Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 04/27-05-03/2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    BrianInLA
    Participant

Free fast food from places Joe has shamed on social media if you stay with him.

They’re equally putrid, but at least Fatty works, so you could count on several hours of the day that he’d be in another room taking calls. Gill would probably follow you all day, explaining “valuencing” and asking you for work.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

I’d grab my camping gear and move into the yard.  Shitting in a hole and showering with a garden hose outside has got to be preferable to sharing a bathroom with those two.  Kill some rabbits and squirrels.  Whatever it takes.

Participant

“I get it now:  1.  Nate Solder, Malcolm Butler, Danny Amendola & Dion Lewis were all terrible, 2.  and these foolish teams that hired them are making a big mistake in overpaying them.  3.  The Patriots are going to be just fine.  Nothing to see here.  4.  We all need to be patient and let Tom be Tom, and let 5.  Bill be the genius. Swell.”  Shank – St. Patrick’s Day 2018

1.  No they weren’t all terrible

2.  They were all overpaid.

3.  They won the Super Bowl

4 & 5.  Yes and Yes

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Nothing to see here quickie ruling on Brady going to Byron Leftwich’s house.  Just picking up the playbook.  Couldn’t have sent it electronically?So as soon as Brady leaves the Patriots, he gets treated like everyone else in the league who isn’t on the Patriots.  Weird how that works.

Humphrey
    Participant

Three point line should remain where it is, but only be worth 2.5 points.

5 for a 3 , 4 for a 2 , 2 for a foul shot. Then you don’t have to mess with the scoreboards.

And, yes, the game’s evolved because of math…a 3 is worth 50% more than a 2. Your way, it’s 25% more. Big difference.

chicowalker
    Participant

They’re equally putrid, but at least Fatty works, so you could count on several hours of the day that he’d be in another room taking calls. Gill would probably follow you all day, explaining “valuencing” and asking you for work.

Agreed. Fatty is a star fucker and would get bored with us rabble and leave us alone.  I think Joe has a lot of Michael Scott in him and would infer that quarantine housemate= new BFF (and he’d describe it as such :puke: )

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Humphrey
    Participant

Now would be as good a time to ask as any given the current national situation.

I’ve been a member of this board since perhaps 2002 (or even 2001, but pretty sure not when the Pats won SB 36).

In any case, to the best of my recollection, “Joe Gill” existed before I joined. Can anyone explain just how he came to be a board fixture? He’s the board’s Keyzer Soze for sure!

Participant

Shouldn’t Calista take the keys away at this point?

“Mr. Ford crossed the airport’s only runway in his aircraft after he misheard a radio instruction from ATC. He immediately acknowledged the mistake and apologized to ATC for the error,” the rep shared in a statement. “The purpose of the flight was to maintain currency and proficiency in the aircraft.”

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Draft kvetching is always tiresome, but the kvetching about drafting the Alt-Right Kicker over Blankenship (on football grounds only) reaches a new level. Listening to a podcast where the host sneered “The top rated kicker was there and they take the guy who was rated 12th!”

1. The ratings aren’t official
    2. While I would give a draftnik some credence for analyzing most positions, who actually knows anything about the mechanics of kicking? The only one I ever read who actually sounded like he knew what he was talking about was the ex-college kicker who wrote for Inside the Pylon about special teams for a while. Everyone else is just guessing.
    3. The Belichick regime has only employed two kickers* in a 20 year span and they’re both arguably top 5 in the history of football kickers, so maybe they know what they’re doing
    4. Kicking, of all the positions, would seem to have the least adjustment from a small school to the major leagues. You don’t have to beat stronger dudes, you’re mainly competing against the goal posts.
    5. Blankenship went undrafted while a few other kickers were drafted after ours. So maybe he wasn’t actually that good?

Hopefully the new kicker is good and also isn’t a moral monster, but actually putting stock into ratings? How much thought did the Matt Millers of the world actually put into the kicker/punter category when making their Big Boards?

*and a few short term injury fill-ins

5 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

I don’t think Gill was here from the start. I think he came along in the mid 2000’s Pats run perhaps when he had his own “column” that was regularly mocked by the board for being over the top homer-fan. This was pre-Valuelancer Joe. The board oracle here may know better.

NASCL
    Participant

Gill came to the board’s attention when someone linked an article about him complaining having to pay to park at Gillette.  Then he had a video, probably somewhere still online, where he begged for two Super Bowl tickets to Pats – Giants 2.0 because he met his wife in Indianapolis, site of the game.

At some point, he caught wind of being a board punching bag and joined, unleashing a furious 24-hour assault of incomplete thoughts and sentences.  I think Bruce showed him the door after that.

Lebron
    Participant

I wanted the Patriots to offer Blankenship a contract after Gostkowski went down.  Not sure if there is anything preventing a team from offering a college player a contract during the season or not going through the draft process?  Figured try something different, why bother with the usual retread of kicking rejects.

Blankenship obviously got exposure playing at Georgia and made some big kicks.  No clue on the alt right kicker but I guess we’ll find out.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

I don’t think Gill was here from the start. I think he came along in the mid 2000’s Pats run perhaps when he had his own “column” that was regularly mocked by the board for being over the top homer-fan. This was pre-Valuelancer Joe. The board oracle here may know better.

Boston Sports Then and Now arrived around 2008, was Gill known before then? When was Blogapalooza? 2010 or 11?

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

All the draft criticism from the magician beard types is, just like the rest of hot takez nation simply cashing in on an easy angle to get attention.

• “Call out” the best person at his job on earth for not being good at his job because value
    • Use an artificial rating to buoy your point with zero context
    • PTT!

Lazy content creation rubric applied successfully

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Also somehow a slimy subspecies of hot takez nation has managed to characterize “a Belichick move” as bad.  As in smarmy voice slowly shaking head “That’s a classic Belichick move”

I appreciate the internet for freeing me of the notion that any of these writers ever knew anything.  I used to truly value the opinions of guys like McDonough and Ryan and Gammons growing up.  Now I know they were 90% confidence 10% baghdad bob and 0% insight.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I did mock draft simulators a ton these past few weeks to pass the time, so I know that drafting Zach Baun in the first, and Trautman, WR Donovan Peoples-Jones, and TE Hunter Bryant in the third would have been seen as a pretty solid draft taking highly rated players at good positions of need.  As it happened in reality, Baun fell to the third after being seen as a viable first rounder, Trautman to the very end of the third 14 picks after Asiasi, Peoples-Jones to the sixth, and Hunter Bryant undrafted. It could be that they turn out to be better players than the one the Patriots actually drafted, but it demonstrates that the perception of prospects sometimes differ from when teams actually have to pick and choose guys. And yet we hear “they picked him then, when he would have been available later on!” all the damn time.

Lebron
    Participant

The receiver from Colorado was another one, Laviska Shenault.  Was a projected 1st round pick all year, as high as the 2nd receiver taken, fell to the 2nd round.  Had an injury but I think he was still in the 1st in many mocks leading up to the draft.  Or I could be crazily mistaken as I didn’t pay as much attention this year.

jforb
    Participant
    BrianInLA
    Participant

:lol: :lol: :lol:

bostonsportsthenandnow, on 14 Jul 2010 – 8:09 PM, said:
    Well thanks so much! Because you were there rooting them on from the stands in the rain and cold like I was. Go F*ck yourself you bandwagon jumper!

Mark, on 14 Jul 2010 – 8:11 PM, said:
    You know, that’s kind of uncalled for, especially with you being a schmuck and all.

Great White Dhale, on 14 Jul 2010 – 8:13 PM, said:
    Son, you should really learn to respect your elders. You know nothing about the guy and he has seen enough football to actually write about then and now.

bostonsportsthenandnow, on 14 Jul 2010 – 8:14 PM, said:
    too bad I was a fan with they Hugh Millen….do you know who he even was? Vincent Brown?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

IIRC, the woman from Cleveland who ran the site All Things Bill Belichick became offended by something the Patriots did or didn’t do to accommodate one of her requests. This was during the “drought” period of the late-aughts, after SB42, so 2010 seems perfect. (The Patriots didn’t have any tight ends at that point, as well all know. :lol: )

She posted her complaint and Gill joined the chorus of the entitled.

Participant

the chorus of the entitled” :lol:  

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

By the way, ATBB is still up.

http://allthingsbillbelichick.com/2020

As I remember it, she got so angry at Bill and/or the Pats over the perceived slight she suffered, she shut it down for a while.

jforb
    Participant

Suppose they do have to forward it, but did the office manager really need to tell us that building management is running fire alarm tests over the weekend?

Participant

The menace was today’s mystery guest with Glenn, Midre and Dum Dum Fauria. :lol:

Dino was yesterday’s – they are coming for you Tony and Mike.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar