Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 06/30/18-07/08/18 July 4th Week Thread

This topic contains 172 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  02062 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 178 total)
  • Author

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Warriors upgrade McGee with Cousins. Ridiculous.

jforb
    Participant

Is everyone assuming that Lebron’s going to age like Brady? If he’s more like Pujols instead, the Lakers have a two year window I’d assume. And year one doesn’t look like they’ll be near ready to beat Golden State.

Suzy
    Participant

Porcello laughing on second base after his three-run double off of old friend Scherzer was pretty funny. Even better when he tried not to.  :lol:

So I’m packing up the pup and heading down to visit my sister in Delaware on Thursday–looking forward to the beach & many books!

We’re both missing our beloved buddy terribly, but what can you do. She wasn’t going to make the trip this year…I’d already cancelled because she wasn’t strong enough to make the eight+ hour drive. Now, it’s back on. I’d rather be staying home and still have her, but such is life.

Gotta start appreciating the puppy for herself and not just the girl I adopted to pep up my older girl’s Golden Years. She did that, and now deserves to be appreciated and loved for being her own sweet self. It’s on, Puppy!  :wub:

Yahtzee
    Participant

This Evan Drellich person is new levels of stupid.

Lebron
    Participant

Is everyone assuming that Lebron’s going to age like Brady? If he’s more like Pujols instead, the Lakers have a two year window I’d assume. And year one doesn’t look like they’ll be near ready to beat Golden State.

Guy takes care of himself pretty well so I don’t know if it’s that far fetched.  It’s not something you count on but I’d be willing to bet he’ll still be pretty damn good at 37 or whenever this deal ends.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Guy takes care of himself pretty well so I don’t know if it’s that far fetched. It’s not something you count on but I’d be willing to bet he’ll still be pretty damn good at 37 or whenever this deal ends.

He’ll move less and less but still be effective when he needs to be.

Do the Lakers own their own pick next year? If so maybe this coming year is the one he’ll sit out with an owie and get whatever nagging surgeries he might need. They’ll tank the season, get a lottery pick, and load up for 2019’s FA class.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Guy takes care of himself pretty well so I don’t know if it’s that far fetched. It’s not something you count on but I’d be willing to bet he’ll still be pretty damn good at 37 or whenever this deal ends.

He’ll move less and less but still be effective when he needs to be. Do the Lakers own their own pick next year? If so maybe this coming year is the one he’ll sit out with an owie and get whatever nagging surgeries he might need. They’ll tank the season, get a lottery pick, and load up for 2019’s FA class.

Pinkberry speculated on the sit with an owie idea in his podcast yesterday.  Also “threw out there” a conspiracy theory that the lakers were tampering so much with George that Silver put the kibosh on him going to LA.

This year’s winner of the “Who’s being naive, Kay” award:

So what do you think? Did a brighter career for Tomase get derailed by his walkthrough story fiasco? You could argue Saturday mornings with Trenni Kusnierek is a form of penance.

Feejis
    Participant

How old is this silva douche? Who from the Herald Pats beat catapulted into a higher more profile gig? Mannix was there forever. So was Guregian. Howe was there recently after the landscape totally changed.

Maybe I’m missing it. Who exactly is he referring to?

jforb
    Participant

How old is this silva douche? Who from the Herald Pats beat catapulted into a higher more profile gig? Mannix was there forever. So was Guregian. Howe was there recently after the landscape totally changed. Maybe I’m missing it. Who exactly is he referring to?

He referenced Rapaport and Breer (although Breer was technically Metrowest Daily News).

Lefty

The Herald is barely fit for human use.   How could a beat writer job there be a spring board for anything except a desperate desire to be anywhere else?

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Also, wasn’t some of the spin from Tomase that he was really a baseball guy and he didn’t mind landing on the Red Sox beat?

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Coma
    Participant

“He (Tomase) lost so much.” – You could make a solid argument that Tomas didn’t lose enough. I’m not talking about something absurd, like he deserved to physically suffer, but he was moved from the Patriots beat to covering the Red Sox. He still has a voice in Boston and no one* talks about his past failure.

It’s dubious to claim he was on track for bigger, national jobs. A. Not everyone from the Herald makes it big. Working for that paper may have been his ceiling. B. Maybe Tomase should have thought about the potential consequences before he ran with an inflammatory story that he couldn’t verify.

If Tomase was working somewhere in Iowa or Oklahoma covering sports and you had to seek his current employer out to read his stuff, I might agree that he lost a lot. Tom Casale’s name came up last month in a “Who was that guy?” fashion. That’s someone who “lost so much” through his own actions. Tomase is on radio, TV, and writing columns around here. He didn’t lose that much.

*Edit to add – No one in the media talks about it.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Coma.

Lebron
    Participant

Tomase wanted to be first/felt threatened someone else would report it and therefore made his ‘devastating leap of logic’ because he wanted it to be true.  Reporters aren’t supposed to ‘want’ the story to be true, they are simply supposed to report the truth, or not report it if it isn’t verified.  He did none of that and was acting out of his own self interest.  And the timing of the story itself doesn’t get enough attention – the day before one of the biggest games in NFL history.   His penance was some half ass smarmy sorry Pats that wasn’t even an apology.

Speaking of timing and damage done I’m the only one that cares about it probably but that SI (I think) report saying that Sean Miller paid for DeAndre Ayton was never verified and they ended up losing all of their recruiting class for the upcoming season.  Not even a Felger sorreee.

Feejis
    Participant

Yes, Breer wasn’t a Herald beat writer and Rap was years after Tomase incident.

And Tomase then went to the more coveted Sox beat and promptly didn’t become high profile either.

Yes, Breer wasn’t a Herald beat writer and Rap was years after Tomase incident. And Tomase then went to the more coveted Sox beat and promptly didn’t become high profile either.

Callahan, I suppose you could argue. Herald beat then SI, then Herald and EEI. But different era, and still no proof of the Herald itself being the mechanism that provided this surefire avenue to fame.

jforb
    Participant

Breer took Reiss’s job right? So if you include one, the other would have helped his point.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I wonder if England has practiced a shootout this time around.

RedSeat
    Participant

Those high-profile national gigs tend to go to people who don’t look like my lesbian aunt.

Breer got the national gig after he switched from beer to coke.

Participant

Where did the Herald catapult launch Buckley to exactly?

NASCL
    Participant

Where did the Herald catapult launch Buckley to exactly?

Lebron
    Participant

That ref had quite a stretch with the cards, I thought the Colombians were going to pull machetes and hack him to death.

Participant

Wheeee!

Lebron
    Participant

Don’t Breer’s coked up videos from his home office prominently feature shitty wood paneling on the walls?  Couple that with his father probably greasing palms at NFL Network and sending Pete a case of some shitty fruit beer and it doesn’t seem like a better career than any other standard working stiff.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

England just Englanded itself.

Lebron
    Participant

Speaking of coke, Colombia!

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

England all time in shootouts:

0-3 in the World Cup

1-3 in the Euro

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

England guy had the option to do the Luis Suarez move with an intentional handball to give his gk a chance to save one penalty kick to win in regulation. Of course if he doesn’t then England is down a man for all of the extra session.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

England doesn’t choke in penalties!

We need two security details for those two Colombian guys who missed.

Lefty

No details, but they just said on NESN that Edelman lost his appeal

Big Fat O
    Participant

No details, but they just said on NESN that Edelman lost his appeal

No biggie since it will give him more time to heal.

Since Brady missed the voluntary camps he’s just going to get him killed with all those bad passes.

Your absolutely right Mike

Humphrey
    Participant

That ref had quite a stretch with the cards, I thought the Colombians were going to pull machetes and hack him to death.

Can’t recall seeing that many yellow cards with none followed by a red.

jforb
    Participant

Once again European football provides more entertaining stories

Barcelona have denied that former president Sandro Rosell illegally bought a liver for ex-France defender Eric Abidal.

Humphrey
    Participant

Once again European football provides more entertaining stories

Barcelona have denied that former president Sandro Rosell illegally bought a liver for ex-France defender Eric Abidal.

To replace Mr Abidal’s liver…or to serve to him with some fava beans and a fine chianti?

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Humphrey.

Lebron
    Participant

The rumored Ronaldo to Juventus for 100 mil euro seems cheap considering what PSG paid for Neymar.

Pool is so overcrowded hate being here although kids having fun.  Wife mentioned ordering pizza but had to draw the line

GusChiggins
    Participant

The rumored Ronaldo to Juventus for 100 mil euro seems cheap considering what PSG paid for Neymar. Pool is so overcrowded hate being here although kids having fun. Wife mentioned ordering pizza but had to draw the line

Age is a big factor in transfers. If the 2009 Ronaldo was sold now, he’d go for 200 mil euros.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Does the player get no say whatsoever as to where he gets transferred to? What if Juventus sucked?

Humphrey
    Participant

Nick’s column just posted is a tour de force of suckitude even by his lofty standards.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Does the player get no say whatsoever as to where he gets transferred to? What if Juventus sucked?

10-10 versus best teams in baseball means they can’t beat the best teams in baseball?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

10-10 versus best teams in baseball means they can’t beat the best teams in baseball?

I just wanted to learn more about the soccer transfer system!

NASCL
    Participant

GusChiggins
    Participant

Only a handful of teams can pay that much money for a player. Those teams are all good.

There are tiers of teams in soccer. Usually anytime a player transfers it is to a bigger club.

For instwnce, there are six big teams in England. It is almost certain they will finish in the top six, only the order is up for debate. Then there are a few teams like Everton and Leicester City that makes up the next tier. Then it’s a battle to avoid being relegated.

Lefty

I don’t follow soccer, but would a tiered/relegation system like that ever work in the big sports in this country?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I don’t follow soccer, but would a tiered/relegation system like that ever work in the big sports in this country?

I would love to see it but imagine the shit fits that would occur among owners whose teams get relegated? “Sorry, Jerry Jones. Your Cowboys are going to NFL, jr.”

I think the NBA would benefit most from a tiered relegation system. It’d add interest to the vast lower echelon who right now are just quasi tanking most of the season. Half the league would be in the relegation:promotion discussion.  NHL and MLB would have issues since they have minor leagues.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Only a handful of teams can pay that much money for a player. Those teams are all good. There are tiers of teams in soccer. Usually anytime a player transfers it is to a bigger club. For instwnce, there are six big teams in England. It is almost certain they will finish in the top six, only the order is up for debate. Then there are a few teams like Everton and Leicester City that makes up the next tier. Then it’s a battle to avoid being relegated.

So no soccer player can pull a LeBron and decide that he wants to end up on Team X for non-sporting reasons? It seems like some superstars would have figured out a way to pull rank.

NASCL
    Participant

So long Cleveland Browns, hello Boston Bandits.

Humphrey
    Participant

The difference in the UK, at least, is that the lower division (and there are many divisions) are not owned by the Premiere League clubs.    So relegation works.
    They also have the FA Cup where you can have someone from the bigs play a lower division team AND it can be at the equivalent of McCoy Stadium or worse.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Only a handful of teams can pay that much money for a player. Those teams are all good. There are tiers of teams in soccer. Usually anytime a player transfers it is to a bigger club. For instwnce, there are six big teams in England. It is almost certain they will finish in the top six, only the order is up for debate. Then there are a few teams like Everton and Leicester City that makes up the next tier. Then it’s a battle to avoid being relegated.

So no soccer player can pull a LeBron and decide that he wants to end up on Team X for non-sporting reasons? It seems like some superstars would have figured out a way to pull rank.

That’s basically what happens right now. Those handful of clubs are loaded with talent and buy pretty much who they want.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 178 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar