Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 04/04/18 Daily Thread – Cooks, We Hardly Knew Ye

This topic contains 62 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  BrianInLA 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 63 total)
  • Author

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

I hope their efforts to reconcile the two takes that Cooks sucked last year and the trade is terrible makes Tony Mazz’s and Big Jim’s heads explode.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Cooks was good last year, but not great. Getting a 1st rounder for him essentially turned him into a 1-year rental. Things might have turned out a bit differently for him had Edlemen not been hurt all year but thats the way things go. The Rams are loading up on ‘names’ this year in order to sell seats in their new stadium. I wonder how many of the big name players will still be around when that place opens. Still no matter how it ends up for them on the field the Chargers are clearly going to end up being the #2 team in that market by a wide margin barring some sort of miracle SuperBowl victory.

Claude45
    Participant

It looks like saying that new ESPN morning show was going to be a complete disaster was giving it way too much credit. I heard a couple of clips and it seems to be an excruciating watch. The show punishes you for watching. So that’s a nice spend of $40-50 million or so.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by  Claude45.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Florio can’t decide whether the Pats are going to package Gronk + the two first-rounders to trade up for one of the top quarterbacks, or trade for OBJ. He also seems to share Fatty’s fascination with Chris Simms (he co-hosts his radio show); “Simms selected the Patriots in last week’s PFT Live draft of ideal destinations for Beckham, and Belichick now has the draft capital to get Beckham, if Belichick wants him.” Um, no, he won’t, and no thanks.

One of Fatty’s minions thinks it’s more likely now that the Pats trade Gronk, saying he fits more in the vertical passing game Cooks engendered, rather than the “dink-and-dunk” he assumes they’re going back to now. Wouldn’t the trade of Cooks make them *less* not *more* likely to trade Gronk?

Either way, :weei:

Kevin
    Participant

Troll idea:

Someone who doesn’t tweet a lot should @ Bedard playing dumb and write they’ve missed his writing from the SI days and they just subscribed to The Athletic and cant wait until he starts.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

The trade also is bringing back the overhyping of Amendola. “They lost Cooks AND Amendola?!”

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

They will package :lol: :lol: the picks AND Gronk to get back Jimmy G? Then trade Brady to get OBJ? It’s the only solution that makes sense :lol: Why can’t you people see that?

Claude45
    Participant

Dorsett should get a nice opportunity next year and I think he could be productive.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Kenny Britt too.

Kevin
    Participant

They will package 😆 😆 the picks AND Gronk to get back Jimmy G? Then trade Brady to get OBJ? It’s the only solution that makes sense 😆 Why can’t you people see that?

😆 Seven Minute Abs, man!

Lebron
    Participant

Venn diagram for people not understanding what a catch was and not understanding Garropolo/Cooks transactions is a perfect circle.

Participant

Come for the rooftop vegetable garden, stay for the  creme brulee french toast #MyFenway

“Kennedy and Evans joined chairman Tom Werner for a taste of the new concession offerings, from “Jane Dough” cookie dough ice cream to crème brûlée French toast. “

Lebron
    Participant

The French toast gimmick only makes sense for the Patriots Day game, right?

Cookie dough ice cream.  What’s next, spinach salads?  Welcome to the 1980s.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

News Flash:

In two starts, LHP Chris Sale has struck out 15 over 11 innings but still doesn’t have a win (or a loss, but that’s not the narrative). The Red Sox are keeping his early season pitch count down – as they are with David Price – in hopes they’ll be stronger and effective at the end part of the season/playoffs.

How does Nick stretch this oft-told tale of Spring 2018 into 500+ words? It’s the miracle of the (pant)loads and wishes.

Nick: Tired, superficial information you’ve read or heard many times before, days earlier. Is he moving to BSJ anytime soon?

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Come for the rooftop vegetable garden, stay for the creme brulee french toast #MyFenway “Kennedy and Evans joined chairman Tom Werner for a taste of the new concession offerings, from “Jane Dough” cookie dough ice cream to crème brûlée French toast. “

Not that I’d go anywhere near either of those dishes, but you have to admire the Sox’ control of their own narrative. No story ever points out which taste treats are only available in the EMC Club or State Street Pavilion. The rest of us non-corporate customers still get overpriced beer and yesterday’s hot dogs.

Can a BarnicleonBaseball.com “think piece” of the joys of Fenway Creme Brule be on the horizon? Does he slurp it down in his bleacher seats?

Hacksaw
    Participant

I would like two Coors Lights a steak sandwich and a steak sandwich and keep $10.00 for yourself please  charge it to the Underhill’s….I mean the Drinkwater’s tab.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by  Hacksaw.

Lebron
    Participant

It looks like saying that new ESPN morning show was going to be a complete disaster was giving it way too much credit. I heard a couple of clips and it seems to be an excruciating watch. The show punishes you for watching. So that’s a nice spend of $40-50 million or so.

No kidding.  My kids still throw on SportsCenter during breakfast, so they threw it on regular ESPN  and my oldest said ‘what is this?’ at an admirable level of disgust.

Participant

Buck, you are to stupid to understand, it’s not even worth trying to explain the differences to you…..

“Imagine: The Pats landed a first-round pick for Cooks, and only a second-round pick last year for quarterback-in-waiting Jimmy Garoppolo”

It all comes back to ancient baseball history.

“But there is a Bill Belichick Way, which isn’t much different than the Branch Rickey Way when it comes to player movement. ”

They just write it off…

“As for holding onto Gronk because he’s part of some kind of quarterback/tight end package, or to keep Brady happy, sorry, it doesn’t work that way. Garoppolo was one thing; Brady wanted to keep playing, and so the kid had to go. (go = be given away.) ”

He left out the one group of people that really wants a warmer, fuzzier Bill.

“Players and fans can hope for Belichick to get warmer, fuzzier and have more fun, etc., but the business side of the guy is always going to be made of stone.”

Lefty

It really is impressive how those manipulative fucks who own the Red Sox get huge amounts of free press out of the local media on a routine basis.   All day today, tv news and ‘BZ radio have been breathlessly pimping “all of the changes” to Friendly Fenway this year, with new menu items, new standing areas and turf on the field that is in great shape!   They are reporting it over and over again as it if is news and not a full on commercial.

Lefty

Pats need linebackers and linemen.   Their four picks in the first and second round put them in a real nice position to hit those areas hard.  Total cost of all four players for this year will be less than Cooks was due this year.   It may be just that simple.    They like the guy, but they have pressing needs in other areas, they could turn him into a pick in an area they feel will allow them to get what they need and they cut cap.   That’s all.

Participant

It really is impressive how those manipulative fucks who own the Red Sox get huge amounts of free press out of the local media on a routine basis. All day today, tv news and ‘BZ radio have been breathlessly pimping “all of the changes” to Friendly Fenway this year, with new menu items, new standing areas and turf on the field that is in great shape! They are reporting it over and over again as it if is news and not a full on commercial.

That’s Breathless Mahoney’s specialty from 5-10 AM.  Starbucks press releases and youtube puppy videos.

Rickkyboy
    Participant

I was wondering why sports center was on ESPN2.  :blink:

TwoTimes
    Participant

No kidding. My kids still throw on SportsCenter during breakfast, so they threw it on regular ESPN and my oldest said ‘what is this?’ at an admirable level of disgust.

Does the Greenberg show directly compete with the Golic one now?

Lefty

Why did ESPN decide it is in the Greenberg business and just keep pushing that guy as if he is someone/something anyone would care about?   They’ve been at it for years.

jforb
    Participant

+18 to 7949 presumably from the trade. If Bill turns over the roster three times this month, that might push towards sustainable.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Howe moved from the Herald to the Atlantic.

chicowalker
    Participant

If when BSJ goes tits up, will Ironhead be like Patton at the end of WW2? :ohmy:   :lol:

Lebron
    Participant

No kidding. My kids still throw on SportsCenter during breakfast, so they threw it on regular ESPN and my oldest said ‘what is this?’ at an admirable level of disgust.

Does the Greenberg show directly compete with the Golic one now?

Golic/Wingo on 6-10 on ESPNNews and simulcast on radio

Greenberg on ESPN from 7-10

Claude45
    Participant

Why did ESPN decide it is in the Greenberg business and just keep pushing that guy as if he is someone/something anyone would care about? They’ve been at it for years.

It’s unfathomable that at any time someone could think that Greenberg was the guy to lead this show. He’s as untalented, milquetoast and bland as they come. I’m looking forward to the panicky attempt to generate some buzz with an embarrassing, over the top, edgy hottake from Greenberg.

Lebron
    Participant

Why did ESPN decide it is in the Greenberg business and just keep pushing that guy as if he is someone/something anyone would care about? They’ve been at it for years.

Weird how businesses decide who to go all in on and die on hills promoting shitty careers.  I remember reading Keith Richards’s book and he talked about the ’80s riff between him and Mick largely started over Mick going solo and CBS Records blowing a shit ton thinking Mick was going to be a huge solo act.  Who wants Mick Jagger solo over him being in the Stones?  That’s the thinking of a mental patient.  Naturally it blew up in their faces.  Hopefully the same happens to espn.

Suzy
    Participant

It’s unfathomable that at any time someone could think that Greenberg was the guy to lead this show. He’s as untalented, milquetoast and bland as they come. I’m looking forward to the panicky attempt to generate some buzz with an embarrassing, over the top, edgy hottake from Greenberg.

Can’t imagine that happening. The edgiest he ever got was confronting Golic as to why there are no pictures of the two of them together in his home.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Greenberg is still there because “Sad Jets Fan” is one of their token diversity positions.

Coma
    Participant

Pats need linebackers and linemen. Their four picks in the first and second round put them in a real nice position to hit those areas hard. Total cost of all four players for this year will be less than Cooks was due this year. It may be just that simple. They like the guy, but they have pressing needs in other areas, they could turn him into a pick in an area they feel will allow them to get what they need and they cut cap. That’s all.

The optimistic fanboy in me hopes that they use all 4 picks in the first 2 rounds this year and all four turn out to be at least solid contributors, if not better. I know that that scenario is unlikely to unfold, that there will be trades and they’ll probably end up drafting 2 players in the first two rounds. I also know that the folks in Gillette know a heck of a lot more about what the team needs and the best way to construct the roster, so I can live with waiting around for pick #23 only to find out it’s been traded if that’s what’s best for the team. Next year, though, they’ll have <insert team that will probably suck>’s first round pick and will be poised to clean up in the 2019 draft.  :smile:

Callahardfoul
    Participant

My feelings on Mike & Mike are pretty clear. That was the worst show I have ever seen or heard.

Golic & Wingo is a lot worse.

The new Greenberg abortion* looks to be the worst of all.

* Not a terrible band name

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by  Callahardfoul.

jforb
    Participant

Hell of a backup plan Ozzie.

Kevin
    Participant

Hell of a backup plan Ozzie.

RG3? :lol:

Board meme Jimmy Clausen will start another NFL game before Kaepernick does.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Subway had quite a run of spokes people back in the day…Jared Fogel…RG3. They would probably have hired the bat-shit crazy youtube shooter given the chance.

Participant

Subway had quite a run of spokes people back in the day…Jared Fogel…RG3. They would probably have hired the bat-shit crazy youtube shooter given the chance.

See the source image

Ironhead
    Participant

If when BSJ goes tits up, will Ironhead be like Patton at the end of WW2? :ohmy: 😆

Chico, you almost make me feel bad about my hyperlocal jihad.  Almost.

chicowalker
    Participant

If when BSJ goes tits up, will Ironhead be like Patton at the end of WW2? :ohmy: 😆

Chico, you almost make me feel bad about my hyperlocal jihad. Almost.

Not my intention, I assure you.  You’re doing the Lord’s work, I’m just worried :lol:

And I meant only the part of Patton that was restless and wanted to attack Russia, not this:

Lebron
    Participant

So the Rams are currently over the 2018 cap and they are already talking a Cooks extension and still need to sign Donald after 2018.

Wait, what was that middle part, about a ‘salary cap’?

BrianInLA
    Participant

I’ve been trying to find any info locally about how the Rams are going to fit this all star team under the cap. Not a mention with most of them.  This is going to go quite well I predict.

Participant

I’ve been trying to find any info locally about how the Rams are going to fit this all star team under the cap. Not a mention with most of them. This is going to go quite well I predict.

“We’ve decided to waive the cap in the case of the Rams, it’ll get us to $25 billion quicker.” Roger Goodell sometime down the road.

The move is than approved 32-0 by the owners and Robert gets 1st pick of bachelor washouts to bang.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I think the Rams will have something like 80 million in Cap space next year but will also have a a bunch of contracts that expire (Donald, Suh, Cooks) and others jump in value (Gurley, Peters). They are getting lucky in the sense they they are paying Goff chump change to be their QB but as we saw with Seattle once his rookie deal is up and he gets paid things can go south quick. They are using these moves to sell PSL’s and Luxury Boxes in that fancy new stadium. Problem is if they are not very careful and smart they will be a 5-11 team in salary cap hell what the place opens.

So the Rams are currently over the 2018 cap and they are already talking a Cooks extension and still need to sign Donald after 2018. Wait, what was that middle part, about a ‘salary cap’?

I picture McVay leaving Snead hanging whenever he wants the high five after each and every trivial acquisition. Fisher never left Les hanging.

The optimistic fanboy in me hopes that they use all 4 picks in the first 2 rounds this year and all four turn out to be at least solid contributors, if not better. I know that that scenario is unlikely to unfold, that there will be trades and they’ll probably end up drafting 2 players in the first two rounds.

Them using all the picks is more exciting, but truthfully, I prefer when they keep the top one in each round and trade the second one for higher picks the following year. It pissed fans off, but the end result was they kept drafting higher than their initial draft slot (and often gained picks). It effectively defeated the institutional draft punishment for success.

Lebron
    Participant

I still can’t get past that game where McVay was off by himself doing whatever the fuck he was doing while the game was being played.  Like one of those inept presidents you see on countless tv shows that have to clear the room to think during a crisis.  Odd and sad.

I bet Fisher and Snead cosplayed Miami Vice. And I bet they fought each time for who got to be Crockett. And then the anal sex.

Lebron
    Participant

Speaking of anal, Powder’s kickball team smoking Manchester City 3-0 in Champions League play.  Pizutti might have to perform if he isn’t asleep by 8.

Participant

Was that wrong?

WASHINGTON — A Navy chaplain was fired last month from his post at a Marine Corps command after he was caught on video having sex with a woman at a pub in New Orleans, USA TODAY has learned.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar