Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 1/28/19 – 2/1/19 Pre-Super Bowl Thread

This topic contains 175 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  Chuck Schick 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 176 total)
  • Author

Participant

Patriots are paying for Josh Gordon’s treatment? That can’t be right.

Cap violation – 3 1st rounders please

Lebron
    Participant

I want to tear the throats of people that refer to Anthony Davis as ‘Brow’

2 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

I went to see the “Four Games in Fall” movie last night. I was predisposed to like the film (it’s about Brady getting railroaded in deflategate) and was prepared to agree with it’s premise and conclusions, but I thought everything (pacing, content, topics, interviewees) was very well done. There were about 40 other people in the theater, which was 35 more than I was expecting. If you followed the story, there was probably nothing new in there, but it was nice to see everything from the original accusation to the federal cases addressed in one place. Something that the movie drove home was that, from the start, Brady and the Patriots were a step behind the league. The NFL controlled the story from the start, so they were always at a disadvantage. As far as potential negatives, Thornton is part of the film as the “voice of the fan.” They would have Robert Blecker, Michael McCann, or John Leonard make some point and cut to Thornton, who would try and it put in plain language. He wasn’t trying to be funny and wasn’t bailing on the team because they lost a game in September, so he did a good job in his role. Shank also makes a cameo appearance. He’s shown asking a question at a press conference, but there’s no audio for him and he’s not identified. He’s on screen long just enough for you to boo him.

After the movie, there was a panel discussion with Julie Marron (the director), the producer, Andrew Wilson (a professor who was interviewed in the film) and the Patriots’ attorney, Dan Goldberg. Marron, who said she wasn’t a football fan, said that one of the factors that motivated her to make the movie was listening to deflategate being discussed on sports talk radio in 2015. She’s from RI, so EEI and 98.5 drove someone to make a movie correcting the terrible narrative they were pushing. That’s a nice twist because there are several examples of people who hate the Patriots deciding to write books based on the coverage their “scandals” received.

Goldberg also said a couple of interesting things. One, that I’m pretty sure was also mentioned in the film, was that Brady believed that, by testifying under oath at the appeal hearing, Goodell would take that into account and come around to the fact that nothing happened. Brady thought he could reach Goodell on a personal level, but he clearly had too high of an opinion of Roger (the last part is my interpretation, not Goldberg’s.)

The second story was not brought up in the film. Goldberg said that, when the Wells Report was complete, Ted Wells called him and asked if he would like to come to NY and read it. I forget the exact timeline, but it was something like, Wells called on a Tuesday and the report was going to be released on Thursday morning. Goldberg goes to Wells’ office on Wednesday to read the report. The conditions are that he can’t take any notes, make any copies or take any pictures. There is a paralegal in the room to make sure he’s just reading the report and nothing more. (As an aside, Goldberg also said that, when the league finally shared the actual PSI numbers with him, they originally forbade him from telling Kraft what the numbers were. They relaxed that to no one outside the Patriots being allowed to know.) When Goldberg is done, he calls Brady to let him know what the report says and what to expect the next day. He said that, after getting the news, there was a pause, and then Brady said something like “I know what happened and what didn’t happen and I can’t control what other people are going to think.” He concluded by saying that the Tom Brady you see in interviews is the real Brady. That’s not a public facade and the real guy behind the scenes is a jerk or brooding or egotistical. The public Brady is the real deal.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Coma.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Coma.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Interesting post, Coma. Thanks.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Run to your radio … EEI has Tomase and Reimer on tonight. The 3 minutes I heard were as expected.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Participant

“Water animals and birds, it’s not really on land and they can fly and they can swim – it’s not really my element.”

”Had a run in with some seagulls, I was with my friend Jessie.  I’ll never forget it, it was crazy.”

Aqib can’t remember the circumstances which led to him being shot but he remembers a run in with a seagull.

i miss that crazy bastard.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Thanks, Coma. I didn’t know there was such a film but I’m glad that there is and it seems so well put together. I always thought Deflategate should be a season of Serial.

I don’t know after Spygate how Brady could be so naive about Goodell that he thought there was a chance that Goodell could be swayed by actual logic. Goodell’s either a terrible dick or a weakling doing the bidding of terrible dicks in the other owners.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Goldberg also said a couple of interesting things. One, that I’m pretty sure was also mentioned in the film, was that Brady believed that, by testifying under oath at the appeal hearing, Goodell would take that into account and come around to the fact that nothing happened. Brady thought he could reach Goodell on a personal level, but he clearly had too high of an opinion of Roger (the last part is my interpretation, not Goldberg’s.)

I think Brady eventually realized the kind of slimy agenda-ridden people he was dealing with, and that the question of his innocence didn’t matter. It was just a weapon to punish. The justness or un-justness of the weapon didn’t matter to the people who wanted to use it. At some point in interviews he started saying that larger forces were at work at that it really “wasn’t about me”.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

The Globe is mixing up their hitpiece during Superbowl week approach with a special episode of the Hernandez podcast focused on injury and opioid abuse in the NFL featuring Ryan O’Callaghan and Brandon Lloyd!

Happy SB week everyone!

Claude45
    Participant

Thanks, Coma. I didn’t know there was such a film but I’m glad that there is and it seems so well put together. I always thought Deflategate should be a season of Serial.

I don’t know after Spygate how Brady could be so naive about Goodell that he thought there was a chance that Goodell could be swayed by actual logic. Goodell’s either a terrible dick or a weakling doing the bidding of terrible dicks in the other owners.

He can be both and he is both.

Suzy
    Participant

Goodell is both things you describe.

Brady is a decent & honest man who assumed basic decency and honesty were traits he could appeal to in others (on which point, as we all know, he was sadly dead wrong). Tough lesson but I don’t think he’ll ever change (thankfully) nor will they. He is and will remain good and they will always be rotten to the fucking core.

Claude45
    Participant

So with Devin McCourty contemplating retirement, he will be the next guy the media has told me for years has been a disappointment but now, it’s doom and gloom if he steps away.

Media view. Part of the ongoing Rutgers punchline. Was drafted in the first round and mocked as a “4 down player, a special teamer”. Had a great rookie season at corner then failed his way into safety. Was overpaid in his last contract by the otherwise cheap Pats not for ability/performance because Belichick loves him and he’s a Pats suck up. If you ever said he was one the best safeties in the league, the media would mock you mercilessly.

But now, “how do you replace a Devin McCourty? you can’t” will be the order of the day.

10 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

That video at the end of Bedard’s daily thing is as creepy as I think it is, right? The taking of it, not the content.

Claude45
    Participant

It stunning to me how adding meaningless, boring and irrelevant details/humblebrags/brags to a story really makes Petey King feel like he’s delivering gold.  The most tedious man in the world……

In some interview he’s describing how he starts his day (the best way to start the day on case you’re wondering) “..and sit down, with shredded wheat, and blueberries….” On and on and on and on.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Claude45.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Claude45.
    5 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

“The most tedious man in the world.”

Stay thirsty for a foamy choclatelty latte my friend.

6 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

Lebron
    Participant

That McCourty comment about possible retirement if they win bummed me out.  I get it, and it makes sense.  Still bummed me out.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Bill was really, really voluble last night. A real “hay’s in the barn” performance:

Claude45
    Participant

Lunchtime reading from Joe

Wow. I know he is tremendously proud of the following line to real estate agents.

“You are ghostwriting your client’s legacies…”

This makes less sense than an LJ cartoon. It means and says NOTHING.

Lebron
    Participant

“…and another organization” referring to coaching with Parcells and the Jets is the money shot.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

It stunning to me how adding meaningless, boring and irrelevant details/humblebrags/brags to a story really makes Petey King feel like he’s delivering gold. The most tedious man in the world……

In some interview he’s describing how he starts his day (the best way to start the day on case you’re wondering) “..and sit down, with shredded wheat, and blueberries….” On and on and on and on.

Entitled fraud/jackass *is* the most tedious man in the world–well said! It’s infuriating how much he skates on his horse shit.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

“…and another organization” :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Big Fat O
    Participant

You know it’s the Super Bowl when the Globe has the spotlight article ready for the Pats.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

It stunning to me how adding meaningless, boring and irrelevant details/humblebrags/brags to a story really makes Petey King feel like he’s delivering gold. The most tedious man in the world……

Entitled fraud/jackass *is* the most tedious man in the world–well said! It’s infuriating how much he skates on his horse shit.

I got a sickening mental picture when I read about Fatty “sitting down” and eating, you know, fiber and fruit.

:puke: :rollseyes:

Humphrey
    Participant

You know it’s the Super Bowl when the Globe has the spotlight article ready for the Pats.

Highpants Bob and Jackie The Cock are no doubt warming up in the bullpen too.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 176 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar