Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 10/12 – 10/14 Weekend Thread

This topic contains 96 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Blinded By The Lombardis 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 97 total)
  • Author

Humphrey
    Participant

One question I never got to ask (because I was in “forgot password” purgatory).

When Sanchez hit that fly ball, should the second runner have tagged and gone to third? Or was it too risky?

Futility Lou mentioned it on the post game; haven’t seen any video that would support him. So maybe he was just making a comment to make a comment.

If the guy (Hernandez) should have gone, it would have put a lot more pressure on the Sox given that Kimbrel was throwing frisbees up to the plate; also the ground ball to Nunez could have tied the game.

From last night: The Jints are awful. Eli is toast. Loved seeing #13 go to the locker room right before the half and Eli decide not to take a knee.

Also, you can see why letting Solder walk will not be on any “BB is a shitty GM” list.

• This topic was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Humphrey.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Hard to go from 2nd to 3rd on a fly ball to left.  Not that long of a throw.   But what do I know?

jforb
    Participant

Also, you can see why letting Solder walk will not be on any “BB is a shitty GM” list.

What are you talking about, good GMs don’t let well-liked players go to shitty teams like the Giants.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

What are you talking about, good GMs don’t let well-liked players go to shitty teams like the Giants.

I calculated out that the 2018 contracts of the players from the 2014 Patriots roster still in the league make more than 117% of the 2018 Salary Cap this season.

https://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/threads/salary-cap-fun-fact.1145696/

RedSeat
    Participant

When Sanchez hit that fly ball, should the second runner have tagged and gone to third? Or was it too risky?

Futility Lou mentioned it on the post game; haven’t seen any video that would support him. So maybe he was just making a comment to make a comment.

If the guy (Hernandez) should have gone, it would have put a lot more pressure on the Sox given that Kimbrel was throwing frisbees up to the plate; also the ground ball to Nunez could have tied the game.

As mentioned, LF to 3B is not a long throw. you have to be 100% sure you’ll make it before attempting. Don’t make the first or third out at third base is one of those old-timey axioms that seems to hold up. Definitely value in being on third instead of second, for passed balls or infield hits, but you can’t risk ending the inning when you;re already in scoring position.

Reminds me of an infuriating game I went to. Red Sox down one in the bottom of the ninth, one out. Trot Nixon on 3rd, Carl Everett on 2nd. Fly ball to left. Both runners tag up. Everett tagged out at third before Nixon crossed the plate. Run doesn’t count, game over. Everett was rightfully criticized for the play, but Nixon skated on the fact that he wasn’t running hard, and should have crossed the plate before the tag.

chicowalker
    Participant

Having been burned betting on (and against) the Giants too many times to mention last night, I didn’t pull the trigger and laid off the game.  That in itself is sort of progress, as I am no longer just betting to bet and having a good year because of it..but the relative pittance left on the table last night was more and more infuriating with each successive Eli face

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

That’s a real shame that the Jints went all-in on a 15-year, beaten-up veteran QB with obviously declining skills and their team is in shambles as a result. If they’d called that “in the grasp” sack* 11 years ago, not only would the Pats have gone 19-0 but Eli would be long gone from the NFL.

*EDIT: Or if Asante Effing Samuel had better hands.  :ozzy:

Participant

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Is there a second collection this week so the Patriots can make payroll? I don’t want a Trent Brown to go hungry.

BrianInLA
    Participant

But Eli is still a Hall Of Famer according to the talking heads. :dry:

Participant

But Eli is still a Hall Of Famer according to the talking heads. :dry:

And Cooper was a great athlete as well*.

*Contractually obligated by all the networks to say that.

Lebron
    Participant

And now supposedly Beckham is saying it’s either Eli or me.  Why the fuck would you re-sign there then?  You knew the plan especially after they drafted Barkley at 2.  Once again, I can’t believe Bill doesn’t back up the Brinks truck for receivers.

Humphrey
    Participant

There’s a decent chance that the Giants could suck for 3-4 years, then get their act together…..but right when Barkley starts to break down, given the usual career arc of an NFL running back. Let’s just say that his “window” is a lot smaller than your average star qb.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Humphrey.

jforb
    Participant

This thing called Boston Man magazine came in the mail at the office today. Website doesn’t appear to be up yet so I can’t link, but it opens with an article about Fenway that really needs the horns to play as you open it. Then a Kerry Byrne article arguing that the Pats success is all Brady and in spite of Belichick. :weei:   :puke:

Yahtzee
    Participant

There’s a decent chance that the Giants could suck for 3-4 years, then get their act together…..but right when Barkley starts to break down, given the usual career arc of an NFL running back. Let’s just say that his “window” is a lot smaller than your average star qb.

Isn’t that Belichick’s dream job  though?

Suzy
    Participant

From last night: The Jints are awful. Eli is toast. Loved seeing #13 go to the locker room right before the half and Eli decide not to take a knee.

SOSH had a pretty good conversation about this the other day if you’re interested. I thought it was worth reading, at any rate.

Participant

PeDiDi needs the Tommy John.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

And now supposedly Beckham is saying it’s either Eli or me.

The correct answer is “neither”. Cut Eli, trade Beckham. You’ll be better off.

I calculated out that the 2018 contracts of the players from the 2014 Patriots roster still in the league make more than 117% of the 2018 Salary Cap this season.

https://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/threads/salary-cap-fun-fact.1145696/

Great stuff, Mis, and some predictable responses from those still yearning for Chandler Jones or multiple firsts in return for Garoppolo. One of those troglodytes looked at the figures and actually still said, “See! They coulda done it!”

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Great stuff, Mis, and some predictable responses from those still yearning for Chandler Jones or multiple firsts in return for Garoppolo. One of those troglodytes looked at the figures and actually still said, “See! They coulda done it!”

“If we didn’t have Jimmy, we’d be under the cap!”

Yes, and we’d have only 37 players, 1/3 of whom are DUN!

Yahtzee
    Participant

Who is that?

Participant

Who is that?

didi gregorius

Yahtzee
    Participant

Who is that?

didi gregorius

Oh, that’s a shame.

Doncabesa
    Participant

Who is that?

didi gregorius

Oh, that’s a shame.

:lol:

chicowalker
    Participant

Manny Machado and his agent just called their doctors

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar