Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 1/4/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 51 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Doncabesa 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Celts pound Cavs. BombCyclone keeps non-essentials home.

• This topic was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by  Nashua Dad.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

It always comes back to baseball, Danny.

Humphrey
    Participant

When does the “Bombin” commence?   In MetroWest, looks like just another snowstorm presently.

chicowalker
    Participant

It’s on the way. Wind whipping like a MF in providence.

BrianInLA
    Participant

When did this BombCyclone become a thing? Everyone keeps asking me about it and I’m as clueless as anyone. What marketing genius came up with this term?

Lebron
    Participant

People in Oregon freaking out about pumping their own gas is amazing.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

When did this BombCyclone become a thing? Everyone keeps asking me about it and I’m as clueless as anyone. What marketing genius came up with this term?

I blame the Weather Channel. They’re the geniuses who also decided to name winter storms like hurricanes. This one is apparently named Grayson.   :lol:   You can’t make this stuff up.

Actually, you can, I guess.  :lol:

Participant

Snowing sideways  and low vis here in the gateway to Woonsocket.

Bravo to the tiny weather lady today.

Ironhead
    Participant

I don’t know the man, but I’m very confident Greg Bedard is a pompous, know-nothing fraud.

The mission statement of his website belies everything he’s revealed on air.  He has no fucking idea what he’s looking at more often than not.   He oozes smarm, thinks he’s the smartest person in the room.  I started chronicling his weekly appearances on Twitter because they’re so terrible and transparent.  Everything he thinks is a Last-Thing-I-Saw-APalooza of takez.  On just one subject, the Patriots running game:

• James White doesn’t belong on an NFL roster
    • James White:  “Always a shoestring tackle away…”
    • Dion Lewis may not make the team in ’17
    • It’s clear that Rex Burkhead is the most talented back on the team
    • Lewis is explosive, but you can’t let him touch the ball too much
    • It’s clear to anyone that Dion Lewis is the best back on the team and needs the ball

He’s a vile, condescending, sloppy beta-male mess of a man.  He’s completely intimidated by Felger and can get his brain tied in a knot by Tony fucking Mazz.

I hate him and will relentlessly attack him, because my OCD is laser-focused on his venture and is locked in on exposing him as a charlatan and mocking him endlessly.

Big Fat O
    Participant

I don’t know the man, but I’m very confident Greg Bedard is a pompous, know-nothing fraud. The mission statement of his website belies everything he’s revealed on air. He has no fucking idea what he’s looking at more often than not. He oozes smarm, thinks he’s the smartest person in the room. I started chronicling his weekly appearances on Twitter because they’re so terrible and transparent. Everything he thinks is a Last-Thing-I-Saw-APalooza of takez. On just one subject, the Patriots running game:

• James White doesn’t belong on an NFL roster
    • James White: “Always a shoestring tackle away…”
    • Dion Lewis may not make the team in ’17
    • It’s clear that Rex Burkhead is the most talented back on the team
    • Lewis is explosive, but you can’t let him touch the ball too much
    • It’s clear to anyone that Dion Lewis is the best back on the team and needs the ball

He’s a vile, condescending, sloppy beta-male mess of a man. He’s completely intimidated by Felger and can get his brain tied in a knot by Tony fucking Mazz. I hate him and will relentlessly attack him, because my OCD is laser-focused on his venture and is locked in on exposing him as a charlatan and mocking him endlessly.

A Ted Nation round of applause for your fine work. I agree with everyone of your points.

Kevin
    Participant

There was a point yesterday where Felger saw Bedard smiling and said, “I know you know more than you’re letting on” about “Robert” telling “Bill” that he had to trade “Jimmy”.  (He has to use first names to make it sound more believable).   You could basically hear Bedard wondering how he could come off sounding like he had inside info but not go so far as to tell what definitely happened.

It was so transparent and obviously made up bullshit speculation.   But I guess you can just do that on the Patriots flagship radio station and there’ absolutely no repercussions.

And then Tony Mazz had to add that Brady is “butthurt” about why is Garoppolo still here?    The most focused athlete ever went up the back stairs over the greatest coach ever in order to make him risk his relationship over the backup QB.    That’s your story?

Ironhead
    Participant

Bedard’s 2 hours with Mike and the Lap Dog follow the same formula:  He starts off in a serious, even-keeled, level tone.  In the first half hour, he’ll yell ONE or TWO words to emphasize his points.  Felger antagonizes him, and Bedard makes subtle changes to what he’s saying to appease his Takez Master.  Then, Mazz will start yelling something absurdly dumb, and by the time the second hour starts, BEDARD IS MAKING HIS POINTS LIKE THIS AND THE REAL TAKEZ START TO GET FLUNG.

Towards the end of his stint, he dials it back and tries to portray himself as unbiased, reasoned, and hyperlocal.   He’s intellectually dishonest with no compass.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

It was so transparent and obviously made up bullshit speculation.

Which is, of course, terrible.

But the real problem with those slimy bastards isn’t the bullshit speculation in a vacuum, it’s spending the balance of the show acting as if their bullshit speculation is what actually happened.  

True scumbags.

Tommyfw
    Participant

Bedard’s 2 hours with Mike and the Lap Dog follow the same formula: He starts off in a serious, even-keeled, level tone. In the first half hour, he’ll yell ONE or TWO words to emphasize his points. Felger antagonizes him, and Bedard makes subtle changes to what he’s saying to appease his Takez Master. Then, Mazz will start yelling something absurdly dumb, and by the time the second hour starts, BEDARD IS MAKING HIS POINTS LIKE THIS AND THE REAL TAKEZ START TO GET FLUNG. Towards the end of his stint, he dials it back and tries to portray himself as unbiased, reasoned, and hyperlocal. He’s intellectually dishonest with no compass.

His rather large belly is his true north IH.

Feejis
    Participant

Here’s hoping Bedard ends up face down mittenless in a roadside snowbank chasing some of those critical $300 appearances today.

Claude45
    Participant

No joke, sports media attracts an amazing percentage of dumb people who really don’t understand how truly dumb they are. Zero self-awareness.

Hey Trenni, first off who cares if you’re not “impressed” with a storm. Keep some of your ignorance to yourself, really, it’ll be ok. Second, how about you don’t declare a storm a dud about 10 minutes into it. Just like all your last thing seen sports takez, how about you let something breath for a minute before you issue your all important declaration that you assume the world is waiting to hear. You’re an idiot.

Hey Bedard, when trying to sell something hyperlocal, how about you ratchet back the arrogant shitting on the local fans? I’m no business or football genius like you but my recommendation is it’s unusual to constantly insult, put down and belittle potential customers. Especially when the pool of consumers is limited. You’re not a special intellect, you’re an arrogant idiot.

Hey Simple Ben, winning more is better. Losing to a superior team is better than losing to a lesser team. Getting to more Superbowls is better than getting to less to Superbowls. I’m not an overly sensitive Pats fan, the teams accomplishments are not mine. I just sit in the 300s with a good buzz and enjoy the excellence. I am however sensitive to morons who spew illogical garbage. There is NO argument that 4-0 is better in Superbowls than 5-4. NONE. It’s impossible. Even away from all the legacy stuff at a basic level, I as a fan, got to enjoy 1 more win and 5 total Superbowls. You’re a sad, pathetic, trolling idiot.

Hey Shank, fuck off. Sorry that you consider your intellect above your station in life but you should be doing cartwheels on your stupid 1 mile a day run with happiness over what you managed to squeeze out of being a miserable prick. For some reason, you hate sports and fans even through they gave you a multitude of riches. Take your tired act and shut the fuck up. You won’t believe it but you’re an idiot too, granted a step above the rest of the idiots but an idiot none the less.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Well said! But don’t stop there, Claude.

Meanwhile, and I know the information is coming from hysterical news outlets, but apparently Causeway Street is at least partially flooded in the Lovejoy Wharf area, so that’s just east of the Garden and North Station. No idea how that might impact the O’Neill Tunnel. Good thing this is supposed to be a one-high-tide event.

Claude45
    Participant

Well said! But don’t stop there, Claude. Meanwhile, and I know the information is coming from hysterical news outlets, but apparently Causeway Street is at least partially flooded in the Lovejoy Wharf area, so that’s just east of the Garden and North Station. No idea how that might impact the O’Neill Tunnel. Good thing this is supposed to be a one-high-tide event.

I had to go shovel the snow from the overrated flurries.

Lebron
    Participant

NFL television ratings fell 9.7 percent during the 2017 regular season, according to numbers registered by Nielsen.

This on top of an 8 percent drop in 2016.  When you get a chance to lock up a commissioner pulling these kinds of numbers at $40 mil a year, you do it every time.

Coma
    Participant

“So, not much shoveling going on today, huh, BSMW-ers?”

Claude45
    Participant

NFL television ratings fell 9.7 percent during the 2017 regular season, according to numbers registered by Nielsen.

This on top of an 8 percent drop in 2016. When you get a chance to lock up a commissioner pulling these kinds of numbers at $40 mil a year, you do it every time.

The Andrew Brandt’s of the world keep pointing to TV revenue and the sale price of teams and say “nothing to see here”. That Goodell is doing a great job. The warning signs hit before the revenue/value drops. I’m convinced the league is in long term trouble and the ratings are showing an erosion of their strength.  The concussions. The league office telling us the players are abusive thugs and mishandling the few cases it has to handle. The league systematically undermining the legitimacy of 20 years of game outcomes of the league’s premiere franchise. Petty owners putting small grudges ahead of the greater league good. The over officiating ruining the flow of a game and allowing a subset of people tilt the rules to their favor. The end is coming for the league and then the Andrew Brandt’s of the world will tell us they saw it coming all the time.

But I’m sure Goodell has a handle on it.

Coma
    Participant

This on top of an 8 percent drop in 2016. When you get a chance to lock up a commissioner pulling these kinds of numbers at $40 mil a year, you do it every time.

I can’t remember which sports media member said this, so I’m going to assume it was all of them*, but when NFL revenues went up a couple of years ago, some mediot was defending Goodell by saying he was responsible for the financial gains. Not the players, not the coaches, not the match ups, not fantasy sports, but Roger Goodell was THE reason why the sport was bringing in more money. I’m going to guess that this dimbulb now has a long list of excuses why ratings are down and Goodell’s name doesn’t appear anywhere on it.

*After reading Claude’s post, Andrew Brandt sounds like as good a candidate as any.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by  Coma.

Big Fat O
    Participant

You know it’s some serious shit outside when skunk head Ed trades the tie in for the sweater.

Batten down the hatches!

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Now these ratings gurus/NFL apologists are saying “yeah, but overall TV ratings are down 9% too, so it’s all good, move along, nothing to see here.”

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

The scariest part of TBH’s “Why can’t the Patriots tell the truth about the Garoppolo trade?” isn’t the sheer idiocy of the article (which is off the charts) but that the great unwashed masses will lap it up and believe every word.

Lebron
    Participant

Haven’t read that Volin garbage but hasn’t all of the information been made public?  They approached Jimmy about a new contract but he wants to play and with Brady still going he doesn’t see a path forward.  San Francisco calls and asks about Brady initially, to which Bill responds ‘you’re asking me to trade you the greatest player of all time?’ then when Lynch asks about Garoppolo they settle on a 2nd round pick.  Bill tells Lynch you’re not just getting a good player you’re getting a good person who will do whatever you ask him to do and is coachable.  What are we missing?

Haven’t read that Volin garbage but hasn’t all of the information been made public? They approached Jimmy about a new contract but he wants to play and with Brady still going he doesn’t see a path forward. San Francisco calls and asks about Brady initially, to which Bill responds ‘you’re asking me to trade you the greatest player of all time?’ then when Lynch asks about Garoppolo they settle on a 2nd round pick. Bill tells Lynch you’re not just getting a good player you’re getting a good person who will do whatever you ask him to do and is coachable. What are we missing?

TEC says a bridge contract was never broached with Garoppolo.

Feejis
    Participant

Haven’t read that Volin garbage but hasn’t all of the information been made public? They approached Jimmy about a new contract but he wants to play and with Brady still going he doesn’t see a path forward. San Francisco calls and asks about Brady initially, to which Bill responds ‘you’re asking me to trade you the greatest player of all time?’ then when Lynch asks about Garoppolo they settle on a 2nd round pick. Bill tells Lynch you’re not just getting a good player you’re getting a good person who will do whatever you ask him to do and is coachable. What are we missing?

TEC says a bridge contract was never broached with Garoppolo.

Never? I find that hard to believe. This season? I’d believe that.

Lebron
    Participant

Maybe not.  Maybe they didn’t make an offer and either acted on the thought that he wasn’t signing up to be a backup again or Yee or whoever his agent is made it clear that he wouldn’t sign to be a backup.  I inferred it from this:

It is just not sustainable the way things are set up. Not something we wanted to walk away from. I felt we rode it out as long as we could, over a period of time, explored every option possible to sustain it.

Explored every possible option, I’d assume that meant a contract offer.  Not sure what a ‘bridge’ offer would be, of course Breer reported they offered him starter money and we know that he has zero sources.  I can’t imagine they’d make an offer to pay him like a backup though when any team in free agency would be signing him to start and any franchise slappin’ would be average of top 5 money.

Feejis
    Participant

Doesn’t have to have been an offer. Could have just said “what can we do to get him to stay?” and gotten a negative response. No contract, but it was broached.

EDIT – I don’t know exactly what TEC said just commenting on how BBTL framed it. I find it hard to believe they never even discussed the topic of him being here beyond this year.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by  Feejis.

Lebron
    Participant

Not wanting to parse Bill’s words but if he said ‘every option possible’ I’d think that would include a contract offer of some sort at some point.  If he said we explored a number of options then I wouldn’t assume a contract offer.

NASCL
    Participant

Bill Barnwell is a weird, odd guy but one of the few I enjoy reading.

Big Fat O
    Participant

I still think BB and Jimmy had an agreement to see how things went with Brady and if it looked like Brady wasn’t slowing down he’d trade him.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

ITT needs an intervention.  :lol:

Doncabesa
    Participant

Fuck espn, fuck the boston globe  :wag:

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Fuck espn, fuck the boston globe :wag:

They really are scummy.

Look, if you want to sell me that the Guerrero stuff ruffled some feathers weeks and weeks ago (but has now basically been resolved), that I could buy. ITT claimed to have sources that said Tom was pissed about it, which is plausible I guess.

All this Garoppolo shit is nonsense. John Lynch called and asked about trading for Brady, and BB basically laughed in his face. Think he was only doing that because Kraft made him? Give me a fucking break. The only people who had been talking about Kraft telling Bill he couldn’t trade Tom were the shit-stirrers on the radio, pulling stuff out of their ass. The idea that Tom went up the backstairs like Bledsoe is offensive to me. I don’t believe that for one millisecond.

If someone with chops like Curran or Jeff Howe actually reported this, I’d put more credibility to it. But it’s Wickersham, who when he’s not writing is making Belichick voodoo dolls and giving mutual handjobs to Rick Telander. Pass.

InThisTown
    Participant

Curran was on this weeks ago. More Alex than Jimmy G to my knowledge.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

More Alex than Jimmy G to my knowledge.

OK. Which means what?

It’s enough to make one of them quit? I’ll believe that when I actually see it.

Feejis
    Participant

Here’s my question: why would anyone think Belichick would let Kraft dictate a move like that?

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Here’s my question: why would anyone think Belichick would let Kraft dictate a move like that?

Kraft has always been consistent that he doesn’t interfere with football decisions. You can call him a liar if you want, or that Brady’s an exception or something. But I don’t believe it, because the only people saying it are shitbags like Felger and Mazz and other empty tin cans who never claim they even have sources, anonymous or otherwise. Nobody reliable. They repeat it enough times, every day, and it has the false veneer of actual news.

Feejis
    Participant

I should clarify. I can see Kraft saying Tom stays but I don’t understand why anyone thinks he would force a seemingly hasty trade of Jimmy in mid season.

That said I can totally see Kraft taking sides with the witch doctor and Tom if that’s what it comes down to. He’s nothing if not consistent in his fuckuppery.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by  Feejis.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I should clarify. I can see Kraft saying Tom stays but I don’t understand why anyone thinks he would force a seemingly hasty trade of Jimmy in mid season. That said I can totally see Kraft taking sides with the witch doctor and Tom if that’s what it comes down to. He’s nothing if not consistent in his fuckuppery.

He’s been pretty good in staying out of Bill’s way, though. I know Bledsoe and Milloy were a long time ago, but Bill’s cut loose a lot of veteran, “Patriot Way” guys over the intervening years without Kraft telling him he can’t. If someone wants to argue that Tom’s the only exception? It’s possible I suppose, but my opinion is that BB didn’t want to trade either guy. Kraft didn’t make him keep Brady. Brady simply outplayed JG and showed no signs of slowing down. I don’t see why anyone (except the haters) should think Bill’s written, publicly-stated reasons for trading JG isn’t the real reason.

Humphrey
    Participant

I can’t believe ESPN sent Jeff Goodman to Lituania to cover the Balls.   What a disgrace paying any attention to those assholes.

Lebron
    Participant

I find it totally believable.  The Lakers have a nationally televised game at least once a week, crazy considering how shitty they are.  Like having the Browns play Sunday night 5 times  next year.  Stephen A has a staged Ball argument once a week, they lead with the Lakers and Ball practically every sportscenter.  Goodman can spray spit all over the Baltic filing the reports

Yahtzee
    Participant

I love a blizzard visit to the local pub. High spirits and cold beer!

Feejis
    Participant

I’m just burnt out. Regret even my couple posts tonight.

Look at the Globe website and recent article title. All negative. Opponents stink. Patriots stink but it won’t matter. Guerrero. They’re lying about Garoppolo trade. And on and on.

Now the ESPN annual hit piece.

These folks try to extract their 15 mins of fame from this franchise at every turn. Start of postseason is a perfect time for them.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I’m just burnt out. Regret even my couple posts tonight. Look at the Globe website and recent article title. All negative. Opponents stink. Patriots stink but it won’t matter. Guerrero. They’re lying about Garoppolo trade. And on and on. Now the ESPN annual hit piece. These folks try to extract their 15 mins of fame from this franchise at every turn. Start of postseason is a perfect time for them.

I know the argument that it’s always been like this, but the volume of it now is so much worse it makes me hate everyone.

I just want to enjoy watching sports, and I’m angry that I need to go into media blackout consistently just to do that.

Feejis
    Participant

I hear that but I’m kinda there with the blackout anyhow. Don’t watch any on tv. Barely listen to the radio anymore. Limit my online consumption to stats based articles basically at this point.

If it wasn’t for this site or Twitter (which I’ve dumped) I wouldn’t even know these stories are happening except if they come up among friends.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I hear that but I’m kinda there with the blackout anyhow. Don’t watch any on tv. Barely listen to the radio anymore. Limit my online consumption to stats based articles basically at this point. If it wasn’t for this site or Twitter (which I’ve dumped) I wouldn’t even know these stories are happening except if they come up among friends.

I hear you.

I guess it still pisses me off because I remember how good most of the coverage was in that ’85 season. Patriots coverage even then had some doom-and-gloomers because the team had so little postseason success and was often a talented tease. But the coverage was generally excited that the team was winning. Nobody complained about “honks and bobos”, which didn’t fucking exist. There were just reporters and radio people and news anchors who were generally happy the team was actually winning postseason games.

If having a transcendent dynasty creates this kind of hideous coverage, then leave the team to us, and all those screaming, cynical, vindictive shitheads can fall into a pit. They disgust me.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

What’s with Mid-day Midre?  :ozzy:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar