Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 04/03/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 65 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Fred West Lynn 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • Author

Major Intangibles
    Participant

There’s two boxes of these in the break room, courtesy of big winner Chico Walker.

Thanks Villanova, but that’s quite enough winning for Philadelphia this year.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Panera data breach… Joe Gill would be in trouble if he ever purchased anything and didn’t just mooch off the free wifi.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/04/panerabread-com-leaks-millions-of-customer-records/

Beaker
    Participant

“confetti or something”…glitter? mascara glob? jizz?

Bruschi, trying to articulate to his ESPN mates what it’s like to play for Bill Belichick, and why a guy being iffy on playing is a troublesome thing for Belichick (link). So Bruschi tries to illustrate the point talking about a time in 2007 when they had just beaten Baltimore to go to 13-0, and the first thing Belichick does is come in and berate Bruschi and Seau on being out of position. Bruschi was trying to show that you need to be all in for Belichick, because he’s all in.

Anyway, at about the one minute mark, there’s this exchange with Stephen A. Smith:

BRUSCHI: “It was me and Junior Seau. And we had just beat Baltimore. It was 2007…”
    SAS: “Playoffs or regular season?”
    BRUSCHI: “It was 2007, it was, it was…”
    SAS: “Playoffs or regular season?”
    BRUSCHI: “It was a regular season game.”

It really speaks to Smith’s self-importance. He couldn’t just let Bruschi tell the fucking story without jumping in to have his voice heard.

• First, what difference does it make if it was regular season or playoffs? That’s completely immaterial to the story.
    • Second, the Ravens sucked in 2007. They went 5-11. I don’t necessarily expect Smith to remember details about when teams are good or bad. But this shows the media group think about Baltimore, in how regardless of the year, they kept thinking they were the 2000 Ravens.
    • Finally, 2007 was a pretty iconic year. Again, I don’t expect Smith to remember details of everybody’s season year to year, but he can’t remember who the Patriots played in the playoffs in the year they went 18-1?

Major Intangibles
    Participant

I understand that had Chico actually won big, he planned to hire the same caterers who handled that rightly-famous Patriots breakfast Shank was not invited to.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

“confetti or something”…glitter? mascara glob? jizz?

TEC:

:lol:

When Twitter form and function align:

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I thought the globe was in financial trouble? Why waste money sending Gasper to the final 4? No fucking way what ever he comes up with sells enough extra papers to even cover his parking at Logan.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

Some cunt Ken Laird on WEI says that Gronk is going to be traded in the coming weeks. I am of the mind that Gronk is the best non-qb in football. If they do end up trading him, it will most certainly be for cents on the dollar.

I mean, if you told me the trade was Gronk for Watt I could live with it. Anything else and you won’t get back what you give out.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

By the way, the Callahardfoul account is strictly made up trades from now on.*

* From now on  :dry:

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

If Bill could put up with Lawrence Taylor snorting coke off a hookers ass at halftime I think he can put up with Gronks Instagram account. The Gronk trade rumors are all figments of the media’s pea brain imagination. I wonder which one of them has the balls to ‘suggest’ that they package him in a deal to get Jimmy G back? :wall:

If OBJ is worth multiple firsts (Ron Howard: “He isn’t”), what’s an actual matchup headache like Gronk worth?

jforb
    Participant

Some cunt Ken Laird on WEI says that Gronk is going to be traded in the coming weeks. I am of the mind that Gronk is the best non-qb in football. If they do end up trading him, it will most certainly be for cents on the dollar.

I mean, if you told me the trade was Gronk for Watt I could live with it. Anything else and you won’t get back what you give out.

Florio says it was a joke and is all pissy about it.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

The Gronk trade rumors began as soon as the will he/won’t he retire started to die down. Need a new Patriots controversy to sell auto glass.

That said, if Bill thinks Gronk will retire or is otherwise not interested in playing, he’s going to move on in a heartbeat.

Feejis
    Participant

If OBJ is worth multiple firsts (Ron Howard: “He isn’t”), what’s an actual matchup headache like Gronk worth?

For $39.99 coach Craig will tell you a 2nd and 3rd.

Hacksaw
    Participant

If Bill could put up with Lawrence Taylor snorting coke off a hookers ass at halftime I think he can put up with Gronks Instagram account. The Gronk trade rumors are all figments of the media’s pea brain imagination. I wonder which one of them has the balls to ‘suggest’ that they package him in a deal to get Jimmy G back? :wall:

These guys love to apply Red Sox logic to the Patriots.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

The Athletic is official in Boston.

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticBOS?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Do we have a live cam at the BSJ headquarters?

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

chicowalker
    Participant

The Athletic is official in Boston. https://twitter.com/TheAthleticBOS?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor Do we have a live cam at the BSJ headquarters?

Chief
    Participant

In what is a first-ever for me*, I just paid to subscribe to a news source — The Athletic.  In recent months, I have found myself clicking on more and more links that I can’t read.  And their Boston-centric (not hyperlocal) content starts next week.

Also,  subscribed as an FU to Bedard. I have to believe that Chris Price is regretting his decision to hitch his wagon to that bloated horse.

And as long as they continue to pay Shank, I will work around the Glob’s laughable paywall.

*I do subscribe to a bunch of legacy media sites, but work pays for that.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Even if they fired Shank today I’d still work around the Globe’s pay-wall. You can’t forget the fact that they gave that turd a platform for  decades.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

“Dear God, you don’t suppose that, that the, the rooster knows how to get past the firewall.”

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

The Athletic is official in Boston. https://twitter.com/TheAthleticBOS?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor Do we have a live cam at the BSJ headquarters?

null

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Also, subscribed as an FU to Bedard. I have to believe that Chris Price is regretting his decision to hitch his wagon to that bloated horse.

Ditto. I have to believe once football coverage gets going in earnest, they’re going to need more than one football-centric writer. If so, I sure hope they give Chris Price a call.

I love the fact that you get all this local coverage and also access to all their national coverage as well. Hyperlocal my ass!

Feejis
    Participant

In what is a first-ever for me*, I just paid to subscribe to a news source — The Athletic. In recent months, I have found myself clicking on more and more links that I can’t read. And their Boston-centric (not hyperlocal) content starts next week. Also, subscribed as an FU to Bedard. I have to believe that Chris Price is regretting his decision to hitch his wagon to that bloated horse. And as long as they continue to pay Shank, I will work around the Glob’s laughable paywall. *I do subscribe to a bunch of legacy media sites, but work pays for that.

Just did it as well. 30% off so $42 for the year. Plus a t-shirt.

Eff Bedard.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Only way B.B. ships out Gronk is if he starts to half ass it. BB and Brady like to win so Gronk helps that. Could he be gone once Brady’s done, that’s a better scenario.

All this is about filling 4 hours to generate calls.

jforb
    Participant

7931, guessing the athletic is smart enough to not release their numbers

We should design Bedard’s BSJ tee shirt.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Even if they fired Shank today I’d still work around the Globe’s pay-wall. You can’t forget the fact that they gave that turd a platform for decades.

Reader View extension for Chrome bypasses the paywall. I still won’t click on Shank though.

https://add0n.com/chrome-reader-view.html

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Suzy
    Participant

Even if they fired Shank today I’d still work around the Globe’s pay-wall. You can’t forget the fact that they gave that turd a platform for decades.

Bingo.

To the point where the clown goes on national TV as an “expert” on this region’s sports and fans.  :wall:

Kevin
    Participant

Did someone ask for terrible photoshopping?

Nick B
    Participant

still better than anything LJ ever came up with

Remember this bullshit story from Florio in 2013 (link)? Where he ran with a story from an email promotion from something called “jumpseat.me” about some Gronk party plane to Vegas. Florio used the opportunity to condemn Gronk for partying a couple days before he was scheduled to have surgery. It included this editorializing:

While there’s no reason to believe that Gronkowski’s penchant for partying caused or contributed to the infection that invaded his arm following his second surgery, he’s contributing to a perception that, if he would back off on the shirtless slam dancing and everything that goes along with it, he’d be healthy by now.

Then there’s the probability that Gronkowski needs back surgery.  While he’s on his own time and he should be allowed to enjoy his life, he’s inviting criticism from folks who think he’s not taking his career seriously — especially when it appears that his career may be at a crossroads.

Problem was the story was already debunked something like eight to 11 hours before Florio ran it. Who’s more of an idiot: Ken Laird or the guy who believes Ken Laird actually got a scoop?

BSF34
    Participant

still better than anything LJ ever came up with

“If I started a website I’d call it the Unathletic BWAHAHAHA but seriously Craig I’m in terrible physical shape.”

Wait, what?

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Did some work on it for you:

Attachments:

chicowalker
    Participant

link being flagged as spam, but apparently URI was all set to hire Pitino, but the president nixed it

Lefty

link being flagged as spam, but apparently URI was all set to hire Pitino, but the president nixed it

The President?

“Little Ricky wants to coach in New England but never had his final press conference when he ran out on the Celtics.   Sad!   We won’t let him go to Rhode Island and disappoint the waitresses with 15 second trap.  “

chicowalker
    Participant

There are some good looking waitresses at the Mews in Wakefield.  Color me relieved, whatever minor bump it would provide would be undone by having to find another coach in two years/ typical Pitino bullshit

Claude45
    Participant

Just signed up for the Athletic. I enjoy spite filled acts, probably a little more than is healthy but oh well.

Ironhead
    Participant

Kevin, *and Kingasaurus you magnificent bastards.

I generally consider myself a good person, I believe in Karma as a concept, etc.  The amount of enmity I have and energy I’ve invested in the failure of Bedard and BSJ confirms my diagnosis of Irish Alzheimer’s:  Forgets Everything But A Grudge.  If he answered my question during his Twitter Q&A without being a cunt, I never would have begun a hyperlocal jihad and probably would have subscribed to start.

Oh, and I also subscribed to The Athletic.  Howe clinched it for me.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by  Ironhead.

Kevin
    Participant

Did some work on it for you:

main-qimg-3b20b6a0ee4f25d52ba95ad632b3586c-c

How much would it cost us to have this made and put in Greg’s yard? :lol:

Claude45
    Participant

Bedard is a thin-skinned, condescending, arrogant asshole who is completely dismissive of his potential audience. Not a humble bone in his body coupled with a delusional opinion of himself which causes him to be completely unlikable.

When Bedard started his site, he asked me to sign up because as a beaneating green teamer, it would be hyper-local. The Athletic has a post with a well thought out explanation of why they think a pay site will work and why I should subscribe. The editor-in-chief laid out why he thought it work and what he had invested in time and reputation. Bedard copied a guy in Pittsburg.

One guy is an industrious, hard-working, detailed and prepared business operator. The other is Bedard. No doubt in my mind that the hardest working guy this side of Tom Brady thinks he put in as much effort James Mirtle for the Athletic did but I’m here to tell you, he didn’t put in a tenth of the effort or work.

Suzy
    Participant

OH NO.

Where else are we gonna get insight like, He’s currently batting .302, which makes sense since he grew up in a large family.

Chief
    Participant

Athletic just announced Fluto.  I wont even have to work around the Glob paywall anymore.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Coach Betard thought people would pay for local coverage but nothing he’s doing is any different than what we hear and read.

He goes on the radio and just shits on the best coach and team and I’m suppose to pay for that?

By the way you can take Keefe away from the Zone but you can’t take the Zone out of Keefe. Stale is actually the voice of reason.

Feejis
    Participant

Wonder if Box Score made a killing off Spotify’s opening day on the exchange.

Humphrey
    Participant

R

I always wanted to dump a load of garbage on Shank’s lawn like they did to the convenience store guy in The Sopranos.    Nearly empty tomato cans, of course.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Wonder if Box Score made a killing off Spotify’s opening day on the exchange.

Stock had been trading privately between $48-$132 a share. Opens this morning at $169 a share. That’s the high of the day and closes at $148 (low of the day). I expect Axe Capital is behind this somehow.

Suzy
    Participant

R

I always wanted to dump a load of garbage on Shank’s lawn like they did to the convenience store guy in The Sopranos. Nearly empty tomato cans, of course.

That’s actually brilliant. 

Ironhead
    Participant

The least we can do is send a sympathy card to #BSJHQ.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by  Ironhead.
Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar