Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 04/16/2018 Patriots Day Thread

This topic contains 77 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  Norwood Zip 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 78 total)
  • Author

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Bway-nos tahrd-es, amigos!

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

The Angels’ rainout at Kansas City yesterday means that the Red Sox will face Pitcher Ohtani tomorrow night in Anaheim.

Coma
    Participant

You know what? I don’t even care about spring any more. Keep this crappy weather going until June and I’ll save money on lawn care and time on cancelled little league games.

Okay, maybe that’s the sleet talking.

chicowalker
    Participant

“I am highly frustrated and agitated. When you don’t have a big name—I played two years, and I wasn’t any good, and I couldn’t stay healthy—if you don’t have a Hall of Fame jacket it’s hard to get a high-level job calling games in our industry.”

—Mike Mayock, to SportsRadio 610 in Houston, on his feelings about not being considered for NFL game analyst jobs.

:lol:There are what, 15 of these jobs? And they are generally held on to like grim death? And you suck? Winning formula

chicowalker
    Participant

Dick Hammer, the late grandfather of Sam Darnold, once played the Marlboro Man in print ads and billboards across the United States.

The Marlboro Man is one of the most famous images in advertising history. Several ruggedly handsome men played the part in the seventies and eighties in the ads. They were shown smoking a Marlboro cigarette and wearing a Cowboy hat.

The first part of that is fantastic, irrespective of fatty.  That the Marlboro man was named Dick Hammer…c’mon

the second part is peak fatty.  Tells us something we all know- the marlboro man is famous- and then proceeds to dumb it down

In 1983 Michael Jackson was the most dominant force in pop culture.  Jackson was a popular singer and performer, and in 1983 he released “Thriller”, one of the highest selling albums of all time.  Several of the songs on “Thriller”- such as “Billie Jean”, “Beat It”, and “Thriller” (both the song and album title), reached the top of the billboard chart, which measured both sales and radio airplay.  Also, there were videos of said songs in heavy rotation on burgeoning cable channel MTV, an acronym for “Music Television”  :weei:  

InThisTown
    Participant

This is so fucking shitty and not funny.

http://proxy.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/030418

chicowalker
    Participant

This is so fucking shitty and not funny. http://proxy.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/030418

oof.  David Brent would cringe.

Speaking of Sgal, anyone catch his dad in the stands after Rozier’s three yesterday?

Participant

Who did he ask Peter?

“I have my thoughts about it, because I was out there putting my blood, sweat and tears on the field that night, and one of our best players wasn’t on the field. To tell you the truth, I don’t know why. I did ask, but I didn’t get any answers.”

—Former Patriots wide receiver Danny Amendola, now a Dolphin, to Mike Reiss of ESPN.com, on the absence of Malcolm Butler in the 41–33 Super Bowl loss to Philadelphia.

Can a player come closer than Amendola just did to saying, “What the hell was Bill Belichick doing that night?” I don’t think so.

The Marlboro man has been out of business since ’99 – don’t let that slow you down Peter.

Dick Hammer, the late grandfather of Sam Darnold, once played the Marlboro Man in print ads and billboards across the United States.

The Marlboro Man is one of the most famous images in advertising history. Several ruggedly handsome men played the part in the seventies and eighties in the ads. They were shown smoking a Marlboro cigarette and wearing a Cowboy hat.

Of course it’s a good idea – the league thought of it.

I think the draft in Texas will have one particularly distinctive feature, which NFL director of special events Peter O’Reilly described for our Tim Rohan: “We’re taking a page from the political convention playbook, if you will, of creating team delegations, which we’re calling ‘The Inner Circle.’ So on the floor of the field of the draft, right in front of the stage, each team will have a delegation of 50 fans who will represent them. You’ll see them quite a bit during the draft coverage.” That’s an interesting concept. But I would wonder this: What do you do with the Rams delegation, which won’t have a pick on Thursday night, and won’t pick Friday night till late in the third round? Or Houston, which goes pick-less in rounds one and two? And the other team, Kansas City, with no picks in round one? Bring some coffee for them.

:pk: Fatty Fingerwave :pk:   BONUS: Of course the Giants and Steelers do things the right way. 

Follow the idea of six NFL teams, such as the Giants and Steelers: Don’t have cheerleaders. I never go to a game in Pittsburgh and hear anyone say: “I wish we had scantily clad women on our sidelines yelling things no one can hear.”

“We’ve got to protect our phony baloney jobs.”

Newspapers are important, folks. We need to help save them.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

The C in ‘cowboy hat’ shouldn’t be capitalized. Unless it refers to the football team, which it doesn’t.  :dry:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Participant

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Because I’m pretty sure Hammerdick wasn’t wearing one of these while sucking down lung darts:

InThisTown
    Participant

I forgot how much Simmons hates women. I mean in a non “my wife can’t load the dishwasher or troubleshoot a bad WiFi connection” kind of way.

Hacksaw
    Participant

You know what? I don’t even care about spring any more. Keep this crappy weather going until June and I’ll save money on lawn care and time on cancelled little league games. Okay, maybe that’s the sleet talking.

I ended up coaching a little league team my son is not on, big mistake. I got Joe Kerrigan(ed) yesterday while doing a pitching change, my assistant reversed my changes by putting the pitcher I just yanked back on the mound while I was reporting the change to the other team and umpire. The pitcher was crying, pouting, and having fits of rage I was pulling him for attitude and plus the four walks in a row. I ask my assistant why he did that “The kid needs to bulldog it.” This isn’t the movies dickhead you got the kids dad ready to kill the kid on how he is acting and performing out there and I could get kicked out of the game for this move. I told the umpire and other teams coach “My idiot assistant just reversed all the changes I just reported to you. Without causing a scene its 10-0 we are losing if we comeback and you protest I will back up that we messed up.”

This morning, I basically resigned

Major Intangibles
    Participant

I forgot how much Simmons hates women. I mean in a non “my wife can’t load the dishwasher or troubleshoot a bad WiFi connection” kind of way.

Normally, this calls for an ‘everyone forgets this’, but instead, a Rap Sheet ‘whoa’ seems more fitting.  :blink:

Kevin
    Participant

Big day on the BSMW Calendar:

Belichick’s birthday and Tom Brady Drafted Day.

chicowalker
    Participant

He “goggled” female runners from his dad’s house

bagsofsand.jpg

rclane
    Participant

Simmons claims both Wellesley College, mile 12, route 135, and his Dad’s house, route 16, are the midway point in the same column.

Kevin
    Participant

I’d imagine that five years now of not being able to complain about Marathon traffic is killing Howie Carr and Gerry Callahan.

chicowalker
    Participant

He also asks the reader to look closely at a picture (of he and his wife while she is exhausted from running and he’s eating lunch) that’s not included in the article

I’d kill for there to be video of the writer’s room at Kimmell where they finally had enough of him before he was canned. Carolla still had his fastball then, he must have shit on Simmons’ ideas daily

Coma
    Participant

I meant to ask this yesterday based on Rikkyboy’s OP, but it’s still timely with the Simmons posts today: Did Simmons popularize the use of the “It might have got a little dusty in the room during…” phrase? I’m sure he borrowed it from a movie, TV show or another columnist, but he’s the first person I remember regularly using that.

GusChiggins
    Participant

“Don’t all the women run at the beginning with the wheelchair people?”

Guy was writing for a late night talk show at the time.  :blink:

TwoTimes
    Participant

You know what? I don’t even care about spring any more. Keep this crappy weather going until June and I’ll save money on lawn care and time on cancelled little league games. Okay, maybe that’s the sleet talking.

I ended up coaching a little league team my son is not on, big mistake. I got Joe Kerrigan(ed) yesterday while doing a pitching change, my assistant reversed my changes by putting the pitcher I just yanked back on the mound while I was reporting the change to the other team and umpire. The pitcher was crying, pouting, and having fits of rage I was pulling him for attitude and plus the four walks in a row. I ask my assistant why he did that “The kid needs to bulldog it.” This isn’t the movies dickhead you got the kids dad ready to kill the kid on how he is acting and performing out there and I could get kicked out of the game for this move. I told the umpire and other teams coach “My idiot assistant just reversed all the changes I just reported to you. Without causing a scene its 10-0 we are losing if we comeback and you protest I will back up that we messed up.” This morning, I basically resigned

I will only coach another youth team again if it’s comprised of nothing but orphans.

Rickkyboy
    Participant

I meant to ask this yesterday based on Rikkyboy’s OP, but it’s still timely with the Simmons posts today: Did Simmons popularize the use of the “It might have got a little dusty in the room during…” phrase? I’m sure he borrowed it from a movie, TV show or another columnist, but he’s the first person I remember regularly using that.

If that’s the case. I retract the OP from the weekend. Replace “it got dusty” with “I got choked up” :smile:

Lebron
    Participant

They were shown smoking a Marlboro cigarette and wearing a Cowboy hat.

Two sentences prior he tells you its one of the most famous ad campaigns in history, yet still feels the need to explain to you people what it was, seeing as there’s a pretty good chance you’re too stupid and uncultured to know.

Humphrey
    Participant

I ended up coaching a little league team my son is not on, big mistake. I got Joe Kerrigan(ed) yesterday while doing a pitching change, my assistant reversed my changes by putting the pitcher I just yanked back on the mound while I was reporting the change to the other team and umpire. The pitcher was crying, pouting, and having fits of rage I was pulling him for attitude and plus the four walks in a row. I ask my assistant why he did that “The kid needs to bulldog it.” This isn’t the movies dickhead you got the kids dad ready to kill the kid on how he is acting and performing out there and I could get kicked out of the game for this move. I told the umpire and other teams coach “My idiot assistant just reversed all the changes I just reported to you. Without causing a scene its 10-0 we are losing if we comeback and you protest I will back up that we messed up.” This morning, I basically resigned

Not sure how old your kids are but wait until they are done playing and you look back on some of the lunacy that we all had to put up with.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar