Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 1/20-1/26/2020 Weekly Discussion Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Lebron
    Participant

I’ve been looking at TE draft profiles and almost every single one of them is like “good receiver but doesn’t offer much in the way of blocking”. Like they’re all the next Tim Wright. I think Randy’s kid may be the best blocker of the bunch.

I read somewhere that this year teams get both the regular and transitional tags, so they can protect 2 players.  Something to do with it being the last year of the CBA.  I’d love to see the Falcons let Hooper walk (narrator: they won’t).

Lebron
    Participant

On top of the Jeter shit they are running some blurb about ‘Bronny’ James getting something thrown at him during a showcase basketball game, followed by his dad’s tweet about it.  ‘The motive and identity of the culprit are unknown.’  That qualifies as news?  Also, ‘the culprit’?  Did ESPN refer to the guy who stole Brady’s jersey or pointed a laser thingy at Brady a ‘culprit’ or was that just something about something whatever?  Lebron must be making them whole on all their lost subs for this kind of coverage.

Lebron
    Participant

The ‘Brady to Vegas’ rumors are sure heating up out here. Especially after Dana White’s comments over the weekend. As Lebron said earlier I can see the Raiders throwing $70 million over 2 years at Brady to be the face of Vegas. They’d probably even let him call his own plays as an incentive.

It makes sense.  Gruden and Mayock whiffed on Brown so they still need to make a splash.  Asses in seats etc.  Like an hour flight on a private jet from southern California.  They have the money.  In fact I’d be shocked if they didn’t do it.  That doesn’t mean Brady takes it, but wind up the last 2 years of your career there, for that money?  Vegas freaks would line up outside of every TB12 store he can set up.  Raiders made good use of those 3 first rounders last year, the team itself isn’t terrible.  Carr is dead man walking anyhow.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

It’s just hard for me to imagine Brady showing up to be gawked at in Vegas just for the coin. He’s a smart guy and knows that Montana to the Chiefs did as much for he legacy as Orr playing for the Blackhawks. Why bother if its just for the money?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Montana got the Chiefs to the AFCCG and back to the playoffs the following year.  Orr played like what 15 games total for the Blackhawks?  I don’t disagree in terms of imagining him in Vegas and doing things just for money, but if he shortened his deal and is talking about being ‘open’ to what happens in free agency, there’s also a reason for him doing it. Partially it’s because he wants to do it and see what’s out there.  It will take more than money, but the money will be there because that will still be part of the draw.

jforb
    Participant

Nice of PJAG to get his knee problem going before the season starts this year instead of wasting 5 games.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Saw some blurb on ESPN with Olney saying that we should expect pitchers across baseball to throw at the Astros this upcoming season.  So all of the shock and horror of teams stealing signs and the answer is the standard chickenshit throw a baseball as hard as you can at a batter, which I guess I’m supposed to be OK with as part of baseball’s unwritten rules/frontier justice.  If I’m an Astros hitter, might as well step in to the box, crack the catcher over the head with the bat, then charge the mound aiming to land a couple of good swings at the pitcher hoping to break his ribs or maybe injure an arm.  Have the whole team run out on the field as soon as I hit the catcher with bats in hand as well, start clubbing the shit out of everyone.  I’d watch that.  Astros might as well embrace the role of the bad guy.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Montana got the Chiefs to the AFCCG and back to the playoffs the following year. Orr played like what 15 games total for the Blackhawks? I don’t disagree in terms of imagining him in Vegas and doing things just for money, but if he shortened his deal and is talking about being ‘open’ to what happens in free agency, there’s also a reason for him doing it. Partially it’s because he wants to do it and see what’s out there. It will take more than money, but the money will be there because that will still be part of the draw.

If he goes I’m sure there’s a part of him that wants to experience the non-belichick way before his career ends.  At first I thought Gruden/Brady wouldn’t be a good mix but the more I think about it he’s a bit of a star-enabler that might be nice for Brady for a couple years.  If this is the end I have no complaints and I’ll root for him whenever he’s not playing the Pats.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Already looking to expand its content by offering daily sports podcasts, Spotify is in early talks with Bill Simmons about potentially purchasing The Ringer.

To get the deal done, Front Office Sports reports that the music-streaming giant will have to pony up about $200 million to pry the sports and pop-culture outlet away from Simmons.

However, FOS says that Simmons’ asking price is quite high and that The Ringer may actually only be worth about $90 to $100 million. The site makes more than $15 million a year in podcast ad sales, according to a 2019 Wall Street Journal story.

$200 million for a site that draws $15 mil in ad revenue?  Is this 1998?

Participant

Nice of PJAG to get his knee problem going before the season starts this year instead of wasting 5 games.

Did he make sure to tell the media just how hard he was working or do they do that for him automatically?

Lebron
    Participant

Captain Jetes and Larry Walker in the Hall.

jforb
    Participant

One short of unanimous too :lol:

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Lefty

Raiders don’t need Brady to sell out in Vegas for the first couple of years.  That’s in the bag already.    Wouldn’t surprise me if the Raiders took a run anyway, just for show.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Captain Jetes and Larry Walker in the Hall.

Seems like Schilling will make it in year 10.

Participant

The grind was killing him. :lol:

@peter_king Good question.  The 24/7ness of the MMQB was getting to me.  Being at NBC is great because it’s less of a grind, and I like my column and the TV/video segments both.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Captain Jetes

Congrats to baseball’s answer to Scottie Pippen!

Chuck Schick
    Participant

I saw one snap of yesterday’s games. Easily down to zero in 2 weeks.

I didn’t even find out who won the NFC game until Tuesday. I’m all set until September.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Saw a few stories Monday and yesterday about the decline in TV ratings for Sunday’s AFC Championship Game compared to last year. Part of that is the earlier, less-advantageous mid-afternoon kickoff. Fox and the NFC got the choice 6 p.m. kickoff this year. The other reason cited: the Patriots weren’t involved. Sounds like a lot of hate-watchers gave the Chiefs and Titans a pass. But also the Boston/Providence/Manchester ADI didn’t tune in either. Houston may have surpassed us, but back when Orthwein was poised to move the team to St. Louis, NBC, which held the AFC rights package then, pulled a nutty because B/P/M was the largest exclusively-AFC television market they had.

On a separate note, it’s amazing how quiet and empty the streets and stores seem to be here when a Pats’ game is in progress. And the worst time to shop at our local Trader Joe’s is the Sunday morning before a Patriots’ game. Imagine all the business being done by bars 16 to 19 dates every fall.

:blink:

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Mister Creosote won’t be down for a wafer-thin sweet.

Rest In Peace, Terry Jones.

chicowalker
    Participant

I think our old friend Kevin should tweet something completely benign, not sports related, and @Upton Bell to see if he responds.  BFFs :ohmy: :lol:

Lebron
    Participant

Eli retiring.  Forgot he was still active.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Eli retiring. Forgot he was still active.

13 years too late for my taste.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

Media slobbering all over Williamson and barely acknowledging the result of the game is perfect NBA coverage.

chicowalker
    Participant

Zion seems like a good dude, so I’m going to give him a chance.  That said, espn.com had an article this morning (to your point) that meticulously described his appearance in the tunnel before the game, etc. Jimmy Garrison would have told them to dial back the detail.

To his credit, Williamson (not a three point shooter by any stretch) took them sagging off him and made them pay, going 4/4, and now has twice as many career three pointers as a certain kardashian accessory in Philly who refuses to do the same when the defense all but rolls out the red carpet

Lebron
    Participant

They had a countdown clock all day long yesterday for ‘Zion’s Debut.’  Then a bunch of here’s his first shot here’s his first rebound etc.  Has to be part of their television deal with the NBA.

I’m not a Ben Simmons stan but part of me almost appreciates that he knows how bad he sucks at shooting such that he doesn’t take them when opposing teams are daring him to do it, especially given the ‘shoot 3s’ nature of the the NBA.  If he can’t make them, why take them?  Granted he should work on them, but that doesn’t guarantee success anyhow.  See all of the abysmal free throw shooters throughout history.

He’s around 58% from the field, so he’s efficient enough with what he is.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar