Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 10/14 – 10/20 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    BrianInLA
    Participant

Predictably the local media is now all-in on the Rams trade. Even the usually level headed (unless he’s chasing after Bieber) Keyshawn Johnson said that “Ramsey is better than anyone you will get in the draft…” The same drivel the Steelers fans used. Finally he brought up the fact that Tampa traded two first rounders for him and it got them to a championship so it sort of makes sense he would be for the trade because one is just like the other. After the first few breaks they finally got around to the fact that the team probably is going to need a RB sooner rather than later but you can find those anywhere. Rams haven’t had a first round pick since 2016.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Just saw the highlights of NLCS Game 4. Wow … Colton Wong sure shows up in those big games, eh? :dry:

On the other hand, the fans-dressing-as-baby-shark BS gets tired very quickly.

As with Matt Holliday, Wong should never live down getting picked off in the 9th inning of a World Series game.

Lebron
    Participant

Predictably the local media is now all-in on the Rams trade. Even the usually level headed (unless he’s chasing after Bieber) Keyshawn Johnson said that “Ramsey is better than anyone you will get in the draft…” The same drivel the Steelers fans used. Finally he brought up the fact that Tampa traded two first rounders for him and it got them to a championship so it sort of makes sense he would be for the trade because one is just like the other. After the first few breaks they finally got around to the fact that the team probably is going to need a RB sooner rather than later but you can find those anywhere. Rams haven’t had a first round pick since 2016.

And don’t have a first rounder until what, 2022?  George Allen would be proud.

I can get the idea of trading one first rounder and saying that’s likely better than what we would get and known v. unknown type stuff.  But 2 first rounders and a 4th?  I don’t get what it does for them now let alone the future as Ramsey’s contract is coming due and his WWE like entrance to training camp was a Brinks truck.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I can get the idea of trading one first rounder and saying that’s likely better than what we would get and known v. unknown type stuff. But 2 first rounders and a 4th? I don’t get what it does for them now let alone the future as Ramsey’s contract is coming due and his WWE like entrance to training camp was a Brinks truck.

Ramsey is precisely the wrong kind of player that you both give up too may high picks AND a lot of money to keep long-term. It was an anti-Belichick transaction if ever there was one. Textbook.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Schefter really stepped in to the useful idiot category last night with his Jalen Ramsey trade tweets.  One of his tweets starts with “It’s happening!” like he’s a teenage girl.  Guessing Ramsey’s agent just tweeted for him on his one phone while Schefty checked celeb news on his other phone.

Participant

Rams 2020 Cap projections

Aaron Donald $9,108,000
    $9,108,000
    $8,000,000 $0 $0 $0 $17,108,000
    $58,108,000
    ($41,000,000)
    Andrew Whitworth $10,000,000
    $750,000
    $5,159,168 $750,000 $0 $750,000 $16,659,168
    $5,909,168
    $10,750,000
    Brandin Cooks $1,000,000
    $10,459,000
    $4,800,000 $9,459,000 $0 $0 $15,259,000
    $37,059,000
    ($21,800,000)
    Dante Fowler, Jr. $9,000,000
    $12,000,000
    $0 $3,000,000 $0 $0 $12,000,000
    $12,000,000
    $0
    Michael Brockers $7,777,777 $750,000 $2,222,223 $250,000 $0 $10,750,000
    $750,000
    $10,000,000
    Jared Goff $1,000,000
    $1,000,000
    $9,629,577 $0 $0 $0 $10,629,577
    $61,672,259
    ($51,042,682)
    Feejis
    Participant

They traded a 2nd for Peters last year and everyone went gag over how awesome he is. Then dumped him to BAL for the privilege of trading two 1sts for Ramsey.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Schefter really stepped in to the useful idiot category last night with his Jalen Ramsey trade tweets. One of his tweets starts with “It’s happening!” like he’s a teenage girl. Guessing Ramsey’s agent just tweeted for him on his one phone while Schefty checked celeb news on his other phone.

I copied and pasted his tweet when I posted here. I reread it and took out the “It’s happening” part as I had the same reaction you did. :wall:

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

The Rams prime directive is to suck all the oxygen away from the Chargers. Winning is secondary as would be needing to gut the team once all the PSL’s have been sold in that fancy new Stadium….and thus far they are doing an excellent job.

https://deadspin.com/theres-no-good-reason-for-the-los-angeles-chargers-to-e-1839036513

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Pats play at Rams and Chargers next year in the new stadium, marking that as a potential road trip.

Participant

As athletic as the Far Side kid on the radio

https://youtu.be/zSazEa-ywGE

chicowalker
    Participant

:ohmy:   At least Bertrand is morbidly obese. That’s fucking awful. He runs like Dana Carvey as George Will being chased by Schmidt/lasorda

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Schefter really stepped in to the useful idiot category last night with his Jalen Ramsey trade tweets. One of his tweets starts with “It’s happening!” like he’s a teenage girl. Guessing Ramsey’s agent just tweeted for him on his one phone while Schefty checked celeb news on his other phone.

I copied and pasted his tweet when I posted here. I reread it and took out the “It’s happening” part as I had the same reaction you did. :wall:

Schefter also called Ramsey “the best cornerback in the NFL.”  I’m not sure Gilmore can play any better, but there’s some bulletin-board ammo to keep him motivated to try!

Lebron
    Participant

I’m probably missing the point of sucking the air out of the Chargers but don’t you want 2 relatively equal fanbases if possible, if nothing other than to sell tickets/parking/merch for 16 games v. 8?  Like the Giants aren’t really trying to destroy the Jets or vice versa, are they?  Not sure who owns the stadium in either case but I’d want 2 good fanbases selling the joint out every week.  And if the point is to suck the life out of the Chargers I’d think they Chargers did that to themselves, San Diego was there home and the Rams have obvious history in LA so it’s like trying to create a fanbase out of thin air.  Like if the Browns moved to Foxboro and split time with the Patriots there, like anyone is all of a sudden going to say yay go Browns I’m a Browns fan now?

Lebron
    Participant

:ohmy:At least Bertrand is morbidly obese. That’s fucking awful. He runs like Dana Carvey as George Will being chased by Schmidt/lasorda

Can’t describe it any better without being politically incorrect. :lol:

jforb
    Participant

How are the Rams going to compete with the Angels now that they have Genius Joe at the helm?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Suzy
    Participant

:ohmy:<noscript>:ohmy:</noscript>At least Bertrand is morbidly obese. That’s fucking awful. He runs like Dana Carvey as George Will being chased by Schmidt/lasorda

:lol: oh dear lord this has to be seen :blink: :lol:

jforb
    Participant

:ohmy:<noscript>:ohmy:</noscript>At least Bertrand is morbidly obese. That’s fucking awful. He runs like Dana Carvey as George Will being chased by Schmidt/lasorda

:lol: oh dear lord this has to be seen :blink: :lol:

And it can’t be unseen later

Coma
    Participant

I’m probably missing the point of sucking the air out of the Chargers but don’t you want 2 relatively equal fanbases if possible, if nothing other than to sell tickets/parking/merch for 16 games v. 8? Like the Giants aren’t really trying to destroy the Jets or vice versa, are they? Not sure who owns the stadium in either case but I’d want 2 good fanbases selling the joint out every week. And if the point is to suck the life out of the Chargers I’d think they Chargers did that to themselves, San Diego was there home and the Rams have obvious history in LA so it’s like trying to create a fanbase out of thin air. Like if the Browns moved to Foxboro and split time with the Patriots there, like anyone is all of a sudden going to say yay go Browns I’m a Browns fan now?

Someone said my name on Bufferchat?

Suzy
    Participant

Good job, good effort Cardinals

It’s kind of nice to see a team that could never get beyond the Divisional Series with Bryce Harper get to the World Series as soon as he leaves. Of course, seeing Volin tweet “So much Natitude” ruins everything.

As much hate and scorn as he receives (at least here), Volin’s cuntiness is underrated.

Not a Harper fan but this has to suck. :ohmy: :lol:

Glad to see the Nats heading to the series. They’re good and it’d be fun to see them win it all. Pretty cool that their first draft pick ever (Zimmerman) remains a contributing member of the team. The odds had to be pretty high against that, right?

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I’m probably missing the point of sucking the air out of the Chargers but don’t you want 2 relatively equal fanbases if possible, if nothing other than to sell tickets/parking/merch for 16 games v. 8? Like the Giants aren’t really trying to destroy the Jets or vice versa, are they? Not sure who owns the stadium in either case but I’d want 2 good fanbases selling the joint out every week. And if the point is to suck the life out of the Chargers I’d think they Chargers did that to themselves, San Diego was there home and the Rams have obvious history in LA so it’s like trying to create a fanbase out of thin air. Like if the Browns moved to Foxboro and split time with the Patriots there, like anyone is all of a sudden going to say yay go Browns I’m a Browns fan now?

I think it comes down to franchise value and business strategy. Nobody will ever go broke owning a NFL team (an NHL team, maybe) and  I agree the Giants aren’t really trying to destroy the Jets but the fact that the Giants are wroth almost a Billion dollars more than the Jets (give or take depending upon where you look) is not lost on Rams Ownership. Dominating the hearts and minds of LA Football fans for the 1st few years of co-existence in the same market goes a long way toward entrenching the Chargers as the ‘#2 team’ and likely locks in the extra franchise value for decades to come.

Your probably right though that the hierarchy between the Rams and Chargers is already set with the past history of the Rams. Some LA based version of Shank could spin quite the ‘ghost of Vince Ferragamo’ horse shit out of this.

jforb
    Participant

Someone said my name on Bufferchat?

Speaking of Gill, TJX is in the process of taking over my office building. Hit the cafeteria for the first time since it switched yesterday, guy slightly screwed up my taco salad and made it up by adding extra meat. I almost cracked up in front of the guy.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    chicowalker
    Participant

if you’ve never seen the skit, it’s funny (though the awesome Sam Donaldson part is edited out here) but the running is at 3:55

3 users thanked author for this post.

This Kid Gas column is a tour de force of smugness, projection, and intellectual dishonesty.

The breathless Brady breakdowns are missing the big picture, however. Instead of focusing on Brady’s thinly-veiled attempts to contain his frustration with a compromised passing game the focus should be on the source of said frustration — the fact that the wide receiver position has been mismanaged by the team for the past two years.

Now Gasper’s a mind-reader. Not only does he assume “frustration” that Brady has made “thinly-veiled attempts to contain”, but he knows that the source of this alleged frustration is the “compromised” passing game.  So upon presuming the frustration, the cover-up, and the source of frustration are true, he moves on to another unsupported allegation: the “fact” that the Pats have mismanaged the receiver position. It’s like watching an episode of “Ancient Aliens”; so long as the Ancient Journalist Theorists in the Globe sports department collectively believe something is true, he can move on to the next conjecture.

The revolving door of retreads, rookies, reclamation projects, or last resorts at wide receiver over the past two seasons has taken its toll on Touchdown Tom.

I can’t be sure Kid Gas didn’t write this just to have an excuse for excessive alliteration. He later makes a list of most of the receivers brought in since the Brandin Cooks trade:

Here’s a non-chronological list of some of the wide receiver options the team has auditioned over the past two seasons since it let Danny Amendola walk and traded away Brandin Cooks, who collected 1,082 yards and seven touchdowns in his only season: Jordan Matthews, Kenny Britt, Eric Decker, Corey Coleman, Bruce Ellington, Dontrelle Inman, Maurice Harris, Cameron Meredith, Devin Lucien, Bennie Fowler III, Amara Darboh, Chad Hansen, Riley McCarron, Braxton Berrios, Cordarrelle Patterson, and Demaryius Thomas, who was coming off a torn Achilles’ tendon.

You could make this list with any team over the same period. It’s the list of guys you bring in to compete for depth positions. By design, that’s gonna be guys you’re taking flyers on: guys coming off injuries, older guys who were productive earlier in their career, and seventh round rookies (and by the way, what’s wrong with somebody being a rookie?). A handful of guys on that list were camp fodder. There was no huge cap investment in any of them, and no great reliance on any of them to be the key to the offense.

His analysis lacks basic context, presuming desperation with every step. To Gasper’s eyes, pursuing Brown, or Gordon the year before that, was nothing more than desperation, trying to cover for not making sufficient measures at receiver earlier. But it ignores circumstance. It ignores the heartbreaking injuries to Malcolm Mitchell, who showed such promise in his rookie year. It ignores the injury to Matthews. It ignores the draft capital they expended on N’Keal Harry. Gasper dismisses the Harry pick with a smug wave, punctuated with his signature Thesaurus reach:

This is where Patriots propagandists point out that the team allocated a first-round pick to helping Brady, drafting wide receiver N’Keal Harry, the first wideout taken in the first round by Belichick in his illustrious tenure in Fort Foxborough. Even that had a tinge of exigency over erudition.

What’s funny is how in his attempt to show how poorly the Pats have managed the position, he reveals the exhaustive attempts they made to shore it up. They pursued two of the most talented receivers in the league (Gordon, Brown), twice in Brown’s case; they have allegedly dangled trade offers for top receivers like OBJ; they offered more money to top free agent Adam Humphries than what he accepted to go to Tennessee; they spent a first round pick on a receiver for the first time; and they’ve tried to shore up their receiver depth looking at a dozen or so receivers who had productivity elsewhere. And all they’ve had to show for it was finishing eighth in passing offense last year, ranking fifth in passing offense this year, oh, and winning a Super Bowl.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Dolphins now bench Rosen and go back to Fitzpatrick.  What difference does it make?  You gave up whatever to get Rosen, a 3rd round pick maybe?  You know what Fitzpatrick is, you aren’t trying to win games.  Just run Rosen out there until he’s beaten to a pulp then leave him out with the trash.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 163 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar