Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 04/16/2018 Patriots Day Thread

This topic contains 77 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  Norwood Zip 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 78 total)
  • Author

Coma
    Participant

The C in ‘cowboy hat’ shouldn’t be capitalized. Unless it refers to the football team, which it doesn’t. :dry:

In his commencement speech*, PK told the graduates the importance of proofreading you work and that there was no excuse for typos or grammatical errors. Apparently, that’s one of those “Do as I say” things for Dr. King.

Anyway, wouldn’t it be more clear to say that the Marlboro man was dressed as a cowboy? Just saying he wore a cowboy hat leaves to possibility that he wore the hat and, say, a three piece suit.

*He actually delivered the speech twice due to split graduation ceremonies. This is one of those “journalistic trenches” examples that Bob Ryan refers to.

Chief
    Participant

You know what? I don’t even care about spring any more. Keep this crappy weather going until June and I’ll save money on lawn care and time on cancelled little league games. Okay, maybe that’s the sleet talking.

I ended up coaching a little league team my son is not on, big mistake. I got Joe Kerrigan(ed) yesterday while doing a pitching change, my assistant reversed my changes by putting the pitcher I just yanked back on the mound while I was reporting the change to the other team and umpire. The pitcher was crying, pouting, and having fits of rage I was pulling him for attitude and plus the four walks in a row. I ask my assistant why he did that “The kid needs to bulldog it.” This isn’t the movies dickhead you got the kids dad ready to kill the kid on how he is acting and performing out there and I could get kicked out of the game for this move. I told the umpire and other teams coach “My idiot assistant just reversed all the changes I just reported to you. Without causing a scene its 10-0 we are losing if we comeback and you protest I will back up that we messed up.” This morning, I basically resigned

Good for you.  This is why I don’t take assistant coaches when I coach my youngest girl’s basketball team.

It’s also why I coach my girl’s basketball team.  I got roped into being an assistant on the older one’s team about 5 years ago, and could barely contain myself from criticizing the coach’s behavior and substitution patterns, so decided that rather than bitch about it, I should just do it myself, even if everything I know about basketball came from casually watching the ’80s Celtics.

b. Follow the idea of six NFL teams, such as the Giants and Steelers: Don’t have cheerleaders. I never go to a game in Pittsburgh and hear anyone say: “I wish we had scantily clad women on our sidelines yelling things no one can hear.”

c. Or do what the Packers do: Have college cheerleading squads—traditional cheerleaders from local schools—cheer at the games.

Truly: I’ve never heard fans say that cheerleaders make a significant difference in the fan experience at a game.

Don’t have cheerleaders. Do have cheerleaders, but younger ones. Don’t have cheerleaders. Go tit.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Gee, I wonder why he singles out the Giants and Steelers.

Claude45
    Participant

b. Follow the idea of six NFL teams, such as the Giants and Steelers: Don’t have cheerleaders. I never go to a game in Pittsburgh and hear anyone say: “I wish we had scantily clad women on our sidelines yelling things no one can hear.” c. Or do what the Packers do: Have college cheerleading squads—traditional cheerleaders from local schools—cheer at the games. Truly: I’ve never heard fans say that cheerleaders make a significant difference in the fan experience at a game.

Don’t have cheerleaders. Do have cheerleaders, but younger ones. Don’t have cheerleaders. Go tit.

So is this creep telling us, if you’re going to have cheerleaders, make sure they’re scantly clad high school girls instead of grown women? Because that’s what I’m hearing Petey say.

Hacksaw
    Participant

You know what? I don’t even care about spring any more. Keep this crappy weather going until June and I’ll save money on lawn care and time on cancelled little league games. Okay, maybe that’s the sleet talking.

I ended up coaching a little league team my son is not on, big mistake. I got Joe Kerrigan(ed) yesterday while doing a pitching change, my assistant reversed my changes by putting the pitcher I just yanked back on the mound while I was reporting the change to the other team and umpire. The pitcher was crying, pouting, and having fits of rage I was pulling him for attitude and plus the four walks in a row. I ask my assistant why he did that “The kid needs to bulldog it.” This isn’t the movies dickhead you got the kids dad ready to kill the kid on how he is acting and performing out there and I could get kicked out of the game for this move. I told the umpire and other teams coach “My idiot assistant just reversed all the changes I just reported to you. Without causing a scene its 10-0 we are losing if we comeback and you protest I will back up that we messed up.” This morning, I basically resigned

Not sure how old your kids are but wait until they are done playing and you look back on some of the lunacy that we all had to put up with.

They are 10U. My buddy( who is on the league board) needed help running his second team so I told him I would help. Basically at the end of this season that second team will no longer exist. Joe Kerrigan  who my buddy was merging his team with was supposed to have had told some of those kids they were cut, but never did so my buddy had to create a whole second team because the parents thought they were on the team and never went to any other tryouts.  After yesterday they know who the problem is.

I am an assistant for my son’s team(11U he is playing up), so I had the built in out clause that his schedule prevails. The play that has made me laugh the most this season is my son was the batter on a suicide squeeze the bunt went down perfectly, the catcher fielded the ball to tag the runner the ump called the runner out….problem was the runner was actually the third baseman charging after the bunt. The runner never left third base.

Lastly there is a team(Bombers they were in USA today) out here in DFW. They fly 10 and 11 yo olds in to play they win all the time, but the word is the money from that is from the peeler joints and they have a dwarf third base coach when he is not doing parking at AT&T stadium he wrestles strippers at one of the museums.

Sorry to get deep in kids baseball on this page.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Packers use high school cheerleaders? Mark Chmura approves!

jforb
    Participant

Guy was writing for a late night talk show at the time.

I’m assuming he actually only wrote for like a week and they kept him around to know which of the real writer’s jokes to reject.

Does he still write anymore? I know a site with 8075 subscribers that could use a bit of a boost.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

The C in ‘cowboy hat’ shouldn’t be capitalized. Unless it refers to the football team, which it doesn’t. :dry:

Anyway, wouldn’t it be more clear to say that the Marlboro man was dressed as a cowboy? Just saying he wore a cowboy hat leaves to possibility that he wore the hat and, say, a  three piece suit. thong, fish nets and high heeled shoes.

:lol: (Not that there is anything wrong with it.)  :lol:

Packers use high school cheerleaders? Mark Chmura approves!

It’s a shame Twitter wasn’t around to detail all those Favre-Chmura Wisconsin hunting trips.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I like road races that build up America:  Desiree Linden of the U.S. wins women’s division of Boston Marathon.  Link.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Good for you. This is why I don’t take assistant coaches when I coach my youngest girl’s basketball team. It’s also why I coach my girl’s basketball team. I got roped into being an assistant on the older one’s team about 5 years ago, and could barely contain myself from criticizing the coach’s behavior and substitution patterns, so decided that rather than bitch about it, I should just do it myself, even if everything I know about basketball came from casually watching the ’80s Celtics.

Same thing here.  I got involved because I didn’t want to be the one in the stands listening to the obvious. I figure on the other side of the fence I can at least help out instead of being part of the noise.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Bears got rid of their cheerleaders after ’85 and haven’t won a thing since.

Should be the kind of useless factoid Fatty loves.

Lebron
    Participant

I’ve never heard anyone say they wish they had a baseball hit by Miguel Tejada either.

Kevin
    Participant

Participant

It’s extremely complex, trying to decipher what one said to the other on twitter on instagram – like sending a man to the moon.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

So Len is saying Belichick is “Dun!”? :lol:

Big Fat O
    Participant

Who cares if Brady and Gronk don’t attend. They’ll be ready when it’s time to go.

Unfortunately it just gives Felger et al more fuel to the fire.

jforb
    Participant

Is he really arguing that Belichick hasn’t dealt with change in 18 years?

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Aside from Larry’s artistic shortcomings, there’s nothing wrong with this one. Maybe the runner should be going left to right, to echo running west to east, but that’s grading on a very steep curve.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Participant

“90 seconds, no commercials – the 2 winter teams just started their playoff runs, the baseball team is off to a start that no one thought possible, but first Big Jim and a 7th grade tween girl will breakdown/interpret all of the instagram and snapchat posts of patriots and former patriots. 98.5 the sports hub.”

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  02062.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Great corporate speak, Len. Just mange change and print the tickets!!

chicowalker
    Participant

Ask is a verb, not a noun.  Hopefully the draft will help us “right-size” our roster. I don’t know what a paradigm is.  Anything else?

Participant

The Menace, Trenni, Stearns, and now the Barnicle Bros. – anyone can win a local emmy.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Ask is a verb, not a noun. Hopefully the draft will help us “right-size” our roster. I don’t know what a paradigm is. Anything else?

Rack and stack it!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar