Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 05/18-05/24/2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Hacksaw
    Participant

Bobby Grich? I remember there was something Grich was pissed about, slammed his helmet if I recall. And I can’t believe I’m remembering this.

Thanks, I do recall Grich being around that play.

These items are what make this board great.

Participant

“The stats aren’t really going to tell the greatness of Josh Allen.” Boy is Phil Simms kid dumb. 

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

This is the play I was thinking of

With Grich on second and Schofield on first and one out, Boone grounded a hard single into left. Jim Rice charged the ball. Grich rounded third and glanced at third-base coach Moose Stubing, who did not give a sign one way or the other. Grich instinctively put on the brakes and tried to scamper back to the base. Boggs leapt to cut off Rice’s throw to the plate and tossed the ball quickly to Owen, who tagged out Grich. Grich was furious. He slammed his helmet to the ground and threw his arms up in the air. Grich continued yelling in the dugout as Hurst fanned Pettis for the third out. The misplay erased any momentum the Angels might have had. They would not threaten at all in the final three innings.

Grich: “I’m running as hard as I can and everything in my mind is to score a run. Now I’ve got to rely on my third-base coach. I didn’t see his hands in the air, I took my three or four strides beyond third and then I realize he’s telling me to hold up. So I tried to stop, lost my footing and I could not get back.”7

Stubing took full responsibility for the play, admitting he “waited too long to commit.”8  Stubing said he did not see Boggs in position to cut off Rice’s throw. “I thought the throw was going all the way to home.”9 Stubing said he was yelling at Grich, but was late in putting up his arms to stop the runner.

Grich: “That’s not the first time I’ve thrown my helmet. It was not a class act, it was just an emotional act, and I wasn’t thinking. … I just snapped. … I didn’t mean to show [Stubing] up, that’s not professionalism. The first thing I said to him was, ‘Moose, I’m sorry I showed you up, my man, but Moose, I’ve got to see some hands on that play.’ “10

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

This blows my mind if true

Wally Joyner homered to right-center with one down in the fifth, tying the game at 2-2. It was the first time a rookie had hit a home run in an ALCS.

1986 was the first time a rookie hit a home run in the ALCS?  That’s like what 17 years?

jforb
    Participant

Appears to be. Play index doesn’t seem to have a rookie option for playoff games but I sorted HR by date and then looked through every player and didn’t find any ahead of him. Only like 100 HR and lots of players with multiple or obviously not rookies so it wasn’t a huge search.

Lebron
    Participant

That Chris Simms quote reminds me of ‘while his record and ERA don’t show it, Matt Clement has electric stuff!’  Could also sub in Matt Young.

Hacksaw
    Participant

This blows my mind if true

Wally Joyner homered to right-center with one down in the fifth, tying the game at 2-2. It was the first time a rookie had hit a home run in an ALCS.

1986 was the first time a rookie hit a home run in the ALCS? That’s like what 17 years?

Replacing Rod Carew, Joyner had 22 homers and 100 rbi that season.

Lebron
    Participant

That Angels team had some serious retreads, like Doug DeCinces, George Hendrick, Bob Boone.  Burleson was DHing some of the games.  Even Grich is a retread from the Orioles I think.

MLBN replayed the NLCS game 5 from ’84 a week or so ago.  Padres had Garvey but the Cubs had Bowa, Ron Cey, Gary Matthews, and I feel like someone else.  Sutcliffe starting.  I also feel like the Padres had one more guy that was a retread.  Just remembered, Greg Nettles at 3rd

BrianInLA
    Participant

I was a Grich fan as a kid. In little league I played for the Orioles so naturally I had to find a middle infielder I could relate to. Put up pretty good numbers for a second baseman. Also was a really big Ron Cey fan and to this day not sure how that happened. I didn’t play 3rd base. Wasn’t a Dodger fan in any way. My only theory is that it had something to do with something he did while a Strat-O-Matic baseball player on my basement floor.

I still cant believe that Joyner stat.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

You guys are stirring some serious Old Bastard Baseball® memories in me. I’ll try to restrain myself. :lol:

But I will say that all this motivated me to watch the first few minutes of Game 1 of the 2004 World Series. It’s on YouTube from ESPN International (I guess) with a German lead-in. Ja wohl, Meine favorite Rotte-Sox mensch ist Wilhelm Mueller!

The game itself has Dave O’Brien (three years before he joined the Sox radio team) paired with the velvet-tonsiled Rick Sutcliffe, who always sounds as if he’s just come in from a day’s surfing at Newport Beach. :lol:

EDIT: Jesus, they really hit some rockets in the first inning off Woody Williams. Damon double, Cabrera HBP, Manny robbed of a triple by Larry Walker in the RF corner, Ortiz hits three-run bomb over the Pesky Pole, Millar just misses the Monster Seats with another two-bagger. I may fast-forward past Manny’s LF adventures, though.

EDIT 2: Ortiz’ first-inning bomb happens right after Sutcliffe spends a full minute of airtime (a lifetime, in other words) ball-washing the Cardinals’ defense; this is driven by Walker’s spectacular catch. And, to be fair, the Red Sox did kick the ball around in Games 1 and 2 (eight errors! As Old Joe Castig would no doubt say, “Can you believe it?”) But just as Sut notes that the Cardinal infield is primed to turn a nifty DP to keep the Sox off the board in the first, Ortiz clubs his 3-run home run. Very reminiscent of Game 7 of the ALCS. The Fox boys (and the morons in The Stadium) were all abuzz over Damon being thrown out at home by Jeter’s relay; then, on the next pitch, Ortiz puts them in the lead with his two-run bomb. Back to the WS, the Sox played errorless ball in St. Louis–and they dominated the Cards so thoroughly that a nifty DP here and a diving catch there didn’t matter at all. After my young self watched the Cardinals dance around Fenway in 1967, 2004 and 2013 were fantastic ways to get revenge.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

The irony was that everyone expected a load of errors at first with Ortiz in St. Louis.  And he made that great play to nab Suppan at 3rd.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Should Manny have been the MVP of that series? I recall thinking that ended up being sort of a default choice vs. a clear one.

Coma
    Participant

Of course they were, they are the Sainted Rooney’s after all Peter, and if I’m an owner I’m expected to run my business on what keeps Troy Vincent happy?

Art Rooney of the Steelers, a strong believer in diversity as his father was, and Troy Vincent want to see this pass. I’m not sure of Goodell’s ardor for it; usually when it comes to owner votes, what Goodell wants, Goodell gets.”

Fair’s got nothing to do with it Pete – it’s a fact. And good for Payton that he’s still pissed.

“Fair or unfair, there’s a perception the NFL and the Steelers are very close. The late Dan Rooney advocated hard for Goodell to win the commissioner race in 2006, and when he did, it was Rooney who delivered the good news in person at a Chicago hotel. (I’ve never bought the favoritism claim. After Goodell issued a heavy fine to Steelers receiver Hines Ward for what the league deemed an egregious hit, Rooney complained bitterly. “Dan,” Goodell told him, “the problem is, you never think your players do anything wrong.”) But perceptions are perceptions.

I tried to respond to this yesterday, but WordPress didn’t like my post. Anyway, I remember the story about Dan Rooney being the one to let Goodell know he would be the next commissioner. I never put it together that Rooney did that because he was such a strong supporter of Goodell. I guess that’s because I’ve been hearing that Mr. Kraft single-handedly put Goodell in power for all these years.

It’s also nice of Pete to dismiss the idea that the league office favors the Steelers, but says, wistfully, that “perceptions are perceptions.” No need to wonder why those perceptions exist or why he doesn’t think they’re valid.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Manny gets it for the home run in Game 3 probably, did he make a defensive play or gaffe in one of the other games?  That’s a tough series when you look at the stats.  You had 4 guys OPS over 1 – Bellhorn, Mueller, Manny, Ortiz.  Mueller hit .429 and OPS’d 1.127, I would say he could have been the MVP.  Manny had 7 hits, all singles except for the home run.  Manny had 4 RBI to Mueller’s 2.  It’s a close one for sure.

Coma
    Participant

Almost-A-Coach is approaching the same territory as Kramer’s friend who called Jerry a phony. His next tweet about Brady will be that he meant “checked out” in a complimentary way.

Lebron
    Participant

Pete’s so stupid, Goodell throws around fines like that solely so you can look at it and say ‘see he fined them that one time!’  I fully expect he called Rooney up beforehand and they played the script out.  Of course Pete overlooks stuff like Goodell with his wishy washy suspension of Rapist and the bizarre no explanation reduction in Leveon Bell’s standard 4 game suspension for his drug offense.  And no one ever asked why with the Giants that the suspension on the table for Josh Brown was 1 game.  1 game, I thought the standard issue was 6?  Zero investigative reporting.  Too busy creeping around bathrooms.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Hacksaw
    Participant

MLB Network has 2013 ALCS. Sox had Mike Carp on their roster…baseballs version of Chris Elliot.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

MLB Network has 2013 ALCS. Sox had Mike Carp on their roster…baseballs version of Chris Elliot.

Carp did strap a Go-Pro digital video camera to his hat in the ninth inning off Game 6.  If that footage is still on YouTube, it’s a hoot.  I can’t find it, though. :-(

Lebron
    Participant

I still laugh thinking about Bobby Kielty on the ’07 roster.  Hit a bomb against the Rockies in the clincher if memory serves.  Hell it turned out to be the game/series winner.

Humphrey
    Participant

Manny gets it for the home run in Game 3 probably, did he make a defensive play or gaffe in one of the other games? That’s a tough series when you look at the stats. You had 4 guys OPS over 1 – Bellhorn, Mueller, Manny, Ortiz. Mueller hit .429 and OPS’d 1.127, I would say he could have been the MVP. Manny had 7 hits, all singles except for the home run. Manny had 4 RBI to Mueller’s 2. It’s a close one for sure.

Game 1, there was a blooper or a sinking liner down the line that Manny tried a shoestring catch that failed badly; helped the Cardinals come from way back to tie the game (then the Sox won it).

On the other hand, I recall that was before they rebuilt the Fenway field (dug it all out and created a “bathtub” of sorts that keeps the water out) and Manny’s area was full of loose turf and divots. So it looked worse than it was.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I still laugh thinking about Bobby Kielty on the ’07 roster. Hit a bomb against the Rockies in the clincher if memory serves. Hell it turned out to be the game/series winner.

That was Kielty’s last at-bat in the majors, too, although he played a few more years in the minors.

Humphrey
    Participant

Always liked those factoids about obscure guys like Kielty. Jeff Stone in 1990 is another one. His last RBI in the majors was a game-winner in a big game vs the Jays

BrianInLA
    Participant

Vulture did an interview with Simmons. Calls him the “Steve Jobs of Audio”.  :wall: :wall:

https://www.vulture.com/article/bill-simmons-spotify-podcasts-ringer-interview.html

Lebron
    Participant

Simmons is everywhere lately.  Maybe he’s just an easy get.  Unfortunately as with many things it isn’t like Simmons is the first person who did podcasts, but he’s certainly one of the first to make a metric shit ton of money off of it.

Early on I was reluctantly on his site a bit for podcasts and ran through some stuff.  I was struggling deciding what music to listen to.  Haven’t been back there in a few weeks now.  Admittedly Led Zeppelin radio on Sirius kicked up that jag and now I’m listening to and reevaluating a bunch of their shows.  Much better way to spend time.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Its always good to know Quintin Berry is the 2013 version of Midre Cummings.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar