Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 10/15/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 56 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  thatsnotwhatisaid 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Simmons podcast: “I don’t remember a game possibly hinging on a defensive player laying off for fear of a penalty.”

On the same play where Brady ran it in, the Chiefs were also flagged for defensive holding, so worst case scenario it’s first and goal at the 1.

Also, I can remember a number of times a defensive player lets off a player headed out of bounds only for that player to stay inbounds to go on and score. Kordell Stewart in the playoffs way back when comes to mind.

Participant

In San Francisco, where my daughter and grandchildren live.

“I have really grown to appreciate and love San Francisco over the years—and not just because my daughter Laura met her wife Kim there, and Kim has become such an invaluable part of our lives, and because our two grandchildren have been born there. ”

“No catcalling postings, painted into sidewalks in their neighborhood, strike me as so progressive and important these days, and that yelling sexist and sexual crap at women is not okay. And the library … sharing books, for free, is something we should encourage at a time when we veer altogether toward the phone and away from the printed page. I realize San Francisco has so many issues now, and homelessness is an epidemic. Cities can’t get everything right. I know nothing about the politics of the place. I just know when I visit there I feel like I’m visiting an enlightened city, a beautiful city, that is trying.”

Not only doesn’t Bob play by the rules – but his father was the District Attorney.

“Bob Sutton—who gets a ton of respect from the Patriots—doesn’t play by everyone else’s rules.”

Me neither.

“I can’t see anyone beating the Astros.”

With the young people and the baggy pants and the hipping and hopping….

“Cool video of the week: “Girls Like You,” by Maroon 5. See how many of the guest stars you can ID. (Clue: It will be more than I can. I got Ellen, Aly Raisman and Danica Patrick. I think Alex Morgan is in there too, but I can’t swear to it.)”

Humphrey
    Participant

A Peter King Trifecta.

Sutton is under fire because KC’s defense is a sieve.

SF is getting heavy criticism for letting the homeless situation get out of control.

And he’s pimping Maroon 5 because a lot of people don’t like that the NFL picked them for the Super Bowl halftime show.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Lots of 16-0 talk in these parts today on the radio. Also, not one person on the radio this morning gives one crap that Machado refuses to run out routine ground balls. As the hosts of the morning sports show say “He’s more than earned it”. Quite a difference from the braintrust on sports radio in Boston when a player of color refuses to run out ground balls and they want to run the player out of town. The only person I noticed who was offended was Rob Lowe on Twitter who wanted Machado benched. Good sound strategy there in the playoffs.

Lebron
    Participant

I love how Pete is always pimping how hard a guy like Joe Buck works.  It’s his busy season!  Also enjoy him throwing in that he and his wife have twins, like Buck is changing diapers and breast feeding.

Participant

It’s a lawless environment down there Danny!

Dan Israel@danisraelkc

Claude45
    Participant

Is “cat calling” really that big of an issue that you need it on the sidewalks all over town? Does Pete live in a virtual Pepe LePew cartoon?

Lebron
    Participant

It that’s the guy who asses out with that “Touchdown  Kannnn-saaaahhhh City!” call I hope they pissed on his Cheerios while they were at it.

jforb
    Participant

Is “cat calling” really that big of an issue that you need it on the sidewalks all over town? Does Pete live in a virtual Pepe LePew cartoon?

If skunks smell like Starbucks and citrus beer maybe.

Lebron
    Participant

Coach of the Week
    Don “Wink” Martindale, defensive coordinator, Baltimore.

Jesus Christ.  Pete is the worst with nicknames or more specifically co-opting them in the worst possible way.

Shout out to the Ravens social media team for renaming the account RavenSSSSSSSSSSS, one ‘S’ for each sack.

They must be Valuencers.  Creative.

Lebron
    Participant

Yeah Pete, San Francisco isn’t the only place with those neighborhood book boxes.  A nice old couple down the street does that in our neighborhood.  And another couple at the base of a popular cycling hill maintains a daily fresh cooler of water for cyclists/walkers/dog walkers.  Fuck you.

Lebron
    Participant

Spanos was well-respected around the league as an ultimate league guy.

Well, he was well respected except for that time when the league fucked him on the LA deal.

Coma
    Participant

Being an overly sensitive Patriots honk, the QB comparison graphic in the 4th quarter did not escape my notice. At that point, Brady had around 200 yards, 1 TD and a lost fumble. For Mahomes, they listed his total yards and that he had 4 TDs in the second half. No mention of his two interceptions. The announcers brought them up, but why try to hide it when you’re doing a QB comparison?

The two interceptions by Mahomes were pretty important because 1 set the Patriots up for an easy TD and the second took at least the opportunity for a FG away from the Chiefs.

Lebron
    Participant

Pete has a soft spot for the Ravens d-line coach, who passed out naked and drunk in a Subway parking lot 12 years ago while coaching at Ole Miss.

People can grow, change and improve their lives.

Funny, I don’t recall him taking that perspective with Josh Gordon.

chicowalker
    Participant

They used to throw things at Lenny Dawson

I love that Pete is fascinated by the little library, like it’s a San Francisco thing.  Every playground I bring my daughter to has one.  Speaking of- we’re there almost every day. Not yesterday (pumpkin patch :dry: ) when my favorite Friar of all time was there to help celebrate the renovation of this fever dream of a basketball court

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/20181014/providence-basketball-courts-murals-fast-break-from-norm

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  chicowalker.

jforb
    Participant

Pete has a soft spot for the Ravens d-line coach, who passed out naked and drunk in a Subway parking lot 12 years ago while coaching at Ole Miss.

People can grow, change and improve their lives.

Funny, I don’t recall him taking that perspective with Josh Gordon.

Wonder what’s different about them.

Participant

Being an overly sensitive Patriots honk, the QB comparison graphic in the 4th quarter did not escape my notice. At that point, Brady had around 200 yards, 1 TD and a lost fumble. For Mahomes, they listed his total yards and that he had 4 TDs in the second half. No mention of his two interceptions. The announcers brought them up, but why try to hide it when you’re doing a QB comparison?

The two interceptions by Mahomes were pretty important because 1 set the Patriots up for an easy TD and the second took at least the opportunity for a FG away from the Chiefs.

The 12 additional yards Mahomes threw for the game were far more magical than what YOUR qb did caller.

Claude45
    Participant

Small thing but last night at the Pats, there were no announcements or big screen highlights of the Red Sox. They had the score up on one of the boards but unless i missed it, no live acknowledgment which they have done in the past. Maybe the Pats have had enough of the Sox.

They must be Valuencers. Creative.

That reminds me, I saw a “Shark Tank” rerun that had this guy who hired people he called “Passionaries”. He must be Gill’s patron saint.

I love that Pete is fascinated by the little library, like it’s a San Francisco thing. Every playground I bring my daughter to has one.

One of the reasons these damn things are everywhere is it’s one of the suggestions for Girl Scouts to get their Silver awards. I know because it’s what my daughter chose. She was supposed to arrange for its posting at our church playground a year ago. Fucking thing’s still taking up space in my garage.  :ozzy:

Lebron
    Participant

I love that Pete is fascinated by the little library, like it’s a San Francisco thing. Every playground I bring my daughter to has one. Speaking of- we’re there almost every day. Not yesterday (pumpkin patch :dry: ) when my favorite Friar of all time was there to help celebrate the renovation of this fever dream of a basketball court

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/20181014/providence-basketball-courts-murals-fast-break-from-norm

That was my senior year.  I didn’t recall going to that game then looked it up and it was 2 days before Christmas, hence one of the few games I missed.  Lost to Seton Hall in the Sweet 16 that year.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

It keeps getting flagged as spam so I can’t link to it but Deadspin as a cute video of the Foxboro faithful flipping the bird and tossing beer on Tyreek Hill.

Participant

Sure thing Matt, they’ve been so unfair to him up to this point, they really do owe him a “solid”. :wall:

ESPN analyst Matt Hasselbeck suggested Sunday that the Giants trade Manning to the Jaguars to give the 37-year-old another shot at a Super Bowl and a fresh start for the 1-5 Giants. Jacksonville has been a popular suggestion for Manning as he and the Giants have gone 4-18 combined this season and last. His old coach, Tom Coughlin, is the Jaguars’ president, and Blake Bortles is their inconsistent starting quarterback.

“I would do Eli Manning a solid. I would trade him to the Jacksonville Jaguars. Jacksonville has a team and they’re making a run,” Hasselbeck said on “Sunday NFL Countdown.”

Humphrey
    Participant

Small thing but last night at the Pats, there were no announcements or big screen highlights of the Red Sox. They had the score up on one of the boards but unless i missed it, no live acknowledgment which they have done in the past. Maybe the Pats have had enough of the Sox.

I was happy as hell that neither TBS nor NBC had a score ticker running during the game…didn’t want to know what was happening in the other game.

Humphrey
    Participant

I was happy as hell that neither TBS nor NBC had a score ticker running during the game…didn’t want to know what was happening in the other game.

Sure thing Matt, they’ve been so unfair to him up to this point, they really do owe him a “solid”. :wall:

ESPN analyst Matt Hasselbeck suggested Sunday that the Giants trade Manning to the Jaguars to give the 37-year-old another shot at a Super Bowl and a fresh start for the 1-5 Giants. Jacksonville has been a popular suggestion for Manning as he and the Giants have gone 4-18 combined this season and last. His old coach, Tom Coughlin, is the Jaguars’ president, and Blake Bortles is their inconsistent starting quarterback.

“I would do Eli Manning a solid. I would trade him to the Jacksonville Jaguars. Jacksonville has a team and they’re making a run,” Hasselbeck said on “Sunday NFL Countdown.”

The run Jax is making seems to be to third place in the division. They are now tied with the Texans and the Titans.

Feejis
    Participant

I thought Slater got blocked in the back just as he was about to tackle the returner on that long one.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Red Sox showed Pats highlights on the big screen – through the score that put them at 24.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

Great game last night. Gronk must really be hobbled, but that stiffarm was unbelievable. It is readily apparent that they still have shitloads of improvements to make in the passing game, which is amazing.

Harmon stinks right now.  That Hill touchdown was like the 45th worst play he’s made all season.  I know he’s made some big picks, including in the end zone last night, but he is late to fucking everything.  Trying not to be reactionary either – in the JAX game I honestly thought he was drunk. If there was a trade that upgraded their back line, I would be thrilled to see it.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Talking football only, I think I would play 2018 Blake Bortles over 2018 Eli Manning though the stats favor Eli slightly. A move to Eli wouldn’t be a clear upgrade, at least.

jforb
    Participant

Also, this from Kacsmar probably means fixing the QB isn’t the instant answer

Just putting this one out there: the Jaguars have allowed 40 points three times since Week 16 last year (including playoffs). That’s the most in the NFL in that span, and tied for the most since the start of 2017.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

I thought Slater got blocked in the back just as he was about to tackle the returner on that long one.

He got held first, then when the defender released he gave him a shove from behind.

Coma
    Participant

Talking football only, I think I would play 2018 Blake Bortles over 2018 Eli Manning though the stats favor Eli slightly. A move to Eli wouldn’t be a clear upgrade, at least.

Bortles is significantly more mobile than Eli, plus there isn’t a WR as talented Beckham in Jacksonville, either. If Manning went to the Jaguars, it would just be the same parade of excuses, just with different names – “Fournette’s not totally healthy, so Eli’s not getting the help he needs, Westbrooks not a real #1 receiver, Josh Wells can’t block anyone, etc”

Coma
    Participant

It keeps getting flagged as spam so I can’t link to it but Deadspin as a cute video of the Foxboro faithful flipping the bird and tossing beer on Tyreek Hill.

Given his past, you’d think Hill would be on the permanent shitlist with Deadspin. When it comes to taking a shot at the Patriots and their fans, though, I guess choking and punching out a pregnant woman can be ignored.

chicowalker
    Participant

When Coughlin leaves a place, the narrative has always been “players can breath easy for once, no more 5 minutes early is late.” etc.  Probably flipped here- “Bortles may suck, but at least I don’t have to hear Coach, Archie on line 2 50 times a day”

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Jacksonville convinced themselves to a man that if they beat the it would all click into place for them and it would be smooth sailing to a #1 or #2 seed. A month later they’ve gone 1-3 while the Pats have gone 3-1. They don’t even look like a candidate for ‘Team X” anymore. The only thing that will keep them in the playoff hunt is the crap-tastic division they play in.

Lebron
    Participant

Given his past, you’d think Hill would be on the permanent shitlist with Deadspin. When it comes to taking a shot at the Patriots and their fans, though, I guess choking and punching out a pregnant woman can be ignored.

But there’s positively no way those fans knew about his past.  Uh uh.  Not a chance.  They’re just typical drunk piece of shit Massholes.  Besides, they got married, so it couldn’t have been that bad!  And at least he didn’t commit murder like that Patriots guy!

Humphrey
    Participant

Simmons podcast: “I don’t remember a game possibly hinging on a defensive player laying off for fear of a penalty.”

On the same play where Brady ran it in, the Chiefs were also flagged for defensive holding, so worst case scenario it’s first and goal at the 1.

Also, I can remember a number of times a defensive player lets off a player headed out of bounds only for that player to stay inbounds to go on and score. Kordell Stewart in the playoffs way back when comes to mind.

And how could we forget this one? Harmon would have clobbered Kearse not that many seasons before this happened and it would have been 100% legal. Instead he goes out of his way to not touch him.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Humphrey.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Coach of the Week

Jesus Christ. Pete is the worst with nicknames or more specifically co-opting them in the worst possible way.

Shout out to the Ravens social media team for renaming the account RavenSSSSSSSSSSS, one ‘S’ for each sack.

Pete didn’t come up with the nickname. He is always referred to as ‘Wink.’

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Participant

He got held first, then when the defender released he gave him a shove from behind.

Paraphrasing Cris here, “Frank Zombo took care of Slater” is how I thought he described the replay

Lebron
    Participant

Coach of the Week

Jesus Christ. Pete is the worst with nicknames or more specifically co-opting them in the worst possible way.

Pete didn’t come up with the nickname. He is always referred to as ‘Wink.’

I didn’t think he did, which is why I said ‘or more specifically co-opting’ but whatever.  It’s a shitty nickname anyhow, a game show host.  Like anyone that says ‘Boogie’ Cousins outside of Rod Strickland is a gigantic douchebag.

Hacksaw
    Participant

The run Jax is making seems to be to third place in the division. They are now tied with the Texans and the Titans.

The AFC Soft or Peyton Manning Entitlement Division.

Tom Pepper
    Participant

Jesus, this cunt again? I’m sure its just his standard reaction to all beverage throwers and he’s not overly excited about it because its “Boston”.

Feejis
    Participant

Waxpack Finn had to include an anti-football disclaimer in his ratings note today. What a douche.

Lebron
    Participant

Someone on twitter posted a picture of Andrews getting a coffee thrown at him on his way to the locker room after they beat Pittsburgh last year in the face of “only in Boston/ban the beer thrower” bullshit.  Don’t recall any outrage then.  Kimbrel had something thrown at him in the bullpen in NY last week, didn’t seem to warrant calling up the National Guard like this seems to have.

Claude45
    Participant

Whoever has the season tickets where that person was sitting in will lose their seats. The punishment will be greater than the Kimbrel beer thrower for example.

I also sure that a wallflower like Hill was not going to antagonize the fans sitting in the front row with some quality preening once he got to the wall. Why stop at banning the fan, let’s move all Boston team home games out of state!! I’m shocked and outraged after all!!!

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Whoever has the season tickets where that person was sitting in will lose their seats.

No. IF the ST holder sold them through the Ticket Exchange, they won’t. If that guy was the STH or a friend of his, his tickets are toast.

Feejis
    Participant

Whoever has the season tickets where that person was sitting in will lose their seats.

No. IF the ST holder sold them through the Ticket Exchange, they won’t. If that guy was the STH or a friend of his, his tickets are toast.

This is why I formerly instructed folks to destroy their tickets upon entry. Then they couldn’t be traced back so easily. I called it the Chico Walker defense.

Now I don’t really care about losing my tickets.

Claude45
    Participant

Exactly. That’s what I said at the time! I was right at the time!

Claude45
    Participant

I’m in some sort of hellish loop where I enjoy hate listening Simmons so much that I think I’m actually a fan. His ego, inflated self-worth and over estimation of talents/intelligence are unparalleled. Delusional to the point of mental illness.

With Matt Damon

“The poker boom was a problem for guys that are as smart and competitive as us.”

That stands alone.

Today with Cousin Sal

“There’s something off this year gambling. I can’t win and all my rules are not working.”

Right, you’re shitty at picking games so it’s the world that’s off, not you. Your rules have always been garbage. The only reason they work  at all is you make them up retroactively, asshole.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

This is why I formerly instructed folks to destroy their tickets upon entry. Then they couldn’t be traced back so easily. I called it the Chico Walker defense.

Now I don’t really care about losing my tickets.

Genius. If we ever have to pull a heist, I’m nominating you to plan it.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar