Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 03/01/2017 Daily Thread

This topic contains 127 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  Tom Pepper 2 years ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 128 total)
  • Author

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Lastly, they keep him and somebody gets desperate. Like the trade for Bradford or if one of these new coaches on a short lease get into training camp and realize the Goffs of the world won’t cut it. Then Belichick can “max” out.

Everything you say is fine, but leaking that there’s zero chance you’ll trade a guy when the above is still a live possibility strikes me as media gamesmanship at some level.

chicowalker
    Participant

Mazz has been saying up and down *grave, serious voice* “I don’t. I don’t trade him for anything”  He’ll still find a way to twist this into so you’re not at least listening to offers?

InThisTown
    Participant

Mazz has been saying up and down *grave, serious voice* “I don’t. I don’t trade him for anything” He’ll still find a way to twist this into so you’re not at least listening to offers?

Look I don’t know if that’s the case, but if that’s true, I mean that’s a JOKE, Mike. 

Claude45
    Participant

Lastly, they keep him and somebody gets desperate. Like the trade for Bradford or if one of these new coaches on a short lease get into training camp and realize the Goffs of the world won’t cut it. Then Belichick can “max” out.

Everything you say is fine, but leaking that there’s zero chance you’ll trade a guy when the above is still a live possibility strikes me as media gamesmanship at some level.

I agree with that 100%. I also think it probably makes no difference in the end to how this turns out. It’s probably just saving the Pats a couple of phone calls.

Kevin
    Participant

Another scenario, that we probably don’t want to think about. What if Brady only wants to play one more? All that “I’d like to play five more seasons” stuff was before he knew he’d win a fifth. We already know Gisele’s preference.

Patrick Pass
    Participant

That Mary Kay Cabot or whatever her name is who is a Browns beat writer was advocating in her column giving up the #1 overall if necessary for JG. Not that the media knows anything but she’s been a beat writer there for awhile and always struck me as one of the decent media types in terms of real reporting.

InThisTown
    Participant

Another scenario, that we probably don’t want to think about. What if Brady only wants to play one more? All that “I’d like to play five more seasons” stuff was before he knew he’d win a fifth. We already know Gisele’s preference.

He’s said multiple times since he won it that he wants to keep playing.

Patrick Pass
    Participant

True but they’d have to project JG as special and significantly better than whatever they project Brissett as, who I think they like. Which might be the case.

InThisTown
    Participant

That Mary Kay Cabot or whatever her name is who is a Browns beat writer was advocating in her column giving up the #1 overall if necessary for JG. Not that the media knows anything but she’s been a best writer there for awhile and always struck me as one of the decent media types in terms of real reporting.

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t if you think he is a 10 year starter. I think he is, but I’m biased. I don’t know what flaws he has that would be exposed when not being prepared like Bill helps to prepare you but he looks god damn awesome and I thought that from the first ball the threw in his first camp.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

That Mary Kay Cabot or whatever her name is who is a Browns beat writer was advocating in her column giving up the #1 overall if necessary for JG. Not that the media knows anything but she’s been a best writer there for awhile and always struck me as one of the decent media types in terms of real reporting.

She’s OK, but I wonder how much of the Cleveland media is in “do whatever it takes” mode regarding the Browns, because they’ve all been damaged and frustrated by the success the Ravens and Patriots have had with ex-Cleveland people, while they wallow in the basement. Not sure how much a Cleveland journos opinion marries up with the front office. It’d certainly be nice if someone was actually that desperate, however.

Kevin
    Participant

I’m sure he does. But I also think he’d give Belichick a heads up to plan around when he was thinking about it.

Lefty

If they don’t trade him, Jimmy G is probably not happy.   He was probably thinking he gets traded and immediately hits up the new team for a long term extension with lots of guaranteed money.   So, before this season starts he has some long term guarantees in place whether he plays well or not, gets hurt or not.    If it stays the same as it is now, he is at least deferred a year from getting a longer deal and it creates the potential for his leverage and stock to drop.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t care if he is happy or not, just stating the obvious.

Claude45
    Participant

I would think that Brady would let the team know this was a possibility (even if not a certainty) before they trade Jimmy. Every Bills, Jets and Dolphins forum is “just wait until Brady retires, then the Cheatriots fans will see” hate. It would be some kind of wonderful if Brady did step down and then Jimmy G was the best the QB in the division for the next 10 years or so. Even better if they trade Jimmy G for a bunch of picks and he goes on to be successful. Then turn it over to Brissett after a few more years of Brady and Brissett goes on to be the best QB in the division for the next 10 years. It would be glorious.

Patrick Pass
    Participant

I would take #12 and a 4th and be extremely happy with it but I want that 4th back too.

Feejis
    Participant

I don’t think Brady really has any other choice unless he wants to go the Jeter/Ortiz route and announce his farewell in advance. He has to say he wants to keep playing. He says anything other than that and everyone reads into it.

Participant

“Returned from the Patriots to bring the Jets to the BRINK of the playoffs in 2015.”

Ny Post – 3/1/2017

:lol:

Feejis
    Participant

Who said zero?

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Who said zero?

That word wasn’t used. It just looks to me like the Pats are leaking that they’re effectively closing the door to trading him, when I don’t think they really are yet.

Feejis
    Participant

Who said zero?

That word wasn’t used. It just looks to me like the Pats are leaking that they’re effectively closing the door to trading him, when I don’t think they really are yet.

Or other teams are leaking it because they’re making shitty offers and the Pats are telling them to stuff it.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Or other teams are leaking it because they’re making shitty offers and the Pats are telling them to stuff it.

It’s..uh..called a negotiation, Dale.”

https://i2.wp.com/1.bp.blogspot.com/-fF6WVmEleHE/V07iDkA2txI/AAAAAAAADNM/5tc8FOC-F6QplzJa9_rHCADXvfIrrJO1wCLcB/s1600/image855.gif?w=730&ssl=1

chicowalker
    Participant

Holy shit, almost completed the full TjM in the wrong day’s thread.  I’ll take several laps

Kevin
    Participant

Psychoanalyzing the Giardi thing about Jimmy G:

My theory is that Tom Curran can text/call Brady whenever he wants to get info.

Little brother Giardi is working in getting this deal with the possible next guy, so talking him up is natural.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Apropos of nothing, here are highlights of the Jags’ 62-7 trouncing of the Dolphins in the playoffs in 2000, sending Jimmy Johnson and Marino packing forever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C82M9uwX81M I had forgotten all about the details of this game. Mind boggling.

Too bad Shula wasn’t coaching that group. All that sloppy and stupid play, including the “not down by contact” fumble return. I’ve come to like Jimmy Johnson and respect him for pointing out the hypocrisy surrounding “Spygate.”  I remember laughing my way through that 62-7 game, though.  Looked up the box score: Miami had seven turnovers and 131 total yards (Jax had 520 total yards).  Jay Fiedler (I forgot he played for the Jags before the Fins) relieved Brunell in the second half with Jax leading 41-7.  Only Miami TD came with 0:01 left in the first half. Marino was 11 of 25 for 95 yards, two picks, one touchdown, QB rating of 34.6 …  :ohmy:

Damon Huard came in for him in the second half.

Boxscore

Lefty

Vanek traded from Det to FLorida.    He only scores against the Bruins and the Bruins only play them once more this year……

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

This guy was good too.

The ones who can’t just admit they blew it are amazing. I had a guy go at me for hours the Mankins trade wasn’t good the other day. Completely lost his shit. Argued Flowers didn’t contribute to one of the two Soupeys (Mankins contributed to none). Convinced I was a Steelers fan. Changed his name to Mrs. O’Leary Swallows 😆

To me, it’s about their original Tweets. The tone of those are amazing. They make these absolute predictions without nuance and toss around things like “cheap fucks.” They are like Bertrand, so fucking smug and sure of themselves even though they never did anything.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 128 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar