Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 1/27/2020-2/2/2020 Weekly Discusson Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Heck I thought you needed 2 of them. One of them was recording the pilots and one was doing something else. Who knows. Maybe they didn’t want them because of weight especially if they are optional?

If’ I’ve leaned anything from all those plane crash shows on TV you have one back box that records everything that goes on in the cockpit and another that serves as a flight data recorder that keeps track of everything going on with the plane.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Pete Maravich dropped dead at 40 or 41 playing pick up at a church.  Congenital heart defect.  Left behind a wife and 2 kids, ages 8 and 5. Impacted the game at both the college and pro levels, heck he only played 1 year with the 3 pointer and he was a bench player with the Celtics, hit them at a 66% clip, 10-15.  Granted it was 1988 but it seemed like it was a passing news item.  Now everyone is crying and wailing and podcasting and twittering about how their life is over because Kobe is dead.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Saw that as well where the pilot was flying the helicopter pretty low.  Probably a helicopter type thing because they go at like what 2500 feet?  Planes would try to get above it.

The “Colorado Incident” really is just a uh I guess we have to mention it but they mention it like it was a tragedy for Kobe.  Christ even if you believe he didn’t rape her, first he lied to the cops about having sex with her, then the description of what he did to her and his nonchalant yeah that’s my thing and I have this other side piece I do this to all the time she’s cool with it ask her.  And all these people are saying what a great family man he is?  Jesus he publicly bought off his wife with that audacious ring.  But it’s like none of it ever happened.

BrianInLA
    Participant

As I’ve been told “Everyone makes mistakes when they are young. Tell me you didn’t fuck up as a kid….”
    Uh, ok. Lets hope this attitude holds going forward for all others who pass on. And no, I never accidentally raped anyone as a kid.

jforb
    Participant

Lebron
    Participant

Spring training starts in 2 weeks, I think it would be funny if they went without a manager.  Astros woke up Dusty Baker.  Actually I’d die laughing if they hired Buck Showalter.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Scarnecchia retiring again.

Participant

Barnicle staking out the Kennedy Compound when they were still looking for JFK JR’s plane started it all, the interwebs have taken professional mourning/grieving/i’m sadder than you to glorious new heights.

Participant

Scarnecchia retiring again.

O’Brien now the GM of the Texans, Easterby has been named Exec VP of Football ops.

Lebron
    Participant

Thurman Munson dies mid season and sure Yankee players mourned but they didn’t miss any games and it came across as authentic when you had a guy like Jackson who supposedly hated him hat off getting emotional in right field.  Now you get cameras on players all weeping and teams postponing games and players on other teams bailing on games.  Munson was still playing!  Kobe’s been retired for 5 years and it’s we can’t possibly play.

Lebron
    Participant

I saw Larry Nance Jr eyes all welled up.  The guy who when the Lakers drafted him tweeted about the ‘Colorado Incident’ then I think he maybe deleted it when he got calls from his new team to knock that shit off.

Lebron
    Participant

The Marlins postponed their game the day of Fernandez’s death, that was an early morning news break so I can see that.

Coma
    Participant

It sure sounds like the pilot tried to fly under the fog and flew right into the side of a mountain from all the eyewitness accounts and the last voice transmission from the pilot. They have been making it VERY clear on tv here that the “Pilot has the final say if they fly no matter what. NO MATTER WHAT!!!” over and over again. I suppose that’s technically true but I’m sure if Kobe said “Hey, there’s an extra $5k in this if you get me to the game on time and if you don’t want to fly I’ll just get someone else to do it” that the pilot probably could have been talked into it. To not fault him at all is just more stupid media. Brady gets ripped for posting a pic of his kids shirtless in an artistic and loving pic. Kobe puts his kid in danger, she ends up dying in a senseless accident, and he’s a hero?

We’re probably less than 24 hours from someone sharing “Kobe always counseled me against flying in poor conditions/Kobe once talked my personal pilot out of taking us up in questionable conditions” stories. It’s totally believable that the super wealthy global icon who owned the helicopter had no influence on whether they flew or not. He and the other passengers were basically hostages of some hotshot pilot with a God complex.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

As a tribute to Kobe, every team’s best player will try to dribble through the entire opposing defense for every possession all game.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Planes were not allowed in nor out of LAX until about 11am but somehow only Kobe’s pilot was given the green light and Kobe’s name had nothing to do with that? Delta and United weren’t allowed to fly but Kobe was? And its not his fault even a tiny bit? I’m sure rich assholes break the rules all of the time and nothing ever happens. But when it finally bites them in the ass at least call them on it and don’t pretend they are frigging Buddy Holly.

Big Fat O
    Participant

This Kobe tribute is getting a little overboard. He was a great basketball player and a mentor to the players but what else did he do.

Based on this when Bird, Magic and Russell die they’ll need a 3 day funeral given what they did for the league.

Humphrey
    Participant

Spring training starts in 2 weeks, I think it would be funny if they went without a manager. Astros woke up Dusty Baker. Actually I’d die laughing if they hired Buck Showalter.

If Nick was still walking the earth, I’d also be insisting they hire Showalter or some other Good Baseball Man type.

This Kobe tribute is getting a little overboard. He was a great basketball player and a mentor to the players but what else did he do.

Based on this when Bird, Magic and Russell die they’ll need a 3 day funeral given what they did for the league.

Just waiting for it to be over. Was seeing some pretty goddam ludicrous Twitter suggestions:

“Every team should retire both his numbers!”

So now he’s Jackie fucking Robinson.

“Make his silhouette the new NBA logo.”

Cause we all remember the time Jerry West choked a bitch while violating from behind. Hey, there’s a silhouette idea!

Lefty

What about Jordan if he kicked tomorrow?  Would they cancel the 2020-2021 season?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Michael Jordan’s gotta be looking at this outpouring and considering faking his death in spectacular fashion.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

The helicopter didn’t have some terrain identifier thing that they are recommended to have.

This girl dad stuff is nauseating.  I guess the women he choked/sodomized/blasted in their face weren’t girls with dads.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Nice win for the Celtics last night.

Nice win for Thiem this morning/last night/today (time zone kills me).

Lebron
    Participant

Kid mentioned Jordan this morning, namely would I be subjected to all of this if Michael Jordan died?  I said it would be a bit similar but in general likely not the same with players throwing themselves on the coffin.

I get that many of today’s players idolized him as their favorite player and don’t know much if anything about the “Colorado Incident” because it was so successfully swept under the rug.  But all of the tears and oh my god stuff is absurd.

RedSeat
    Participant

Exclusive look at the new NBA logo:

7 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

The helicopter didn’t have some terrain identifier thing that they are recommended to have.

This girl dad stuff is nauseating. I guess the women he choked/sodomized/blasted in their face weren’t girls with dads.

Ya, why would they need that considering all of the terrain out here is nothing but hills and mountains. Seems logical. I’m ready for it to come out that Kobe was actually flying the copter and he will be even more of a hero because he purposely crashed the copter on a hill and not into a crowded shopping center.  :wall:

The people at work who never followed a second of Lakers/NBA that are in mourning is comedy on a whole new level. One lady actually was telling the story that when her sons blows his nose he would throw the tissues into the trash can and pretend that he’s Kobe and he’s completely crushed and hasn’t stopped crying. It took every ounce of my will to not reply with some snarky assrape comment. This kid is 9. Kobe retired 5 years ago. Did this kid even see a single live moment of Kobe’s career?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 140 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar