Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 03/12/2018 Daily Thread

Tagged: 

This topic contains 45 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Blinded By The Lombardis 9 months ago.

Viewing 46 posts - 1 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author

Nick B
    Participant

Take me to the Big Dance

Feejis
    Participant

Only 342 Patriots have sued the league? Is that more or less than the number of kid rapes in the Red Sox facility? I’ll hang up and listen.

Participant

did the article compare those numbers to the other 31 during the same time frame?

jforb
    Participant

Guessing no but also no to any of us having read it to actually know.

7707, at this rate he may hit his membership target in 3 years.

Lefty

I similarly refuse to read the Globe.   It is my sense, however, that in most lawsuits like the concussion suits being filed, there is an effort to enroll plaintiffs and there may or may not be a deadline by which someone has to join the litigation.   I would assume there are a lot of players from a lot of teams that the NFLPA had sign up to preserve their rights as they played during the time period targeted by the suit.    Doesn’t mean they all have CTE or that the Patriots are unholy monsters, just means they are protecting their rights as potential plaintiffs.

Lefty

Sure enough, the settlement that is being administered required anyone who does or may have a claim to register within that litigation or opt out as of October 14, 2014.   The settlement applies to:

“All NFL Football players (including American Football League, World League of American Football, NFL Europe League and NFL Europa League players) who were on any Member Club or league’s roster, including preseason, regular season, or postseason before July 7, 2014, but who, on or after July 7, 2014, were no longer under contract to a Member Club (whether signed to a roster or signed to any practice squad, developmental squad, or taxi squad of a Member Club).”

That’s a whole crapload of players from the beginning of time until 7/7/14.  There are 20,387 registered participants in the class.  Of course there will be a lot of Pats players – particularly older players – in that list.   I would imagine anyone who played more than half a season in the NFL (which I think it the baseline requirement) would sign up whether they have CTE or not.

https://www.nflconcussionsettlement.com/Home.aspx

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by  Lefty.
    • This reply was modified 9 months ago by  Lefty.

jforb
    Participant

And it’s a suit against the league and helmet manufacturer, Pats have zero to do with it.

BrianInLA
    Participant

So what you’re saying is that the story from the baseball paper is completely misleading? Shocking. :dry:

Kevin
    Participant

Three years at $20 million per for Ndamukong Suh. What a deal that was! :lol:

Coma
    Participant

I’ve been meaning to ask this since Borges was suspended and Humphrey’s addition to the Picture Bunker thread has spurred me to action: Is there an article or other source out there that mentions Borges’ pro-union stance? Or is one of those things that’s just “known” based on things he’s said or written over the years? I’m looking for something to back up that Ron’s a big union guy, except when Brady was getting railroaded.

Also, an example of Breer maintaining his normal level of uselessness over the weekend: Field Yates tweeted out the news that the Patriots had traded for Danny Shelton. Breer replied to that tweet with “Cleveland and New England have been discussing the trade for the last two days. Deal is being finalized today.” Breer knew there were talks between to the two teams 2 days in advance and someone else still broke the story when an agreement was reached.

Fatty is so stupid. Three years ago, like everybody else in the world, he said Seattle should have run Marshawn Lynch on second down. But Fatty doubled down at the time, questioning the notion that the Seahawks couldn’t get three plays off in 26 seconds armed with one timeout:

Follow this: On the interception, Russell Wilson got the snap with 26 seconds left. If he’d handed it to Lynch, and Lynch got stopped, Seattle could have called its remaining timeout with about 20 seconds to play. At that point, offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell assigns two plays to Wilson, and he calls those two plays in the huddle. If stopped on third down, you’ve got a plan for fourth down. To think you could run Lynch on third down, and he could get stopped with 12 or 14 seconds left, and you couldn’t have unstacked the bodies and lined up and snapped another play is just wrong. Am I positive you could have run three rushing plays in the final half-minute with one timeout? No. But I think it’s quite likely that if necessary, you could have either run or passed on fourth down with some smart planning.

So today, he has Patricia explaining how the Pats had four DTs (Wilfork, Siliga, Branch and Jones) in on that play, with Ninkovich and Jones on the ends, going against a Seattle front with three wideouts, a back and a tight end. This also, Patricia explained, contributed to Belichick’s decision not to call timeout himself. The clock was ticking, the Pats had the right formation to stop the run, and Belichick wasn’t gonna bail the Seahawks out by calling timeout. So does Fatty conclude that running might have been the wrong call here, what with both the wrong personnel and the chance you’re sacrificing a chance on fourth down? No. He concludes running is still the right call, and so the thing to do is use that last timeout and reset the personnel to match the Pats’ stout front:

This is clearly second-guessing on my part, but once I saw that front, if I were Bevell or Carroll, I’d have burned my last timeout. Say you call time with 35 seconds left. You have no timeouts left. Say you get stopped on second down. Then you either play hurry-up to run the third-down play, so if you’re stopped, you’ve got the fourth-down call to try to win. Or Wilson spikes it after a failed second down, and you’ve got a chance to win on fourth down. Either way, you’d have had the chance to match up better against a New England front you were clearly not ready for.

So in both his scenarios – three years ago and today – Fatty prefers a situation where a failed second down run results in a rushed, hectic scenario to try to get a play in on third or fourth down. And after dreaming up an unlikely scenario three years ago where Seattle could just barely get three running plays off with 26 seconds and one timeout, he thinks today it’s possible to get three running plays off with 37 seconds left and no timeouts. Plus, if the Pats were playing run-heavy, with six DLs on the line, isn’t passing the right decision anyway? And so the mistake wasn’t the call, but the execution?

BrianInLA
    Participant

Everyone seems to forget that Lynch was something like 1 for 5 that year on getting into the end zone from the 1 or 2 yard line. Or some crazy stat like that which made not running the ball make even more sense especially with the defense the Pats had on the field. I can see calling a time out there and resetting but running the ball would have been stupid and everyone would be ripping Carroll for “running the ball with 11 guys in the box!!”

chicowalker
    Participant

My favorite exchange from an insane weekend- After PC-Nova, we are lingering outside MSG.  Group of Nova fans walk by and yell, simply, “Go Nova” Kid near us just yells “Fuck you!”  He’s in a Georgetown shirt, but I suspect he’s not a Georgetown student/grad..I go over to him and quickly guess by his accent he probably is a BCC/BHCC guy.  Ask him where he and his buddy are from, immediate response- “north shore/south shore”.  They tell me their whole thing is to come to sporting events (“got these tickets fa like 70 bucks on fuckin stub hub”) and, as the game is ending, light cigarettes and take pictures like low-rent Auerbachs (other guy is wearing a shirt with the Bird/Auerbach locker room picture with cigars).  I tell them I have McHale’s number tattooed on my arm.  “no shit? fuckin’ A. Awesome. Check this out” Unbuckles his belt, drops his pants halfway down, and shows me (and the thousands walking by) the TB12 tattoo on his ass.  Georgetown guy- remember, his partner in crime- says “Oh yeah, check THIS out!” Unbuckles his belt, drops his pants halfway down, and reveals…the same TB12 tattoo, on the same spot on his ass :lol: Myself and one of my friends are doubled over laughing, the most respectable of the three of us just turned and started walking away, speechless :ohmy:

jforb
    Participant

Plenty of things to criticize Carroll about, but they got beat on that by a player making a perfect play.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Plenty of things to criticize Carroll about, but they got beat on that by a player making a perfect play.

I think that’s the part that annoys me the most. The narrative has always been “The Seahawks f’d up” rather than “Butler made the greatest play in the history of the super bowl” and WHY he made that play (they had worked on it in practice). Its lazy and easier I suppose to just rip Seattle rather than give props to the Pats.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I think that’s the part that annoys me the most. The narrative has always been “The Seahawks f’d up” rather than “Butler made the greatest play in the history of the super bowl” and WHY he made that play (they had worked on it in practice). Its lazy and easier I suppose to just rip Seattle rather than give props to the Pats.

The other team has been making stupid mistakes for 20 years. It’s not a new narrative, it’s just that the Butler play is the most egregious example of it.

BrianInLA
    Participant

You are quite correct.

1st result searching for “Ravens Pats Playoff Moore”

Evans’ dropped pass costs Ravens – NFL Videos – NFL.com

Kevin
    Participant

A little too much retirement talk at the end of Tom vs. Time for my tastes.

Didn’t Fatty have Lockette talking about the play a week or two ago? Lockette talked about how he and Wilson chatted about it later and how they wanted another shot at it. That Wilson would get it to him next time. In other words, they acknowledged it as a failure in execution, not in play call. They both knew the actual result was the most improbable. That nine out of ten times, that ball’s either caught by Lockette or safely incomplete.

All the bluster that the improbable actually occurred is just projection, scapegoating and denial over the fact their desired outcome didn’t come to fruition.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

A little too much retirement talk at the end of Tom vs. Time for my tastes.

And talk of appreciation and fun. I’m losing it.

Coma
    Participant

Isn’t that the essence of “smart” football? Crossing up the defense and running when they expect you to pass and passing when they expect you to run? As BBTL said, you can make an argument that the execution by Seattle could have been better or that a fade pattern would have been a better choice, but passing the ball in that situation wasn’t a bad idea.

Seahawks fans and Patriots haters don’t grasp or don’t care that blasting that play call means they can’t criticize their team’s offense for being predictable. If their team is in a situation where running the ball is what everyone, including the defense, expects, they run and get stuffed, then they can’t complain. The same would go for obvious passing situations.

To build on what BrianinLA said, I guess it’s easier to be willfully ignorant than to give props to the Patriots.

One more thing: Seattle wasted two timeouts already on that drive  (wasn’t there a video clip of Carroll telling Wilson “a minute and a half, three timeouts, what more could you want?”). What makes Fatty think this disorganized bunch suddenly becomes the model of efficiency with 37 seconds left to get in three plays?

jforb
    Participant

Didn’t Fatty have Lockette talking about the play a week or two ago? Lockette talked about how he and Wilson chatted about it later and how they wanted another shot at it. That Wilson would get it to him next time. In other words, they acknowledged it as a failure in execution, not in play call. They both knew the actual result was the most improbable. That nine out of ten times, that ball’s either caught by Lockette or safely incomplete.

All the bluster that the improbable actually occurred is just projection, scapegoating and denial over the fact their desired outcome didn’t come to fruition.

I’m still not sure Lockette has figured out what happened to him on that play yet.

Also I need to amend “player making a perfect play” to give credit to Browner for blowing up the pick.

Coma
    Participant

You are quite correct. 1st result searching for “Ravens Pats Playoff Moore”

Is it Andy Hart who considers any pass that a receiver has a chance to catch, but doesn’t, as a drop? Or is it some other idiot? In any case, they look at a ball going through an open receiver’s hands and a defender knocking the ball away as a receiver is trying to catch it the same way.

jforb
    Participant

You are quite correct.

1st result searching for “Ravens Pats Playoff Moore”

My new fantasy: catch rules get changed and not thought through. Pats down in the SB, last play, Brady chucks it up. Gronk grabs it in the end zone and has it ripped out exactly like that but it’s a catch and fumble under the new rules so it’s a TD. Pats win, everyone retires.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

Theis out for the season.  More Ojeleye at center.

Humphrey
    Participant

Good thing they got Monroe.

Kevin
    Participant

Why can’t we get weed like that?

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Good thing they got Monroe.

Viewimage story

Beaker
    Participant

Episode 1: Bob gets baked with old colleague Steve Burton; Bob discusses Susan Wornick’s proclivities and the effects of stenosis on his current sex life; Steve stares at his hand and worries his thumb has plans to kill him; Bob pushes the Panic Button to get another delivery;  funnyman Lenny Clarke calls in

BrianInLA
    Participant

Isn’t that the essence of “smart” football? Crossing up the defense and running when they expect you to pass and passing when they expect you to run? As BBTL said, you can make an argument that the execution by Seattle could have been better or that a fade pattern would have been a better choice, but passing the ball in that situation wasn’t a bad idea. Seahawks fans and Patriots haters don’t grasp or don’t care that blasting that play call means they can’t criticize their team’s offense for being predictable. If their team is in a situation where running the ball is what everyone, including the defense, expects, they run and get stuffed, then they can’t complain.

Otherwise known as “Pulling a Jaguars”. :smile:

BrianInLA
    Participant

Didn’t Fatty have Lockette talking about the play a week or two ago? Lockette talked about how he and Wilson chatted about it later and how they wanted another shot at it. That Wilson would get it to him next time. In other words, they acknowledged it as a failure in execution, not in play call. They both knew the actual result was the most improbable. That nine out of ten times, that ball’s either caught by Lockette or safely incomplete. All the bluster that the improbable actually occurred is just projection, scapegoating and denial over the fact their desired outcome didn’t come to fruition.

I’m still not sure Lockette has figured out what happened to him on that play yet. Also I need to amend “player making a perfect play” to give credit to Browner for blowing up the pick.

Agreed. Browner doesn’t get enough credit for his part in that play. For all that he got shit on all year, that play was amazing. Part of me is still shocked they didn’t call pass interference though realistically I don’t think they could ever call it at that point in that game.

Kevin
    Participant

Episode 1: Bob gets baked with old colleague Steve Burton; Bob discusses Susan Wornick’s proclivities and the effects of stenosis on his current sex life; Steve stares at his hand and worries his thumb has plans to kill him; Bob pushes the Panic Button to get another delivery; funnyman Lenny Clarke calls in

:lol:

Bob, my local dispensary has this new strain I like to call ‘Mr. Big’. Anyway, a couple of hits of that and I hallucinated that I was on TV with an alligator that was trying to eat me!

Participant

Episode 1: Bob gets baked with old colleague Steve Burton; Bob discusses Susan Wornick’s proclivities and the effects of stenosis on his current sex life; Steve stares at his hand and worries his thumb has plans to kill him; Bob pushes the Panic Button to get another delivery; funnyman Lenny Clarke calls in

😆 Bob, my local dispensary has this new strain I like to call ‘Mr. Big’. Anyway, a couple of hits of that and I hallucinated that I was on TV with an alligator that was trying to eat me!

“Why can’t we get edibles like that?”

Chico, I have a J. Peterman on line 1 – wants to talk to you about buying your stories. :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by  02062.

Beaker
    Participant

Bob plays the “Pot Strain or WBZ Name” game with the intern/podcast engineer, who gets tripped up on ‘Schwoegler’

Humphrey
    Participant

I’ve been meaning to ask this since Borges was suspended and Humphrey’s addition to the Picture Bunker thread has spurred me to action: Is there an article or other source out there that mentions Borges’ pro-union stance? Or is one of those things that’s just “known” based on things he’s said or written over the years? I’m looking for something to back up that Ron’s a big union guy, except when Brady was getting railroaded. Also, an example of Breer maintaining his normal level of uselessness over the weekend: Field Yates tweeted out the news that the Patriots had traded for Danny Shelton. Breer replied to that tweet with “Cleveland and New England have been discussing the trade for the last two days. Deal is being finalized today.” Breer knew there were talks between to the two teams 2 days in advance and someone else still broke the story when an agreement was reached.

All I remember is that a board member named him “Norma Rae Borges” and it wasn’t me.

Lefty

I’ve been meaning to ask this since Borges was suspended and Humphrey’s addition to the Picture Bunker thread has spurred me to action: Is there an article or other source out there that mentions Borges’ pro-union stance? Or is one of those things that’s just “known” based on things he’s said or written over the years? I’m looking for something to back up that Ron’s a big union guy, except when Brady was getting railroaded. Also, an example of Breer maintaining his normal level of uselessness over the weekend: Field Yates tweeted out the news that the Patriots had traded for Danny Shelton. Breer replied to that tweet with “Cleveland and New England have been discussing the trade for the last two days. Deal is being finalized today.” Breer knew there were talks between to the two teams 2 days in advance and someone else still broke the story when an agreement was reached.

All I remember is that a board member named him “Norma Rae Borges” and it wasn’t me.

My recollection is that Ron was always talking about the owners like they were plantation owners and that while at the Globe he had a habit of filing grievances at the drop of a hat.   Think he grieved his plagiarism firing, too, but don’t recall specifics.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

My recollection is that Ron was always talking about the owners like they were plantation owners and that while at the Globe he had a habit of filing grievances at the drop of a hat.

That’s why the angry little troll loved Al Davis. He viewed him as the one blue-collar owner who fought against all the other starched rich guys, and made his team a home for weirdos and malcontents. Ron’s “people”.

Claude45
    Participant

Didn’t Fatty have Lockette talking about the play a week or two ago? Lockette talked about how he and Wilson chatted about it later and how they wanted another shot at it. That Wilson would get it to him next time. In other words, they acknowledged it as a failure in execution, not in play call. They both knew the actual result was the most improbable. That nine out of ten times, that ball’s either caught by Lockette or safely incomplete. All the bluster that the improbable actually occurred is just projection, scapegoating and denial over the fact their desired outcome didn’t come to fruition.

I’m still not sure Lockette has figured out what happened to him on that play yet. Also I need to amend “player making a perfect play” to give credit to Browner for blowing up the pick.

Agreed. Browner doesn’t get enough credit for his part in that play. For all that he got shit on all year, that play was amazing. Part of me is still shocked they didn’t call pass interference though realistically I don’t think they could ever call it at that point in that game.

Every time I re-watch the play, I still expect the flag to come out. It was in no way PI but in today’s NFL, I’m surprised they didn’t call it.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by  Claude45.

Yahtzee
    Participant

For your listening pleasure:

Michele McPhee

So excited about my new PODCAST! Please follow and LIKE Life is Great Media to get the latest updates on when the first episode will be ready!

Feejis
    Participant

Did Mittens really devote a column to why he’s a better negotiator than Dick Sherman?

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

This Beane/McDermott regime in Buffalo is not afraid to make moves.

Cleared a mess of cap and moved up 9 spots with 2 trades.

I always liked Cordy Glenn, but he’s missed a lot of games lately

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

This Beane/McDermott regime in Buffalo is not afraid to make moves. Cleared a mess of cap and moved up 9 spots with 2 trades. I always liked Cordy Glenn, but he’s missed a lot of games lately

Who do you think will be the Bills’ QB next season?

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Curran has become a real downer.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

This Beane/McDermott regime in Buffalo is not afraid to make moves. Cleared a mess of cap and moved up 9 spots with 2 trades. I always liked Cordy Glenn, but he’s missed a lot of games lately

Who do you think will be the Bills’ QB next season?

Probably Bradford or McCown. But I think they are making moves to go up and get Rosen personally. It’s a huge price to get there

Viewing 46 posts - 1 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar