Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 1/27/2020-2/2/2020 Weekly Discusson Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Apparently there’s this game called the “Super Bowl” this weekend. Unless it gets cancelled due to national Kobe sadness.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Yahtzee
    Participant

Has Peter King established his sadness bona fides?

Coma
    Participant

I just want to announce that I will no longer wear #24 or #8 going forward. Or any jersey number divisible by either of those numbers.

Lefty

I have decided to eliminate all memories of anything I did when I was 8 or 24.   24 won’t be hard to forget given the alcohol damage already in place.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I assume that the story-line about this years Super Bowl signifying a generational ‘changing of the guard’ at the QB position will rival that of the Flacco-Kapernick battle that proved to be nothing of the sort with out even mentioning just how wrong everybody was back in 2013.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

Has Peter King established his sadness bona fides?

“After something so senseless as Bryant and eight others dying in a helicopter crash Sunday near L.A., I prefer to remember how great Bryant the player was, and how great Bryant the father and person was becoming. He was trying to be Jonathan Livingston Seagull in his next life. Let’s take that from the life and times of Kobe Bryant.”

jforb
    Participant

In hindsight, is Kobe’s game going to actually hold up for anything other than volume?

BrianInLA
    Participant

No mention of why/how they were flying when there was a ground stop through LA because of intense fog? No? Of course not. How about don’t put your daughters life in jeopardy by taking an unneeded risk because you “were in a hurry”. Great dad.

I know. Still too soon.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

Mike and Tony aren’t going to do four hours of helo crash noises today?  Guess that’s reserved for Cy Young winners only.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Nick B
    Participant

Mike and Tony aren’t going to do four hours of helo crash noises today? Guess that’s reserved for Cy Young winners only.

Bummer, I was thinking we could’ve had a firing this week.

Lebron
    Participant

Classic Pete telling you how you should remember a person.  Look over here, not over there.

So sounds like the Bryant chopper may have gotten special permission to fly.  No one else was flying.   Told my wife it reminded me of the Ayalah (sp?) plane crash like 15-20 years ago where she overloaded the plane with luggage pilot told her it was too much and she said shut the fuck up and fly me.  He ends up dead.

Humphrey
    Participant

The word “arrogance” is reserved for situations involving the Patriots only. The worst you’ll get out of the national media on this is “tragic misjudgment” if it turns out that Kobe insisted they take off.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Kobe never did care much about shot selection.

chicowalker
    Participant

Bigger picture, it’s an unfortunate indictment of the hyper competitive/exploitative side of youth athletics.  No 13 year old’s basketball game was worth even sniffing this risk.  I saw a thing the other day detailing how much travel leBron’s son’s team has done this year, it’s fucking ridiculous.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Bigger picture, it’s an unfortunate indictment of the hyper competitive/exploitative side of youth athletics. No 13 year old’s basketball game was worth even sniffing this risk. I saw a thing the other day detailing how much travel leBron’s son’s team has done this year, it’s fucking ridiculous.

There’s a clip I saw with Kobe explaining that he took a helicopter everywhere so that he could zip back and forth, get a full practice in then get home in time to pick up his kids from school and not sit in traffic all day. Admirable parenting until the copter crashes.

Participant

If Stern were still alive, he’d probably give the Lakers some sort of cap relief.

8 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

The travel teams and the subsequent injuries to kids are fucking horrible.  HBO did a good piece recently on the injuries to kids and how orthopedic surgeons are seeing injuries in teens that are basically wear and tear injuries you shouldn’t see until late 20s/early 30s.  Kids ‘careers’ are ending before they graduate high school.

My kid’s soccer team is scheduled to travel to a tournament in Phoenix in February.  It’s this big tournament, like 500 teams across all age groups.  So airlines lick their chops and are charging $500 for flights from Denver to Phoenix leave Friday afternoon return Sunday night.  Hotel, rental car.  Even if the hotel includes breakfast you’re still looking at like 6 meals for you and the kid.  2 nights hotel and rental car.  Darn near 2 grand and at least north of 1500 for a soccer tournament?  Suck my dick.  Told the coach fuck that we’re out and got the well maybe he can fly with someone else or drive?  Fuck you.  I’m taking the whole family to Steamboat that weekend for less than 800 shitbird.  I’m sure the club will take it out on him somehow.  They can all blow me.

Coma
    Participant

I didn’t read any of PK’s column, but I saw a tweet from him where he asked Andy Reid if he could tag along on a work day during the bye week. Naturally, Reid said yes, but King seemed impressed/surprised when Reid told him he would pick him up at 3:15 AM. PK’s been covering the NFL for 4 decades, but the concept of “Football coaches go to work early” is evergreen to him.

It would really be noteworthy if his story went like this: “Reid told me he’d pick me up at 10 AM, but didn’t show up until 1. We didn’t go straight to the Chiefs facility after that, but to Golden Corral instead. It was Reid’s second visit of the day.”

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Leaving aside the sexual assault history, how sad am I supposed to be that rich guys making foolhardy choices with private aircraft and speedboats in adverse conditions kill themselves because of their own stupidity? Kobe, Halladay, that pitcher who killed himself in the boatcrash a few years ago? I feel sad for the 8 other people who got killed because Kobe said it’d be fine. If Kobe lived he’d be charged for reckless endangerment, wouldn’t he?

Lebron
    Participant

Did you hear Herm Edwards has to scale the fence at the Jets facility to get in, it’s not even open at that hour!  Jon Gruden sleeps 3 hours a night, can you believe it?  Welcome to 2001.

Lebron
    Participant

My kid asked ‘why would he be in a helicopter’ and I had to explain how super duper rich people travel and traffic is for peasants.

Lebron
    Participant

I think he was originally at the arena but love  that Kyrie basically up and left after hearing the Kobe news.  No explanation or anything, the equivalent of a no call no show.

I was amazed at the amount of athletes that said they spoke with Kobe all the time or he coached them on this and that.  It was all over the place from basketball players to tennis players and some college girl in Oregon to whatever else.  I get the feeling that if you took all of these people and put whatever amount of time he supposedly spoke to them it would turn into a Wilt Chamberlain math problem like he was talking to all of these people nonstop for 8 years straight.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

I think he was originally at the arena but love that Kyrie basically up and left after hearing the Kobe news. No explanation or anything, the equivalent of a no call no show.

I was amazed at the amount of athletes that said they spoke with Kobe all the time or he coached them on this and that. It was all over the place from basketball players to tennis players and some college girl in Oregon to whatever else. I get the feeling that if you took all of these people and put whatever amount of time he supposedly spoke to them it would turn into a Wilt Chamberlain math problem like he was talking to all of these people nonstop for 8 years straight.

You don’t think he was still avoiding Vanessa and the 3 kids who couldn’t hoop?

BrianInLA
    Participant

Phil Rivers taking his silly sidearm throwing motion elsewhere. Chargers are moving on. Bring on Tom…

Yahtzee
    Participant

Good article on front page of wsj.com but Word Press won’t let me link it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 140 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar