Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 05/18-05/24/2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Always liked those factoids about obscure guys like Kielty. Jeff Stone in 1990 is another one. His last RBI in the majors was a game-winner in a big game vs the Jays

Poor Stone. When he came up with the Phillies, a lot of stuff were written about how “country” he was.  One night, he supposedly said to a teammate, “Is that the same moon we have back home in Arkansas?” :lol:

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

“I still believe that Sam Darnold has this… magical sloppiness to his game that is very Big Ben (Roethlisberger), Tony Romo-esque that he can do things that you just cannot nor would not coach into a player.” Dan Orlovsky

So, he won’t win many playoff games but he’ll be a hell of analyst Dan?

Lebron
    Participant

I think it’s hysterical that FC Seoul used sex dolls to put in the stands for matches instead of mannequins.  Of course they get fined for it, but shit that’s funny.  It was only 20, and they were dressed!

BrianInLA
    Participant

Probably the only thing that South Korea has in common with Alabama…banning of sex toys. Even in 2017 we weren’t allowed to ship anything to Alabama because of the legal hassle. Its actually a good way to get some use out of the millions of sex dolls that were bought and used 1 or 2 times and then just stored away.

Coma
    Participant

Always liked those factoids about obscure guys like Kielty. Jeff Stone in 1990 is another one. His last RBI in the majors was a game-winner in a big game vs the Jays

Maybe not obscure players, but I saw a couple of guys who would go on to be much bigger names in different fields when watching a replay of the Washington-Miami football game from 1994. At one point, there was a shot of some Miami defensive linemen sitting on the bench. Sitting next to Kenny Holmes and Warren Sapp was Dwayne Johnson. Also, Washington scored a TD when an offensive lineman fell on a fumble in the endzone. That lineman was Bob “The Beast” Sapp, who would go on to greater notoriety in the MMA world.

On a personal note, I had jumped on the Colorado football bandwagon in 1989. The day of that Miami-Washington game, they were in Michigan for the game that ended with Michael Westbrook’s catching a 60+ yard TD. In CT, the Miami game was on and I remember griping that Colorado-Michigan was undefeated #7 vs. undefeated #4 and should have been on instead. Of course, Miami and Washington were both ranked and that game snapped Miami’s record home winning streak, so it wasn’t like they were showing a UConn football game instead.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

I think it’s hysterical that FC Seoul used sex dolls to put in the stands for matches instead of mannequins. Of course they get fined for it, but shit that’s funny. It was only 20, and they were dressed!

As mentioned in my previous post, I’ve been watching some college football games from the 90s. I think it was a Nebraska-Colorado game where the student section was batting around an inflatable sex doll and the camera stayed on that shot for at least 10 seconds. I guess all those wonderful people “back in the truck” fell asleep on that one.

Hacksaw
    Participant

I remember watching a Miami game on tv and there was a glimpse of Rocky Johnson on the sidelines. The way technology was back then you had no way to go back to see it. The whole time I am going why is he there and didn’t realize he had a son getting A B.S. in Laying the Smackdown.

Until 1996 I thought I was crazy thinking I saw Rocky Johnson at a Miami game.

Humphrey
    Participant

On a personal note, I had jumped on the Colorado football bandwagon in 1989. The day of that Miami-Washington game, they were in Michigan for the game that ended with Michael Westbrook’s catching a 60+ yard TD. In CT, the Miami game was on and I remember griping that Colorado-Michigan was undefeated #7 vs. undefeated #4 and should have been on instead. Of course, Miami and Washington were both ranked and that game snapped Miami’s record home winning streak, so it wasn’t like they were showing a UConn football game instead.

If you were around as a fan in the 60s and 70s, there were a lot of big games that didn’t get televised because the schools involved had reached their limit for the season. Spreading the tv money around screwed the fans for sure.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I had a sports weekend in Denver back in 1997 or 98 – Rockies Friday night, Colorado-Michigan Saturday, Rockies Sunday afternoon, Broncos Sunday night. Turned out to be too much.

CU game was very fun. The buffalo run was a trip.

Lebron
    Participant

I had just moved to Colorado the week of that Michigan game.  I hated CU, namely McCartney.  Thought he was an ass after that 5th down game against Mizzou and to this day I’ll swear Charles Johnson didn’t even get in.  Also I hated the clip call on the Rocket Ismail punt return in the Orange Bowl.  First of all you deserve to lose if in the closing minute plus of a game to decide a national championship you go ahead and punt it to Rocket fucking Ismail.  Second I don’t think that made a difference in the return.  Then compound it with all of his Promise Keepers bullshit and always hated him and the program.  Neuheisel was a pompous ass, Gary Barnett wasn’t much better.  At least Dan “go play intramurals brother” Hawkins was entertaining.  Poor bastard left Boise St. right as they took off, figured CU was a better job, and got run out on a rail.  Having your kid play QB probably not the best idea.  Ended up in Canada coaching in the CFL and got fired there too.

Rockies games are always pretty good, when it’s a nice night and you get the sunset over the mountains in left field, that’s a pretty unreal scene.  Broncos games are terrible.  Fans are the worst if you wear anything or audibly show you are not there to support the local football club.  In my early days here I saw people getting harassed at friggin’ preseason games for a guy in the group wearing a 49ers jersey.  Last game I went to was the regular season game in ’05.  Best game I went to was in ’00 when the Patriots were terrible and they came in and kicked their ass.  Was even better than the snap it through the end zone game in ’03.

Lebron
    Participant

Was that Miami-Washington game #1 v. #2 or was that another year?  Might have been ’92 with that Emtman team.  I definitely remember it was Keith Jackson on the call for CU Michigan so that had to have been the top game for that slot.  Speaking of ’94 I always loved that Penn St. went undefeated and didn’t get the title, if memory serves that’s the 3rd time it happened to Paterno.  Although I hated Osborne and Nebraska as well.

Participant

I’d forgotten that Ty Law was on that Michigan team

Coma
    Participant

Was that Miami-Washington game #1 v. #2 or was that another year? Might have been ’92 with that Emtman team. I definitely remember it was Keith Jackson on the call for CU Michigan so that had to have been the top game for that slot. Speaking of ’94 I always loved that Penn St. went undefeated and didn’t get the title, if memory serves that’s the 3rd time it happened to Paterno. Although I hated Osborne and Nebraska as well.

From what I could find, Miami was 2-0 and #6 while Washington was 1-1 and #17 heading into the 1994 matchup. The Huskies had lost their opener to USC. In watching the replay, Musberger mentions the dramatic win for Colorado as the Miami-Washington game wraps up. The way I remember hearing the result was that the network went back to the studio, the hosts were talking, they describe the final play of CU-Michigan as it took place. My memory could be wrong, but I’d rather believe it happened that way than just hearing Musberger mention it in passing.

Coma
    Participant

I had just moved to Colorado the week of that Michigan game. I hated CU, namely McCartney. Thought he was an ass after that 5th down game against Mizzou and to this day I’ll swear Charles Johnson didn’t even get in. Also I hated the clip call on the Rocket Ismail punt return in the Orange Bowl. First of all you deserve to lose if in the closing minute plus of a game to decide a national championship you go ahead and punt it to Rocket fucking Ismail. Second I don’t think that made a difference in the return. Then compound it with all of his Promise Keepers bullshit and always hated him and the program. Neuheisel was a pompous ass, Gary Barnett wasn’t much better. At least Dan “go play intramurals brother” Hawkins was entertaining. Poor bastard left Boise St. right as they took off, figured CU was a better job, and got run out on a rail. Having your kid play QB probably not the best idea. Ended up in Canada coaching in the CFL and got fired there too.

Like I said, I was on the CU bandwagon at that point, so I had plenty of rationalizations and excuses for the Missouri 5th down play. I watched it again on Youtube a few years ago and have come around to your way of thinking. Even if you overlook the officials bungling the downs and allowing the 5 down play, Johnson did not get in on the final play. There’s a clip out there of the postgame where the officials talk for 5 minutes, then bring the teams back out (causing the Missouri fans to think the TD will be overturned) only to announce that the TD is good and CU has to run the extra point.

Regarding Gary Barnett, I think he was also involved in burying some sexual assault case while at Colorado. I think a female kicker might have been the victim. The only redeeming thing about him might be that Mike Greenberg hates him because he left Northwestern to go to CU.

Lebron
    Participant

I liked some of the guys on CU for their names, Kanavis McGhee and Eric Bienemy for example.  And when it comes to college football I love option QBs so I enjoyed Darien Hagan.  It was exclusively McCartney that I couldn’t stand.  He was such a damn fraud.  He rationalized the Mizzou game gaffe by the officials as payback for them having to play on that field which I guess was in awful condition.  His players had a string of run ins with the law, Christian Fauria inclusive, and then his daughter gets knocked up by 2 different football players.  I was fine with CU the minute he resigned/retired.

Yes Barnett had a bunch of football players wilding and then the female kicker incident.  He actually had them producing decent results for a bit, they thumped Nebraska the year they went to the BCS championship game, probably ’02.  Won the Big 12 championship game against Texas one year too.  They’ve been rather terrible since, a couple of years ago they made the Pac 12 championship game only to get slapped around by Oregon.  That’s pretty much the highlight.   They had another issue with domestic violence a few years ago where a coach was charged or some such, wife who was the victim contacted the head coach who claimed ‘hey I passed the information on’ and kept the guy on staff.  He got canned, his replacement was an assistant from Georgia who bolted after one year.  Now it’s Karl Dorrell, who I think was most recently on Flores’s staff in Miami.

Alumni loved the Barnett hire as he was on McCartney’s staff here.  Anything that ties back to those teams 30 years ago.  Dorrell was also on McCartney’s staff so they’re happy with that.

I never cared about Greenberg one way or the other but I hate him now.  Probably that stupid show he does and him being another ‘personality’ that makes 6 or 7 mil a year.

Coma
    Participant

Thinking about it more, I think Greenberg was more upset with Barnett about all the scandals he was involved in while at CU. He did leave Northwestern for Colorado, but Barnett’s last 2 years there were both under .500. I thought he had bailed on their Rose Bowl team, but that wasn’t the case. I just remember Greenberg in the early 2000s wishing some defensive lineman would hit Barnett during an upcoming game.

With McCartney, I remember a quote from a player on his early CU teams that was along the lines of “We don’t need any more choir boys on this team, we need to get some players.” McCartney proceeded to recruit that way, which led to onfield success but more off the field problems. It’s kind of tough to reconcile the “Men of Integrity” slogan from Promise Keepers with the win at all costs mentality of a D1 college football coach. Football-wise, I remember McCartney revamped the offense from the option to a pro style attack for Darian Hagan’s last bowl game, in order to showcase him as a passer for the NFL. I had forgotten that, during that season, he also used Hagan as the team’s primary punt returner. I’m sure there are other examples of this, but I thought using your starting QB as regular punt returner was pretty unusual.

Coma
    Participant

Pete’s so stupid, Goodell throws around fines like that solely so you can look at it and say ‘see he fined them that one time!’ I fully expect he called Rooney up beforehand and they played the script out. Of course Pete overlooks stuff like Goodell with his wishy washy suspension of Rapist and the bizarre no explanation reduction in Leveon Bell’s standard 4 game suspension for his drug offense. And no one ever asked why with the Giants that the suspension on the table for Josh Brown was 1 game. 1 game, I thought the standard issue was 6? Zero investigative reporting. Too busy creeping around bathrooms.

Reducing Roethlisberger’s suspension didn’t make sense 10 years ago and looks even more absurd a decade later. He was given a 6 game suspension in April 2010 for violating the league’s personal conduct policy (allegedly committing rape.) On September 3rd, nine days before Pittsburgh’s season opener, Goodell announced the suspension would be reduced to 4 games. The reason for the reduction was basically that Roethlisberger didn’t get in any other trouble between April and September. If you were cynical, you could say that the league’s penalty for rape allegations is 6 games, but, if you only commit one rape, it will get cut to 4 games.

In terms of the Steelers cozy relationship with the league office, there are some excerpts from an AP article on the topic on NFL.com:

Rooney and Roethlisberger met with Goodell at an undisclosed location in New Jersey. Rooney and his organization have kept in frequent contact with the commissioner while Roethlisberger underwent extensive evaluations.

Roethlisberger and Goodell met last month at the team’s training camp in Latrobe, Pa. At that time, Goodell said he was encouraged by the progress Roethlisberger was making and promised to make his decision on the length of the suspension before the regular season began.

The Steeler’s owner and QB met with the commissioner in late August/early September. The owner had been in regular contact with the commissioner during the preceding months. Roethlisberger and Goodell also met in July/August. This was a guy accused of a serious crime and it seems like the commissioner was holding his hand during the reinstatement process. And what “extensive evaluations” could Roethlisberger have been going through? Clockwork Orange style re-programming?

We know that Goodell didn’t meet with Brady multiple times during the deflated football farce. I don’t remember Adrian Peterson and the Vikings owner being afforded the same treatment while Peterson was suspended for an entire year. Meanwhile, the Steelers worked closely with the league to get an alleged rapist back on the field two games earlier than they were supposed to. That’s where the “perception” comes from, Mr. King.

Humphrey
    Participant

Thinking about it more, I think Greenberg was more upset with Barnett about all the scandals he was involved in while at CU. He did leave Northwestern for Colorado, but Barnett’s last 2 years there were both under .500. I thought he had bailed on their Rose Bowl team, but that wasn’t the case. I just remember Greenberg in the early 2000s wishing some defensive lineman would hit Barnett during an upcoming game.

With McCartney, I remember a quote from a player on his early CU teams that was along the lines of “We don’t need any more choir boys on this team, we need to get some players.” McCartney proceeded to recruit that way, which led to onfield success but more off the field problems. It’s kind of tough to reconcile the “Men of Integrity” slogan from Promise Keepers with the win at all costs mentality of a D1 college football coach. Football-wise, I remember McCartney revamped the offense from the option to a pro style attack for Darian Hagan’s last bowl game, in order to showcase him as a passer for the NFL. I had forgotten that, during that season, he also used Hagan as the team’s primary punt returner. I’m sure there are other examples of this, but I thought using your starting QB as regular punt returner was pretty unusual.

The one thing I’ve never understood is how the Missouri coach didn’t park his ass on the field or call time out (if he had any) or something to make the officials confer and get the down right. One thing that the US loss to the Russians in 1972 taught me is under no circumstances do you tolerate what amounts to a “do over” if you’re 100% sure you are right about something.

Participant

WaxPack with an article about wax pack’s today.

Radiator Heaven: Through the Looking Glass: Depicting the ...

chicowalker
    Participant

I had a sports weekend in Denver back in 1997 or 98 – Rockies Friday night, Colorado-Michigan Saturday, Rockies Sunday afternoon, Broncos Sunday night. Turned out to be too much.

CU game was very fun. The buffalo run was a trip.

Somewhere between 98-2000 or so the Red Sox had doubleheaders on back to back weekdays. A few of my friends went to all four games, with the requisite pregame/between game/postgame shenanigans.  Even for a group of nascent alcoholics at the peak of their powers, they conceded it was a little much by the end

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Bedard switching from comparing his work ethic to Brady to now comparing his relentless pursuit of winning to Jordan.  He’s a mental patient.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Wait. Bedard is comparing his work ethic to Brady’s and Jordan’s?

Ha hahahahahaha.  And people subscribe to that crap?

Coma
    Participant

Remember, it’s the coaches and athletes who are arrogant, not the warrior poets who write or talk about their accomplishments.

Lebron
    Participant

Must have been a year or so now where Bedard was talking about how his work ethic was similar to that of Brady or other professional athletes.  Today he has some column about how he can relate to assholes like Jordan because of course he himself has a relentless pursuit of winning no matter what he does and he too gets infuriated when others around him don’t have the same attitude, and by golly he’ll let them know.  And if they don’t like it, that’s their problem.

GusChiggins
    Participant

That’s startling. From the ball field to the newsroom!
    Here’s a thought, Craig, it took you over 2 years to get 10,000 subscribers despite the local football making multiple super bowl appearances, the baseball team winning a World Series, and the basketball and hockey team achieving great success maybe it’s not your ‘competitive’ nature that is holding you back but something else.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar