Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 1/3/2017 Daily Thread

This topic contains 64 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Coma 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Author

chicowalker
    Participant

I’ve thought of that too.  CAHF played in college so I’ll give him due props.  I’ve played very little organized ball in my life- I’m loathe to say my game is street, because it’s not (especially offensively) but I’m much more comfortable in a game where leveling somebody (and getting leveled, and the threat thereof) is acceptable :ph34r:

Callahardfoul
    Participant

I was good in HS. Had one nominally productive season of D3 college hoops and primarily rode the bench otherwise before quitting the team.  Definitely on the bottom half of the roster. I’ve played better basketball as I got older and took a little better care of my body, but I’ve never been a natural long distance shooter.

Hoops is great to break up the monotony of other exercise, and finding a 30 and over league has been huge for me. At age 40, I have completely changed my mindset on the sport. For 30 year old players and older, the #1 thing that matters, above talent, is being in running shape. Players who can just get out and run and hustle are 2x as valuable as a more talented player when you’re playing in a men’s league.

chicowalker
    Participant

Concur.  I’ve lost (and kept off) about 30lbs in the last 3 years, and the effect on my game has been great.  I’m not as stout as I was in the post- I can be pushed off the spot easier (being on the small end of “big guys” whenever there’s a 6’5 dude around, I inevitably am guarding him, at 6’1) but I just don’t get winded like I used to, can actually run the break (not as ballhandler, please) etc

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Concur. I’ve lost (and kept off) about 30lbs in the last 3 years, and the effect on my game has been great. I’m not as stout as I was in the post- I can be pushed off the spot easier (being on the small end of “big guys” whenever there’s a 6’5 dude around, I inevitably am guarding him, at 6’1) but I just don’t get winded like I used to, can actually run the break (not as ballhandler, please) etc

I originally read this as 300lbs  :blink:   :blink:

Claude45
    Participant

Anybody know the story behind Minihane’s tweet about making Shaughnessy begging not to be called Shank on the radio? Im blocked from viewing Shank’s tweets.

Shank had a Hardo tweet something like “if you have Brady as your profile pic, you’re a fanboy and your Patriots opinions me don’t matter.”

The responses to his trolling were pretty funny–a bunch of them mocked his old man attempt at a hashtag. He is hated.

Gerry Callahan would say that’s good because columnists are supposed to be hated. That attitude is so wrong and drives the existence of this site. Jim Murray, long of the LA Times and one of the best in history, didn’t need to be hated. That attitude is just a tonic to allow bitter, lonely men to get to sleep at night.

They could try to be interesting writers but I guess that’s gotten away from them.

Claude45
    Participant

Dummy Volin pushing the Francesa argument of “fewer SB losses is better” paid $2.10

Not figuratively, pre-millennial literally, the dumbest argument ever on any subject. There is NO logical stand point where losing earlier in the playoffs means you’re a better player. NONE. In those seasons, Montana is better because he lost to a lesser team earlier in the playoffs? So is Archie Manning the best playoff QB ever because he never lost a playoff game and Montana has lost some?

Painfully dumb even by sports media standards.

Lebron
    Participant

I went all out last spring and put in a really nice hoop – Megaslam brand – went with the 54″ instead of the 60″ backboard but otherwise this thing is the shit.  Easily adjustable height wise, has the post padding and everything.  I remember my dad putting in a hoop for me as a kid, dig a couple feet deep, bag or 2 of quick drying concrete, 8 or so Buds.  Of course if the wind blew hard or you left a jumper an inch short and the rim/backboard assembly shook/moved like a 6.7 just hit.  Dug a hole 4 feet deep and poured almost a thousand pounds of concrete, that son of a bitch ain’t going anywhere.  What’s nice about these hoops is that you pour the concrete then you insert rebar like poles and a plate that hold the bastard in.  Wait a couple days then complete the assembly, a couple of buddies and a pickup are required.  If one were so inclined you can take the hoop with you if you move, just need to get a new rebar/plate kit.

Long way of saying I’m back to working on my game, mostly dominating against neighborhood 10 year olds.  It’s been fucking awesome.

Lebron
    Participant

Posted twice for some reason

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by  Lebron.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Do Nick’s chicken arms ever get tired from carrying so much water? Today’s splooge leads with a link and a push toward Season Ticket or whatever that podcast that I’ll never listen to is and them tumbles into Nick’s Big Crusade. The subject is whether the Red Sox are being intransigent on Nick’s imperative for this week: signing JD Martinez, now and damn the cost or how he would fit.  (Nick continually forgets Hanley Ramirez and his not-inconsiderable contract, but that’s no doubt due to the fact that despite untold years in the clubhouse buffet line, Cafardo still views himself as a GM based on his savvy in trading baseball cards  long ago.)

But here’s his big scoop:

“It’s [Boston] where Boras would love to place his client and where it seems to make the most sense.”

Chances Boras placed that exact same “client has special feel for [city] and it would make the most sense for [local team]” in say, another dozen or so cities? 100%. But Nick (and his “insights”) are “special.”

Yahtzee
    Participant

Dwayne Wade is still alive and Rosemary Clooney isn’t? Damn you, 2018.

Tom Pepper
    Participant

I don’t think I have ever seen Semi Ojeleye make a shot.

chicowalker
    Participant

The third quarter saw Jae crowders greatest hits on (I believe) three straight possessions -short arm a 3, miss a layup, push off offensive foul. So gals I don’t have to pretend to tolerate that shit anymore

Yahtzee
    Participant

Not a terribly competitive game. That’s a shame.

chicowalker
    Participant

Tony mazz said he’d think the Celtics could be considered legit “with, like, a 15 point win” so technically….

Coma
    Participant

I saw the opening to Outside the Lines for the first time in a long, long time. They have “Follow the truth” as a graphic in the opening credits. Yeah, Bob “The hell it isn’t, Tom” Ley is going to lead everyone to the truth :rollseyes:

I went to the OTL page to try and confirm what I saw, and they have the Anonymous Source Brother’s smear article on the Patriots as #2 in their list of Editor’s Picks. The video that accompanies the article is included in their top 5 videos. Both are 2 1/2 years old. I guess nothing happened in the sports world in 2016 or 2017 that might have knocked those stories out of the OTL rotation.

Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar