Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 1/21/19-1/27/19 Daily Thread – Who Needs Two Weeks Off?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 183 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Lefty 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 184 total)
  • Author

jforb
    Participant

Hey @verizonfios @VerizonSupport how many more outages are we going to have? I’m trying to make a living here! #groton #massachusetts #overpriced #underperforming

:lol:

They responded with some buzzword nonsense, so he’s probably happy.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Did we suddenly move to 25-post pages?

NASCL
    Participant

Patriots Super Bowl + Joe Gill =

Nick B
    Participant

Patriots Super Bowl + Joe Gill =

what a fucking mug.  his head is tilted to the left, shoulders dropping to the right  for godsakes, see a chiropractor

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Chiefs just fired their D coordinator.

Lebron
    Participant

Hey @verizonfios @VerizonSupport how many more outages are we going to have? I’m trying to make a living here! #groton #massachusetts #overpriced #underperforming

:lol:

They responded with some buzzword nonsense, so he’s probably happy.

He needs wifi and tv to make a living?  Doesn’t sound like a valuencer.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

One week too late.

4 users thanked author for this post.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

I don’t think the Pats slow-played the season.  I think it was a combination of getting healthy (flowers/chung inactive for Det, Cannon and Brown missed games in the middle of the season, Michel got through the knee thing, Edelman finishing his recovery,  pretty sure the Brady knee stuff was real – eye test) and discovering/developing a strong CB2 in Jackson.

With the O-line and Michel healthy they started dominating the LOS in the ground game which opened up other stuff.

Mixing in Shelton when needed against running teams helped on that side of the ball.

If it wasn’t for the colossal ClusterFuck in Miami it’d look a lot like most Patriots seasons IMO.  They consistently put themselves in this position and have for 18 years.  They grow the team through the year hoping to peak in dec/jan.

Some years Welker drops a ball or Tyree makes the play of his life.  Other years Butler makes a pick, Hightower has a strip sack or Dee Ford lines up offsides.

Those bounces happen for both sides but the truly amazing thing is the consistent excellence that has led them to be able to capitalize when they do get the breaks.  Absolutely unfathomable it’s lasted this long.

Lebron
    Participant

I see Saints fans are going with lawsuits and billboards.  They’re pretty much Steelers South.

Humphrey
    Participant

Peytons piss poor play calling had more to do with the loss than the Pass Interference. Why run in that situation in the first place? you’re already in field goal range.

Volin wrote something today that took the same position.   A lot of people dumped on him anyway; just because Ben is Ben, I guess; although I would have run it 3 times and taken my chances.

Assuming NO ran the ball 3 times and didn’t get 10 yards, the Rams would have had somewhere around 50-55 seconds, down 3, no time outs.    Probably equivalent to what the Chiefs ended up with (39 seconds, one time out).     Not impossible by any means.

Feejis
    Participant

One week too late.

Rex Ryan isn’t afraid to take that job…

Feejis
    Participant

Peytons piss poor play calling had more to do with the loss than the Pass Interference. Why run in that situation in the first place? you’re already in field goal range.

Volin wrote something today that took the same position. A lot of people dumped on him anyway; just because Ben is Ben, I guess; although I would have run it 3 times and taken my chances.

Assuming NO ran the ball 3 times and didn’t get 10 yards, the Rams would have had somewhere around 50-55 seconds, down 3, no time outs. Probably equivalent to what the Chiefs ended up with (39 seconds, one time out). Not impossible by any means.

I think you have to throw on 3rd down to try to end the game with a FG attempt. Could be a safe throw in bounds though I guess.

Humphrey
    Participant

Also love the bit about how the league said they have the authority to overrule the results of the game. I’m sure that would go over quite well. I almost want them to do it just so its one step closer to the end of the NFL.

The only time I can ever envision them invoking that is if it’s something like that Colorado/Missouri game in the late 80s/early 90s where they thought it was 4th down and it was really 5th down.   With replay, not even sure that could ever happen, but let’s assume it could.  And, even then, it would have to be in a situation where the game would be over if it were not for the extra down (Colorado scored on the 5th down which was also the final play of the game).

Lefty

One week too late.

He’s not going to kiss Jon Gruden’s ring……

4 users thanked author for this post.

Lefty

I think we should be expecting the initial appearance of success for the Gastro lab in the north end.   I can’t imagine even that “chef” can’t line up enough family and phony-need-to-be-seen-C-list-NESN-anchor-babes to give the appearance of a full house on the first night.

Give it a week or two, or until we get a good snow storm in a Thu – Sat period, then the wheels will fall off.

Humphrey
    Participant

72 year old insurance salesmen should not be called upon to try and keep up with some of the fastest athletes on the planet 4 months out of the year. Its beyond stupid that they don’t have younger, full time referees.
    It’s actually the 3 or 4 guys that are lined up in the backfield calling PI and that sort of thing that can’t be 72 years old.    The referee and the two linespeople are more or less stationary.

The worst job has to be the linespeople, however.   Each of them has to get a rash of shit from the bench for every call the other guys make out there, let alone their own.  I wouldn’t like doing that.

Big Fat O
    Participant

I was surprised Reid didn’t try once more for the end zone with 11 seconds left. Pederson goes for it there. BB also.

Precisely. You put it toward the end zone and hope your guy can get under it or draw a flag. Maybe the slow the brakes on Mahomes came in to play and he felt like he wouldn’t have the right touch on it. Just tell him to throw it Dan Quisenberry style blindfolded backwards with a boomerang effect and I’m sure that would work.

In a way it’s hard to blame Reid for kicking it with 11 secs to go. No timeouts around the 35-40 yard line. It’s either the end zone or out of bounds and as said above you hope for a call.

KC was moving the ball well so Reid was thinking if they can win the coin flip they have a good shot. Unfortunately his defense did squat and gave up a TD and not a FG.

Feejis
    Participant

I was surprised Reid didn’t try once more for the end zone with 11 seconds left. Pederson goes for it there. BB also.

Precisely. You put it toward the end zone and hope your guy can get under it or draw a flag. Maybe the slow the brakes on Mahomes came in to play and he felt like he wouldn’t have the right touch on it. Just tell him to throw it Dan Quisenberry style blindfolded backwards with a boomerang effect and I’m sure that would work.

In a way it’s hard to blame Reid for kicking it with 11 secs to go. No timeouts around the 35-40 yard line. It’s either the end zone or out of bounds and as said above you hope for a call.

KC was moving the ball well so Reid was thinking if they can win the coin flip they have a good shot. Unfortunately his defense did squat and gave up a TD and not a FG.

They were on the 21.

jforb
    Participant

The worst job has to be the linespeople, however. Each of them has to get a rash of shit from the bench for every call the other guys make out there, let alone their own. I wouldn’t like doing that.

They didn’t enjoy this?

Lebron
    Participant

And on that Colorado 5th down play the QB never got in.  Shitshow all the way around.

Chiefs had 1 possibly even 2 more cracks at the end zone from 21 yards out as they kicked on 2nd down  He wants to kick the field goal and play it safe?  That’s fine, I have no problem with that.  Just don’t bitch in to every microphone you can find about what could have been.

Participant

One week too late.

He’s not going to kiss Jon Gruden’s ring……

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported former Jets and Bills coach Rex Ryan is a name to watch for to replace Sutton, and he has been approached by other teams in past offseasons about defensive coordinator openings. Ryan has been Schefter’s colleague at ESPN since parting way with the Bills two seasons ago.

Yahtzee
    Participant

And on that Colorado 5th down play the QB never got in. Shitshow all the way around.

They claim a national championship for that year.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Yahtzee.

Lebron
    Participant

And on that Colorado 5th down play the QB never got in. Shitshow all the way around.

They claim a national championship for that year.

My 2 favorite things to qualify with CU hardos on that championship is Charles Johnson didn’t get in and it was only a share of the national title as one of the polls had Georgia Tech #1.  And of course the fucking dumbass coach/punter kick it straight to Rocket Ismail who runs it back, which of course then got called back on a clip that didn’t even spring him.

Lebron
    Participant

What a chickenshit move by Reid  The Patriots only having 17 points on the board heading in to the final quarter gave his sputtering offense, of which he’s the play caller, a chance.  Turned over the Patriots knocking on the end zone.  Meanwhile he kicks a field goal with 1 maybe 2 shots at a win.  Gets the ball to the pregnant girlfriend slapper one time.  Not even an inside hand off or anything.  3 targets.  3 drives in the first half all 3 end in punts.  He’s terrible.

RedSeat
    Participant

Chiefs had 1 possibly even 2 more cracks at the end zone from 21 yards out as they kicked on 2nd down He wants to kick the field goal and play it safe? That’s fine, I have no problem with that. Just don’t bitch in to every microphone you can find about what could have been.

I’d have to have Coach Bedard break down the film for me, because I can’t see all the routes, but I think that was a major missed opportunity for KC. On 1st and ten, there were six defenders 12+ yards down the field. A quick out for 8 yards or so should take no more than the 5 seconds they took on the prayer to the end zone. Now they’re inside the 15, with 11 or more seconds, and they could easily take one or maybe two shots at the end zone before kicking.

All easier said than done, and if they somehow threw a pick or ran out of time, they’d be crucified. But as a Patriots fan, I know I was happy when I saw him heave it deep on 1st down, and happy when the FG team came out on 2nd.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 184 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar