Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 06/21/2018 Daily Thread – Building Momentum

This topic contains 72 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Yahtzee 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 73 total)
  • Author

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

The NBA Draft will help us get to two pages for the third day in a row. Let’s see if we can beat 70 posts.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

NASCL
    Participant

Not sure of the *** ***** connection

Participant

Speaking of morning news people – the Channel 7 traffic lady has developed a Dr. Tongue’s 3D House of Traffic Cupcakes move where she has to take 3 steps towards the camera and than 3 steps back every 10-15 seconds.

I need help.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

So is big Trump fan Kevin McHale as big a Trump fan as big Trump fan Tom Brady? We demand answers.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

I’m fascinated to see what Ainge does.

Im 52/48 that he kicks the pic down the road and stands pat. Thereby shocking the world.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Speaking of morning news people – the Channel 7 traffic lady has developed a Dr. Tongue’s 3D House of Traffic Cupcakes move where she has to take 3 steps towards the camera and than 3 steps back every 10-15 seconds. I need help.

I gave up on the morning news a few  years back. I watch “Looney Tunes” off the DVR now. Pepe Le Pew does 75% of what destroyed Kevin Spacey’s career in each 5 minute cartoon yet Speedy Gonzalez is banned from TV because he’s offensive. :dry:

Big Fat O
    Participant

Speaking of morning news people – the Channel 7 traffic lady has developed a Dr. Tongue’s 3D House of Traffic Cupcakes move where she has to take 3 steps towards the camera and than 3 steps back every 10-15 seconds. I need help.

I gave up on the morning news a few years back. I watch “Looney Tunes” off the DVR now. Pepe Le Pew does 75% of what destroyed Kevin Spacey’s career in each 5 minute cartoon yet Speedy Gonzalez is banned from TV because he’s offensive. :dry:

Then again Pepe likes women and not young men.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

I just want Larry Johnson to be able to reuse one of his ‘Danny Ainge exploding cigar’ tracing. I really do.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

jforb
    Participant

I just want Larry Johnson to be able to reuse one of his ‘Danny Ainge exploding cigar’ tracing. I really do.

I’m sure he can work it in whether it makes sense or not. Presumably not.

Participant

He’s got one up now – luckily for you people wordpress considers it spam.

Participant

When does camp open?

It took longer than expected, but Giancarlo Stanton’s first true Yankee moment was worth the wait

Giancarlo Stanton can now call the Yankees his home

“Dat was da day, Giancarlo finally became a Yankee.”

chicowalker
    Participant

Always enjoy M#J draft recap, as if they saw any of these guys play (besides Grayson Allen maybe)

names Larry will swallow his tongue trying to pronounce: Keita Bates-Diop, Donte DiVincenzo, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.  Another potential stumbling block- two big men from Michigan State will be first round picks, and one is M. Bridges, and a different M. Bridges will also be a first round pick…

jforb
    Participant

Not trying to get past the spam either, but wow.

The Brady one too.

Lefty

Speaking of the draft, the Athletic had an article up with the “worst all time” draft picks in the history of the four Boston teams.   Apparently, their world only goes back so far, as their worst picks for each were:

Pats:   Dominique Easley.    I was thinking Hart Lee Dykes, 16th pick in round 1.  Never did shit.

Bruins:  Martin Samuelson (2000)  Mostly because he was the pick they got from Colorado for Bourque.    My vote would have been Zach Hamill, who was a high pick and an obvious bust.   They did at least mention Hamill

Red Sox:  Andrew Madden (1977) high school pitcher who never got out of single A.    I was thinking Greg Blosser, who was picked 16h overall for his amazing power and never made it.

Celtics:  Joe Johnson, Kedrick Brown and Joe Forte (2001).  Tough here since they had a bad stretch.  Acie Earl comes to mind, and they mention Michael Smith, who was a disaster.  For me, it was Darren Tillis.  first rounder in 1982.

Lebron
    Participant

I’m struggling with the thought of DiVencenzo simply because I’ll be craving manigott and gabbygool every time I hear his name.  Also his nickname was/is The Big Ragu and I always thought Carmine sucked.

InThisTown
    Participant

Kenneth Sims is bad. Harlow is bad. Chung was bad. Fryar at 1 is possibly defensible for the time because people were stupid.

Lebron
    Participant

’77 draft also had Bobby Sprowl, not sure where he was taken though.  Probably a bunch of guys you could come up with for the Red Sox simply because of first round picks either barely making or never even seeing the big leagues.  Another guy that came to mind was Jeff McNeely, they supposedly deemed him untouchable in trades and I think he barely sniffed the bigs.

Tillis was the last pick in the first round, I’d maybe go with Ron Mercer although I can’t attest to his career, but he was like 5th or 6th overall.  Jerome Moiso maybe?

McNeely was a 2nd rounder.  Does Greg McMurtry count?

Big Fat O
    Participant

Whatever Ainge does will not be right. He really needs to ask Fraudway and Felger what to do then follow their advice.

chicowalker
    Participant

I look at draft busts as who they could have drafted, within reason (i.e. nobody knew Giannis would become what he has become because there was little scouting, etc)  I can understand not drafting Hardaway in 89 because they had Reggie/Shaw…and nobody knew who Kemp was…but maybe Clifford Robinson?  He was hardly under the radar, three year starter at UConn.

Participant

Kluzak over Bellows still pisses me off…..

Lebron
    Participant

Funny you mention Kluzak, was going to throw that out there but assumed there were others that were worse.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Not trying to get past the spam either, but wow. The Brady one too.

Where are you finding these? Larry’s domain expired & is for sale, and the link on WEEI.com goes to a 404 message.

jforb
    Participant

Chung is a coach for the Eagles and is getting a ring? Did I miss that or did it not come up?

Participant

I probably shouldn’t have put that on there as he was a good player when he could stay healthy.

jforb
    Participant

Where are you finding these? Larry’s domain expired & is for sale, and the link on WEEI.com goes to a 404 message.

->EEI link<- worked for me

Lefty

Kluzak over Bellows still pisses me off…..

Can’t see Bellows and not link to this video of Stevens and Trottier heckling the shit out of him

NASCL
    Participant

When does camp open? It took longer than expected, but Giancarlo Stanton’s first true Yankee moment was worth the wait Giancarlo Stanton can now call the Yankees his home “Dat was da day, Giancarlo finally became a Yankee.”

I’m unsure if he hit a home run or whacked a guy in Brooklyn.

chicowalker
    Participant

Blows my mind that the NBA draft used to be 10 rounds long.  I can’t imagine the level of disinterest teams had when they were making picks that deep (/Dennis) A q&d search comes up with only a handful of players drafted 4th round or lower (Alvin Scott, Eddie Johnson, Buddha Edwards, Michael Cooper) that had careers of significance

NASCL
    Participant

Never saw that Bellows video before.

Was that from the Stanley Cup Finals?

Lebron
    Participant

Was Stevens on crack or oxy during that game?  Hookers involved?

Lefty

Never saw that Bellows video before. Was that from the Stanley Cup Finals?

Not sure if it is from the Finals and I am not a Stevens fan (he may have been getting blown below the bench by a one toothed crack whore, Lebron)   I came across it years ago and just find it hilarious.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Blows my mind that the NBA draft used to be 10 rounds long. I can’t imagine the level of disinterest teams had when they were making picks that deep (/Dennis) A q&d search comes up with only a handful of players drafted 4th round or lower (Alvin Scott, Eddie Johnson, Buddha Edwards, Michael Cooper) that had careers of significance

It could’ve opened the door to you being drafted though.

Lebron
    Participant

It is a good video, I remember there was a big cry to get Stevens here in the early ’90s, Bruins may have even signed him to an offer sheet.  Then they traded for him and it wasn’t so great.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

->EEI link<- worked for me

Some people don’t know what they’re doing:-(

The Celtics one was everything I hoped it would be, and yet still disappointing.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Speaking of the draft, the Athletic had an article up with the “worst all time” draft picks in the history of the four Boston teams. Apparently, their world only goes back so far, as their worst picks for each were: Pats: Dominique Easley. I was thinking Hart Lee Dykes, 16th pick in round 1. Never did shit. Bruins: Martin Samuelson (2000) Mostly because he was the pick they got from Colorado for Bourque. My vote would have been Zach Hamill, who was a high pick and an obvious bust. They did at least mention Hamill Red Sox: Andrew Madden (1977) high school pitcher who never got out of single A. I was thinking Greg Blosser, who was picked 16h overall for his amazing power and never made it. Celtics: Joe Johnson, Kedrick Brown and Joe Forte (2001). Tough here since they had a bad stretch. Acie Earl comes to mind, and they mention Michael Smith, who was a disaster. For me, it was Darren Tillis. first rounder in 1982.

Madden and Blosser are just placeholders for their Bust of Busts, LHP Trey Ball.  He’s still in the minors, so maybe there is a chance of redemption, but what a waste of a #7 overall pick.  (Currently sporting a 7.07 ERA in 35.2 IP at Portland.)
    Totally with you on Hamill, another Top 10 overall selection. Old bastard me remembers DL Phil Olsen, classic Pats’ bust and fourth overall pick of the 1970 NFL draft. Had a bad knee, never reported to training camp, and eventually shot his way out of town. (Merlin’s younger bro.)

Kevin
    Participant

Eugene Chung was so notoriously terrible that it took like three seasons for anyone to trust Patrick Chung.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Is it OK to root for the Red Sox to do well, just to deny Tony Mazz any fodder for his negative on-air bullshit?  Asking for a friend …

Lefty

Is it OK to root for the Red Sox to do well, just to deny Tony Mazz any fodder for his negative on-air bullshit? Asking for a friend …

It is, but I ask that you restrict your goodwill to the actual players on the field and not to the ownership group.   With ongoing bullshit like that piece in their newsletter (the Globe) the other day yet again attacking Pats fans, they are more unlikable than the media believes their team to be.

Hacksaw
    Participant

I gave up on the morning news a few years back. I watch “Looney Tunes” off the DVR now. Pepe Le Pew does 75% of what destroyed Kevin Spacey’s career in each 5 minute cartoon yet Speedy Gonzalez is banned from TV because he’s offensive. :dry:

Then again Pepe likes women and not young men.

Kevin Spacey “Of course I like young men…I’m gay you fool.”

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I guess Len Bias is ineligible for the draft busts list?

In football they were more mediocre than terrible, but turning a #3 overall pick (used to select Cortez Kennedy with Junior Seau still available) into Chris Singleton and Ray Agnew was a particularly bad use of draft capital.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Jason Place was terrible. They drafted him knowing they were going to have to overhaul his swing. When I was looking at the draft list, I was reminded of Dan Duquette using 1st round picks on guys from Central Mass two straight years, Rick Asadorian and Brad Baker. Neither lasted very long.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

NASCL
    Participant

Jason Place?  Sounds made up.

Don’t remember him at all.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

On the other hand, get Trey Ball and Dirt Dog in the same room and you have … two sets.

chicowalker
    Participant

Blows my mind that the NBA draft used to be 10 rounds long. I can’t imagine the level of disinterest teams had when they were making picks that deep (/Dennis) A q&d search comes up with only a handful of players drafted 4th round or lower (Alvin Scott, Eddie Johnson, Buddha Edwards, Michael Cooper) that had careers of significance

It could’ve opened the door to you being drafted though.

:lol:   that story got brought up at hoops the other night, one of the guys I play with is from New Bedford and knew a lot of the Durfee guys.  In the early 70s a buddy of his who was a benchwarmer got a hold of some of Skip Karam’s stationary and wrote a letter to John Wooden saying he should come to scout this kid.  They get a letter back from Wooden, “if he’s as good as you say I’ll have Denny Crum on the next plane, Skip your reputation precedes you..” etc.  Said Karam was apeshit, didn’t know how to explain to a legend he was being fucked with :lol:

CornerBlitz
    Participant

Dave Pasin- not a SNIPER.
    Rick Sanford pretty much sucked.
    Rob Cimetta- useless, as was Ryabchikov.
    Reggie Dupard was pretty bad for a 1st rounder.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Does Adam Silver get booed at the draft?

Lebron
    Participant

I think him and Manfred are pretty non polarizing and seem to handle things quietly and competently.  Plus Manfred wants to beat the shit out of Dan Lebetard, which I appreciate.

chicowalker
    Participant

Does Adam Silver get booed at the draft?

Nicholson tried it once at a Lakers game, didn’t go well

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  chicowalker.

chicowalker
    Participant

That barely worked with the picture attached, without…let’s just move on :blink:   :ohmy:

Major Intangibles
    Participant

That barely worked with the picture attached, without…let’s just move on :blink: :ohmy:

WordPress. It’s the platform BSMW deserves right now, but not the one it needs right now.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar