Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 10/14 – 10/20 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    Humphrey
    Participant

Waiting to read all the clips where Peter King proves beyond a reasonable doubt what an asshole he is. Have at it.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Back in the right folder. But no Pats’ game until the next weekly thread starts on 10/21. :ohmy:

Old Bastard Hockey Note: Ted Green, the Bruins’ best defenseman before Orr, died a few days ago in Edmonton, age 79.  Right-shot blue-liner and team enforcer who anchored the Bruins’ #2 pairing from 1967-69 (with Don Awrey to his left), and who was elected NHL “second-team all-star” defenseman in 1968-69, effectively one of the top four d-men in the league. (Orr won the Norris, of course, and was elected to the first team.). Then came the stick fight with Wayne Maki during the 1969-70 preseason and his brain injury. Unbelievable that Green was able to come back and play in the NHL and WHA after sitting out the 1969-70 Cup-winning year, although he was never the same.

EDIT: And, of course, I’m slow on the draw here.  Merge threads, please!! :wall:

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lefty

Merged, though I know I didn’t do it completely correctly…….

Was surprised the Bruins didn’t mention Green’s passing at their game the other night.   I suppose it was pretty close to game time, so maybe they will say something this afternoon.

If Green had played for the Red Sox, the Sox would be trying to get the steel plate from his head to sell as souvenirs.

Participant

Are the Texans still eligible for Team “X” status?

They’ve been on the cusp of the brink for so long, I’m not sure.

Lebron
    Participant

Ended up watching baseball over football last night.  Oddly I don’t see the same piles of dead bodies that resulted from Manny’s disgusting post season home run celebrations with Correa’s trot last night.  Has he made it around the bases yet?

Lebron
    Participant

Harry supposedly practicing this week.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Second bullet

The Cowboys and Rams are both 3-3, and I’ll tell you which one to worry about.

“I’ll tell you…”

BrianInLA
    Participant

The Pats now have an 83.8% of the #1 seed according to Football Outsiders. KC is 2nd at 5.2%.

San Fran has a 41.2% in the NFC.

Lebron
    Participant

You cannot watch football with any neutrality and say the Cooks play was interference and the Tate play was not. Twice the Tate play should have been called pass interference. It’s inarguable.

Inarguable!

I talk to coaches and I talk to general managers.

From Brooklyn, where I live.

Lebron
    Participant

Filed under Pete’s things I liked

g. The return of Tyreek Hill.

I liked a wife/kid beater entertaining me.  What did he have, 2 catches?

Participant

You cannot watch football with any neutrality and say the Cooks play was interference and the Tate play was not. Twice the Tate play should have been called pass interference. It’s inarguable.

Inarguable!

“Went nowhere in the past week, but I did discover one of the best bars in New York City. The Art Café + Bar in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn (my new neighborhood) “

Lebron
    Participant

Jake Elliott, stick to kicking.

Like Elliot called the fake field goal play that had him throwing it?  Love the journos who tell the athletes what they should be doing.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Filed under Pete’s things I liked

g. The return of Tyreek Hill.

I liked a wife/kid beater entertaining me. What did he have, 2 catches?

He did do a cool backflip that made every highlight package however. Oh, his team also lost but that wasn’t mentioned as often.

Participant

“Sunday’s six-game early window. Makes the Red Zone-watching less frenetic. You can focus on drives and games longer.”

Feel your pain Pete, it’s a madhouse from my couch trying to stare at a 4o plus inch screen and you know, look at what’s on the screen.

Lebron
    Participant

Holy shit what a fucking asshole

l. Two quibbles with Game 5 of Nats-Dodgers on TBS: The game opened, and there was Dodgers ace Walker Buehler throwing on the mound, and TBS put a graphic up with his stats: 4-1, 3.26 ERA, 215 K. I thought, 4-1? Not possible. Of course not. Buehler was 14-4. We all make mistakes—and I point the finger at me first and foremost; I’ve made my share. But you’ve had a day and a half to get the graphics done for the biggest game of the season for both teams, and you get the starting pitcher’s won-loss record wrong, and way wrong? Not good.

m. And when Nats catcher Kurt Suzuki got hit in the wrist and the ball caromed up to hit him in the face, Ernie Johnson said, “Oh no.” And then Johnson and color guy Jeff Francoeur went silent for 53 seconds. I get solemnity when a guy is lying on the ground, but 53 seconds? I thought I accidentally hit the mute button. What occasion in broadcasting is cause for 53 seconds of dead air?

n. Sorry to be nitpicky. Those two things just hit me wrong.

You had 2 days to get the graphic right!  And 53 seconds, like what he went back and ran a timer?  A guy got hit and no one knew if he was OK or not or the severity so just fill the airwaves with blather?  What a fucking douchebag

Lebron
    Participant

r. Coffeenerdness: Gran Caffe De Martini, my go-to coffee spot in Brooklyn, has a fun macchiato: chocolate Nutella coats the bottom of the cup, two shots of Italian espresso cover it, and a dollop of steamed milk sits on the top. That, people, is the right way to live.

I still remember when fatboy slim here stuck his nose in the air when a reader asked him his favorite Halloween candy.  I don’t eat sugar.  Guess that went out the window.  Fun!

Lebron
    Participant

Again, after telling the Philadelphia kicker to ‘stick to kicking’ he’s got other political shit but then there’s this

v. Truthfully, I don’t know how an elementary or middle-school teacher in the United States can do his/her job when it comes to combating bullying or name-calling if an offending child can simply say in retort: “Well, President Trump does it.”

w. I’d love to hear from teachers this week about that. Have you had issues when a student or parent will bring up the way our president talks to people and about people? If so, send me an email at peterkingfmia@gmail.com and tell me the story.

Now he wants to hear from teachers about talking about some weirdo how do you deal with how the President acts bullshit?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Watching the first few minutes of PEDS-Plugs game last night, it struck me how many franchises and individual careers (coaches and players) have been broken by Belichick and Brady since 2001, starting with the St. Louis Rams, Martz (may he forever be Miz’s avatar) and Faulk, and continuing to the crappy start by the 2019 LA Rams (McVay, Goff) and the 2019 Plugs.  No wonder the other owners, coaches and players would seemingly go to any lengths to try to get BB, Brady and Kraft out of the league or neutralize them. Even though NFL teams are now valued at absurdly high levels, I’m sure the Pats have cost multiple franchises billions in market value.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Buddy of mine texted me last night about this, citing the Chargers as another team they’ve broken. Hopefully the Chiefs are heading down that direction too, might actually root for the Broncos on Thursday.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Second bullet

The Cowboys and Rams are both 3-3, and I’ll tell you which one to worry about.

“I’ll tell you…”

No instant knee jerk call here. Years of professional bullshitting has set me up perfectly for this moment.

Coma
    Participant

Again, after telling the Philadelphia kicker to ‘stick to kicking’ he’s got other political shit but then there’s this

v. Truthfully, I don’t know how an elementary or middle-school teacher in the United States can do his/her job when it comes to combating bullying or name-calling if an offending child can simply say in retort: “Well, President Trump does it.”

w. I’d love to hear from teachers this week about that. Have you had issues when a student or parent will bring up the way our president talks to people and about people? If so, send me an email at peterkingfmia@gmail.com and tell me the story.

Now he wants to hear from teachers about talking about some weirdo how do you deal with how the President acts bullshit?

After a few moments of consideration, I came up with a response that parents and educators have been using some variation of for generations: “Well, when you become president, you can do what you want. Until then, you follow my rules.”

There’s 0% chance PK never heard, used or read about that kind of response to a child. Of course, he’d rather make his political point than realize his scenario is crap.

Coma
    Participant

Inarguable!

I forget if I posted this back when the NFL was giving examples of plays where PI could have been challenged, but no league damages it’s own credibility more than the NFL.

I’m a Patriots honk, but the contact on the Cooks-Gilmore play in the Super Bowl was marginal. Not only did that create the expectation that slightest contact by a defender could be ruled DPI on review, it also gave Rams fans an excuse for why they lost the SB. In addition, it furthered the narratives for mouth-breathers that the Patriots cheat, they get all the calls, the league is in the tank for the Patriots, the games are rigged and so on. It wasn’t Rams beat writer who decided to use that play, it was the league’s Competition Committee.

There were safer examples to use, like Dorsett’s TD catch in the AFCCG. The KC defensive back definitely interfered on that play, but Dorsett made the catch, so it didn’t matter. It could have been presented as, if the pass was incomplete, the Patriots could have challenged that a penalty should have been called. Or they could have used one of the plays where Eric Berry grabbed Gronk at the line of scrimmage and didn’t let go the entire time he ran his route. The nice thing about pointing out those missed calls was that the team “getting away” with the penalties still lost. To me, that’s a preferable direction instead of creating the idea that the outcome of your championship game was tainted.

Lefty

The teachers don’t have time for this.   They are too busy trying to stop the kids from stealing baseballs from little kids because Peter King (who lives in NYC) does it.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Speaking of Gronkowski getting mugged had a Chiefs fan in my office crying about how poor Travis Kelce gets manhandled.   Yeah, call me when he’s getting tackled and chipped low and still going for over 100 yards.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

How has Dan Quinn not gotten fired yet?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 163 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar