Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 1/28/19 – 2/1/19 Pre-Super Bowl Thread

This topic contains 175 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  Chuck Schick 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 176 total)
  • Author

NASCL
    Participant

I figure we’ll start it fresh on Super Bowl weekend.

Turns out the guy on the hood was actually calling his bookie.

Participant

Boston.Com has no Mindy Kaling updates today but does have an “what experts were saying” from when BB was hired.

Some beauties:

Ted Sarandis:  “Parcells snookered Bob Kraft again.  This guy has a worse record than Pete Carroll.  What kind of coach is he when the players want him?  The inmates are running the asylum.  I wouldn’t hire Belichick to run a Burger King.”

Butch Stearns:  “I still think Tom Donahoe is the key.  The Patriots need a football guy to run the team.  We know Belichick is a good coach, but is he a leader?  Coaches comes and go, but you need someone to run the organization.”

Karen Guregian:  “Football coaches worth surrendering first-round draft picks for:  Vince Lombardi.  George Halas.  Paul Brown.  Bill Parcells.  Joe Gibbs.  Don Shula.  Chuck Noll.  Tom Landry, Bill Walsh.  Sorry folks.  Bill Belichick does not fit the mold.  He is not in that coaching stratosphere.  Not in my book, anyway.  … We just don’t have any evidence Belichick is that caliber of coach.  He has yet to prove his mettle.  He hasn’t won a darn thing as a head coach.  And that’s the point”

Steve Buckley:  “Its not just that the Browns fell apart during Belichick’s last year on the shores of Lake Erie; it’s that Belichick, during that last season, developed a bunker mentality and allowed few people, if anyone, to get close to him.  Making with the ha-ha-ha with a bunch of sportswriters during those midweek pressers is not going to make Belichick a better coach.  Nor will it make the Patriots a better team.  But if Belichick can learn to chill a little, to laugh at himself, to see the world as something more than a great big ol’ Football field, the betting  here is that he’ll sleep better at night.  And if he sleeps better at night, he’ll be better equipped for the day-to-day rigors of coaching a National Football League team.”

Humphrey
    Participant

You mean Nick didn’t bring up Tom Donahoe, who ended up being the JP Ricciardi of Nick’s tenure covering the Pats?

Oh, by the way, how controversial that the Yanks let someone wear 0!   What an affront to the game!   What about having guys wearing 91 and 90; aren’t those reserved for defensive linemen?

1 user thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

Boston.Com has no Mindy Kaling updates today but does have an “what experts were saying” from when BB was hired.

Look again

2 users thanked author for this post.

Claude45
    Participant

Buckley recommending the solution to Belichick being a better coach is cozying up to the media pays $2.10. He is now and always has been an arrogant, useless douchebag.

9 users thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

The groupthink in that gaggle of media is staggering. Buckley was the most revealing, of course: if Bill weren’t so darned mean to the press, everything would be different. And no mention of the impact that Art Modell had on that disastrous 1995 Browns’ season makes that whole point intellectually dishonest. My dim memory of it all was that Saint Willie, of all people, had a positive take on the hiring and that, in the three or so years he lived to cover the Belichick regime, he was pretty much right down the middle in his columns and commentary on radio forums like the Bill Parcells Show and on Sean’s afternoon talker on 1510 the Zone.

Sarandis, great judge of coaching character, is a real beaut, too. That guy would have handed the keys to the kingdom and the nuclear codes to Rick Pitino …

5 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

It’s almost as if Peter has no NFL watching experience at all.

“It is disconcerting that Goodell, who entered the league as a PR intern three-and-a-half decades ago, has been so weak-kneed in hiding from the onslaught of this controversy. “

Arrogance?  Hubris?  Both?

“Goodell has a new high-powered PR team around him, but he’s never been one to take much advice in how to respond to public crises. That frustrated some of his now departed PR appointees, who found that he listened to their advice but usually did what he wanted regardless.”

Ben Watson, victim.

“On the flip side, I struggled while I was there, mentally, because of the way Coach Belichick coaches. It’s so demanding.”

Which is it Ben?

“I look back with mixed feelings on New England, but a lot of gratitude.”

InThisTown
    Participant

Waaaahh he’s so demanding.

9 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

Buckley recommending the solution to Belichick being a better coach is cozying up to the media pays $2.10. He is now and always has been an arrogant, useless douchebag.

There are no words. God, what an asshole.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Nick B
    Participant

speaking of useless douche bags, what was the take from Shank and the PMOW on this?

Claude45
    Participant

Ben Watson has made over $32 million in his career just in salary/bonus according to Sporttrac. Including over $7 million with the Pats.

He could’ve had a much less demanding job if he was willing to walk away from some cash. The nerve to pay someone millions of dollars and demand effort!

3 users thanked author for this post.

NASCL
    Participant

Consider him exposed and squashed.

Yahtzee
    Participant

“It is disconcerting that Goodell, who entered the league as a PR intern three-and-a-half decades ago, has been so weak-kneed in hiding from the onslaught of this controversy. “

What is the situation that Goodell has handled best in his career? Is there one to point to?

Participant

What is the situation that Goodell has handled best in his career? Is there one to point to?

Having chili with Peter?

4 users thanked author for this post.

RedSeat
    Participant

No, I think you found the right words.

7 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

No, I think you found the right words.

:lol:

Participant

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

All you need to know:

A look at the Globe’s game plan for covering the Super Bowl

The goal is to come up with engaging stories and smart commentary — all without duplicating storylines we might have covered before.

Followed by:

DAN SHAUGHNESSY

//c.o0bg.com/rf/image_90x90/Boston/2011-2020/2019/01/28/BostonGlobe.com/Sports/Images/shaughnessy1-26097.jpgSuper Bowl coaching matchup is a clash of generations

Bill Belichick is literally twice as old as his counterpart with the Rams, Sean

Claude45
    Participant

On Buckley, I’m sure I mentioned it on here before but I’ve got time to kill sitting on a useless conference call and I like to remind people that he’s a gigantic asshole.

Buck was on with Mikey Adams one night. Miley was setting up the topics at the top of the show. Papelbon was on fire and his ERA was something crazy, it was well under 1.0. Mikey is going through topics and says “Papelbon’s ERA can’t get any lower….” Buck pipes up “whoa, whoa, whoa..hold on there. His ERA is not zero, it can go lower.” Buck had a real edge. Mikey responds with he didn’t mean literally, blah, blah. Buck is incredibly nasty and won’t let it go. It becomes a couple of minutes of Buck chastising Mikey for a throw away line. He just keeps jumping all over Adams.

Long story short, I actually felt bad for Mikey when he dejectedly had to give in to move the show along. Buck is an asshole.

chicowalker
    Participant

Wayne Newton vs. Wayne’s World

I mean…maybe use lil’ Wayne? Wayne’s World came out when Sean mcVay was 7, and the skit on SNL probably debuted when he was a toddler. Dana Carvey is 3 years younger than BB.

Lebron
    Participant

Bill sent a note to Dungy after Dungy’s kid died and stood up for Dungy when he got upset about the sponsor stuff and volunteered to give part of his salary to the league if it meant not having to do sponsor stuff that was objectionable?  That can’t be right.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Wayne Newton vs. Wayne’s World

I mean…maybe use lil’ Wayne? Wayne’s World came out when Sean mcVay was 7, and the skit on SNL probably debuted when he was a toddler. Dana Carvey is 3 years younger than BB.

He didn’t, did he?

Lebron
    Participant

Patriots are paying for Josh Gordon’s treatment?  That can’t be right.

3 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

Bill sent a note to Dungy after Dungy’s kid died and stood up for Dungy when he got upset about the sponsor stuff and volunteered to give part of his salary to the league if it meant not having to do sponsor stuff that was objectionable? That can’t be right.

Yet I know Dungy never did anything for Bill because it would have been covered by everyone to show what a great guy he is.

Coma
    Participant

Patriots are paying for Josh Gordon’s treatment? That can’t be right.

They’ll never make payroll now!

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by  Coma.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 176 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar