ago. What is it with these improv comedians like him and Paul Reubens when they visit an Adult XXX Movie Palace?

Hacksaw
    Participant

In regards to being able to hear the action on the field…

Question for the board during the 1986 ALCS against the Angels who was the player that said “What the fock” in the middle in middle of game an microphone picked it up clearly?

I just remember there was a rules question during the game and couple players were talking to the umpires.

Lebron
    Participant

Bobby Grich?  I remember there was something Grich was pissed about, slammed his helmet if I recall.  And I can’t believe I’m remembering this.

Participant

Tennisball head vs. Watermelon head’s who you got?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar