Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 1/21/19-1/27/19 Daily Thread – Who Needs Two Weeks Off?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 183 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Lefty 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 184 total)
  • Author

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I saw something pretty succinct on twitter about people having a problem with the current overtime rules because of the Patriots-Chiefs game: They don’t want the OT rules changed, they want the winner changed.

I would hope that our fan base wouldn’t have the same complaint if Mahomes had gotten the ball first and driven the Chiefs to a TD without Brady touching the ball.

Sadly ……..

5 users thanked author for this post.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

You know what we would have heard a LOT more about if they lost? Duron Harmon having only two snaps.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

So, the Baseball writers patting themselves on the back about Rivera getting in unanimously really boils down to them celebrating that for the first time, one of them wasn’t a total asshole, right?

It must have killed Shank to know he missed his opportunity to be interviewed nationwide as a principled contrarian.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

For some reason I am fascinated with Andy Wong’s constant need to hang out with 98.5 utility announcers.

It’s a step up from scurrying for Andlemans?

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Guessing I lost yet another long time friend – with the Rivera results he noticed that the look at me Bill Ballou lied about not voting for him. I said yeah it’s the Shaugnessy ‘tomato can’ blueprint where you write a look at me piece and then you make the national rounds to gin up your relevancy. He responded yeah well at least Shaugnessy was/is right. Fucking done.

There really are people who agree with him out there??

I’m constantly surprised at fairly good friends (not my best friends, who know better) who tell me they “enjoy” Shank because “he really gives you a different perspective.”

I’ve learned to draw upon the lessons from the 10,000+ articles regarding “How to Get Along at Thanksgiving in the Age of Trump” and amuse myself with the notion that Dan is Donald in this construction.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

Guessing I lost yet another long time friend – with the Rivera results he noticed that the look at me Bill Ballou lied about not voting for him. I said yeah it’s the Shaugnessy ‘tomato can’ blueprint where you write a look at me piece and then you make the national rounds to gin up your relevancy. He responded yeah well at least Shaugnessy was/is right. Fucking done.

There really are people who agree with him out there??

I have an aunt who’s lived in the Boston area her whole life who I just have to smile and nod with when the Patriots come up. She’s levelheaded with the Red Sox, but goes along with the “tomato cans” and every other hottake that comes up with the Patriots. We talked last week and Brady’s “everyone thinks we suck” comment came up and she couldn’t believe Brady thought he had been criticized. It’s just easier to direct the conversation to a different topic than to explain that Shaughnessy, Felger and company are wrong and are lying to you.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

I saw something pretty succinct on twitter about people having a problem with the current overtime rules because of the Patriots-Chiefs game: They don’t want the OT rules changed, they want the winner changed.

I would hope that our fan base wouldn’t have the same complaint if Mahomes had gotten the ball first and driven the Chiefs to a TD without Brady touching the ball.

Sadly ……..

“Which way to the lobotomies? Oh, I’ve already been there?”

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

So, the Baseball writers patting themselves on the back about Rivera getting in unanimously really boils down to them celebrating that for the first time, one of them wasn’t a total asshole, right?

It must have killed Shank to know he missed his opportunity to be interviewed nationwide as a principled contrarian.

Actually, I saw a link on YouTube (un-clicked) in which CHB claims to have voted ONLY for Rivera and left the other spaces blank. So he’s going-for-the-contrarian-gold anyway … I imagine he will have an over-the-fold, Page 1 column in The Baseball Paper to explain why.

:weei:

jforb
    Participant

Sunday’s paper (I think, maybe Saturday or Monday) had columns from all their voters explaining.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

At least online, the Globe posted each of its FIVE (!) HoF voters explaining/defending their choices. Wonderful tour through the totally relevant personal histories that shaped these momentous decisions. Board members would be entranced at noted baseball savant Bob Hohler’s insights on how to smear a guy after he’s been fired and, of course, Bob Ryan terrier-like defense of … now I’ve forgotten. Pete Abe explained today that Mario Rivera was very nice to him when he was mulling over leaving the White Plains Almanac, where he landed a Yankees beat writer position that no one realized existed, so there’s a baseball history lesson for you. Cafardo said something about scouts vs. analytics. No, that’s not that day. Angst that free agents aren’t signing quickly enough for the players’ agents liking. No, that’s every Monday, Thursday and Sunday.  Anyway, his contribution asserted that “we have seen many players” and “I voted for…” so I’m not sure how many votes he had. Finally, Shank waved his contrarian flag by finding that only Rivera met his lofty HoF standards — standards so high that he, himself, is also a member of the Hall of Fame. Well, a very special Hall of Fame. Voted in by the same braying dingbats who he now styles himself as superior to. 

Coma
    Participant

I watched a chunk of SB36 on NFLN tonight and I didn’t see any of the “mugging of receivers” by Patriots defensive backs that I was told happened constantly in that game.

Something else I haven’t seen in the playoffs or even the second half of the regular season is a player getting pulled from a game for a concussion evaluation. Did Goodell cure concussions? Or did the league tell the independent concussion spotters to take some time off before Thanksgiving and never told them to come back?

Lefty

I watched a chunk of SB36 on NFLN tonight and I didn’t see any of the “mugging of receivers” by Patriots defensive backs that I was told happened constantly in that game.

Something else I haven’t seen in the playoffs or even the second half of the regular season is a player getting pulled from a game for a concussion evaluation. Did Goodell cure concussions? Or did the league tell the independent concussion spotters to take some time off before Thanksgiving and never told them to come back?

They are waiting to pull Brady in the 4th quarter of the SB

Nick B
    Participant

Chiefs just fired their D coordinator.

One week too late.

Rex Ryan isn’t afraid to take that job…

He’s not going to kiss Jon Gruden’s ring……

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported former Jets and Bills coach Rex Ryan is a name to watch for to replace Sutton, and he has been approached by other teams in past offseasons about defensive coordinator openings. Ryan has been Schefter’s colleague at ESPN since parting way with the Bills two seasons ago.

Rex Ryan is like the Red Sox, In on everything

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

At least online, the Globe posted each of its FIVE (!) HoF voters explaining/defending their choices. Wonderful tour through the totally relevant personal histories that shaped these momentous decisions. Board members would be entranced at noted baseball savant Bob Hohler’s insights on how to smear a guy after he’s been fired and, of course, Bob Ryan terrier-like defense of … now I’ve forgotten. Pete Abe explained today that Mario Rivera was very nice to him when he was mulling over leaving the White Plains Almanac, where he landed a Yankees beat writer position that no one realized existed, so there’s a baseball history lesson for you. Cafardo said something about scouts vs. analytics. No, that’s not that day. Angst that free agents aren’t signing quickly enough for the players’ agents liking. No, that’s every Monday, Thursday and Sunday. Anyway, his contribution asserted that “we have seen many players” and “I voted for…” so I’m not sure how many votes he had. Finally, Shank waved his contrarian flag by finding that only Rivera met his lofty HoF standards — standards so high that he, himself, is also a member of the Hall of Fame. Well, a very special Hall of Fame. Voted in by the same braying dingbats who he now styles himself as superior to.

:lol:

Braying Dingbat would be a hell of a screen name.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Wickersham has a piece “look(ing) inside the dysfunction that has defined the Browns”. I assume it’s every bit as accurate as his Pats hit job.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Wickersham has a piece “look(ing) inside the dysfunction that has defined the Browns”. I assume it’s every bit as accurate as his Pats hit job.

I assume the Steelers are next on his docket? The Eagles who have anonymous players criticizing Wentz?

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

TEC, Drew Henson and Giardi are on Russillo’s latest podcast with Brady stories.  Fun listen.  I skipped to the start of the TEC interview then turned it off when Ryan started his bachelor rant with 12 min left but the 20 or so minutes in the middle were good.

Humphrey
    Participant

You know what we would have heard a LOT more about if they lost? Duron Harmon having only two snaps.

Along those lines, I was thinking that Shank will show up in Atlanta and the first question he’ll ask is “why didn’t Butler play last year?”.    Hopefully Bill will smile at him like the Kentucky kid smiled at the Indian drummer.

Humphrey
    Participant

They are waiting to pull Brady in the 4th quarter of the SB

The no-PI call was also helmet-to-helmet…it would have been even more embarrassing to the NFL if the receiver was then pulled into the tent!

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Why would anyone need to read an article about dysfunction within the Browns? Isn’t it obvious? Hue Jackson? Johnny Manziel? An 0-16 season? :blink: If it was revealed that they ran their last 5 drafts using free fantasy football software I wouldn’t be the least be surprised. I’m more interested in how a reasonable level headed fan can survive that decade long dumpster fire and still plunk down cash for season tickets year-after-year. I’d read that. Mayfield looks pretty good, but i’m betting  they somehow fuck him up or he blows out a knee (Daunte Culpepper style) in the pre-season.

chicowalker
    Participant

This is imperfect because (/lazy) it doesn’t account for end of half/game kneeldowns, but also doesn’t account for field position.  Q&D going into overtime the Patriots had played 18 full games, had 209 drives, and scored 56 offensive touchdowns, so a TD on 26.7% of drives.  Even if you juice that a bit to account for kneel downs, and add in a gassed KC defense, the real odds that the Pats would score an opening drive TD after winning the coin flip were probably about 1/3 or so..hardly the fait accompli the Scarlett O’Haras in the media/twitter are making it out to be

Humphrey
    Participant

I was watching a webcast of a Holy Cross game last night.   A graphic came on listing a bunch of facts about the school, enrollment, etc.

Then it showed. “Famous Graduate”.     Which of these 5 people was the person?

Bob Cousy, Bill Simmons, Dan Shaughnessy, Clarence Thomas, Edward Bennett Williams, Chris Matthews

Unbelievably, it was Simmons.   Much as I dislike Shank, I would not put a picture of him next to “Alleged Celebrity” in the dictionary.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  Humphrey.

NASCL
    Participant

chicowalker
    Participant

Undershirt alert! Sound the WW2 felger alarm.  Also, if that’s real, link?

jforb
    Participant

Undershirt alert! Sound the WW2 felger alarm. Also, if that’s real, link?

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 184 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar