Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 1/8/18 Daily Thread: Remember the Titans?

This topic contains 55 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  TwoTimes 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Hey! Another week of bad sports “insiders” writing about what another “insider” wrote!
    Good way to hide the fact that so few of them know jack about actual games, plays, or players.

On another note: Joe Sulllivan, can you please just print the Boras Clients News on another day besides Sunday? GM Nick is getting difficult to follow. Although his upcoming campaign to get Bobby Valentine into the Hall of Fame should yield some interesting revisionist takes.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I’m amazed that the Titans had no clue how to execute a competent 2-point play, botched it twice and still managed an 18 point come back. Andy Reid coaching is brutal late in playoff games, just brutal. Also of interest, how the hell is Blake Bortels and NFL QB?

Participant

Should andy have punted from 50 down 1 with all of his timeouts available and the 2 min warning?

Humphrey
    Participant

I’m happy to say my daughter’s hoop team beat Jackie The Cock’s alma mater (which has probably happened less than 10 times in 50 years, 2 games a year).

Dark Days Ahead for Westwood Girls Basketball? :lol:

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Divisional Game BSM Storylines: Tomato Can Cakewalk Two Consecutive Bye Weeks Walk in the Park/maybe they’re the next 2010 Jets?

Championship Game Storyline: THEY Aren’t Afraid to Come Here And Play YOU

Super Bowl Storyline: 2 Lucky Plays and 3 Missed Field Goals and YOU’RE 0-8, Honks & Pom-Pom Wavers

:dry:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Humphrey
    Participant

Should andy have punted from 50 down 1 with all of his timeouts available and the 2 min warning?

Why’d they call a play where there were seemingly no one running short routes and so few yards needed for a first down?
    As far as going for it, perhaps the sequence after that showed why….they were playing for the run and couldn’t stop it…in fact their only hope was on the second long gainer that they let the guy run it into the end zone untouched.   That would have put them down 8 but in possession.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

The newspaper that’s owned by the baseball team that has employed seven general managers and seven field managers since the day Bill Belichick was appointed head coach of the Patriots is giddy over its daily predictions of the imminent collapse of the House that Bob and Bill Built in Foxborough.

I’m hoping that Caserio stays (and trusting that Bill will, also). To think that Belichick hasn’t been grooming successors from his staff over the past 3-4 years is a stretch. Of course, their dire prediction (and fondest hope) may end up happening, but let’s not pretend that the departures of McDaniels and Patricia (and, perhaps, Dante’s retirement) have not been anticipated.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I thought that Bill was taking Dante and Caserio with him to the Giants?

Kevin
    Participant

Can’t believe Sean Payton looked through his granny glasses and called that play on fourth and two.

He’s lucky the DB dropped it a second too late, and that Cam Newton either had his brain scrambled and/or stinks.

Hacksaw
    Participant

I was at a house with Saints fans and near the end I said ” Act like you been there before, Newton’s not clutch you got this.”

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Can’t believe Sean Payton looked through his granny glasses and called that play on fourth and two. He’s lucky the DB dropped it a second too late, and that Cam Newton either had his brain scrambled and/or stinks.

:lol: I need new glasses but I’m certainly not walking in and asking for “The Sean Peyton” collection.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

It doesn’t seem that the Wickersham article has gotten too much traction, does it? A lot of “I’ll believe it when I see it.”

I guess cheating is an easier sell than dissension.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Mike Lombardi in his podcast was wondering if Andy Reid had taken back playcalling in the second half as it looked like he was calling in plays.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Rough weekend for HMSG:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Hacksaw
    Participant

It doesn’t seem that the Wickersham article has gotten too much traction, does it? A lot of “I’ll believe it when I see it.” I guess cheating is an easier sell than dissension.

He should have done like the Red Sox Beat Reporters did with the Red Sox this year.

‘This team won’t get better until these problems get fixed.” (but we can’t tell you what these problems are)

Big Fat O
    Participant

The newspaper that’s owned by the baseball team that has employed seven general managers and seven field managers since the day Bill Belichick was appointed head coach of the Patriots is giddy over its daily predictions of the imminent collapse of the House that Bob and Bill Built in Foxborough. I’m hoping that Caserio stays (and trusting that Bill will, also). To think that Belichick hasn’t been grooming successors from his staff over the past 3-4 years is a stretch. Of course, their dire prediction (and fondest hope) may end up happening, but let’s not pretend that the departures of McDaniels and Patricia (and, perhaps, Dante’s retirement) have not been anticipated.

Haven’t any of these guys realized that when the team(s) suck no one cares? Why would a football fan by the paper or listen to the radio if the Pats stink.

Humphrey
    Participant

Rough weekend for HMSG:    2-2 on straight won/loss and 0-4 vs the spread! :lol:

Participant

It’ll be fascinating I’m sure…..

9. I think I’m going to miss talking to Bruce Arians, about football and other topics. I’ll have more from a recent conversation with Arians soon at The MMQB.

Unlike you simpletons with your podcasts and your Sirius XM – I LISTEN TO NPR and am incredibly enlightened….

Many of you who read this column might not know Robert Siegel. He retired Friday after hosting the last of a 30-year run of “All Things Considered” afternoon news programs on National Public Radio. He is a gem, one of the calmest, straight-down-the-middle newsmen of our lives. I’ll really miss him delivering the news, soberly, at 4 p.m. every weekday, the soundtrack of my late afternoons for decades.

And I watch PBS programs well after the fact – just so you know….

Finished part 10 (the end) of “The Vietnam War,” the superb documentary series by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick, and I can’t praise it enough. The stuff in the last part about the building of the memorial wall in Washington was touching and emotional.

And those who can’t find it, end up in the sports media inventing their own version of  the truth….

But this movie will explain why so many kids grow up wanting to be reporters, and seekers of the truth.

We’re not going to sit here and let you bash the United States of America….

I will forever stand behind this business, and every loyal American should too.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Playoff Opener Against Tomato Can

By Hall of Fame Best Selling Globe Exclusive Talent Dan Shawnessie

The Patriots should win in a cakewalk, says the Common Wisdom. But that doesn’t take into account the fact that the Sons of Victor Kiam stumbled into the post-season on the backs of Teams that Couldn’t Shoot Straight.

They’re not talking much at the Fortress of Foxboro, but you know the Patriots know that they’re in the driver’s seat solely because of the lack of competitiveness in their competition. It’s the Tomato Can Division, stuffed with red, runny teams that couldn’t win a game against Rutgers, let alone Alabama. They stink, plain and simple, but that odor is music to the Patriots’ ears.

In a locker room where the post-game spread is avocado toast, the only reason the Patriots aren’t toast themselves is that they get to play the not-ready-for-takeoff Jets, the hapless Dolphins, and the one-and-done Bills. Twice each. Do the math and that’s six guaranteed wins before a single snap. The remainder of the 2017 season was packed with punching bags: Panthers, Falcons, Raiders, Colts, and Steelers. Not exactly the Vikings’ schedule.

And now this sham Fanboy Festival is over and it’s time to face the Iron of the NFL. Another Super Bowl trophy twinkles on the horizon, but there will be no Disney World if the Patriots – and their owner – continue to believe their own press releases. As their coach’s muse would say, they’re Living on a Prayer.

Deep down, the Patriots realize that they’re in over their heads and their Title Troika of Kraft, Belichick, and Brady are readying the Football Firing Squad and dialing it up to Code Red. It’s a poorly kept secret that each believes they are the hero of the Patriots’ soon-to-be-over run of success. ESPN’s crack reporter Tom Wickersham broke the bubble of the Men in the Mirror late last week and his details were quickly confirmed by former Globe scribe Albert Breer. The old gang is breaking up over backup QB/future HoF Jimmy Garrapollo. Who wanted Jimmy G – he of the perfect teeth, winsome smile, and rocket arm – out of town? Certainly not Mike Giaradi. But was it Coach Hoodie who, like his predecessor, was tired of not shopping for the groceries (at Whole Foods)? Was it Brady, who despises competition for his job because of what he did to Drew Bledsoe and fears could happen to him now? Or was it Kraft, who styles himself as a benevolent, hands-off owner while ignoring the sports media that connects him to his soon-to-be-dwindling fan base. (NFL rating are down for a second consecutive year. Coincidence?)

It will take time and work to ferret out the truth, but the truth, like Ellen, will come out. In the meantime, the Patriots practice two-point conversions when they really should be practicing mea culpas.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

“The Red Sox need a Big Bat. Here are the Scott Boras clients available for long-term contracts at ridiculous money.”

Guess who.

Lebron
    Participant

Between family and friends I have enough of a sample size to say I’ve never known one of their kids that wanted to be a reporter or studied/majored in journo bullshit.

Rickkyboy
    Participant

I’m happy to say my daughter’s hoop team beat Jackie The Cock’s alma mater (which has probably happened less than 10 times in 50 years, 2 games a year). Dark Days Ahead for Westwood Girls Basketball? 😆

6-2 on their way to the playoffs (saw the score in the local paper :smile: )

Participant

“Fairbanks left after an Oilers playoff game, and who are the Oilers now caller?  That’s right the Titans so don’t tell me he’s not already on his way to East Rutherford, amiright Tony?”

Yahtzee
    Participant

Did Brady skip the D&C interview again?

TwoTimes
    Participant

Ted Valentine didn’t get run out of college basketball on a rail yet?

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Playoff Opener Against Tomato Can By Hall of Fame Best Selling Globe Exclusive Talent Dan Shawnessie The Patriots should win in a cakewalk, says the Common Wisdom. But that doesn’t take into account the fact that the Sons of Victor Kiam stumbled into the post-season on the backs of Teams that Couldn’t Shoot Straight. They’re not talking much at the Fortress of Foxboro, but you know the Patriots know that they’re in the driver’s seat solely because of the lack of competitiveness in their competition. It’s the Tomato Can Division, stuffed with red, runny teams that couldn’t win a game against Rutgers, let alone Alabama. They stink, plain and simple, but that odor is music to the Patriots’ ears. In a locker room where the post-game spread is avocado toast, the only reason the Patriots aren’t toast themselves is that they get to play the not-ready-for-takeoff Jets, the hapless Dolphins, and the one-and-done Bills. Twice each. Do the math and that’s six guaranteed wins before a single snap. The remainder of the 2017 season was packed with punching bags: Panthers, Falcons, Raiders, Colts, and Steelers. Not exactly the Vikings’ schedule. And now this sham Fanboy Festival is over and it’s time to face the Iron of the NFL. Another Super Bowl trophy twinkles on the horizon, but there will be no Disney World if the Patriots – and their owner – continue to believe their own press releases. As their coach’s muse would say, they’re Living on a Prayer. Deep down, the Patriots realize that they’re in over their heads and their Title Troika of Kraft, Belichick, and Brady are readying the Football Firing Squad and dialing it up to Code Red. It’s a poorly kept secret that each believes they are the hero of the Patriots’ soon-to-be-over run of success. ESPN’s crack reporter Tom Wickersham broke the bubble of the Men in the Mirror late last week and his details were quickly confirmed by former Globe scribe Albert Breer. The old gang is breaking up over backup QB/future HoF Jimmy Garrapollo. Who wanted Jimmy G – he of the perfect teeth, winsome smile, and rocket arm – out of town? Certainly not Mike Giaradi. But was it Coach Hoodie who, like his predecessor, was tired of not shopping for the groceries (at Whole Foods)? Was it Brady, who despises competition for his job because of what he did to Drew Bledsoe and fears could happen to him now? Or was it Kraft, who styles himself as a benevolent, hands-off owner while ignoring the sports media that connects him to his soon-to-be-dwindling fan base. (NFL rating are down for a second consecutive year. Coincidence?) It will take time and work to ferret out the truth, but the truth, like Ellen, will come out. In the meantime, the Patriots practice two-point conversions when they really should be practicing mea culpas.

I feel like I saved 99 cents reading this here. Thanks, and cheers.

Humphrey
    Participant

Triplette supposedly retiring.

Lefty

Triplette should retire and he shouldn’t be the only one.   The league really should have full time referees.  Leave the other officials as part time if you want, but the refs should be full time.   They should spend the off season working on rules/calls with operations staff so they are on the same page during the season.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Childress also retiring. No more head games with BB.

jforb
    Participant

They should be shitcanning Triplette instead of letting him retire.

TwoTimes
    Participant

How he didn’t announce he reviewed the Mariota pass/catch thing to see if he was beyond the LOS when he threw it was beyond me.  Of course the quarterback is an eligible receiver.  I couldn’t believe he said that it was fine because he was in shotgun.

For the record I think Mariota released the ball from behind the LOS but still wasn’t THAT what they should’ve been looking for on that one?

Between that, the non-fumble on the sack, Fake Gronk fumbling when he got knocked out, and the spot that was about 3 yards short causing them to use a challenge, he was a goddamn mess.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I don’t know if there’s room in my heart right now to be worrying about Arians and Jeter at the same time.

Humphrey
    Participant

Anybody that referees more or less any high school ballgame around here of any kind will think of him any time they get an assignment.

Serent Capital Invests in ArbiterSports

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Speaking of dopey things this weekend. What was up with Romo saying that the offense would get a ‘free-bee’ instead of having to run 10 seconds off the clock. Shouldn’t he know better?

Yahtzee
    Participant

Speaking of dopey things this weekend. What was up with Romo saying that the offense would get a ‘free-bee’ instead of having to run 10 seconds off the clock. Shouldn’t he know better?

That was weird.

Rickkyboy
    Participant

Anybody that referees more or less any high school ballgame around here of any kind will think of him any time they get an assignment.

I was talking to a baseball umpire and his spring Arbiter fees went up from $8-10 to $15. Gotta fund that retirement….. :dry:

Kevin
    Participant

Pretty sure Gerry Callahan thinks the Bills can’t play J.Peterman over Tyrod Taylor because Taylor is black.

He mentioned it twice this morning wthout providing further details.

Lefty

Pretty sure Gerry Callahan thinks the Bills can’t play J.Peterman over Tyrod Taylor because Taylor is black. He mentioned it twice this morning wthout providing further details.

What if Peterman buys Tyrod’s stories?   Can he play then?

“And that’s when I left Baltimore and signed with the Buffalo Bills as an African American starting quarterback.”

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by  Lefty.
    • This reply was modified 11 months ago by  Lefty.

Claude45
    Participant

With the Wickersham article, there are a bunch of  issues but I hear him saying in interviews repeatedly that Goodell and Belichick are “good friends” and have a “close relationship”. This keeps sticking in my craw. You want tell me Belichick his now ok with Goodell. If he understands he’s a stooge for the owners, fine. But good, close friends? I just can’t see it. Why would he be?

TJM
    Participant

Let’s not sleep on Buckley he is a fucking cunt of the highest order

TJM
    Participant

Oh something is wrong even if you don’t think it’s wrong fucking power bottom

Lebron
    Participant

All these people crowing about Wickersham being a ‘top notch/top rate/world class’ what the fuck ever journalist is laughable, as if you can’t criticize or tear apart his non sourced bullshit that gets torn down further by the day.  I stand by my story is the dumbest thing a media person can utter.  Kirk Herbstreit still stands by his report that Les Miles is taking the Michigan job from like 10 years ago.  How can you stand by your story when it’s getting torn apart by the people you were supposedly writing about.  I stand by my story told to me by people who have no idea what they’re talking about.  How is that a job?

Participant

He helped kill the National and the Herald – bravo, Steve.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

All these people crowing about Wickersham being a ‘top notch/top rate/world class’ what the fuck ever journalist is laughable, as if you can’t criticize or tear apart his non sourced bullshit that gets torn down further by the day. I stand by my story is the dumbest thing a media person can utter. Kirk Herbstreit still stands by his report that Les Miles is taking the Michigan job from like 10 years ago. How can you stand by your story when it’s getting torn apart by the people you were supposedly writing about. I stand by my story told to me by people who have no idea what they’re talking about. How is that a job?

“I stand by my story” is just “I reported what I was told, honest!” Big fucking deal. Can’t everyone say that? Really think about what that means: It essentially means that you’re calling everyone who is calling bullshit on your story a liar. Indirectly, but that’s what you’re doing.

Tomase pulled that bullshit, too. They all do it, and they all undeservedly support each other’s nonsense.  It’s just a knee-jerk response that means nothing until the retraction is printed, then they hope you forget all about it until the next thing. Worthless cretins.

Coma
    Participant

With the Wickersham article, there are a bunch of issues but I hear him saying in interviews repeatedly that Goodell and Belichick are “good friends” and have a “close relationship”. This keeps sticking in my craw. You want tell me Belichick his now ok with Goodell. If he understands he’s a stooge for the owners, fine. But good, close friends? I just can’t see it. Why would he be?

Is any head coach friends with Goodell? Did any have a close relationship with Tagliabue? It just seems unlikely that with the time they put into their job, including interacting with players, the GM/other front office personnel, the owner and their own family, there would still be time to be chummy with a guy who works in a different city than all but 2 coaches. That claim sounds like more of the bizarro logic that started around with the sideline videotaping farce; That Goodell is really helping the Patriots by going nuclear on them for violations that he ignores or hands out small fines for when other teams are involved. It doesn’t make any sense at all, but the media people keep pushing it.

If I ever see a picture of Goodell on Belichick’s boat during offseason, it will feel like an upset loss in the playoffs (Unless the picture accompanies an article titled “NFL Commissioner Lost At Sea, Feared Dead.”)

Feejis
    Participant

I’d bet money that Bill has probably 2-3 “good friends” in this entire world and Roger ain’t one of them.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

“He went in the water, he hasn’t come up. The Coast Guard will take a look.”

Yahtzee
    Participant

All these people crowing about Wickersham being a ‘top notch/top rate/world class’ what the fuck ever journalist is laughable, as if you can’t criticize or tear apart his non sourced bullshit that gets torn down further by the day. I stand by my story is the dumbest thing a media person can utter. Kirk Herbstreit still stands by his report that Les Miles is taking the Michigan job from like 10 years ago. How can you stand by your story when it’s getting torn apart by the people you were supposedly writing about. I stand by my story told to me by people who have no idea what they’re talking about. How is that a job?

“I stand by my story” is just “I reported what I was told, honest!” Big fucking deal. Can’t everyone say that? Really think about what that means: It essentially means that you’re calling everyone who is calling bullshit on your story a liar. Indirectly, but that’s what you’re doing.

Tomase pulled that bullshit, too. They all do it, and they all undeservedly support each other’s nonsense. It’s just a knee-jerk response that means nothing until the retraction is printed, then they hope you forget all about it until the next thing. Worthless cretins.

I literally just heard HMSG say he “stands by everything” in his 0-4 gambling manifesto. Also, “I would do everything again.”

Yahtzee
    Participant

Unreal interception there.

Hacksaw
    Participant

He helped kill the National and the Herald – bravo, Steve.

The Death Cat of Print.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar