Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 04/16/2018 Patriots Day Thread

This topic contains 77 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  Norwood Zip 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 51 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Author

Participant

Rack and stack it!

I don’t think those are Linda’s kids names – wait, what?

Lebron
    Participant

Bill the Manager is killing Bill the Leader!

Kevin
    Participant

I feel like Len was making that Don Shula comparison in like 2005. :lol:

From Wickersham’s bullshit article in January:

The meeting ended with a clear mandate to Belichick: trade Garoppolo because he would not be in the team’s long-term plans, and then, once again, find the best quarterback in the draft and develop him. Belichick was furious and demoralized, according to friends. But in the end, he did what he asks of his players and coaches: He did his job.

“Find the best quarterback in the draft and develop him.”

So if Belichick – as the narrative goes – was truly trading Garoppolo under orders from Kraft, and purposely, spitefully doing it for pennies on the dollar, then to complete the second part of his order from Kraft,  he will be drafting a quarterback high in the draft.

I always thought the day Kraft dictated football decisions would be the day Belichick quit. BB may very well draft a QB. It would be logical to do so. But if he doesn’t,  would that be defying Kraft in Wickersham’s narrative? Or further proving Wickersham’s full of shit?

Callahardfoul
    Participant

2 things:

Can’t play better defense than Horford did on Antetokounmpo yesterday. I don’t care if he had 30+ points.  What Horford did was incredible.

This Gronk and Brady thing kills me. It legitimately pains me to keep reading about it. But, if the time has come to move on from one or both of them, then I’m comfortable that Belichick will find a way to do so. Taking all relevant factors into consideration, I would argue that Brady is the greatest american professional athlete and Gronk is a top-3 non-qb of all time.  That said, Belichick is going to make the right decision, whatever it is.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by  Callahardfoul.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Ralphie Valladares!  Trying for a third page.

Coma
    Participant

Still annoying.

Let’s pretend Belichick has lost his touch just like Shula. When exactly did Shula’s “shelf life” start to expire, though? Was it after he lost his last Super Bowl appearance in 1984? Shula coached another decade after that. If Belichick and Don are the same, then we really won’t know for sure that Bill has lost it until the 2028 season. I was going to say maybe Belichick only gets 5 more years, but he’s been a lot more successful than Shula when Don still had “it,” so I can’t see how Bill gets a shorter leash.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I still cant grasp fans complaining about a coach who has lead his team to 7 straight conference championship games in any sport, in any city in the world. I can MAYBE see if he lead them to 7 straight 12 or 15 years ago and you could say “Ok, maybe he’s slowing down….”. But they just played in the super bowl. Again. A few months ago. Does no one remember? And do any of these idiots actually think anyone available could do better? Is Josh the answer now to these morons? Really?

Participant

All those AFC East titles Don won weren’t referred to as tomato cans I bet.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I still cant grasp fans complaining about a coach who has lead his team to 7 straight conference championship games in any sport, in any city in the world. I can MAYBE see if he lead them to 7 straight 12 or 15 years ago and you could say “Ok, maybe he’s slowing down….”. But they just played in the super bowl. Again. A few months ago. Does no one remember? And do any of these idiots actually think anyone available could do better? Is Josh the answer now to these morons? Really?

Brady scores a TD on that last drive instead of being strip-sacked, and nobody is talking about any of this. It’s Grade-A bullshit.

Coma
    Participant

The meeting ended with a clear mandate to Belichick: trade Garoppolo because he would not be in the team’s long-term plans, and then, once again, find the best quarterback in the draft and develop him. Belichick was furious and demoralized, according to friends. But in the end, he did what he asks of his players and coaches: He did his job.

“Find the best quarterback in the draft and develop him.” So if Belichick – as the narrative goes – was truly trading Garoppolo under orders from Kraft, and purposely, spitefully doing it for pennies on the dollar, then to complete the second part of his order from Kraft, he will be drafting a quarterback high in the draft. I always thought the day Kraft dictated football decisions would be the day Belichick quit. BB may very well draft a QB. It would be logical to do so. But if he doesn’t, would that be defying Kraft in Wickersham’s narrative? Or further proving Wickersham’s full of shit?

I’m sure we’ve gone through this before, but doesn’t this storyline fall apart when you try to apply common sense to it? I don’t have a problem with the premise:

Belichick has had the greatest QB of all time for 15+ years and feels he’s found a suitable replacement in Jimmy G. He’s then told to keep Brady and to move Garoppolo.

I can see Belichick being displeased with this set of events. He’s ready to move on with a younger QB (who it took him a while to find) and enjoy another decade with a dominant team. After that, the narrative starts to make less and less sense. Belichick is told to find another QB to replace Brady, but Belichick then handicaps himself in this goal by not maximizing Jimmy G’s trade value. It would be easier to find the “best quarterback in the draft” if the Patriots received a first round pick or multiple 2nd round picks for Garoppolo. It’s not like Belichick made the trade and then quit, leaving the team trying to find Brady’s successor with less draft capital to do it with. It’s nonsensical that he knowingly screwed himself and the team’s future.

If we follow Wickersham’s thinking, Belichick is unhappy that he had to unload Garoppolo and unhappy that Brady and Kraft made him do it. However, he made it more difficult to replace Brady, which is what he was trying to do with Jimmy G, because he willingly took less in return when trading Garoppolo. So, he’s still working on replacing Brady, but now he’s mad about it, but he can’t guarantee he’ll find a worthy successor because he made a trade out of spite. It’s making my head hurt to try and understand this, but I can see why it sells. People just go with what makes them happy – Patriots rift, anger, egos, feuding – and don’t think about the rest.

Humphrey
    Participant

Some UCLA deep pockets “fan” came up to John Wooden after his last game and said something to the effect of  “Great Job, John, especially after you let us down last year”.   In his case, “letting them down” was having the temerity to lose in the Final 4 after winning the previous 7 and 9 out of the last 10.

“Find the best quarterback in the draft and develop him.” So if Belichick – as the narrative goes – was truly trading Garoppolo under orders from Kraft, and purposely, spitefully doing it for pennies on the dollar, then to complete the second part of his order from Kraft, he will be drafting a quarterback high in the draft. I always thought the day Kraft dictated football decisions would be the day Belichick quit. BB may very well draft a QB. It would be logical to do so. But if he doesn’t, would that be defying Kraft in Wickersham’s narrative? Or further proving Wickersham’s full of shit?

If we follow Wickersham’s thinking, Belichick is unhappy that he had to unload Garoppolo and unhappy that Brady and Kraft made him do it. However, he made it more difficult to replace Brady, which is what he was trying to do with Jimmy G, because he willingly took less in return when trading Garoppolo.

Belichick the vindictive SOB is failing Belichick the GM

Some UCLA deep pockets “fan” came up to John Wooden after his last game and said something to the effect of “Great Job, John, especially after you let us down last year”. In his case, “letting them down” was having the temerity to lose in the Final 4 after winning the previous 7 and 9 out of the last 10.

That’s gotta be like a bajillion STANDARD DEVIATIONS.

Lebron
    Participant

I’m struggling thinking that Bill is unhappy that he was forced to keep the league MVP who threw for 500 in the Super Bowl instead of the other guy.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

I’m struggling thinking that Bill is unhappy that he was forced to keep the league MVP who threw for 500 in the Super Bowl instead of the other guy.

Can’t you see the man is sick and tired of sharing the limelight with Brady? Even today on his birthday, everyone’s all “memba when you drafted Tom Brady?” Bill needs to prove he can win on his own!!

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Lebron
    Participant

And I really don’t get all the angina over Garropolo.  Sure he looked good from what we saw of him, but so have countless guys in a number of sports in limited action and their careers were pedestrian at best.

Lebron
    Participant

Looks like Curran has a column or at least someone on Twitter is referring to it where other players are talking about the mean Patriots and how they’ve were treated.  They didn’t give me the contract they should have type stuff and when I wanted to talk contract they only brought up negative stuff.  Lou Gorman was doing that to Rich Gedman 30 years ago.

I’m a two time All Star!

Well you only made the team because someone got injured each time, so we don’t really consider that an All Star appearance.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Harry Anderson won’t be down to star in a Night Court reboot.

Lebron
    Participant

Of course Maguire has to ruin a good moment of Chara firing up his teammates with his usual bullshit

Feejis
    Participant

If we follow Wickersham’s thinking, Belichick is unhappy that he had to unload Garoppolo and unhappy that Brady and Kraft made him do it. However, he made it more difficult to replace Brady, which is what he was trying to do with Jimmy G, because he willingly took less in return when trading Garoppolo.

Belichick the vindictive SOB is failing Belichick the GM

He’s so vindictive and petty that he’d cut off his nose to spite his face. It’s amazing how difficult it is to convince people that doesn’t make a lick of sense.

Big Fat O
    Participant

I’m not buying Kraft forced BBto do anything. He could have kept Jimmy and took a chance he got nothing at the end of the season.

No one can accept the fact Jimmy wanted to play and wasn’t holding a clipboard any more. If they franchised Jimmy who’s going to trade for him at 20 mil for 6 qtrs of play.

BB realizes at 40 Brady gives him a better chance to win than Jimmy.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Two posts in 15 seconds.  Good grief.

Feejis
    Participant

Looks like Curran has a column or at least someone on Twitter is referring to it where other players are talking about the mean Patriots and how they’ve were treated. They didn’t give me the contract they should have type stuff and when I wanted to talk contract they only brought up negative stuff. Lou Gorman was doing that to Rich Gedman 30 years ago. I’m a two time All Star! Well you only made the team because someone got injured each time, so we don’t really consider that an All Star appearance.

Curran really showing his douche bonafides lately. Anyone who dares question his constant off the record innuendo gets the treatment.

jforb
    Participant

B8B: 8:59 and 9:01 is more than 15 seconds Yahtzee

Lebron
    Participant

Eh, Anderson made a few out of his mind saves, they hit a few posts/crossbars.  Fuck the Leafs

jforb
    Participant

Got the goal from the refs helping the Leafs out of the way too.

Norwood Zip
    Participant

TEC once told a radio show he couldn’t see himself tearing apart the Sox rotation for fours a day in mid may or some such.

Trying interpret/put your spin on tweets and instagram posts for 3 hours a night on tv  is an entirely different thing.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by  Norwood Zip.
Viewing 28 posts - 51 through 78 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar