Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 1/20-1/26/2020 Weekly Discussion Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    jforb
    Participant

He’s just pissed about having to pay his writer for a week of nothing right?

The Bruins are off for a week because the NHL takes more vacations and holidays than my kids’ school. First Christmas, now this. Seriously, what the hell? Play hockey.
    Next thing you know, they’ll schedule in-game nap times. How about storytime? Oh, and make sure every one of those rough and tough players gets a proper snack, too. Marchand likes Capri Suns.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    chicowalker
    Participant

what % would he have to hit for him to not be completely ignored, though? Especially when their top offensive player is often posting up (rare in today’s NBA) and inviting double teams? if he could hit even 30% (terrible) they’d have to at least hang near him. It would also give him leverage on going to the rim, which he’s legitimately great at, if he could pump fake and someone might buy it

Don’t get me wrong, fuck the sixers forever, hopefully none of this comes to pass.  I can understand the frustration if I’m a sixers fan (might also be explained by congealed cheese whizz around their heart/brain)

Lebron
    Participant

Guessing that’s Bedard.  That fat fuck can’t make it up 3 stairs without wheezing and he’s pissed that NHL players skating and hitting for 80 games plus playoffs are getting a week off.  The math works.

Lebron
    Participant

On Simmons, I look at it as how much work would he put in to get marginally better at it?  He might be better off working on the stuff he’s good to great at to become great to exceptional.  It’s not always as easy as ‘just work at it and you’ll get better.’  The challenge is that the job description has evolved with regard to the shooting aspect.  No one would have cared in the ’80s or ’90s if he didn’t shoot 3s.  Now it’s gone from a nice to have to a requirement.  I think in the end that he’s got to try to get to a ‘respectable’ level but even if he is say 30% most teams will say fuck it we’ll still lay off of him because if we lose because he’s burying 3s we’ll take our chances v. letting him get to the rim/distribute/rebound.  He’d have to get up to 35% plus probably to get a true ‘we have to keep him honest’ level.

Participant

A lot of the Eli stuff in NY papers is worse than the Jeter stuff :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Yahtzee
    Participant

On Simmons, I look at it as how much work would he put in to get marginally better at it? He might be better off working on the stuff he’s good to great at to become great to exceptional. It’s not always as easy as ‘just work at it and you’ll get better.’ The challenge is that the job description has evolved with regard to the shooting aspect. No one would have cared in the ’80s or ’90s if he didn’t shoot 3s. Now it’s gone from a nice to have to a requirement. I think in the end that he’s got to try to get to a ‘respectable’ level but even if he is say 30% most teams will say fuck it we’ll still lay off of him because if we lose because he’s burying 3s we’ll take our chances v. letting him get to the rim/distribute/rebound. He’d have to get up to 35% plus probably to get a true ‘we have to keep him honest’ level.

I thought you were talking about Bill Simmons until I got to the part in bold.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Reporters sure loved themselves some Eli.  Worse than the proverbial buddy who thinks every stripper is really in to him.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

What makes the Eli stuff more disgusting is that this is at least the third time we’ve been subjected to these tributes: (1) When McAdoo didn’t start him a couple years ago, breaking his consecutive start streak (2) When he started 2 games late in the season, then went back to then bench and (3) Now, that he’s announced that he will retire. I’m sure we’ll hear more on Friday, when he actually has his retirement press conference.

jforb
    Participant

What makes the Eli stuff more disgusting is that this is at least the third time we’ve been subjected to these tributes: (1) When McAdoo didn’t start him a couple years ago, breaking his consecutive start streak (2) When he started 2 games late in the season, then went back to then bench and (3) Now, that he’s announced that he will retire. I’m sure we’ll hear more on Friday, when he actually has his retirement press conference.

You may hear more, I sure as hell won’t.

Lebron
    Participant

Jim Lehrer won’t be down to moderate the 2020 Presidential debates.

Coma
    Participant

Even Goodell got into the act and posted a glowing tribute to Eli on twitter. He had the gall to praise Eli’s treatment of the fans aka the people he ripped off with phony memorabilia. I don’t remember Goodell posting anything when other notable players, like Antonio Gates or Gronk, announced their retirements.

Lebron
    Participant

Those ’07 and ’11 playoff runs were, unfortunately for the Patriots, pretty great.  8-0 including 5 wins on the road  Eli did have pretty good to great games against Green Bay and SF in the ’11 run.  ’07 was mostly about the defense and the offensive line/run game improving into the playoffs.  Still, so what.  I still remember that team falling apart in ’08 over Plaxico Burress.  Really, the whole team falls apart because of Plaxico Burress?  They were looking like world beaters until that shit happened.  Meanwhile Brady gets to AFCCGs with Reche Caldwell and wins a Super Bowl without Rob Gronkowski.  Mark Sanchez and the Jets won 4 road playoff games too.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Goodell couldn’t have been happier in February ’08, he was probably ill thinking about handing that trophy to Kraft and the undefeated Patriots.  Thank you Eli!

Coma
    Participant

Wordpress won’t let me respond to Lebron’s post about the run the ’07 Giants had. There’s a play in the NFCCG that always stood out to me. You can see it at 53:17 here. It’s inside of 2 minutes in the first half, the Packers have the ball at Giants 19, up 7-6. On 3rd and 8, Favre throws a screen pass, Antonio Pierce immediately recognizes it, engages an offensive lineman and also grabs the running back to hold him to a 1 yard gain. It was an impressive individual effort, the kind of play we’d remember about Hightower or Mayo if they had done it. If the Packers lineman does a better job on Pierce and the running back gets away, there were 2 other O-lineman out ahead of him and a lot of open space. Picking up the first down was a given and the Packers may have been in able to score a TD. Instead, they kicked a FG on 4th down to go up 10-6.

Lebron
    Participant

Shit that is a great play.  He seemingly goes through 2 guys to hold up the running back so the rest of the guys can get over there and finish the tackle.  Kawika Mitchell and Gibril Wilson had great postseasons.  Gave up 17, 20 and 17 to the #2, #4 and of course #1 offenses in the league.  Can’t ask for anything more than that.

Lebron
    Participant

Should have said 17, 20 and 14.

The Eli stuff is so nauseating.  Now the media is holding him up as some hero of accountability .. to them.  He always faced the music on Monday and answered our questions.  Accountability to your teammates is one thing, but accountability to the media isn’t actually a thing.

Lebron
    Participant

Saints employees reportedly used their team email to advise the local archdiocese on how to ‘message’ their kiddie raping priests.  Never ceases to amaze me how completely fucking dumb supposed leaders/higher ups in any business organization are.

chicowalker
    Participant

Contemplating the fate of the Sixers a bit more last night- in 5.5 seasons, Embiid has missed 267 games (and counting).  In 60(!) combined seasons, Chief, Kareem, and Duncan (all same position as Embiid for the most part, you can debate Duncan at 4/5) missed a total of 299 games

BrianInLA
    Participant
    Lebron
    Participant

Someone posted on Twitter the MVP votes players have gotten since Eli entered the league.  Peyton has north of 200 Brady is second at less than 200, bunch of other players.  Then Eli.  Zero.  People debating Hall of Fame for a guy that never once got one stinking MVP vote?

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Contemplating the fate of the Sixers a bit more last night- in 5.5 seasons, Embiid has missed 267 games (and counting). In 60(!) combined seasons, Chief, Kareem, and Duncan (all same position as Embiid for the most part, you can debate Duncan at 4/5) missed a total of 299 games

There was actually a Twitter debate between that Monson freak from PFF and Mark Schlereth about health/games played.  Schlereth talked quite extensively about how players need to work on not getting hurt whether it’s tackling or blocking or avoiding hits and putting yourself in bad positions, never mind nutrition and conditioning.  The Brit VCR watcher assigning random numbers to performances was having none of it.  Just good or bad luck and of course big on ‘injury prone.’  I can’t believe that guy gets paid for anything.

chicowalker
    Participant

Embiid’s thumb is just a freak thing but his knee/back issues have to be at least partially related to his weight.

Lebron
    Participant

On California Bill it always slays me when employees demand constant job security statements.  Are you that dumb?  Corporate America wants to squeeze everything out of you it can, pay you the least amount possible to get that value, then the instant you cost too much they fire you.  That’s the deal.  I’d say hey guys just want to quell the rumors everything is fine, we’re not selling and your jobs are safe.  Feel better?  Good.  Now I’m selling for a metric shit ton of cash and you are no longer my problem.  Hope it works out.

I hadn’t realized he’s lost some ‘talent’ recently.  That $15 million in revenue doesn’t seem like a whole lot, maybe folks are seeing the writing on the wall.  He’s selling, why wouldn’t he?  Hell even for half of what he’s asking he’s making out like a bandit.  Even a quarter.  He’d be stupid not to sell.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Have you ever heard any of their podcasts? Nothing but a bunch of entitled millenials. Not shocking that they want 100% job security. They probably all want trophies as well. I still don’t completely know what “talent” any of them have aside from shooting the shit about topics they enjoy. Stuff we did in our space time at a normal day at the office for over 20 years. Now somehow they’re all so special and people care what they think and they feel they have value? Good luck with that. Nation full of Joe Gills.

I’ve turned into my dad.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

Should have said 17, 20 and 14.

The Eli stuff is so nauseating. Now the media is holding him up as some hero of accountability .. to them. He always faced the music on Monday and answered our questions. Accountability to your teammates is one thing, but accountability to the media isn’t actually a thing.

It’s easy to praise Eli for his accountability if you ignore all the times he wasn’t held accountable. The fake memorabilia scam gets mentioned a lot, but his disappearing act when the Giants had a domestic violence situation shouldn’t be forgotten. Eli was the biggest name associated the NFL’s anti-domestic violence campaign, saying “No more” in TV and print ads. When the DV allegations against Josh Brown came to light, Manning said nothing publicly. I have no way of knowing, but it doesn’t seem like he said anything behind the scenes, either. It would look terrible for the Giants if came out that someone as highly regarded as Eli told management “This guy has to go” before the situation blew up publicly and the team took no action at that time. I do remember someone asking Eli about Brown in an interview and he said something to the effect that he’s just trying to get ready for the next game. The “tough” NY media said “Oh, well” and gave Eli a pass on dodging an issue that he was the public champion of. That’s what passes for being accountable if you’re a “good guy” to the media.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar