Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 1/27/18 – 1/28/18 – Pro Bowl Weekend Thread

This topic contains 36 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Coma 1 year ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Coma
    Participant

Bedard’s explanation of his comment about Kraft giving Brady a sweetheart deal for land in Brookline was that he was all jokez, yo. He said it was clear from the first two sentences of the article (link) that he was being lighthearted. Here are the opening lines of the article:

A few random thoughts on the first episode of Tom vs. Time while I contemplate what other fruits Tom Brady hates and mutilates…At least their kids leave their stuff all over the place too.

I haven’t read enough of Bedard to know when he’s being serious, clever, sarcastic or joking and I never will. It’s clear he was attempting to put humor in throughout the column, but I can’t say everything came across that way. More to the point, what’s the punchline about the real estate deal? That Kraft has given Brady other sweetheart deals before? A riff on the idea that Brady’s football salary is low because he’s getting paid under the table? If I had to choose between Craig honestly not thinking people might take his “joke” the wrong way or realizing it and not caring, I’d go with the latter.

Also interesting to read yesterday was Little Jerry’s claim that higher ups at EEI told him Tomase was off limits for any kind of jokes or comments, especially regarding his fake walkthrough story. Thornton left EEI about a year and half ago and I think this is the first time he’s mentioned that. Seems like it would have come up earlier at some point in all the wall defending.

Humphrey
    Participant

Bedard’s explanation of his comment about Kraft giving Brady a sweetheart deal for land in Brookline was that he was all jokez, yo. He said it was clear from the first two sentences of the article (link) that he was being lighthearted. Here are the opening lines of the article:

A few random thoughts on the first episode of Tom vs. Time while I contemplate what other fruits Tom Brady hates and mutilates…At least their kids leave their stuff all over the place too.

I haven’t read enough of Bedard to know when he’s being serious, clever, sarcastic or joking and I never will. It’s clear he was attempting to put humor in throughout the column, but I can’t say everything came across that way. More to the point, what’s the punchline about the real estate deal? That Kraft has given Brady other sweetheart deals before? A riff on the idea that Brady’s football salary is low because he’s getting paid under the table? If I had to choose between Craig honestly not thinking people might take his “joke” the wrong way or realizing it and not caring, I’d go with the latter. Also interesting to read yesterday was Little Jerry’s claim that higher ups at EEI told him Tomase was off limits for any kind of jokes or comments, especially regarding his fake walkthrough story. Thornton left EEI about a year and half ago and I think this is the first time he’s mentioned that. Seems like it would have come up earlier at some point in all the wall defending.

For me, when it comes to people who I’ve heard on the radio that I want to swat like a fly, Tomase is right up there.    The smarminess just oozes out of him.    Borges-like, unlike Shank, who I revile in print but doesn’t come of as horribly on the air.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Gronk back at practice.  That has to be good news,

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Brady still with the black tape on his hand. The tape, BTW, is a specialized form of KT Tape.

Deatrich Wise back at practice as well.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Senior Bowl today, which unfortunately heralds the start of Mayock Season.   :dry:

Big Fat O
    Participant

Powders football team is down 3-1 at the half in the FA Cup.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Fvck Duke

Big Fat O
    Participant

Powders football team lost. Guess it’s the same in football as baseball where money can’t buy wins.

Wonder what the Shank of Liverpool has to say.

Kevin
    Participant

I feel like Minihane has offhandedly mentioned that discussing Tomase is off limits too.

This is great:

If I’m New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft, I have to say no toBill Belichick now, hire Tom Donahoe to run the football side of business, and get on with my life. Because if I’m Bob Kraft, this is the thought process going through my mind today as the Jets stonewall my compensation offer for Belichick and refuse to budge from their demand of New England’s first-round draft choice in April’s draft: I am willing to give a man with a coaching record of 37-45 full authority over all my football operations by naming him coach and general manager. I am willing to pay him in excess of $3 million a year. And now I have to throw in my first-round pick? I’m already without my fourth-round pick this year, and I’m sure to lose a couple of valued players like Tedy Bruschi and Shawn Jefferson in free agency. Now I have to throw in the pick that could become Ron Dayne and may solve our dilemma at running back for the next five years? Maybe I wait a couple more days for the Jets to budge. Assuming they don’t, I get on with my life.

“Why are you going to all this trouble for Bill Belichick?” one business associate asked Kraft last week.

“I see things in him that other people don’t see,” this associate quoted Kraft as saying.

I like Belichick as a coach, too, even though I find his actions this month despicable and totally without honor. I just think enough’s enough. Move on. Donahoe and Dom Capers sound good to me.

“despicable and totally without honor”  :pk:   :lol:

Coma
    Participant

They could have had Ron Dayne instead of Belichick? Bill the GM was killing Bill the coach before he even got the job.

Humphrey
    Participant

So what the hell does “The Town” mean?

Humphrey
    Participant

They could have had Ron Dayne instead of Belichick? Bill the GM was killing Bill the coach before he even got the job.

“on a day where….”  :lol:

Humphrey
    Participant

This is great:

If I’m New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft, I have to say no toBill Belichick now, hire Tom Donahoe to run the football side of business, and get on with my life. Because if I’m Bob Kraft, this is the thought process going through my mind today as the Jets stonewall my compensation offer for Belichick and refuse to budge from their demand of New England’s first-round draft choice in April’s draft: I am willing to give a man with a coaching record of 37-45 full authority over all my football operations by naming him coach and general manager. I am willing to pay him in excess of $3 million a year. And now I have to throw in my first-round pick? I’m already without my fourth-round pick this year, and I’m sure to lose a couple of valued players like Tedy Bruschi and Shawn Jefferson in free agency. Now I have to throw in the pick that could become Ron Dayne and may solve our dilemma at running back for the next five years? Maybe I wait a couple more days for the Jets to budge. Assuming they don’t, I get on with my life. “Why are you going to all this trouble for Bill Belichick?” one business associate asked Kraft last week. “I see things in him that other people don’t see,” this associate quoted Kraft as saying. I like Belichick as a coach, too, even though I find his actions this month despicable and totally without honor. I just think enough’s enough. Move on. Donahoe and Dom Capers sound good to me.

“despicable and totally without honor” :pk: 😆

And Nick Cafardo would have been right there to plant stories for Donahoe and tout his genius….just like he did for Bobby Valentine a decade or so later.

CornerBlitz
    Participant

The City is San Fran and The Town is Oakland.
    West Coast.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

1 point game now at Golden State with 4 minutes left.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

A seven game Warriors/Celts series would be so fun.

chicowalker
    Participant

4 points, twice Morris gakked fucking open lay ups… :ozzy:

Kingasaurus
    Participant

This is great:“despicable and totally without honor” :pk: 😆

Fatty is the NFL High Sparrow Swallow.

Suzy
    Participant

Hate-read Bedard this morning–wow, is he a dummy. Just terrible.

• Trey Flowers: consummate professional, on the field and in the locker room. Not surprising given that he was one of 10 children and worked for his father’s contracting company.

How does the second sentence correlate with the first? What a lazy-ass, clumsy way of  shoehorning in some unrelated info about Flowers.

• Solder definitely didn’t knock down my thoughts about him being a biology major and smart, so he more than most would be thinking about the toll football could have on him long-term. But this did surprise me: “I really like football,” he said. When I’ve been asked about Solder, I said the x-factor in this is how much he just loves to play. I wasn’t sure. But now we know.

Solder didn’t “knock down” your thoughts? Who are you, Fatass King reporting on domestic abuse?

OH MY GOD, HE REALLY LIKES FOOTBALL!  This surprised you, you dumb fuck? What a weak, idiotic way of letting people know that YOU SAID THAT VERY THING!  Wow, this is rare insight.

“I wasn’t sure…but now we know.”  Oh, thank and bless you for confirming what no one else suspected.  Your hard work and nuggets of obscure knowledge are worth every penny. What a fucking jackass.

Participant

Pete’s right.

They never got over losing Bruschi.

Pete knew nothing than and knows nothing now.

What a moment.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

King likes to claim that Belichick has cold-shouldered him since Fatty called him a cheater during SpyGate in 2007.  Looks like Fatso got about a seven-year grace period from Belichick, who should have frozen him out the day he arrived in Foxborough in 2000.

Coma
    Participant

I’ve had those 30 minute Super Bowl recap shows on in the background this morning. So far, I’ve seen an official shake hands with Cowher after the SB 30 loss and Aaron Taylor blatantly trip Willie McGinest on Favre’s TD run with no penalty called. One or two more examples like that and I’ll be able to start a website and/or write a book about how the league is rigged to favor those teams.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

So who were the last Patriots players to actually participate in a Pro Bowl?

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

jforb
    Participant

So who were the last Patriots players to actually participate in a Pro Bowl?

Gostkowski and Slater and maybe Mankins in 2014.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  jforb.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar