Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 04/27-05-03/2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    jforb
    Participant

Any of them investors like Dale?

Yahtzee
    Participant

WEEI must be hoarding disinfecting wipes to even let her call in.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

TEC on Cameo. Wonder if he charges more or less than High Pitch?

Participant

$20 for Tom, $75 for High Pitch.

Big Jim clocking in at $15.

I can’t link the Jets all decade team but it’s spectacular.

AllThingsBelichick woman did a boffo Glenn Close impression. They wouldn’t let her in to see the new weight room and suddenly she just wouldn’t be ignored, Dan.

I don’t remember the timeline of everything, but didn’t Gill as a season ticket holder get some sort of fan advisory group invite that he got all pissy about? That they gave everyone who participated a Pro Shop discount coupon and self-entitled Joe thought they should pony up a little extra, you know, for the effort?

And that execrable website, JFC. He was so certain he unearthed some previously untapped talent. We would have been remiss had we not ridiculed that.

Also loved Joe flashing his Pats fan bona fides to this board. Hugh Millen, you say, Joe? Vincent Brown? Can’t say they ring a bell.

5 users thanked author for this post.

I am Laura London, the creator and webmaster of this site. I’ve been watching Bill Belichick coach since 1991 (I was living in Cleveland when he was hired by the Browns). When he became head coach of the New England Patriots, I wanted to do something to separate fact from fiction – reality vs. distortion. In September 2000, I created what would later become this site. Coach Belichick has graciously agreed to answer a few random questions I’ve accumulated over the years.

LL: OK, let’s get a few things out of the way first. How tall are you?

BB: 5’10”.

:lol: :lol:

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Starting around 2009 and until SB 46 in 2011, Belichick’s “pals” in the media must have figured they had him on the run. He was rebuilding the team, while making the playoffs every year (and, yes, losing to the Poes and Planes out of the gate in the playoffs each year). So the Breers, Borgeses, and Bedards sharpened their knives and hoped the Krafts would get impatient and cut Bill loose. And Felcher and his little sidekick had a field day with the “cap is crap” and “the Jets are outsmarting YOU, caller” material. Welker drops a key third-down catch in SB 46, the Giants come back, they lose another heartbreaker in the Soupey, but the bitching and moaning starts again with losses in the AFCCG to Flacco and Manning the next two years. I wonder how many people wearing Edelman 11 gamers were beside themselves with grief and fury when Welker left in free agency? Then came four more Soupeys and three trophies in the next five years.

Still, you know the morons are out there, waiting for Belichick to fail.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Laura London sound like a name Stan Lee made up in the early 60’s. Probably the girlfriend of a B level Super Hero.

3 users thanked author for this post.

The Q&A she did with Belichick sounded like something OAN would do with Trump.

LL: There is this epic myth out there that the Patriots organization is shrouded in secrecy. The truth is, fans have more access to the Patriots than any other team in the NFL!

Humphrey
    Participant

Laura London sound like a name Stan Lee made up in the early 60’s. Probably the girlfriend of a B level Super Hero.

Julie London used to do Marlboro ads, late 50s/early 60s.

Participant

Castig voice:  “Julie and Laura join Paris Hilton and Tokyo Rose on our all big cities overseas name team.  Ball 2, low and away.”

Yahtzee
    Participant

Castig voice: “Julie and Laura join Paris Hilton and Tokyo Rose on our all big cities overseas name team. Ball 2, low and away.”

Mike Lansing?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

The Ringer has a new podcast called TV Concierge which are these short 12 minute pod’s talking about what people are binging and if its worth seeing. I like the idea. Something quick telling me a bit about a series without giving too much away before I dedicate at least a few hours watching the first few episodes. Cool.

The first 4 or 5 are okay. Today they have one for Ozark. I’ve seen all 3 seasons and love it and was going to skip it but wanted to see how Simmons did. The point of the podcast is to get people into shows they may have otherwise missed or overlooked. Its not a recap show. Simmons and Rusillo are doing the one today and Simmons starts out with “Spoilers!” and proceeds to give away the entire plot twist and season ending shocker of season 3. Had I never watched the show and wanted to know if it was something I’d be into I’d probably skip it or be a tad annoyed that the entire season was just given away by someone who seemed to want to let folks know he was one of the cool kids who stumbled upon this show rather than trying to sell someone who hadn’t seen it yet on as to why they should see it. The guy just keeps failing uphill. $200 million for me and my buddies to talk about our uneducated opinions on anything and all things.

BrianInLA
    Participant

And regarding Dark Side Of The Ring I will die on the mountain that the David Schultz / John Stossel thing was, and is, a complete work and everyone was in on it. I thought at the time the 3 incidents with the reporters were all staged (the Hogan one as well as the Schultz one in Japan which they even admitted in this episode was staged) and had heard from insiders years later they were staged by McMahon to get people to realize these guys were still dangerous while he was working on labeling the sport as ‘Entertainment’ for tax purposes. Stossel said he got $280k for the incident. Imagine if John Cena legit leveled Bob Costas or Joe Buck. There would be a congressional investigation as to what we’d tell the kids not to mention the authorities may get involved. The fact that the police were never called in the Stossel case is just even more proof.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

And regarding Dark Side Of The Ring I will die on the mountain that the David Schultz / John Stossel thing was, and is, a complete work and everyone was in on it. I thought at the time the 3 incidents with the reporters were all staged (the Hogan one as well as the Schultz one in Japan which they even admitted in this episode was staged) and had heard from insiders years later they were staged by McMahon to get people to realize these guys were still dangerous while he was working on labeling the sport as ‘Entertainment’ for tax purposes. Stossel said he got $280k for the incident. Imagine if John Cena legit leveled Bob Costas or Joe Buck. There would be a congressional investigation as to what we’d tell the kids not to mention the authorities may get involved. The fact that the police were never called in the Stossel case is just even more proof.

If it means Costas or Buck take a legit smack in the face, then bring on the congressional investigations. It would be worth it. Smarmy little Costas was happy to do some work in wrestling when his career was starting out. Once he made it big, though, he decided he was too good for such uncultured entertainment. It wasn’t so bad, I guess, when Bob needed a paycheck and exposure.

Hacksaw
    Participant

I remember when Dr. Schultz was on the Morton Downey Jr. show, the guy pretty much cut a 60 minute promo.

Coma
    Participant

I’ve been thinking about the “Brady’s taken discounts for the Patriots” narrative. It’s true that the team hasn’t made him and Brady hasn’t demanded to be regularly among the top 2 or 3 highest paid QBs every year. It’s also true that he’s been compensated like a quality starting QB and not like a backup, which is the impression you get when the discounts are mentioned. Additionally, it’s not realistic for the team to renegotiate Brady’s contract every time a new “highest paid QB” comes along. Every couple of years, someone like Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson finishes their rookie deal and signs an “elite QB” contract. Or Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford or Aaron Rodgers reach the final year of their contract and receive a big raise. It would be crazy for the Patriots to try and keep pace with that.

All the “hometown discount” talk also misses how long Brady has been with the team. I don’t think there’s another team out there who has been paying top QB money for as long as the Patriots have been paying Brady. From his first big contract in 2005 through last season, that’s 15 years without having a break, like paying a rookie QB’s salary for 3 or 4 years. The only teams I can think of that close to that are the Giants, Chargers, and Steelers, but they at least had Manning, Rivers and Roethlisberger on their rookie deals until 2008 or 2009.

I’m sure there’s more nuance to it and the numbers can be disputed, but I was looking at the QB salaries on Over the Cap. From 2005 to 2013, Brady was in the top 10 for contract salary cap value 8 out of 9 years. He dropped out of that group starting in 2014, but, at that point, he was 37. I forget if it was Brady or Belichick who said it, but that’s unknown territory in terms of knowing how long a player at that age will keep playing at a high level. Would it make sense to give a 40 year old QB a long term contract and make him highest paid player in the league? There’s a balance of wanting to pay Brady for what he’s done and what he can still do, but also wanting to protect yourself if the long awaited cliff finally arrives.

Based on the OTC numbers, from 2005 to 2019, Brady accounted for an average of 10.4% of the Patriots salary cap. He never came close to the one year hit of 15-20% that Peyton Manning, Roethlisberger and Rodgers did, but annually devoting 1/10th of the team’s entire payroll to one player for 15 straight years isn’t quite the discount it’s made out to be.

Lebron
    Participant

God I still remember that Stossel thing.  It reinforced my belief that rasslin’ was real.

If Costas did wrestling work starting out I respect that a hell of a lot more than Joe Buck being handed the Cardinals gig and calling the World Series at age 26 because of his old man.  Buck never had to work for anything.  To a lesser extent same with Brenamen, got everything handed to him by the old man.  Rolled out of bed into high profile national jobs.

Lebron
    Participant

I did some house refi paperwork today and thought of real estate mogul Bill Simmons probably just lays out cash for those pads.  Meanwhile I’m happy thinking I might own this dump in 10 years if I don’t lose my job or have any semblance of a fun life

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

I’m enjoying the various sports players, managers and teams and their thoughts/opinions/approaches to the idea of resuming or starting seasons.  Like in soccer you have the French league saying it’s over we’re naming our champion.  Then you have Chelsea ordering foreign players to get your ass back here this weekend.  Big 12 commish says he envisions another outbreak and pause even if they get started meanwhile SEC commish is balls to the wall full steam ahead.  Lebron wants to hurry up and get started already, other guys are saying yeah no thanks.  I guess it’s the same everywhere in all walks of life but it’s evident it’s going to be a shitshow no matter how you slice it.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Yesterday in TX they reported over a 1000 new cases of Covid 19. That has been the highest midweek individual day count for the state so far.

Today they lifted some restrictions…where you can go to the mall, restaurants and movie theatres, but at 25% capacity. Some of these places say thats great, but we are still doing curbside. The movie theatres have sort of said we are waiting until July.

Also I think here the only people who want the restrictions lifted are the spring sports travel teams. My son’s baseball coach is having four person practices all next week.

For the past six weeks I would walk the dog at the middle school in my neighborhood and half the HS football team would be doing a players only practice.

jforb
    Participant

Lebron only wants to get going because this is going to be his best chance at a title with the Lakers.

Participant

Lebron only wants to get going because this is going to be his best chance at a title with the Lakers.

Breen must have a case of the vapors.

Humphrey
    Participant

Yesterday in TX they reported over a 1000 new cases of Covid 19. That has been the highest midweek individual day count for the state so far.
    For the past six weeks I would walk the dog at the middle school in my neighborhood and half the HS football team would be doing a players only practice.

Stuff like that in my town is why they padlocked the fields. Which sucks because the people that went there to jog/walk around on the track weren’t within 60 feet of each other, let alone 6 feet.

328 Chauncey St
    Participant
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar