Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 04/27-05-03/2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Lebron
    Participant

2 QBs and a TE in UDFA.  The crazies must be beside themselves

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

WHAT WE HEAR: This is a historically deep WR class
    WHAT WE THINK: We’ll definitely draft one or two!
    WHAT BILL THINKS: UDFA WRs will still give good value this year. Let’s use the draft picks to shore up other areas and sign five UDFAs.

In retrospect, we should have seen that coming!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Yahtzee
    Participant

Globe with an article on Things We Should Fix in Sports. Some are reasonable – let’s get rid of the chain gang and use technology to judge first downs. Some are provocative – let’s widen the NBA court by 6 feet and move out 3 point lines. Most are terrible – see Volin, KPD, Tara Sullivan and Himmelsbach.

Ideas

Participant

“Move the NFL extra points farther back. And, a wild one for the NFL, add a 3-point conversion that’s a 50-yard Hail Mary.”

Let’s bring in the rock and jock 50 point shot and Eddie’s fill the nets with chocolate pudding idea as well.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant
    chicowalker
    Participant

An out of the box thinker could bring in this guy as a consultant.  I’m sure he’s available

That jacket! He’d be right at home in that horror show of a picture where LJ is the lamb in the Sarandis/Smerlas  gyro :ohmy:

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by chicowalker.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Three point line should remain where it is, but only be worth 2.5 points.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Is LJ still alive?

Volin’s entire existence is to try to suss out a way to make any Patriots news negative. If there’s a possible way to spin it bad, Mittens will seize it.

But quarterback doesn’t seem so important to Bill Belichick and the Patriots this offseason. That, or they believe that Jarrett Stidham, last year’s fourth-round pick, is the next coming of Tom Brady.

Those are your only two options? Either Belichick doesn’t give a shit about the position or he thinks Stidham’s the second coming? No possibility for something between those obvious extremes?

Belichick didn’t sign a significant quarterback in free agency, and didn’t draft a quarterback last weekend with any of the Patriots’ 10 picks. Belichick passed on every player that was linked to the Patriots in the pre-draft process: Jordan Love, Jalen Hurts, Jacob Eason, Jake Fromm, and others. The Patriots even passed on the small-school guys from Day 3 of the draft.

The word “significant” does a lot of heavy lifting here. Sure, had they gone after Love or Hurts, that would have been significant. But had they drafted Eason or Fromm on day three, you know TBH here would still be writing the same article. Why would Volin see Eason in the fourth round this year as an improvement over Stidham in the fourth last year? Just more intellectual dishonesty to forward an agenda.

Don’t forget the Patriots have missed on several quarterbacks over the years, including third-rounders Ryan Mallett and Kevin O’Connell, and fourth-rounder Rohan Davey. The Patriots may like Stidham now, but they haven’t seen him actually play on Sundays yet.

Define “missed”. O’Connell was gone pretty quickly (although the fact that, like Kingsbury, he’s become a top coach in the NFL shows the intelligence the team identified in the player), but both Mallett and Davey put in good time as Brady’s backup, and Mallett played another four years after leaving New England. What was the expectation here, that they were going to beat out the best QB of all time?  Not to mention he has to reach all the way back to fucking Rohan Davey to make this ridiculous point? He just sidesteps Garoppolo and Brissett. Wasn’t there a gameday in the last couple years where four QBs the Patriots drafted were all starting?

If Stidham were to go down for a few weeks, the Patriots as currently constructed would have Hoyer as the starting quarterback. Hoyer is a great leader and mentor and is a perfect addition to the QB room, but he is on his 10th team in 12 years and hasn’t won a game since 2016. He should be nothing more than the Patriots’ No. 3 QB.

Now he’s underselling Hoyer. The reason Hoyer “hasn’t won a game since 1016” is he spent two seasons behind, again, the best QB of all time, and another season backing up somebody else the Patriots drafted.

Perhaps Belichick believes the best way to rebuild the Patriots is to try to recreate the 2001 team, which won a Super Bowl with a stout offensive line, a strong defense and smart, mistake-free quarterbacking. It’s not the most exciting football, but it can work.

Fuck you. That team was a blast to watch.

I just hope that Belichick’s decisions at quarterback aren’t being driven by ego. Now that Brady is gone, Belichick will be under a microscope to see if he can rebuild the Patriots again, and if he can be a consistent winner without Brady. Hopefully Belichick isn’t choosing Stidham just to prove to the world that he can win with any old quarterback.

Right, because that totally sounds like something he would do.

It’s fucking criminal that this is what the Globe offers up for Patriots coverage.

Participant

Who linked them Mittens?

The dopes in the media or the team?

“Belichick passed on every player that was linked to the Patriots in the pre-draft process:”

BrianInLA
    Participant

The stories write themselves. If Belichick selects the players the media thought then “Finally, Bill is admitting he doesn’t know how to draft and picked the logical choice…” and if he does what he did this time then its “Bill is arrogant and never learns his lesson and sucks at drafting because we don’t know any of these guys he picked…” Never once just assuming the guy with 50 years experience may know a tad more than they do about just about everything football related.

Here the media has actually tried to spin the Chargers selecting the cute Brady QB lookalike as a reason to get excited. #BoltUp

jforb
    Participant

I think rddug on the twitters Yahtzee, no wordpress linking.

Develin dun, Sony-haters rejoicing?

Participant

Develin retires – i’d vote for him before i voted for parcells.

Coma
    Participant

Develin retires – i’d vote for him before i voted for parcells.

Eventually, the media is going to rig it so the candidates are Parcells, Jon Vaughn and Zoltan Mesko. Then again, Vaughn did score that TD where he rolled into the end zone, so maybe that won’t even be a slam dunk for Parcells.

Coma
    Participant

Who linked them Mittens?

The dopes in the media or the team?

“Belichick passed on every player that was linked to the Patriots in the pre-draft process:”

Could the Patriots have drafted every player that was linked to them?

I used to think that the “How good can Belichick be? None of his former assistants have become great head coaches” argument was one of the most ridiculous one’s out there, but Volin’s “How good can the Patriot be at drafting QBs? Not all of their selections went on to be quality starters” is closing fast. While the Patriots can point to Hoyer, Brisset and Garoppolo as former backups who went on to be starters elsewhere, what successful backups have teams like the Saints, Packers, or Steelers produced over the same period?

Participant

Trading out of the 1st round,

Back to the 2nd for a D2 guy

This is a football town

That the Globe wishes it could shut down

2-14 – come 2-14

Come, 2-14! Come!

Everyday is like draft day

All the weaponz are old and gray

GusChiggins
    Participant

I hope Yahtzee has recovered from reading the semi critical Washington Post review of Mindy Kaling’s new show.

“it’s breezy, cheerful and not as good as it ought to be”

Yahtzee
    Participant

I hope Yahtzee has recovered from reading the semi critical Washington Post review of Mindy Kaling’s new show.

“it’s breezy, cheerful and not as good as it ought to be”

Could give rise to a hate feud between the Post and the Globe. Powder vs. Bezos.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Last year–or was it in 2018?–Mme CS went to the feature film that Kaling wrote and starred in with Emma Thompson as the late-night TV host from hell. Based on the reviews, she thought it was going to be an OK film.

It sucked.  Not breezy or cheerful, either.

NASCL
    Participant
    Yahtzee
    Participant

That’s disturbing.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

He’s the absolute worst. And his wife and kid were stuck in the house and had to listen to that? I suppose it’s no different than listening to him when the camera is off.

Coma
    Participant

The question “Who would you rather be quarantined with, Peter King or Joe Gill?” was asked a couple of weeks ago. At the time, I think I leaned toward Gill, but am now reconsidering my answer.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Verbally they’re each trying to out do each other in awfulness, but I’m certain Joe smells worse so I’d need to, reluctantly, go with Peter.

jforb
    Participant

I’ll take the ventilator

5 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar