Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 1/21/19-1/27/19 Daily Thread – Who Needs Two Weeks Off?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 183 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Lefty 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 184 total)
  • Author

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

The nattering sheep who are NOT the sports world’s Bravest Columnist are being put in their place by …

DAN SHAUGHNESSY

//c.o0bg.com/rf/image_90x90/Boston/2011-2020/2019/01/20/BostonGlobe.com/Sports/Images/shaughnessy.jpgOnce dissed and dismissed, Patriots are back in the big game

What shit-stirring self-important miscreant lead the dissing and dismissing, I wonder?

7 users thanked author for this post.

RedSeat
    Participant

After I stopped screaming at Nantz and Romo and thought some more, I’m left with this.

Their tone in the whole 4th quarter was “poor KC, I can’t believe all these calls are going against them.” Of course no real mention of Gronk being tackled, the tick-tacky holding call on Jackson negating the turnover, the blatant pick play, etc. That was bad enough. But the whole premise of KC being robbed is crap. What actually happened, is that KC got the calls. They were incorrectly ruled in their favor, and NE needed replay to get them correct. There is no rational narrative in which KC got screwed.

And if you watch the “muffed” punt play, you’ll see an official signal touchdown. That should be his last game. No matter what the call was, there is no way that TD could stand. Even Nantz knew that rule.

RedSeat
    Participant

On a personal note, I watched the game at my in-laws house. I have now watched three playoff games there:

Snow Bowl, XLIX, and last night.

Don’t want to go to the well too often, but might need to head up there in two weeks.

2 users thanked author for this post.

RedSeat
    Participant

To complete the natural TjM. Can someone show me the angle where the ball definitively hit the ground on the Hogan 1st down catch?

Coma
    Participant

On the RTP/blow to the facemask play that has everyone so upset, it looked like Edelman was interfered with, but there was never a replay of that sequence. Instead, we got multiple views of the KC defensive lineman barely grazing Brady’s facemask. Of course, the refs were “letting ’em play” when the Patriots were on offense, so I can understand why there was no flag for holding or PI, but I would have loved a second look at it.

The way I’m going to remember that play is, yeah, maybe KC got hosed on the RTP penalty, but they were bailed out on a PI call, so everything evened out.

Doncabesa
    Participant

Doing the rounds on national tv/radio/websites while listening to a lecture for school and of course “the OT rule MUST be changed” is all over the place.  Predictable and infuriating.  :wall:

1 user thanked author for this post.

Rickkyboy
    Participant

Romo can be insightful and infuriating. Couple times the pats came out of huddle and he called what was gonna happen.

Watched the game with my oldest. Mrs RB stayed in the bedroom. She couldn’t  take it so she watched her Netflix and then was in bed in the 4th head between two pillows to not hear us cheering or cursing. We got her down after the game was over to watch the celebration  :lol:

Coma
    Participant

Doing the rounds on national tv/radio/websites while listening to a lecture for school and of course “the OT rule MUST be changed” is all over the place. Predictable and infuriating. :wall:

If people are looking at the college OT system, they’re not considering how good NFL offenses are. If you put Brady and Mahomes (or any good QB) 25 yards from the endzone to start a drive, you’re going to look at games regularly going 6 or 7 OT periods. It happens once in a while in college, but I think it will be the norm in NFL instead of the exception. The rules are tilted towards the offense and the skill players are just too good. There’s also the impact to the record book that rule changes aren’t thinking about. If Mahomes plays an OT game next year under the college rules, he could end up with 10 TDs. If he repeats his performance from this year, he’d blow Manning’s record away and make Marino look like he wasn’t trying.

The Saints had the ball first in OT yesterday and lost. Should they have gotten another possession after the Rams FG to try and beat or match the Rams? If NO scored a TD, shouldn’t the Rams get another chance? At what point does “Each team should get a chance” go too far? How about this? You had 60 minutes to win the game and then you had an opportunity to stop the opposing team from scoring a TD. You failed in each case, accept your loss.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Lefty

When did Dean frickin’ Blandino become the savior of all things NFL refereeing?

He was an overmatched putz when he had the gig and couldn’t even keep the tv gig.   Now he’s everyone’s go to for what should happen and would he return to the position.   And he has the balls to say “if the money is right “ like he actually has a shot.

3 users thanked author for this post.

RedSeat
    Participant

My latest attempt to quantify the unquantifiable success of this run.

Award zero points for missing the playoffs, one point for making the playoffs but losing in the WC round, 2 points for losing in the divisional round, etc., up to 5 points for winning the SB. This season will either be worth 4 or 5 points. Not much of a difference in the averages, but I’ll list both possibilities

2000 – 2018: 3.06 or 3.11

2001-2007, 2009-2018: 3.41 or 3.47

20011-2018: 3.89 or 4

For comparison’s sake:

49ers, 1981 – 1998: 2.83

Joe Montana: 1979-1990, 1993-1994: 2.5

Joe Montana, peak, 1981 – 1990: 3.1

Even including the 2000 season, the average Bill Belichick season in NE has been better than reaching the AFCCG.

GusChiggins
    Participant

After I stopped screaming at Nantz and Romo and thought some more, I’m left with this.

Their tone in the whole 4th quarter was “poor KC, I can’t believe all these calls are going against them.” Of course no real mention of Gronk being tackled, the tick-tacky holding call on Jackson negating the turnover, the blatant pick play, etc. That was bad enough. But the whole premise of KC being robbed is crap. What actually happened, is that KC got the calls. They were incorrectly ruled in their favor, and NE needed replay to get them correct. There is no rational narrative in which KC got screwed.

And if you watch the “muffed” punt play, you’ll see an official signal touchdown. That should be his last game. No matter what the call was, there is no way that TD could stand. Even Nantz knew that rule.

When Nantz said that the three challenges went against Kansas City, I was like that’s totally irrevelant. As you said, they corrected bad calls, just as replay is supposed to do.

They never complained about the fifty/fifty calls that went against New England. For instance, if New England scores that touchdown on the blatant offensive pass interference, there would’ve been five replays and Nantz crying.

Romo also embarrassed himself talking about the Pats not having an ‘outside’ receiver as they rolled up 500 plus yards.

Chuck Schick
    Participant

Watched the game with my oldest. Mrs RB stayed in the bedroom. She couldn’t take it so she watched her Netflix and then was in bed in the 4th head between two pillows to not hear us cheering or cursing. We got her down after the game was over to watch the celebration :lol:

Well that sounds… um… :blink:

Big Fat O
    Participant

Isn’t it great how the Pats are handed the game to them by the refs. If they lose, it shows the other team beat them.

According to the experts the Pats really lost but the refs let them win.

Coma
    Participant

I saw some tweets this evening about a laser pointer being directed into Brady’s face during the game. I’m sure that will get the “That’s just football” and “What do you expect when you’re the visiting team?” reaction from the media and league. If that happened to Mahomes at Gillette, well….

Also, on the topic of the worst fans, the Chiefs radio guy who claimed his equipment was stolen hasn’t tweeted since Friday. Maybe he’ll accuse someone of changing his password without telling him.

Humphrey
    Participant

Doesn’t seem limited to one idiot.  Every time I see a muffed punt in an NFL game they run it back for a TD, which, as  you said, is definitely not one.    And every time they someone signals a TD then the head ref correctly overrules the guy.   Then they take 30 seconds figuring out what the correct  time left should be.   A complete waste of time.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Humphrey.

Humphrey
    Participant

BB said a few years ago change the OT, at least in the playoffs, to be like basketball.   Half a period or ten minutes or something like that.

Keeps deciding the game dependent on all phases of the game.      Do not like college ball because of that.   Also, very hard to stop the team going last when they know they get 4 downs to make 10 yards.

Humphrey
    Participant

Interesting how the only early Super Bowls worth remembering were the ones the Jets and Chiefs won….and neither team has gone since. :lol:

Nick B
    Participant

it’s my own fault but I was home yesterday and decided to see what spin F&M were going to put on the game.

they certainty didn’t disappoint.

Mike was off site, flight delayed or something. Looked like he was coming off a 3 day bender.

though he was going to cry . seemed really upset that the Patriots won.

pats benefited by the calls,  kept saying it ok,, you go the calls. it happens

can”t believe that they overturned the Muffed punt. says that there was zero evidence that it wasn’t touched.

it just goes on and on.

:wall:

Nick B
    Participant

I enjoy Andy Reid being upset because the Ref didn’t give any warnings about his player lining up offside.   Wahhhhh

why should he?

Humphrey
    Participant

Remember the Chiefs-Rams game in the regular season when they had the so-called all-star crew?

That game was a penalty fest and a bunch of officiating fuckups as well.   Now, we have the Saints fiasco on top of that.

I bet the very few who have officiated at that level would tell you that teamwork is probably as important; or more important, than judgement.    Putting guys out there who haven’t worked together all season is probably the root of the problem.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Humphrey.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

One slightly refreshing take yesterday came from Kyle Brandt of The Kay Adams Show (as I like to think of GMF).  Responding to all the whining about the Patriots being in the Super Bowl again, he said that having to go through the Patriots to win the Soupey is incredibly meaningful and a great story in itself. “If the Eagles had beaten Jacksonville last year, it wouldn’t be nearly as memorable a game.”

That said, winning Ring #6 is incredibly memorable and meaningful and a m*********ing huge story.

(I hope there is a new, super-secret Shields MRI commercial in the can and ready to roll on the third. I texted a friend of mine who worked on the “Roger that” spot in 2016 and asked if she’s gotten a repeat gig, but she wasn’t saying whether a sequel has been shot.   :smile: )

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I enjoy Andy Reid being upset because the Ref didn’t give any warnings about his player lining up offside. Wahhhhh

why should he?

The guy has been an NFL head coach for 20 years and has that attitude? No wonder he has no rings as an HC.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Hilarious in retrospect: Rams fans in the lead up to the NFCC petitioned to have referee Bill Vinovich removed from the game as they were 0-8 in games Vinovich reffed.

Big Fat O
    Participant

The Globe must have had a lot of confidence in the Pats going to the SB since there was no Holher hit piece Sunday accusing The Team of some dastardly deeds.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Opening night for Xxx Xxxxx. I’m sure whatever happens will be someone else’s fault.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 184 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar