Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 1/27/2020-2/2/2020 Weekly Discusson Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    Participant

BILA, Saw something last night that they are thinking about moving the memorial service from Staples to the Coliseum?

BrianInLA
    Participant

They should move it to Coachella as it sounds like about 2 million people are planning on attending. I really am completely baffled by this. I know part of it is the LA thing and things are more “important” in LA/NY but damn. I brought up the point that was mentioned earlier about Magic/Bird/Jordan and I’ve now been told over and over that Kobe is far bigger and more popular than Magic AND Jordan. But really, WHAT did the guy do? Cure cancer? He opened a school with his extra millions that he stole from the Lakers by crippling their franchise for the past 10 or so years. Also the logo changing is getting traction.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

I get the impression it’s more about the 23 hours a day he apparently spent on the phone with current players, at least as far as they’re concerned. Not sure why the fans care, career lining up with when millennials would start following is all I can come up with.

Lebron
    Participant

That gets glossed over too, namely he wouldn’t hang it up and kept collecting paychecks and crushing their cap.  I recall Jurgen Klinsman referred to the Kobe contract when talking about not naming Landon Donovan to the national team and saying that the guy isn’t good enough anymore and Americans can’t get their heads around letting go of a guy.

I also remember when he got pissy in a playoff game against the Suns and refused to do anything in the game in order to prove how important he was.  Also called a ref an effing f*g.  Hell might as well cancel the Haj and hold the memorial at Mecca.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I’m sure it’s my inner Pro-Patriots bias but these last two weeks seem to be devoid of the usual SuperBowl Hype. I’m sure that’s not true around KC but things still seem pretty meh to me.

jforb
    Participant

Anyone else completely forget about this?

Roger Goodell: Investigation of Patriots is ongoing, “extremely thorough”

Coma
    Participant

Anyone else completely forget about this?

Roger Goodell: Investigation of Patriots is ongoing, “extremely thorough”

Those fucking clowns. A year after the NFL convinced everyone that changing the PSI in a football was the equivalent of having 2 extra players on offense, they cleared the Steelers of deflating footballs in less than an hour. The Wells Report was 243 pages while the statement clearing Manning of HGH use was 3 paragraphs on a single page. Eli scamming NFL fans with fake memorabilia was not violation of the personal conduct policy. The Ravens’ bluetooth violation has been buried. Meanwhile, they are doing a painful audit of every aspect of a Kraft Sports employee filming something of zero value. They could have said what was obvious from the start “A non-football operations person was ignorant of the press box filming rules and committed a violation. The organization is fined $50k.” Instead, we’re 2 months into a “thorough investigation.” :rollseyes:

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Hey Rog, anything on that Saints investigation giving marketing advice for child rapists?  Is this thing on?  Hello?  Rog?  Anything?

Lebron
    Participant

I’m sure it’s my inner Pro-Patriots bias but these last two weeks seem to be devoid of the usual SuperBowl Hype. I’m sure that’s not true around KC but things still seem pretty meh to me.

I would have been dialed in to NFL Network the last 2 nights for sure normally.  Barely feels like there’s a game being played.  Mostly because I have no interest but also I’m not surrounded by Chiefs or Niners fans.  I work with one Chiefs guy, but he’s been pretty quiet about it.

Participant

We can’t all be as transparent as the Olde Towne Team when releasing players El Globo…..

Chiefs’ Mike Pennel implies Patriots lacked ‘transparency’ during his New England tenure

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I think the Lombardi podcast was the one that said the Super Bowl hype this year was muted due to lingering Kobe sadness.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

That gets glossed over too, namely he wouldn’t hang it up and kept collecting paychecks and crushing their cap. I recall Jurgen Klinsman referred to the Kobe contract when talking about not naming Landon Donovan to the national team and saying that the guy isn’t good enough anymore and Americans can’t get their heads around letting go of a guy.

I also remember when he got pissy in a playoff game against the Suns and refused to do anything in the game in order to prove how important he was. Also called a ref an effing f*g. Hell might as well cancel the Haj and hold the memorial at Mecca.

Tell me you didn’t call a ref a f*g when you were a kid…. :dry:

Lebron
    Participant

I was stunned to see ESPN ran a story where they interviewed Mark Hulbert, the DA in Eagle for the Kobe case.  Decent read in that Hulbert talks about how overwhelmed and outmatched he was with Kobe’s law firm and PR machine.  Nice of the attorney to drop the accuser’s name in court 6 times.  I worked with a guy that went to law school with him, said he was no doubt capable of trying the case but had never been up against something like this.

Coma
    Participant

Maybe it’s too easy, but I blame the preponderance of social media and the hottake culture that has taken over sports journalism. I would have been really bummed out if Bird died in a car accident in ’96 or Jordan was in a plane crash in ’04, but my main avenue of expressing that would have been talking to my friends in person, on the phone or via email. There was no avenue to announce publicly how sad I was or to see other people saying the same thing. Now, it’s almost a competition to see who can mourn the hardest or come up with the most over the top way to memorialize Kobe.

Edit to add: It’s been brought up on Twitter, but Brady gets more flak over having a Trump hat in his locker for one day and posting pictures of his kids than Kobe did for rape. For the people who claim nothing happened and it was all consensual, they still dismiss that Bryant was cheating on his wife. That’s a pretty big thing to dismiss if you’re claiming someone is an all around wonderful person. We can only guess now, but would Kobe the Girl Dad be okay with a son-in-law cheating on one of his daughters?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Coma.
    Lebron
    Participant

He was in to choking and blowing his load on their faces.  But hey he asked if he could blow his load in her face, like a gentleman.

Boys typically go with SportsCenter in the morning, which I get as it gives them a run down of sports stuff and they haven’t learned to be put off by the ESPN schtick yet, but the didn’t bother this morning.  Sick of the Kobe stuff.

Lebron
    Participant

I will never understand why radio stations send their zoo crews to the Super Bowl when the local team isn’t participating in the game.  One local station here sent both the morning and the afternoon drive shows to Miami.  Of course radio stations are all being gobbled up by either IHeartRadio or some other media company, and are cutting people left and right.  So send multiple crews to the site of a game that the local team isn’t even playing in.  Good business model.

Participant

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

You get a free bowl of soup with that hat?

Coma
    Participant

You get a free bowl of soup with that hat?

There’s a lobster roll on the back.

And, no, I’m not joking.

jforb
    Participant

That’s only the second dumbest thing I’ve seen today after the NBA ASG rules.

Lebron
    Participant

Holy shit on that NBA ASG rules, but I guess anything to cover up that the salary cap is going to go down given the revenue dive.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I started to read them but had to stop because my eyes rolling so far back in my head.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Did Forsburg have a stroke or Bell’s palsy. Looks like the right side of his mouth is lame.

Coma
    Participant

Regarding 02062’s post about Pennel and the Globe article, I’m pretty sure Almost-A-Coach opined that signing Pennel in the first place was a sign of desperation by the Patriots. This was because he had been suspended for PEDs in the past and, in Craig’s squinty eyes, was a risky acquisition. Now, the Globe is telling us the Patriots really could have used Pennel to stop Derrick Henry and the Chiefs were smart to pick him up. It’s almost like different teams are held to different standards.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

Hey Rog, anything on that Saints investigation giving marketing advice for child rapists? Is this thing on? Hello? Rog? Anything?

Continuing a tradition of tone-deafness, the league announced today that they’re not going to look into the Saints-NO Catholic Church communications. I’m sure the league’s reaction and burial by the media would be the same if the Patriots were involved.

I’m interested why, aside from proximity, the Church would reach out to the Saints. What expertise would they have to offer for that type of situation? I could see if they contacted the Boston Diocese or the Red Sox, but the Saints?

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 140 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar