Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 1/2/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 45 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Coma 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 46 posts - 1 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author

Lefty

What, did everyone make a resolution  not to start a thread?

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I’m still laughing my ass off that the Ravens (AKA Team X that nobody wants to face in the playoffs) got the door slammed in their face by the slack-jawed, dead-eyed combo of Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis. :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I’m still laughing my ass off that the Ravens (AKA Team X that nobody wants to face in the playoffs) got the door slammed in their face by the slack-jawed, dead-eyed combo of Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis. 😆 😆 😆

Cut Brother John a break. Those dark place division games are sooo unpredictable. Losing to Cincy just showed how tough that division is. No tomato cans.

I’m still laughing my ass off that the Ravens (AKA Team X that nobody wants to face in the playoffs) got the door slammed in their face by the slack-jawed, dead-eyed combo of Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis. 😆 😆 😆

I saw the Ravens against the Vikings in mid-October, and was stunned that team was actually in the running for a playoff spot on week 17. They sucked, and they had absolutely nothing at the skill positions. Ben Watson was their best player that day.

I suppose, when everyone’s healthy, they have some talent, but it’s all guys way past their heydays, like Mike Wallace, Jeremy Maclin, Danny Woodhead, and the aforementioned Watson. It’s all a bunch of guys on their third or fourth go-rounds, the last place before they call it quits.

Shaughnessy was one of the ones pushing the “the Ravens aren’t afraid of you” narrative. Bet he thinks the team still has guys like Steve and Torrey Smith, Justin Forsett and Dennis Pitta.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

You just wait until Dennis Pitta and Dallas Clark jump out of the closet and say “Boo!!”

Then you’ll be sorry.

Mittens:

Kevin
    Participant

I will miss mocking the Bills Mafia for not making the playoffs since the Clinton administration, but since it came at the expense of the Poes, it’s amazing.

Participant

So Peter King is this Buffalo’s version of 1967 – WHEN EVERYTHING CHANGED?

But there they were, about 300 fans, at 12:45 this morning, singing and whooping and screaming when the Bills came off the plane onto the snowy tarmac

Jackie Del Rio – one of Pete Kings Greatz

I have never seen a head coach, minutes after his season ends, announce his own firing. That’s what happened after the last game of the season for Oakland in Los Angeles on Sunday. What an odd situation to have owner Mark Davis and GM Reggie McKenzie nowhere in sight, and Jack Del Rio emotionally announce that the owner had just whacked him. Del Rio, one of the toughest coaches in the league, and a local guy who wanted to coach the Raiders ’til the day he died, was visibly emotional when he said: “Mark felt the need to change. I told him how much I appreciated the opportunity he gave me. I mean that. Very grateful. My childhood team.” Man, you watch that scene and you really felt for Del Rio.

As you know I ignored the Sainted Mara’s family blowing this off last week, this will not stand this week however!

It will be cruel irony if the Raiders, a team that was pioneering in many ways under Al Davis, doesn’t honor the spirit and the letter of the Rooney Rule. The organization needs to be accountable to an honorable coach-hire process, and not just shove Gruden into office.

Brother Jim continues to underwhelm in Ann Arbor – but he ain’t going anywhere

I’ve heard Elway is waffling about what he wants to do with Joseph, but late Sunday night appeared to be closer to keeping him than jettisoning him. Lots of rumors out there about who Elway likes, but one guy I’m hearing he won’t go after if he seeks a new coach is Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh—not that Harbaugh would leave Ann Arbor

Let’s face it, the man’s a national treasure

Bruce Arians was a godsend for Arizona, and made the Cards relevant again.

Yes, the franchise that gave you Lawrence Taylor possibly sending underage hookers to opponents hotel rooms has really lost it discipline wise.

It’s stunning how far the Giants have fallen, in both talent and character. Shameful, really.

Rooney rule?  That’s for others – I’m John Mara.

“Life is crazy,” Gettleman said. “I’m sitting in my house [in Charlotte] Wednesday, and the phone rings. I see the number. It’s the New York Giants’ number. It’s John Mara. He says, ‘Dave, we’re going to make a move here at general manager. Do you want the job?’ I said, ‘Hell yeah!’ Thursday at noon, I’m in the car, driving here. And here we are now. Amazing. Just amazing. To be named the general manager of the New York Football Giants, it’s not a moment you ever forgot. It’s not a moment you ever forget.”

Blandino goes all Stuart Smalley on Pete

“I do feel that the position was not valued to where it should have been. And, look, you always like to feel that you provided value, and I would never want someone to fail to make myself look better, but I do believe that they never valued that position where it should have been, and maybe it’s a wake-up call for some people around the league.”

A new category

CLASSY PLAYER OF THE WEEK

He often returned my calls…

The dignity and class of Chuck Pagano …

Kevin
    Participant

The best. :lol:

Kingasaurus
    Participant

The dignity and class of Chuck Pagano …

:lol:

Only thing missing is “one of the good guys in this business”.

Kevin
    Participant

Who? Probably don’t need to google him and see what color he is.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

Isaiah Thomas comes back for the Cavs tonight. Did you people hear the Celtics traded him? I guess I’d be happy for him to play well.  Mostly, I’m eager for him to sign with the Nets in the offseason for the max, where Smart will likely be his backcourt mate.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I love the Rooney Rule dynamic.

They tell you that you must interview a minority candidate, then complain that the minority candidate you interviewed is a guy you weren’t really serious about hiring.  :dry:

Other than getting your name out there for the next time a job opens up (which is a positive, I guess), it’s not surprising that, historically, some of these minority assistants just don’t want to go through the dog-and-pony show of a sham interview.

Feejis
    Participant

It’s the Jets and all but Harrison having a little left in the tank could really help considering all their injured guys.

lobstah
    Participant

I wasn’t much of a Russillo fan, but at least it was passable background noise while I pretended to do home improvement projects. Now the sports leader features Screaming A, and Will fucking Cain for our afternoon pleasure. The promo for Cain is laughable…sounds like a Navy Seal with a squeaky voice !

Humphrey
    Participant

Mittens: First two frames I assumed Volin was dumb enough to mix 77 with 87.   I guess that’s progress in his case.  And, yes, I would expect Gresh to know more about football than Volin, nothing unusual there.  

Participant

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) — Say goodbye to “No risk it, no biscuit.”

Bruce Arians, one of the NFL’s biggest personalities, is retiring from coaching after five mostly successful and usually entertaining seasons as head coach of the Arizona Cardinals.

The 65-year-old two-time NFL Coach of the Year, known for his Kangol-style hats, colorful vocabulary and wide-open “no risk it, no biscuit” offense, announced the decision in an emotional session with the media on Monday.\

TWO TIME COACH OF THE YEAR. :lol:

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Arians finished 1st in the division once, 2nd twice and 3rd twice. I guess never finishing last gets you ‘mostly successful’. He’s been at 0.500 since his squad got annihilated in the NFC Championship game a few year back.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

You just wait until Dennis Pitta and Dallas Clark jump out of the closet and say “Boo!!” Then you’ll be sorry.

Not as sorry as they’ll be. Jumping out of a closet would break Pitta’s hip and give Dallas Clark a concussion.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

You just wait until Dennis Pitta and Dallas Clark jump out of the closet and say “Boo!!” Then you’ll be sorry.

Not as sorry as they’ll be. Jumping out of a closet would break Pitta’s hip and give Dallas Clark a concussion.

But we have NO Ty Law and NO Tyrone Poole!

Brian
    Participant

I wasn’t much of a Russillo fan, but at least it was passable background noise while I pretended to do home improvement projects. Now the sports leader features Screaming A, and Will fucking Cain for our afternoon pleasure. The promo for Cain is laughable…sounds like a Navy Seal with a squeaky voice !

I use Pandora as my background noise.

I listened to Curran/Tomase late last week on EEI because I wanted to hear Curran’s follow-up to his “the Pats feel like they’re winding down” article. The article, BTW, is fine and rational. It’s been a nearly two-decade run, and it does have to end sometime. Curran’s article wasn’t the doom-and-gloom agenda-ridden narrative designed to antagonize Pats fans. He was just saying this year, it feels a little different. That the coordinators might be moving on, that the Guerrero flap has some credence, and that the Garoppolo trade had an air of resignation to it. I can’t argue with any of those points.

Curran/Tomase was surprisingly decent sports radio. Curran was his normal steady presence, and Tomase was surprisingly reasonable and measured. If you didn’t know the history of the guy, you might come away thinking he was alright. Maybe he was playing to Curran’s stance, saying “I agree, Tom” often. They interviewed Ninkovich, who stated blankly that trading Garoppolo was a mistake (“Tom’s not gonna play 15 more years”). Curran challenged a little, asking what the realistic options were. The funny thing is they hinted at moving Brady as the answer, but nobody could really say that explicitly.

Anyway, the next day EEI has Tomase on with Trenni, and he’s back to being the smug, broadly speculating asshole. Maybe he’s just the coward that plays to his co-hosts. With Curran, you’re swayed toward being reasonable; with Trenni, it’s doom and gloom and baseless conjecture. You should have heard the shit Trenni was peddling. With Curran’s article, it was when it’s coming from somebody as down-the-middle as Tom, that’s bad news for Patriot fans. And with Ninkovich’s interview, she was reading the fucking tea leaves, saying Nink was confirming the speculation about a rift between Belichick and Brady – something Ninkovich never said. Tomase’s response to her: “I completely agree.”

Kingasaurus
    Participant

The only issue I really have with Curran’s article is that I think the “end” is only related to when Brady leaves. Everything else is superfluous.

All the other stuff about coaches moving on is fine, but they lost Weis, Crennel and other guys this whole time and it was never a sign of the end.

If Brady was 27 and McDaniels and Patricia were possibly leaving, there wouldn’t be any “winding down” talk.

It’s all about how long 12 plays well.

lobstah
    Participant

I use Pandora as my background noise.

Don’t open that box !!!

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

The only issue I really have with Curran’s article is that I think the “end” is only related to when Brady leaves. Everything else is superfluous. All the other stuff about coaches moving on is fine, but they lost Weis, Crennel and other guys this whole time and it was never a sign of the end. If Brady was 27 and McDaniels and Patricia were possibly leaving, there wouldn’t be any “winding down” talk. It’s all about how long 12 plays well.

I’d imagine that the Pats draft a QB relatively high this year.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Anybody catch K&C talking about the CFB playoff games and actually sounding excited by the OK-GA game? I want to make sure it wasn’t some bit mocking people who watch and enjoy sports.

Honestly, I can’t remember the last time I’ve hear them talk about anything other than a feud at the station or some off-field bullshit.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

This year, six teams meet the criteria to be forced to do Hard Knocks: Baltimore, Cleveland, Denver, the L.A. Chargers, San Francisco and Washington.

What wouldn’t I give to see Brother John or Drunkard John on Hard Knocks :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

Edit: As long as Jimmy G stays with SF, they pay $2.10.

LJSandwich
    Participant

Felger signs new contract with Sports Hub.  The head of the new group that bought them calls him “a Boston institution”, and a “lightning rod.”  I guess prick is not in this guys vocabulary.

TwoTimes
    Participant

I guess there’s hope that he gets killed by a lightning strike then.

Hacksaw
    Participant

The only issue I really have with Curran’s article is that I think the “end” is only related to when Brady leaves. Everything else is superfluous. All the other stuff about coaches moving on is fine, but they lost Weis, Crennel and other guys this whole time and it was never a sign of the end. If Brady was 27 and McDaniels and Patricia were possibly leaving, there wouldn’t be any “winding down” talk. It’s all about how long 12 plays well.

I’d imagine that the Pats draft a QB relatively high this year.

I can’t believe they haven’t talked about the Red Sox  problems(which no beat reporter could put in writing).

Kevin
    Participant

They did an afternoon show last week with Dennis, Schilling, and Little Jerry?

Can they revoke Marconi awards?

InThisTown
    Participant

Alexa: play me The Beetles but not the wierd druggy stuff  

jforb
    Participant

Can’t remember, was weird druggy stuff B8B or 8BB?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Blech. Too Yoko.

Hacksaw
    Participant

They did an afternoon show last week with Dennis, Schilling, and Little Jerry? Can they revoke Marconi awards?

If you revoke them from the Marconi’s then they will be available for the Merloni Awards.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Death Cat losing his touch?:

And Dale Arnold, the co-host along with Michael Holley of WEEI’s Dale and Holley program, which also features Rich Keefe, has also agreed to terms on a new multiyear deal that became effective January 1.

Participant

And they want to question Bill the GM’s personnel decisions?

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

:lol:

328 Chauncey St
    Participant

I quickly read today’s posts, so I apologize if it’s been mentioned, but if not, it certainly needs to be addressed.  According to several sources, James Harrison handed some lotion to Christopher Price in the locker room following Sunday’s game, and asked him to to apply it to his back. Price obliged him in front of numerous witnesses.

This can’t be true, can it??

Yahtzee
    Participant

Truth is stranger than fiction. I think the Marvin Lewis news is more unbelievable than the lotion one.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Truth is stranger than fiction. I think the Marvin Lewis news is more unbelievable than the lotion one.

If you knew Mike Brown you wouldn’t say that.

Yahtzee
    Participant

If you knew Mike Brown you wouldn’t say that.

Does ANYONE really KNOW Mike Brown? Like Sia.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Ummm, so…I don’t really like IT anymore. He’s turned into a twat.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Ummm, so…I don’t really like IT anymore. He’s turned into a twat.

I don’t think anyone minds.

Coma
    Participant

I quickly read today’s posts, so I apologize if it’s been mentioned, but if not, it certainly needs to be addressed. According to several sources, James Harrison handed some lotion to Christopher Price in the locker room following Sunday’s game, and asked him to to apply it to his back. Price obliged him in front of numerous witnesses. This can’t be true, can it??

Hyperaccomodating?

Hyperhomoerotic?

Coma
    Participant

I took a quick look at the NFL HOF finalists list and was all set to come here and post a rant about Ty Law not being included until I took a second look and saw Law on this list.

I’m a little puzzled that Boselli has made it this far in the process. He was great, but he only played 7 seasons, and only 3 games in his final year. By putting Terrell Davis in, the HOF selectors have made career length meaningless, so there’s a chance Boselli eventually makes it in.

Viewing 46 posts - 1 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar