Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 09/19/2018 Daily Thread – Another Day, Another Patriots Book

This topic contains 42 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Blinded By The Lombardis 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 43 posts - 1 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Ian O’Connor has the latest one.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Humphrey
    Participant

Not that it matters at all in the general scheme of things, but it would have been nice for the Sox to clinch last night with a ninth inning rally considering the Yankees pissed all over themselves in that frame.
    There was even a Gary Sanchez passed ball on strike three to lead off the inning that went to the backstop, but caromed right back to him (and he almost threw away the toss to first).

Participant

George Young went with Ray Handley over BB because of the way Bill dressed  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

https://nypost.com/2018/09/18/a-lacrosse-playing-mess-the-giants-enormous-bill-belichick-mistake/

Participant

Cue the horns down in Gotham.

“For 2 ½ hours Tuesday night, the vibe among the 38,695 folks inside Yankee Staium was a strict channeling of Dan Devine before Rudy’s last home game: “No one — and I mean, NO ONE — comes into our house and pushes us around!”

For about five minutes, that switched to the classic Vince Lombardi rant on NFL Films: “What the HELL is going ON out there?!”

And then, at last, Sinatra.”

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Cue the horns down in Gotham.

“For 2 ½ hours Tuesday night, the vibe among the 38,695 folks inside Yankee Staium was a strict channeling of Dan Devine before Rudy’s last home game: “No one — and I mean, NO ONE — comes into our house and pushes us around!”

For about five minutes, that switched to the classic Vince Lombardi rant on NFL Films: “What the HELL is going ON out there?!”

And then, at last, Sinatra.”

:puke: :puke:   :puke:

Coma
    Participant

Ian O’Connor has the latest one.

Along with John Clayton, Ian O’Connor believed that footballs actually weigh 12.5 pounds.

middlebury03.5
    Participant

The guy that stole the banner is the best story out of Malden since the baby whale guys.

chicowalker
    Participant

If you had told me that Elton Brand was still in the NBA as a player, I’d have believed you.  Also applies to Juwan Howard and Eddie House

Lebron
    Participant

49ers got a 2nd round pick for Alex Smith, and another conditional pick, in 2013.  Chiefs got a 3rd round pick and a corner for Smith this year.  He was the #1 overall pick in the draft, he’s a 3 time Pro Bowler, and he garnered a 3rd round pick this past season.  Granted he’s now 34 but a bona fide NFL starting QB with actual accomplishments drew a 3rd round pick.  When he was 28 he was worth a 2nd.  Why am I supposed to be laughing about how Bill got fleeced over Jimmy?

Lebron
    Participant

George Young, the guy that wore horn rimmed glasses and refused to just give up with that chrome dome didn’t like Bill’s appearance.

chicowalker
    Participant

was he also thinking that since BB wasn’t from Baltimore proper, he wasn’t hood enough to be HC of the NYG? :blink:

Lebron
    Participant

Everyone had a hard on over Mike Glennon a few years ago, with the Bears finally signing him in free agency to a big deal.  Once the Bucs drafted Jameis Winston there was quite a bit of trade talk over Glennon, which ultimately never came to fruition.  Found this article from 2016:

According to 247Sports insider Luke Rodgers, the Cowboys have a standing offer on the table for Glennon if the Buccaneers decide to trade him. Rodgers’ source informed him that the Cowboys attempted to trade for Glennon on draft day with the Bucs looking into their 2016 third-round pick and 2017 third-round pick.

The Arizona Cardinals also recently attempted to land Glennon, per Rodgers. The NFC West team tried to sling a second-round pick for the quarterback before the start of the draft.

So rumored offers of either 2 3rd rounders or a 2nd rounder.  No first rounders let alone multiple first rounders.

GusChiggins
    Participant

It’s a shame that Glennon never had a chance to work with the Quarterback Whisperer.  He’d be the player that Dan Wetzel wanted to fill Peyton Manning’s shoes.

Feejis
    Participant

One season later and Arizona finally landed their man Glennon for “free” as an $8m backup.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

There is no way those two Yahoo’s that found the Sox banner are going to get jack-squat right? They will just have the vendor make a new one and tell those two jokers to go pound sand.

Lebron
    Participant

Rapist is defending Brown skipping practice because he cares too much.

Coma
    Participant

Rapist is defending Brown skipping practice because he cares too much.

There’s been so much drama in Pittsburgh the last few seasons, you’d think someone would write a book about it. Instead, we get 400 versions of “Bill, Tom, and Robert secretly hate each other.”

Feejis
    Participant

There is no way those two Yahoo’s that found the Sox banner are going to get jack-squat right? They will just have the vendor make a new one and tell those two jokers to go pound sand.

“found” should be in quotes. They’re looking for meth money.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

This guy? Now way

Seems on the up-and-up to me. :lol:

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

was he also thinking that since BB wasn’t from Baltimore proper, he wasn’t hood enough to be HC of the NYG? :blink:

My memory may be failing (and haven’t read the Post thing) but I seem to recall that, after Soupey XXIV (or whatever it was), Parcells waited until after Modell hired Belichick before he “retired.”  So the Jints’ choice came down to Handley vs. Ron Erhardt.  Coughlin had already gone to BC, too (IIRC) … I’m sure the Sainted Maras could have bought him out with a fat check to BC, but they didn’t go that route.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

OK, I get the concept that — for advertisers at least — Boston is something of a transitory town. Students drive this as every broadcast outlet and publication has their August + September calendars filled producing their “Here’s What the New to Boston Need to Know,” Allston Yard Swap, and sheared-truck-roof-on-Storrow-Drive stories.

But (falsely) elevating our entrenched “institutional memory” finger-waggers to be our bearers of our collective sports souls is, well, way oversold. “I covered the Celtics in 1986!” does not denote a wise, worthy, credible, or even readable source.

Still, a little knowledge, or at least the ability to disguise your ignorance, would be welcome. Snarky Know-It-All Rich Keefe, on with Dale, completely botched any knowledge of the Alex Rodriguez to Sox trade negated by the Player’s Union objections to the lesser-value of the contract offered and agreed to. It was only just after the 2003 season, for chrissakes!

Overinflated sense of importance matched with little knowledge or memory. Welcome to our Sports Media.

Big Fat O
    Participant

You never hear the “Insiders” say B.B. or Reid or Gruden say we offered X. It’s slways “I heard” or “someone in the organization” told me.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

You never hear the “Insiders” say B.B. or Reid or Gruden say we offered X. It’s slways “I heard” or “someone in the organization” told me.

“From my perch in the lawn chair, can confirm.”

Lebron
    Participant

My memory may be failing (and haven’t read the Post thing) but I seem to recall that, after Soupey XXIV (or whatever it was), Parcells waited until after Modell hired Belichick before he “retired.” So the Jints’ choice came down to Handley vs. Ron Erhardt. Coughlin had already gone to BC, too (IIRC) … I’m sure the Sainted Maras could have bought him out with a fat check to BC, but they didn’t go that route.

It was well after – Belichick was hired pretty shortly after XXV, like the first week of February.  Parcells quit in May, like a few days before mini-camp started.

Was thinking on how Matthews, Britt and Mitchell hadn’t caught on anywhere. Then you hear Matthews has been working out with Edelman, and Britt was allegedly recently contacted by the team.

Then after the Gordon deal, Matthews signs with the Eagles. I would think an enterprising shitstirrer could turn that into a story about how the Pats are trying to circumvent IR rules with a “shadow” roster. It would be by the same people who brought you the “Blount/Bennett/Harrison got themselves purposely released so they could join the Pats” stories.

Participant

What’s a BU J school degree run?  160-180 Grand?

““Pat the Patriot” isn’t a panacea for depression, anxiety, alcoholism or drug addiction.”

NASCL
    Participant

The Banner Boys are destined to end up featured on Turtle Boy with their Google trophies.

Lebron
    Participant

Maroon 5 rumored to be playing the Soupey.  That product just gets shittier and shittier.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

My memory may be failing (and haven’t read the Post thing) but I seem to recall that, after Soupey XXIV (or whatever it was), Parcells waited until after Modell hired Belichick before he “retired.” So the Jints’ choice came down to Handley vs. Ron Erhardt. Coughlin had already gone to BC, too (IIRC) … I’m sure the Sainted Maras could have bought him out with a fat check to BC, but they didn’t go that route.

It was well after – Belichick was hired pretty shortly after XXV, like the first week of February. Parcells quit in May, like a few days before mini-camp started.

So Belichick’s mode of dress can’t have been a factor in the Ray Handley hiring, and the story is total bullshit.  And as I recall, Belichick was kind of a clothes horse in his days on the Giants’ sidelines with red satin jacket and headband, etc.  (Sort of like a Croatian version of James Brown.  :lol: )

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Maroon 5 rumored to be playing the Soupey. That product just gets shittier and shittier.

Good time to take a 15 minute shit.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

I may have to change my avatar. I am mesmerized by it and find myself staring at it for hours each day. It has an LJ cartoon level of ‘what the fuck…?”

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Maroon 5 rumored to be playing the Soupey. That product just gets shittier and shittier.

Too new. Too edgy. How about the Mike Love version of the Beach Boys? James Watt seems to have come around.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I may have to change my avatar. I am mesmerized by it and find myself staring at it for hours each day. It has an LJ cartoon level of ‘what the fuck…?”

I said it when it debuted but it’s worth repeating: Nightcrawler of The X-Men beginning his striptease.

Lebron
    Participant

I like the superintendent of some backwater Texas school district saying his “that’s what you get with a black QB” tweet or Snapchat about Deshaun Watson was actually intended to be a private message.  So it’s all good.

Humphrey
    Participant

Coughlin was definitely gone, he stayed a couple of weeks after he was hired to coach in the Super Bowl…in fact, he called a few recruits from the Jints locker room during the celebration.
    Not sure how hot a property he was- he was the WR coach not a coordinator; and the Jints weren’t much of a passing team IIRC.

That was quite a hiring nightmare for BC, they had one guy change his mind the day after he was hired (W&M coach, I think), then were on the verge of announcing a deal with Frank Beamer (who wasn’t well known at that point at all) and he changed his mind too.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Not to underline my finger-pointing in an earlier post, but Shank leads his fourth paragraph today with a (surprisingly uncredited) Bob Seger lyric.

Get on board, Globe readers! Disco is dead!

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I said it when it debuted but it’s worth repeating: Nightcrawler of The X-Men beginning his striptease.

Knowing him, he’s channeling (violating the copyright of) the old “red and gold V on black” Vancouver Canucks sweater from the early 1980s.

Lebron
    Participant

Between this and the multiple lost OTAs for other violations, seems like Ozzie’s plan is to violate as many rules as possible, see what they can get away with and apply that in the regular season, and anything you get popped on you just Sonny Corleone the cash and move on.  Not like your buddies in the league office are going to take draft picks or suspend players.

Lebron
    Participant

Good thing the Steelers signed Brown to that contract.  Too bad Bill doesn’t invest in stable guys like that.

Feejis
    Participant

Hmm. Maybe they won’t need that banner after all…

:rollseyes:

Viewing 43 posts - 1 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar