Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 1/21/19-1/27/19 Daily Thread – Who Needs Two Weeks Off?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 183 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Lefty 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 184 total)
  • Author

Nick B
    Participant

tonight’s excuse will be the cold and little snow that came over the weekend.

Coma
    Participant

it’s my own fault but I was home yesterday and decided to see what spin F&M were going to put on the game.

they certainty didn’t disappoint.

Mike was off site, flight delayed or something. Looked like he was coming off a 3 day bender.

though he was going to cry . seemed really upset that the Patriots won.

pats benefited by the calls, kept saying it ok,, you go the calls. it happens

can”t believe that they overturned the Muffed punt. says that there was zero evidence that it wasn’t touched.

it just goes on and on.

:wall:

Along those lines, I went out to eat last night and saw some of PTI. Wilbon was pushing the same agenda as Felger; the Patriots won because of refs. The only clips they showed were Dee Ford lining up offsides and RTP call against the Chiefs. Based on the closed captioning, there was no mention of all the calls that went the Chiefs way or the KC penalties that were ignored by the officials. Just terrible.

An underrated great moment from the game: Hogan’s one handed catch being upheld based on the new catch rules put in during the offseason. I really wish Romo or Nantz had mentioned that it would have been ruled incomplete last season.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Feejis
    Participant

I’m sure she did a terrific job on the sidewalk out front. Won’t be a hazard whatsoever.

jforb
    Participant

Lebron
    Participant

So basically Reid is taking a page out of the Brother John playbook – they were supposed to tell us!  Between Reid and Payton you really see what these guys are like, especially Payton, when things don’t go their way.  Reid is coming up with a new one on a daily basis, and Payton is at a podium tears welling up.  Of course neither of these guys seem to coach resiliency and competing in the face of adversity.  Both coaches had shots to win.  Multiple shots.  Bill would have put it all on himself if they lost.  The Patriots had a couple of potential devastating plays – specifically the 2 picks.  Or giving up the game tying field goal, they could have sulked their way in to overtime.  Instead, they put their balls on the table.

I love how the world is once again freaking out over pass interference and overtime.  Always comes back to the same thing, dislike of the eventual outcome.  The pass interference one is especially galling seeing as Bill has been at the forefront of you should be able to challenge anything.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Nick B
    Participant

Peytons piss poor play calling had more to do with the loss than the Pass Interference. Why run in that situation in the first place? you’re already in field goal range.

Why would he take out Brees on certain 3rd down plays and put Hill in the game?  Seems so idiotic

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Nick B.
    1 user thanked author for this post.

Hacksaw
    Participant

tonight’s excuse will be the cold and little snow that came over the weekend.

Yet Wendy’s drive through is packed.

Lebron
    Participant

Coma, on the Hogan catch I actually heard Russo of all people point out the rule change.  He also shot down any and all callers suggesting changes to overtime.  Downplayed the bad non-call in the Saints game saying they had their opportunities at other points in the game and got the ball first in OT and with the Patriots-Chiefs he said you know the rules its up to you to stop the other team from scoring a touchdown specifically.  I almost drove off the road considering who was saying this.

It’s people like Pete that ruin football with their misguided sense of fairness or entertainment.  This isn’t fair, that isn’t fair, we need to over legislate or make specific rules for specific games.  I want to see Mahomes get a chance.  They don’t understand that shit happens with regard to calls and if you don’t like overtime or don’t want to subject yourself to the coin flip and your shitty defense, play to win in regulation.  KC had shots at the end zone before the game tying FG.  Showtime Mahomes couldn’t get it done.  Speaking of Mahomes you know these assholes won’t but can people take their foot off the gas on that guy.  He’s fine and all but who gives a fuck about his underhand/sidearm/no look throws when they don’t win? shooter mcgavin jpg.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Big Fat O
    Participant

It’s rare that BB makes any excuses others than we needed to play better, yet he’s a jerk.

Lebron
    Participant

Hilarious in retrospect: Rams fans in the lead up to the NFCC petitioned to have referee Bill Vinovich removed from the game as they were 0-8 in games Vinovich reffed.

I don’t understand why everyone is calling for Riveron’s head and bring back frat boy Blandino.  What was it that Riveron was supposed to do there?  What would Blandino have done differently?  There literally wasn’t anything they could do was there?

BrianInLA
    Participant

Payton said that they had a run called on 1st down but Brees audibled out of it when they showed blitz.

I was telling anyone that would listen yesterday that one play doesn’t mean the team should fall completely apart. These guys are all so mentally fragile that it just makes me respect the Pats even more. There is no way Belichick acts like that afterwards. You groan and move on. You received the kickoff in OT and no one is even talking about Brees throwing another crushing pick there. Its all on the missed call.

73-0.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Also love the bit about how the league said they have the authority to overrule the results of the game. I’m sure that would go over quite well. I almost want them to do it just so its one step closer to the end of the NFL.

Suzy
    Participant

It’s rare that BB makes any excuses others than we needed to play better, yet he’s a jerk.

Bingo. The other incompetents sob and whine and carry on like fucking schoolgirls, but Belichick’s the ass. Jesus, up is down. I’m embarrassed just watching those guys.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

I was hoping the league or Riveron would dispute Payton saying he spoke with the league and they admitted they got it wrong.  Like with Brother John saying he spoke to the officials and straightened ’em out.  I’ve never liked Payton or Brees.  Payton is a FIGJAM type of the highest order.

chicowalker
    Participant

Chiefs Planet is fun, if predictable.  I did enjoy someone describing their D as Sutton Death Over Time :lol:  

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Hilarious in retrospect: Rams fans in the lead up to the NFCC petitioned to have referee Bill Vinovich removed from the game as they were 0-8 in games Vinovich reffed.

I don’t understand why everyone is calling for Riveron’s head and bring back frat boy Blandino. What was it that Riveron was supposed to do there? What would Blandino have done differently? There literally wasn’t anything they could do was there?

Choose better refs in the first place?

BrianInLA
    Participant

72 year old insurance salesmen should not be called upon to try and keep up with some of the fastest athletes on the planet 4 months out of the year. Its beyond stupid that they don’t have younger, full time referees.

Feejis
    Participant

I think the Rams would’ve called timeout if NO had run on 1st down so wouldn’t be a huge change to the amount of time left. I guess you can question whether the 3rd down pass that results in the non-call should’ve also been a fun, but LA would call their final timeout there also.

Sure, the Rams wouldn’t have any left for their final drive (as it was they only had 1), but I think the tying drive probably still happens to some degree.

I was surprised Reid didn’t try once more for the end zone with 11 seconds left. Pederson goes for it there. BB also.

BrianInLA
    Participant

If the Pats do in fact blow out the Rams as I’m expecting then the last 3 games of the season will be against 3 of the other 4 best teams in the NFL who have a combined record of 37-11. They blew the doors off the Chargers who many felt was the most complete team in the AFC. They shut out the best offense in the world on the road for the first half and realistically should have blown that game wide open early. With another dominant performance I will certainly be on the bandwagon of those that believe the Pats mostly “played possum” this season.

They used to spend weeks #1-4 sort of as an extended pre-season and then turned it on. Perhaps this year they spent the first 14-15 weeks figuring things out. They certainly looked like they didn’t care at times against Detroit, the Texans, even the Steelers a bit. And now they’re unstoppable? Maybe teams like the Rams, Chargers, Chiefs and Saints blowing their load early in the year and then struggling down the stretch is what the Pats have learned to try and avoid after all this time as all 3 of those teams looked very mortal over the last month whereas the Pats look like a whole new team.

And since its a copycat league I wonder if other teams will be able to even try to copy it. After all most teams struggle to even make the playoffs year after year by going full tilt most of the time. But I can see teams with older QB’s (Steelers, Chargers, Saints) perhaps giving more time off to the QB’s and dumbing things down during the regular season so other teams cant get a feel for them with tons of film and the QB’s breaking down (the rumor now is Brees has been hurt for a while…I guess no one just plays lousy anymore).

I heard something last night that the morning of the game (sunday) the Pats drew up 10 or 12 new plays and worked them out and even used a few of them during the game. Do other teams ever do this? Are the Pats THAT much ahead of everyone else that they can rest and dumb things down for the first 16 games and just flip a switch and Print The Tickets?

Hacksaw
    Participant

72 year old insurance salesmen should not be called upon to try and keep up with some of the fastest athletes on the planet 4 months out of the year. Its beyond stupid that they don’t have younger, full time referees.

I say the NFL should hire the Living Legend Jack McCormick to be a ref, he is a former cop and doesn’t take shit from players.

2 users thanked author for this post.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Over the past 4 games the Pats have rushed for 735 yards (184/gm). Somewhere in Maine a certain state worker has a stiffy.

Lebron
    Participant

I was surprised Reid didn’t try once more for the end zone with 11 seconds left. Pederson goes for it there. BB also.

Precisely.  You put it toward the end zone and hope your guy can get under it or draw a flag.  Maybe the slow the brakes on Mahomes came in to play and he felt like he wouldn’t have the right touch on it.  Just tell him to throw it Dan Quisenberry style blindfolded backwards with a boomerang effect and I’m sure that would work.

Lebron
    Participant

Over the past 4 games the Pats have rushed for 735 yards (184/gm). Somewhere in Maine a certain state worker has a stiffy.

I think he’s still working through his Burkhead issues.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Opening night for Xxx Xxxxx. I’m sure whatever happens will be someone else’s fault.

Sounds delightful:  “Nothing like burning up with a fever and a sore throat the day your restaurant is supposed to open”

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Yahtzee.

Coma
    Participant

Opening night for Xxx Xxxxx. I’m sure whatever happens will be someone else’s fault.

Sounds delightful: “Nothing like burning up with a fever and a sore throat the day your restaurant is supposed to open”

Twitter White Knights: I think of the germs as extra seasoning or added atmosphere. I can’t wait to get to Table.*

*I honestly have no intention of going, but I’ll show support online as long as it doesn’t cost me anything.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 184 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar