Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 03/30-04/05/20 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 68 total)
  • Author

I didn’t know about the “#somegoodnews” campaign until I looked at Joe’s twitter feed and saw all the other posts he was retweeting. Other people were sharing birthday ideas, songs, jokes, and positive life events like a new baby or being cancer free. Joe’s contribution was that he found sauce packs in his fridge from a restaurant he can still go to. He would have been better off lining up his Star Wars figures.

#valuencing

6 users thanked author for this post.
    stabbed by foulke
    Participant

How many times as Joe hit up Chick Fil A for a free sandwich for all the #valuencing he’s given them for free?

Lebron
    Participant

I assume he’s trying to look hip using Tik Tok like all the cool kids.  Of course it’s ChiCom spy software.

Participant

Lucky them.

University of Tennessee students got a huge surprise from one of the school’s most famous alums.

Peyton Manning injected life into the monotony of an online Zoom class when he crashed the session to wish the students well and offer a message to help get them through the rest of the semester while learning remotely because of the coronavirus pandemic.”

Lebron
    Participant

I saw that last week.  Of course a lot of the students ooh’d and aahh’d.  What the fuck, the guy was there 20+ years ago and never won a fucking thing.  They won the national championship with Tee fucking Martin.  I hate Spurrier but I always loved his “you can’t spell Citrus without UT” jab.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Wimbledon cancels.  Champions League suspended indefinitely, doubt they get that in.  I’ll laugh if EPL cancels the season and doesn’t award Liverpool the championship.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    GusChiggins
    Participant

Wimbledon cancels. Champions League suspended indefinitely, doubt they get that in. I’ll laugh if EPL cancels the season and doesn’t award Liverpool the championship.

I don’t ask for much but would love this. Especially considering Liverpool had a chance to win the title at Everton.

Lefty

Lucky them.

University of Tennessee students got a huge surprise from one of the school’s most famous alums.

Peyton Manning injected life into the monotony of an online Zoom class when he crashed the session to wish the students well and offer a message to help get them through the rest of the semester while learning remotely because of the coronavirus pandemic.”

At the end of the class, Manning then lowered his trousers and tea-bagged the camera.

Video footage was removed from school records following a visit from Mr Manning’s associates.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Rumors of a Mickelson & Brady vs. Woods & Manning golf match for charity, sometime in May. Live on TNT or another cable channel, not pay-per-view, no fans in attendance.

Sounds like a fun afternoon watch, but not sure how they’ll monetize it besides the TV rights fee.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Yahtzee
    Participant

Wimbledon cancels. Champions League suspended indefinitely, doubt they get that in. I’ll laugh if EPL cancels the season and doesn’t award Liverpool the championship.

Mean and not for everyone.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Rumors of a Mickelson & Brady vs. Woods & Manning golf match for charity, sometime in May. Live on TNT or another cable channel, not pay-per-view, no fans in attendance.

Sounds like a fun afternoon watch, but not sure how they’ll monetize it besides the TV rights fee.

Product placements every hole.

“That’s one heck of a shot, Tom! How do you keep so flexible?”

“Well…”

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Humphrey
    Participant

Shank, in his usual snarky way, brought up the 1972 Red Sox yesterday, the team that lost the division by a half game because they played one game less than the division winners. The reason for that was that there was a player strike at the beginning of the season that wiped out a couple weeks and when the games started, they just chalked up the games they missed as cancellations and played out the rest of the season with no changes.

The commissioner at the time was a bozo (one of many commissioner bozos in my lifetime), Bowie Kuhn, who couldn’t figure out that if they didn’t even out the games, some inequity like that might happen.

Lebron
    Participant

Brady’s dad can play his natural role as Tom’s caddy.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Re. Humphrey’s post about 1972 … Here was Luis Tiant’s season.

This was Year 2 of the Tiant Reclamation Project. His ERA was 4.00 as late as June 7, and he had made only six starts through July 31.  The manager, Eddie Kasko (nicknamed “Fiasco Kasko” by EGA), doesn’t plug him into the rotation until August 19, and then he throws four straight complete game shutouts and goes 9-2 in August and September, throwing five more complete games between September 8 and 29. (I was a teenager, not living in New England then, following from afar.)  On October 3, he loses to Woody Fryman of the Tigers, 3-1, which costs them the division.*  The Red Sox are 57-55 on August 19 and finish 85-70.

*Shank’s oft-mentioned “Luis Aparicio’s base running gaffe–he falls while rounding third base on a Yaz double and when he retreats to third, Yaz is already on the bag and is tagged out–kills a Sox rally” happened the night before with John Curtis on the Sox’ mound.

Lebron
    Participant

Crazy things that still stick in my head from when I was 8.  Think it was ’78, might have been ’77, but a Globe headline after a game that I think was against the A’s

“El Tiante Stays El Perfecto – Sox Win 9-0”

Lebron
    Participant

Another one I remember from the Herald in April ’91 after Jack Clark hit a game winning home run in Toronto on Opening Day  “Jackpot!”

Yahtzee
    Participant

Remarkable story in today’s WSJ about Jonathan arranging for Pats plane to pick up a million masks in China.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-million-n95-masks-are-coming-from-chinaon-board-the-new-england-patriots-plane-11585821600

Lefty

Remarkable story in today’s WSJ about Jonathan arranging for Pats plane to pick up a million masks in China.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-million-n95-masks-are-coming-from-chinaon-board-the-new-england-patriots-plane-11585821600

Thanks for posting that.

Pizzuti-pie must be a wreck.  That positive Kraft publicity is going to cost her 11 seconds of angry sex.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Norwood Zip
    Participant

845 still no mention of it in Boston.Com.

EDIT:  Up now

Lefty

845 still no mention of it in Boston.Com.

They are standing by to write about how the Red Sox are quickly trying to deliver 200 Fenway Franks to Mass General in the old bullpen cart.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

That must explain the thread on Patsfans on why the Pats’ plane was seen in Alaska.

Participant

That must explain the thread on Patsfans on why the Pats’ plane was seen in Alaska.

“Belichick’s buidling a shadow roster of Aleuts Tony.”

Participant

there has never been anything more satisfying to me than Opening Day at Fenway Park.”

the sunniest day no matter the weather, is the Fenway opener.”

I’ll never forget to cherish every moment of Opening Day, whenever it comes around again.

Coma
    Participant

I just saw that Bruins reporter Marisa Ingemi was let go by the Herald about an hour ago. I know nothing of her writing, but I have a vague recollection of her having some dumb opinions on social media. It’s probably no great loss, but I’m left wondering why the Globe can’t do the same thing to Shank or Volin.

Participant

Brady’s going to be on Stern on the 8th of April.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar